Why the fuck is removing a desktop environment from literally any Linux distro so fucking annoying...

Why the fuck is removing a desktop environment from literally any Linux distro so fucking annoying? I should not need to reinstall the entire OS just to clear a desktop environment from the system, no matter what package manager you use, it is never just as simple as "remove gnome" or whatever there is always some lingering mass of related packages that will not be removed without explicitly removing them one-by-one.

I just want to be able to install and uninstall desktop environments as easily as other software packages, why is this so difficult?

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
debian.org/CD/netinst/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because some random application on your system that didn't come with the DE itself requires some library that needs a different library to work that pulls in half of the desktop as a dependency.

I use macOS and this is literally not a problem in my life

I tested this in a VM, I installed minimal Ubuntu with no desktop environment or anything, then I installed MATE, then I uninstalled MATE and autoremoved deps and MATE still somehow remained totally functional and nearly totally intact. It doesn't make sense that even on a fucking blank slate you can't just install and uninstall a desktop environment like any other package "apt-get install x" and "apt-get remove --purge x" and "apt-get autoremove", there is ALWAYS something left over no matter the dependencies.

>I am having trouble fixing this thing in my car
>"Well I ride a bicycle and this is literally not a problem in my life"

>linux not making sense
big fucking news

*a motorcycle
A cool-ass motorcycle.

I mean I guess it isn't a problem if you stick with one DE but I like to try out new ones every now and then when they get new features. It really sucks to have to reinstall the entire OS/fiddle around for hours to fully remove a DE.

More like a tricycle with a built in dildo seat

>linux
That was your first mistake

package managers fucking suck
yes, all of them
GTK sucks worse
SystemD sucks worse than GTK
x.org sucks worse than SystemD (Thankfully that's going away now though)
Basically, you're a clown for thinking you'd be able to find freedom easily

Just install the synaptic package manager faggot.

le mac is gay XDDDDD

unfortunately that's not a good default, you've probably seen posts on this board about people accidentally autoremoving their entire DE because of how that can work

you need to explicitly dpkg --get-selections before and dpkg --set-selections to go back

If you really want to purge something go to some site with dependencies for your DE, track them all and list them, remove it from top to bottom.

But it is not good idea if you use for example GTK program and remove gtklibraries, so don't bother if you don't know what are you doing. Changing .xinitrc should be enough, it's not windows so having more packages on system doesn't make it work slower.

.t Slackware user

Use a distribution with better package managing, or more likely learn how to use the one in yours.

>can't properly use a package manager
what fucking distro are you on mate lel

install the preferred DE and purge the old one after you log into the new one.

on something like Ubuntu you'd actually have to put effort INTO making yourself unable to remove something as basic as a few DE packages

>it is never just as simple as "remove gnome"
that's not true

notice the checksum of my package list is identical before and after installing/uninstalling the gnome package group

tfw Arch Linux master race

Are you fucking retarded? Why would you do this when there is minimal ISOs?

Distros like ubuntu and debian have their own Minimal ISO for autistic retards like you, you can choose whatever package you want to install so you can install whatever DE or WM or don't install at all during installation process.

Ubuntu
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD (55MB) - downloads almost all packages during install

Debian
debian.org/CD/netinst/
(300mb) - has some main packages in the iso

I've found that it's much more annoying to swap DE on distros that use Meta packages like Ubuntu, Mint and Debian to "bind" all of the core packages to a big meta one. On Arch it's usually less of a pain for me at least.

systemd

Took gnome for a spin on my Ubuntu laptop the other. Single apt command to install, two apt commands to completely remove. Is this not normal for linux distros?

tfw Void masterer racest

>why would you reinstall your os to change DE when you can just choose your DE during installation?
user, i...

The real answer is because the DE in effect IS the operating system. Linux is a kernel, the DE should provide everything else from graphics libraries to utility programs. You're basically asking your package manager to knock down the exterior walls of your house so your roof can float above the foundations.

You have to install and uninstall the meta package for the de. Such as ubuntu-desktop-gnome.
Might also be useful to check if apt is removing suggested packages.
Of course you can always copy the installed packages list from the logs and roll back the operation.

>why is this so difficult?
It isn't, you're probably just retarded. I went from (standard) Unity to Gnome to LXDE to just Openbox to Cinnamon to Xfce to just openbox again. No problemo here lad.

apt-clone clone traps-are-not-gay.gz

hmm... I guess this software is really bad

apt-clone restore traps-are-not-gay.gz

yes i tested a few DEs and now i have to reinstall the os