Could I replace my steering wheel with an Xbox 360 controller and drive my car with it?

Could I replace my steering wheel with an Xbox 360 controller and drive my car with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If mythbusters could do it you probably could.

You technically could.

You'll probably violate some vehicle laws or some shit, but it's definitely possible.

Not a good Idea, It is too finicky and god forbid you drop the controller.

I dunno, I think SAAB had a car that was controlled by a joystick in the center. Or was it BMW? either way, it was ass.

It would definitely be an interesting build, it wouldn't even be that hard to pull off, considering all cars are completely drive-by-wire now, and there's no encryption or security anywhere in the ECU, so you can just override them with a raspi and a wireless receiver for your controller.

No, that's stupid. There's a reason serious racing sim fans use steering wheels, it's a better input method for driving a car. Thumbsticks are too finicky and can have giant deadzones. You'll get more precision with a wheel.

>there's no encryption or security anywhere in the ECU
*Moves closer to mic*
Wrong!

>all cars are completely drive-by-wire now
lol no

I reckon it would be like driving a car in dashboard mode in first person view. I crash way more. Alot of drivers prefer hydraulic powersteering and mechanical throttles as opposed to electric, I think this would be one more level of removing your feedback.
also
>Battery light starts blinking. No brakes.

What racing game faggots don't understand is that driving a car at high speeds is almost NOTHING like playing a video game.
You NEED to hold on to the steering wheel when making sharp turns, you're going to be swaying around like an idiot with your controller up to your chest.
What happens if you drop it?

pretty much nearly user, new cars in the first world anyway.

Completely irreverent to every day use of a car. If your driving that hard, your passengers are gonna have a bad time.

>Use controller to drive car
>Alternator or battery shit the bed
>Die a horrible death, probably get shot to stop the car if living in burgerland

If you didn't immediately think of racing when making a controller-controlled car, why would you even bother?

The joystick is too easy to move still. It'd be a death trap.

>controller dies
>you also die

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire

link?

you lose out on tactile feedback that is kind of important for precision. it'd be fine if you're a shit driver (you probably are)

Sure, why not, you've clearly already replaced your brain with a pile of dog shit.

>what is a stick

do they even sell those anymore?
i checked and only the lowest trim of shit-tier cars have manual transmissions.

Jeep still sells them, they're pretty much your best bet

Just learn to drive, retard. It's not hard. Also you need to be 18+ to post here.

easily.
just take the wheel axel and screw the 360 controller into it
so when you rotate the controller like you would the wheel you just replaced, it turns your tires
idk how you'd manage to fit an airbag in such a small steering wheel though

manual is better than automatic in all situations

maybe 20 years ago
like compilers, you can't shift faster than an automatic, not anymore.
they even make paddle shifters that let you pretend to be that boy racer you always wanted to be

Try the rest of the civilized world. In some European countries, you actually get a gimped license if you take the driving test in an automatic.

get a formula 1 steering wheel, it will look video gamey

>.05 second increased shift time
>in exchange for not having a shit transmission
ill stick with manual thanks

The clutch in a manual can save your ass when you're driving on ice. I speak from personal experience

But what do you do when another driver pisses you off and you throw the controller at them?

Saab Prometheus.

So many of you tried so hard to get me to reply

It's ok my american friend, if that's how you cope with the fact you can't actually drive that's fine, probably cause you're brain is too busy preventing you from sharting on your seat.

And they all succeeded

>you can't shift faster than an automatic

>manual niggers in full force itt

shit looks comfy man

How about you take that dick out your ass and appreciate everything we've done for you.

>ATIDF detected

Are you fucking retarded?

Rhetorical question, btw.

>You use more than a single core processor? how dare you use technology that makes things easier!
get with the times gramps. surprised you arent trying to say horses are better

Ones my ex roommate made when he was tweaked out.

This
>Driving down the high 100 km/h
>Accidentally bump joystick to one side

>he didn't save at the last checkpoint

>inb4 a fag with an arduino kills an entire family

Back on topic: A steering wheel gives you some feedback. If you pass a truck on a windy bridge, you feel the gust of wind in your hand. I doubt, the Xbox controller can give you that sensation.

Typical murican choosing lazyness over something practical. Unless you can afford a top tier sports car your automatic gearbox will be utter shit in a lot of cases.

If you took 5 seconds to look at the auto market outside america, you'd realize the vast majority of cars sold are manual.

just add some vibration, problem solved

how is manual practical?

Cheaper to buy than automatic or "automatic" is about it nowadays. That said, until very recently fuel efficiency was much higher in manual cars - and still is in most of them if you can actually drive it properly. Manual gearboxes are typically lighter as well, so there's that. It's also less of a faff to shift down and get past the old lady driving in the middle lane quickly when the outside lane is moving way above speed limit, i find. Generally, i just feel more in control of the drive, even with modern automatic.
The main disadvantage i find in manual is if you ever hit stop start traffic there's a lot of fucking around with the 'stick.
Britbong btw

I'll bite.
The only reason why automatics might be better than manuals is when you are referring to super cars with levers and a decent engine, since it is more efficient.
Any automatic with a small engine just feels weak, even at full gas. That feeling of going 70 miles an hour in 4th, wanting to overtake and getting the responsiveness from the gas pedal inmediately is not achievable by an automatic, and even if you use a sequential change, you don't get the feedback from the clutch and the accelerator, so you can accidentally switch up or down in a bad moment, which your car won't let you do or, if the car thinks you can do it safely, it will do it in a way that probably stutters your speed.

Get behind a 735i with a gear lever and you will know why the rest of the world doesn't make every single car an automatic.

Bulldozers and larger loaders are controlled by 2 joysticks. I've tried a D4 and it was quite comfy. Wouldn't be as comfy with controller but it's already all electronic.

>all cars are completely drive-by-wire now
>turn car off
>turn wheel
>????
you're an idiot

>stick

why do amerisharts give manual cars such a childish name?

>The main disadvantage i find in manual is if you ever hit stop start traffic there's a lot of fucking around with the 'stick.
this is the only thing that sucks, though not so much using the stick, but that you tire your clutch foot, at least i find

literally the first ever episode.

Those are secretly electronic now too

My SUVs ABS and traction control is good enough that it's hard to tell I'm on ice, I could never get such good results myself

Not just cars
>icebox

Did you mean: refrigerator?

It's possible but in a lot of countries illegal because a car has to be steerable even when all electricity fails.

>not manually linking the controller stick to the wheels

Girlie thumbs need not apply.