Yfw Chromebooks are the closest desktop Linux has ever come to the mainstream

>yfw Chromebooks are the closest desktop Linux has ever come to the mainstream
>"the year of the Linux desktop" will be achieved through ChromeOS

>they only had to put their OS on pre-built hardware and advertise it to the general public

Well shucks. Why can't the rest of the desktop Linux community figure that out? Putting spinning cubes in your distro is not going to automatically bring users to Linux.

Google has been one of the best things to happen to Linux.

Android and ChromeOS have been miracles for the Linux community.

YFW, I bought a Chromebook and run Linux on it.

>yfw chrome os is gentoo

Google will begin to abandon Linux when Fuchsia is viable.

Does this really surprise anyone?

Linux was never designed to be a home user system
Tons of concurring and slightly incompatible "standards" and distros don't help either, and that even professional distros sometimes ship "stable" releases with broken components is also fucking ridiculous

Fuschia is a academic project designed for experimentation.
Kinda like how Haskell is to programming languages.
It's not going to become a viable OS.

INSTALL
GENTOO

They're working on it....

More power to them. I hope they will be able to get it into retail stores and raise a decent advertising budget to gain visibility amongst consumers.

>desktop
>Chromebooks

Desktop Linux refers to the operating system environment, not the machine itself.

>Linux was never designed to be a home user system
>t. alternative facts

>implying UNIX was
>implying linux was

If you want to see a home user system, look at MacOS 9, BeOS or Win9x

>Linux was never designed to be a home user system
Linux wasn't ever designed to be an actual system. You think Linus made it exclusively for servers when he first started his little hobby kernel?

Stop spreading your bullshit and go elsewhere.

>You think Linus made it exclusively for servers when he first started his little hobby kernel?
He made an UNIX clone, and UNIX ran exclusively on servers with connected terminals when it was made

Because UNIX wasn't ever used as a workstation, ever. Of course.

Yes, decades after it was designed.

Linus bought a computer but didn't like the operating system so he started his own as a project. It was meant for a home user because the home user made it himself (with some help from interested people). That's as home user system as it can get. Also it was later combined with GNU which also wants to be on the desktop and not just servers. So that's two points for home user side. Stop getting your "facts" from Apple, Linux isn't "for servers".

>being this buttmad about trump that you have to bring him up in completely unrelated shit
I'm just saying that Linux is not designed to be user friendly (aka for normal home users) by default. And the shitty UI toolkits don't help either

>buttmad
Trump just created a meme by being a moron, I don't give a fuck about him. I have a different president here, which I also don't care for. It was nicer to call your bullshit an alternative fact rather than lying/trolling/being stupid.
>I'm just saying that Linux is not designed to be user friendly
Yes which is wrong, there are distros that focus primarily on that like Mint and Ubuntu. Even my grandmother has had no problems after I installed Mint for her. She's as normal as they get.

Agreed. Chromebooks are totally great. And most of the latest ones (released in 2017) now feature IPS screens and not garbage TN panels - yet they are very affordable.

The best thing with these, in my opinion, is that you can replace that cloud-based ChromeOS spyware with any GNU/LInux distribution easy as pie. These things are always fully compatible with any distribution.

The only thing that really prevents me from buying a new one of these things right now is that they never back keyboard backlight. To me that's essential to have for a small device that I'll probably use on late night buss and train rides.

I don't think you even know what "year of the Linux desktop" means. It has nothing to do with popularity and everything to do with viability. It is already a viable desktop operating system. I run Arch Linux on my work issued macbook pro, on my home server, and on my primary desktop. My gaming machine dual boots SteamOS and Windows (Windows will be removed soon as SteamVR for Linux leaves beta).

The rare occasions where I have to interact with Windows or OSX I find myself constantly frustrated by the OS.

Linux, as it exists now, totally is for servers.

Sure, Linus meant for it to be something else, but it's an entirely different beast today.

Linus literally talks down on anyone who's tried to adapt the kernel that would improve UX for desktops (such as issues regarding schedulers).

90% of the effort into Linux is for server OS. All the paid devs on Linux contribute to it for server purposes.

> (You)
>Linux, as it exists now, totally is for servers.
This is still not true.
>Sure, Linus meant for it to be something else, but it's an entirely different beast today.
The biggest distros apart from CentOS and Red Hat are desktop-oriented distros.
>Linus literally talks down on anyone who's tried to adapt the kernel that would improve UX for desktops (such as issues regarding schedulers).
Source? Did he say the reason for that is "Linux isn't even FOR desktops, it's for servers you idiot!"
>90% of the effort into Linux is for server OS. All the paid devs on Linux contribute to it for server purposes.
Linux is damn great for servers and everything that's tweaked under the hood benefits everyone, desktop and server users. There are many different desktop environments and even new ones are being created, like the one in Elementary OS and the one in Solus. When Canonical made Unity they didn't make it to be the best DE for servers, it was for desktop use obviously. Servers don't even have DEs always, just CLI.

>Linux, as it exists now, totally is for servers.
>This is still not true.

Don't be autistic. It's obvious I meant "oriented," not literally "it can only be used on servers."

>The biggest distros apart from CentOS and Red Hat are desktop-oriented distros.
Look at how it gets used. Like Source? Did he say the reason for that is "Linux isn't even FOR desktops, it's for servers you idiot!"
Google it (the ck patches are a good lead). But I think moreso he felt it was an unnecessary division of efforts and that Linux shouldn't be split into desktop-orientation and server-orientation, and that Linux as it is is "good enough" (which totally isn't true).

> Linux is damn great for servers and everything that's tweaked under the hood benefits everyone, desktop and server users.
What benefits servers does not necessarily benefit desktop users. That's just straight up non-sequitur.

haha
Fuck no.

Why not?

Good build quality for cheap and ability to clear os and put in based linux. Absolutely yummy.

I have an Acer Chromebook with Linux on it, literally Just Werks™

Which Linux?

GNU/Linux.

You can't touch type?

System76 is a similar project using Ubuntu, significantly more support, and it hasn't made it anywhere close to retail shelves even though it has been around for many years.

No it isn't. ChromeOS is as much Gentoo as it is Ubuntu. That is, it was at some point built on both of those distributions, but the only thing remotely Gentoo about present-day ChromeOS is that they use portage for package management. Besides that, ChromeOS is its own distribution.

Not him, but even though I have touch type mastered for alphanumerical keys, things like brightness and media keys are a pain in the butt on my laptop's keyboard that doesn't have any backlight.

any recommendations for chromebooks to buy and slap arch on?

Am I missing something or didn't Android is an unix branch?

>IRIX
>HP-UX
>OS X
>Solaris

Thank you, Google employee, for the information. So much Linux to choose from anyway.

There are already plenty laptops with linux on them

Your grandma sounds cool
Mine could barely use a TV set

>The best thing with these, in my opinion, is that you can replace that cloud-based ChromeOS spyware with any GNU/LInux distribution easy as pie. These things are always fully compatible with any distribution.

What are locked bootloaders

>can't detect sarcasm
Found the autist

Desktop is dying so in the future lincucks might inherit the platform, since they're poorfaging luddites

>unironically using a google operating system on a laptop