Amiga Users, explain yourselves... i'm actually very curious

Amiga Users, explain yourselves... i'm actually very curious.

Why do you use Amiga in the year 2017... Now i'm not talking retro enthusiasts with the original computers and maybe a 68k upgrade
but like using those monstrous PPC expansion cards... that are still actively using them today or purchasing the really expensive AmigaOne systems and similar products and using those (do those even run the old 68k amiga software?)

I'm not even trying to knock you guys, i'm just generally curious... what do you do, what software do you run, etc., tell me your stories, i am need to know.

i'd love to hear from someone who owns and uses an AmigaOne. i can't even fathom how that company stays in business, there's gotta be barely a handful of people that run AmigaOS

bumping for interest

Bump

Is there any amigaOS virtual image so I can fuck around with it in virtualbox

Holy shit I keep forgetting Amiga isn't bankrupt yet, how on Earth

What how?

I can't see why anyone would buy a $3000 AmigaOne when you could just install morphos on a powermac g5 for pennies and it does the same thing.

Oh and amigaone is not an "Amiga".

UI looks really dope

even the biggest cock sucking amiga fanboy on this board is probably still not retarded enough to buy one of those pieces of shit retail, those are scams for hipsters and nostalgic 40-somethings with more money than sense and taste combined

PPC != Amiga.

it was bankrupt ages ago, but since that time the brand has swapped hands mostly between various europoor outfits conning people out of thousands slapping the logo on a shitbox case with a garbage embedded PPC system inside

Holy shit........I wonder if i could get a vm going of this.

So AmigaOS only runs on PPC, so you're unlikely to find shit for emulation... iirc the AROS project has an x86 port...

>how that company stays in business
Well they charge $1400 for a board with a 5 year old PowerPC CPU on it. Granted there's a lot of custom engineering going on, but jfc...

And i think the full system like tower + peripherals + board + cpu is nearly $2000 if not more....

if you get like 50 people to buy in at that much then >>>>>>>

Plus they move slow as shit so i'm not surprised that it's not a real company with like daily hours but more like 6 engineers and 4 amiga fans and 2 call center people that pop in every couple years to make a new thing

use AROS on x86 those machines overprices as f.

You can run it in WinUAE which has Powerpc emulation.

This

Amiga is 68k.

This is fake Amiga shit.

i've tried aros
I believe to run amiga you'll need a powerpc mac

AmigaOS doesn't work on Macs, you need a custom AmigaOne board, which cost $2000-3000 new.

You can run MorphOS on a PPC Mac though which runs all of the same things and is actually superior, just doesn't carry the "Amiga" name.

nostalgia, re-enacting the times they used those devices, and bringing the feelings they had at that time (maybe they were happier)

AmigaForever can run on windows/macos, or on its own disk that hosts the OS on knoppix.

there are a lot of amiga emulators, but you need to find kickstart files, which are still under copywrite by either xerox or gateway after the commodore scuttle.

Acube Systems sells 500 $ amiga boards for OS 4.1, and was the original system it was designed for. Its 700 if you want a case and ram and such.

But its a hobby grade computer, unless you are doing film editing or something and you just NEED lightwave and videotoaster.

Neither lightwave or the video toaster work on AmigaOne boards though.

it still works on the OS3/4 riser card equipped older Amiga though.

people claim it works on their sam440-sam460 boards.

>unless you are doing film editing or something and you just NEED lightwave and videotoaster.
Both of those were ported to Windows systems ages ago, though. And nowadays that those prices you can get way better SGIs and even Macs to do those kinds of jobs if you're really interested in making SD films with "authentic" techniques.