/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/help/help.html
debgen.simplylinux.ch/index.php?generate
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Feh&oldid=374602
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for PCLinuxOS!

Second for helping the GNU Project and the Free Software Movement
gnu.org/help/help.html

nth for void, gentoo, devuan, alpine, crux, slackware, source mage.

That's my nigga

Why does the OpenSUSE installer default to btrfs, when it's still not a very reliable filesystem?

All of my laptops are broken and I'm stuck using an Asus netbook (1005ha I think) for work. Will Gnome 3 run smoothly enough on this thing? Is Budgie any faster? If possible I'd like to stay away from tiling WMs or Gnome 2 throwbacks

Is Solus stable enough to use for work? Is most software compatible with it? Has anyone done any serious Perl web dev on it?

Because opensuse is a great idea with a crappy realisation

Is it 1999?

Thank god for Geckolinux.

How so? Please elaborate, I'm very interested.

I repost my stupid question from the old thread. So, how can i get my username if i already work as root? I tried create a variable before i change user by root, but it is doesn't works - the variable contains "0".

#here i am a simple user yet
let BLABLA=$USER
if [ $USER != 'root' ]; then
echo ":("
else
echo "$BLABLA" #0 (zero)
#how can i get my username here? $USER is "root" now
fi

>nth for void
Yes my fellow black-coloroued user

Perl is great for modern web dev since Plack has been a thing

perl in gerneral is great

echo $SUDO_USER should work if you used sudo.

How does Void compare to Arch? Is Void suitable for every day use even if I do normie stuff?

Its a shame PHP won. If it wasn't for it being so easy to use on shared hosting we'd be living in a Perl dominated world right now

what is non-normie stuff?

Oh, yes, thanks a lot!

why
perl -e 'map{my$qw;map{!$q[$_]&&rand>.993?do{$q[$_]=${[qw$Just another Perl hacker$]}[$qq++].q$.$x5 .q$ $x5;$qq=$qq>3?0:$qq}:0;$q[$_]?do{($qx, $q[$_])=split//,$q[$_],2;$qw.=$qx}:{$qw.=q$ $}}1..70;;print$qw,$/;select$a,$a,$a,.06}1..300'

Anyone?

Risking to be lynched, I use to say that

>Void is like Arch, but a little easier for noobs like me.

Has some kind of guided installation process iirc, is cutting edge iirc and it has all software you would find in onther distros. Lacks AUR afaik and, idk, pretty much same philosophy.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Sudo poweroff

$ date +'hello world'
hello world
$ ^world^faggot
date +'hello faggot'
hello faggot

eclean-kernel

sudo apt-get purge $(vrms -s)

>no Lumina edition
Dropped.

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

Make sure you run it as root.

found the 12 year old

Since you don't want GNOME 2 throwbacks, GNOME 3 or stuff based on it and KDE are your only options. None of these are that "light". I use Debian Stretch w/ GNOME 3, animations off on my haswell i3 laptop and shitty 5k rpm hdd. Albeit a bit slow to open programs and not perfectly smooth I would still recommend it.

Are you aware that drives have numbers?

Fun game. There is a 1 in 2^(number of bits of storage on your drive) chance that everything on it will stay the same.

How the hell can I make this persist through boots? Mate and gnome offer the functionality with their gui but xfce does not.

>xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = ISO_Level3_Shift"

PUPPY LINUX

WHAT DISTRO/VARIANT/FLAVOUR

add it to autostart?
stop yelling, jesus christ

Void's much better than Arch for me, for a lot of reasons. Runit best init, xbps works slightly better than pacman and there's xbps-src. Feels cleaner and faster.. I just hope it's not going to die in the next years.

Start with the latest Puppy. It likely has more features and less problems. If you want the widest possible selection of applications use the latest puppy that is binary-compatible with a well stock distro (usually Ubuntu or Debian). If you are the DIY type use the latest puppy build exclusively from self-compiled packages (usually T2 or LFS). For something in between use the latest puppy that is compatible with a “good old” distro (usually Slackware).

>yelling
FUCK YOU IM NOT YELLING. ITS ALL TEXT

Best distro for a x100e?

I tried ubuntu mate and it ran like shit.

it's a 64 bit 1.6 ghz single core amd gpu and 4 gigs of ram

How's Sid? Trying to decide between Sid and Stretch.

Try Debian stretch or jessie, and XFCE of course.

ok I will, cheers

I used to run sid but then I "settled down" with stretch which will soon be stable. Whatever you do it's always smart to have /home on a separate partition to more easily upgrade/downgrade/switch distros.

> ywn be gang with rms

is sleep just an infinite loop that checks the time in each iteration ?

Some computers have timers that trigger an interrupt when it is complete to save power.

No that would peg out the cpu and use lots of power. It uses some kind of timer/interrupt.

Chaps, is there any reason I should use Ubuntu over Debian Sid?

but how does the timer know when to stop if it doesn't check the time in some infinite loop?

I'm going to settle down with Fedora MATE, is this bad?

Okay Gnome 3 was a no go on my netbook. What's the best lightweight DE? Cinnamon and MATE seem like the most popular choices. Is Budgie going too much for this old 2010 Atom?

Is there a way to make an executable file ran only by one user at a time?

Partitions have numbers. That would erase the entire drive. And also does not make any sense, the speed would be limited by the entropy. he should have read from /dev/zero

yes

But why? For me Fedora has been the distribution and MATE the DE that "just work".

I think OpenSUSE would be a better fit but I can't install that shit, it comes bundled with a ton of bloat and never works.

urandom doesn't block though, so even though it's not as fast as /dev/zero it's good enough
try dd status=progress if=/dev/urandom of=tmpfile

I don't really know or care

just don't try to reimplement a timer with std::chrono in a while loop if your computer has one built in already.

use debian/devuan and xfce

botnets..
botnets everywhere..

I think I can settle for Debian instead. Debian Testing keeps rolling after 9.0, no?

I actually prefer mate over xfce.

I always see people mention XFCE as a lightweight DE. Have you considered only using a WM? I have been using i3wm on a 2007 laptop for a couple of years now, it takes some time to set it up though. Perhaps some other Anons might recommend an a WM that's easier to use?

Is there an equivalent to Honeyview on Linux? Feh seems sort of like it, just a minimal image viewer, but it doesn't let you cycle through images in a folder and I don't think it supports .cbz or .cbr

There isn't really much use for Fedora.

As far as desktops go, you would be much better with Debian Sid/Ubuntu. Mainly due to software availability, some make the case that using Fedora keeps them in the Redhat family of operating systems but that is far from the case as Fedora is simply a test bed for Redhat/CentOS.

A timer is a piece of hardware within the processor. Therefore it does not require code to operate and sets the instruction pointer to the interrupt service routine when it fires. This is handled by the kernel appropriately to make sleep et al work.

If you want to use Debian, use Sid instead of testing since Sid receives security updates regularly as soon as they arrive and testing can take up to two weeks for security updates to be implemented.

Try some tiling WM, probably. Lightweight, the same floating-mode like a other DE and you also can disable stupid window borders, which eat your free space in your small display.

>it doesn't let you cycle through images in a folder
thera's a ton of scripts for that, if you just knew how to use a search engine

Yes. If you instead want to stay on 9.0 when it is stable use the keyword "stretch" instead of "testing" in your sources.list

Does Sid work like a rolling release distro?

Yeah it does

Yeah, but I don't want to spend half an hour googling scripts and bug fixes when I could just download something that works out of the box.

I didn't want to say anything in the hope someone with more knowledge than me comes along, but feh of course supports cycling through images in a folder -without- scripts:
feh *

Where the hell am I supposed to find Sid .iso? I'm only finding Jessie and Stretch.

he's obviously not running it from the command line

you don't even need the * btw, you can just type feh and it will automatically load all images in the current dir

My friends that work in Netsec told me this. If you want to use something Redhat then it has to be Redhat/CentOS, but they shouldn't be used as a desktop/workstation.

If you want desktop/workstation use Ubuntu or Debian Sid.

non gnome spins on fedora tend to be less polished overall but go for it user

oh fuck right off, you can't say that fedora is a redhat beta distro and then go on to recommend debian UNSTABLE with a straight face

There is no Sid iso, do a regular Debian install and then change the sources.list to 'unstable' where it says the current name e.g Jessie/Stretch.

To do this;

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

then do;

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

You're supposed to go from stable -> testing -> unstable or testing -> unstable. One does this by modifying sources.list, apt update, apt full-upgrade each step up. For sources.list you can use debgen.simplylinux.ch/index.php?generate

Well this is good enough for now, at least until I figure out how to get cbzs working. There's also a lot of screen tearing in fullscreen mode when images are changed or you move the image around the screen but that can be overlooked.

Debian unstable is perfectly usable, the name is not suitable at all. For Debian, unstable simply means up to date.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Feh&oldid=374602
>The following script is useful for file browsers. It will display your selected image in feh, but it will enable you to browse all other images in the directory as well, in their default order, i.e. as if you had run "feh *" and cycled through to the selected image.
>The script assumes the first argument is the filename.
#!/bin/bash

shopt -s nullglob

if [[ ! -f $1 ]]; then
echo "$0: first argument is not a file" >&2
exit 1
fi

file=$(basename -- "$1")
dir=$(dirname -- "$1")
arr=()
shift

cd -- "$dir"

for i in *; do
[[ -f $i ]] || continue
arr+=("$i")
[[ $i == $file ]] && c=$((${#arr[@]} - 1))
done

exec feh "$@" -- "${arr[@]:c}" "${arr[@]:0:c}"

>Save as feh_browser.sh
>Invoke the script with the selected image's path, followed by any additional arguments to feh. Here is an example of a launcher that you can use in a file browser:
/path/to/script/feh_browser.sh %f -F -Z

took ~1 min

I would like to update my distro.
sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade want to remoce a shittons of libs, why not, but also Wine.
Isn't dist-upgrade suppose to remove unneeded packages ? How Wine is on his list ?

Is there a difference between apt-get upgrade and apt upgrade ?

Does APT track packages installed with dpkg (Chrome, Teamviewer) ?

>Debian unstable is perfectly usable
KEK. Literally breaks more than Arch with none of the benefits.

>If you want to use something Redhat then it has to be Redhat/CentOS, but they shouldn't be used as a desktop/workstation.

rhel/centos make bad desktop/workstation distros for all the normal reasons "stable" distros make bad desktop distros: ancient packages, if you want a version of a package that isn't 6+ months out of date you're shit out of luck

fedora on the other hand is bleeding edge and is designed for desktop/workstation use, the only legitimate argument against it is software availability which rpmfusion tries to mitigate but you can sometimes be on the shit end of the stick

in all other cases fedora is more recent than ubuntu and is more relevant if you work with centos

Holy shit Debian seems to be a very versatile distro, my whole life is a lie.

Debian MATE here I come.

you might be interested in

(((Linux))) is just more (((jew))) (((communism)))

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>dd
>not cat
what is this dd autism?

You can shill your (((open source))) OS all you want, it'll never catch on.

>cat
>not pv
go with the times grandpa

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as an open source OS, is in fact, a "free" OS.

Free Software*

That is true, Fedora is a fantastic distribution. You are correct about RPMFusion, but also the team behind Fedora isn't as big as Ubuntu and can't provide the same support. In many situations companies need that support for their workstations.

>not attacking your drive with an axe
do you even hack