Howcome 32MB RAM is no longer enough for an OS?

Considering all that you could do with Windows98 SE, why can't they make operating systems light anymore?

Because as technology progresses we should also progress in terms of OS development, add more features regardless of RAM usage because the majority of computer users have enough anyway.

I honestly can't answer this question. What, in a nutshell, does Windows 10 do that it requires half a gig of RAM just to sit idle?

What features are we talking about? The RAM you need for Windows 10 is about 30 times the amount of Windows 98. Am I getting an OS 30 times better? Aside from the stability improvements, and UI being prettier, I see no other improvements.

I can't say that Windows 10 is the pinnacle of OS development, though it does add a lot of neat features. RAM-intensive, yes, but that shouldn't matter with most modern computers.

>Aside from the stability improvements
I can count the number of times Win 98 crashed on 1 hand

I can't count how many times subsequent iterations of Windows have pissed me off with bloated junkware

2 gig botnet running in the bg

>stability improvements
questionable

>UI being prettier
questionable

This is why God told Terry to build temple OS to save us all

botnet

T E L E M E T R Y

NT kernel vs DOS kernel
64 bit vs 32 / 16 hybrid architecture
Built in antivirus and firewall
HTML engine that supports modern standards
ASLR stack protection
Desktop rendering and composition
Wide ranging network policy managment
Userland display drivers
Need i go on

Back buffer all the graphics for one thing. Especially with the resolutions people expect now

It handles a 10x more powerful network stack (win98 doesn't even have native pppoe let alone wifi or ipv6), it has simultaneous multi-user capability, uses a filesystem that doesn't shit itself on power loss, it understands the concept of user permissions, and it can use your videocard for more complex tasks than just a 2d framebuffer to draw rectangular bitmaps into.

Just from the top of my head.

who gives a fuck, a dimm is like $20 just buy another one

RAM is actually expensive as shit these days, at least compared to a couple of years ago.

DDR2 is literally $100 for 2 gigs

its so fucking expensive just to buy new dims like 3-4 yrs ago when my prebuilt was dying the cost to upgrade a 775 build was insane, I built an entire 1150 PC for less it would be to piece-mail parts for a 775 mobo

you can build a PC powerfull enough to stream 1440k on youtube and heavily multitaks and shitpost everything short of gaymin for just $250 now

you couldnt do that back then, and theres no GPU needed

so glad i stocked up just before prices went up

>DDR2

hello grandpa

Windows 98 is only considered "light" by today's standards. On contemporary systems of the day, it was much slower.

Also, pretty much every version of Windows before NT was an unstable piece of garbage that bluescreened every 30 minutes because the OS had a very strange definition of "protected memory" that didn't actually protect anything.

You only have nostalgia for 98 because you used it. Try installing Windows NT 3.51, 4.0 or 2000 in a virtual machine. THOSE were good, light operating systems.

Try sucking my cock.

>Windows 98 was coded in C
>Windows 10 was coded in C#
+muh memory is cheap lmao XD meme

>Howcome 32MB RAM is no longer enough for an OS?
But it is enough, see pic related. It's using the 4.4.7 Linux kernel. Note that I'm just using an SSH session from my desktop because I don't have anything set up for screen shots on my Zipit Z2. It does have graphics capabilities.

Pic related is what that's running on.

>JS used for desktop and phone applications
>ram is so cheap dev's say fuck it and go with it
>now every application uses a minimum of 200mb
>demand goes sky high and they can charge whatever they want for it.

I wonder who could be behind this?

Sorry about your bad taste in bad operating systems. Don't take it out on your intellectual superiors.

Modern versions of Windows are DEFINITELY more stable than the old versions. Windows 9x didn't even have proper memory protection. But I don't 2GiB RAM is needed for that.

NetBSD requires only 4MB RAM minimum.

Maybe you should use a better OS.

I remember running Windows 95 on 16MB, it would be like running 7 with 256MB or less, fucking hell.

But with 64MB Win9x was pretty fast

is right though, great for compatibility but very unstable, NT was godly.

Windows 2000 with a couple of tweaks is still usable today actually.

This, imagine a 1min YouTube 480p file is around 12mb and 1080p file is over 10x the size, now imagine that video is its raw uncompressed state so multiply that by 10x again. Windows has to deal with that video stream every second

didnt XP do all that with only 90mb ram

>Windows 98 SE
>a light operating system

Why does Android use more ram the more you have? My $40 phone uses less than my 600...

unused ram is wasted ram
if it doesn't cause major performance issues to have less it's not a problem

You should try to name F: U: C: K: your drives

It's simple, you access more storage than that at a time.

pretty sure it keeps a shitload of information cached in RAM so you don't have to wait for it to load

Pajeets and genderqueer faggots can't code properly

A lot of the shit windows does in the background is actually for the user.

baka when Linux cucks install a "lightweight" OS thinking less system resources means faster. Windows is doing shit like background loading, defragging etc.

See

No thanks

I'll do those things when I consider them necessary manually, brainlet nu-male homo

You probably use Chrome and have it loading pages before you even finish typing their address.

They can.

Gentoo
No really

You do realize that Windows only needs to defrag because of it's dogshit filesystem, right?

You forgot installing updates and restarting your computer while you're trying to work.

Try loading up your wordpress site with 32mb of js, so you can download the latest os update?

A Debian base install with no GUI requires but mere 64MB.

>128MB RAM
Not even close son

Don't know anything about this os but at that size I wouldn't be surprised if the operating system rebuilds everything every time it wants to do it. But I guess you like having it done at the time for no fucking reason rather than being efficient and making use of available resources. :^)

Let me guess. You're running this on a 8gb ram pc with multiple cores? I imagine your brain is as idle as your ram and cpu.

That's kinda shit compared to Windows NT 4.

See

To be fair, you actually get modern software.

Higher resolution means higher video stream and heavier load on your computer, and programming languages take now more resources as well.

C was made to be light on resources, not to be easy or secure.

MinGW (not MinGW-w64) can compile to NT 4.

Can you read?

Okay.

>save us all
HAH you think this gay earth can be saved.
not a fucking chance.

>The subjective percieved quality of 'features' in an OS should scale linearly with the amount of RAM used

Holy fucking wew lad.

He isn't wrong. How much of Windows 10 is productivity/usability gains over 98 and how much is pointless bloat?

Not very well.

On release it did. After service packs you needed 512 to not run like shit.

Security is the first point. So many security policies to protect the system are in place. Network policies. Task caching.

I'd never freely admit that Win10 isn't bloated. It sure as fuck is. But the base amount of RAM for windows 10 is fine. Where on earth are you going to find a system worth working on today with less than half a gigabyte of RAM?Or even less than 3?

Memory companies pushed technologies and sizes. And the windows developers stretched their legs. And that was fine, apart from Vista. Its not like a majority of users are having RAM issues.

Why the fuck does firefox need 2 gb of ram just to open

sp3 idles at 100mb

>Where on earth are you going to find a system worth working on today with less than half a gigabyte of RAM?Or even less than 3?

pick a *nix

I doubt that but maybe. I remember having a core2 something and with 256MB it was nearly unusable with how long it took to do anything.

It's the mentality nowadays. When compute resource was more expensive, developers put time and effort into making their code tight and their resource usage efficient.

Nowadays, there are a small, but dedicated and growing group of homosexuals who are completely okay with consuming 300+MB for a goddamn text editor.

I'd be fine if all that RAM usage was going to useful shit. Instead, it appears to be primarily bloat.

not OP, but this is a good answer - and I do actually want you to continue.

even if any of that shit you just posted was of any consequence it still doesnt excuse the fact that W10 is a major resource hog

>doesn't know what a cuck is.
Not saying you're one, but...
I got a lightweight linux. Sure my processor isn't running faster, nor my ram etc.etc. but when I start an application it opens quickly, acts quickly (read not laggy) and closes quickly. It's snappy and literally ads hours to my free time. I use windows in a vm when I need an app that runs in windows. I keep windows off the fucking web.

There you go. No baiting. Just tech stuff user.

Less processes running in the background means faster productivity for the user if it is done well. It doesn't mean your machine is running faster. Kind of semantic argument but interesting.

One final note. If you pay for something your likelyhood of being the cuck increases exponentially with an increase in the amount paid.

lost

Complexity
More abstraction layers
More complex APIs, etc
What a stupid fucking question

>windows 10
>understands the concept of user permissions

No shill shekels for you today, pajeet

Because manufacturers stopped making it en masse you dumb fuck. Holy fuck, learn 2 economics you fucling scrub. Either that or ebay some used DDR2

wot is this

>Considering all that you could do with Windows98 SE
Crash?

I bought it at 220$, not a horrendous price to pay

>win9x
>stability
pick 1

Everything you just described can be squeezed into an XP install that idles at 64MB of RAM

well lets see here.

1) I could browse images, and use acdsee 3.X something for looking at manga/comics
2) I could use vlc to watch most non demanding video, lets be honest here, codecs and more powerful hardware then a pentium II 333 would have made this last a fuck load longer then it did
3) most of what I do now could be done on 98se if the programs were compatible, as what I want to do is not tied to os functionality.

>3) most of what I do now could be done on 98se if the programs were compatible, as what I want to do is not tied to os functionality.
People have made kernel mods for Windows 98 SE to run modern programs but I'm not sure how it affects RAM usage.

Id like it if you did.