Hello I am a Debian Jessie user and avid web/game developer. I made my goal today to learn how to stream to twitch...

Hello I am a Debian Jessie user and avid web/game developer. I made my goal today to learn how to stream to twitch.tv and was wondering if anyone here has had any success. I see that OBS is on Debian sid but when i try upgrading to it my system brakes and I have to reformat my root and go back to Jessie. I don't see any way to get OBS on Jessie and am starting to lose hope. Do you Sup Forumsents have any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/DTb3VpcU
wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
pastebin.com/A8Ush0S1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just use raw ffmpeg (compiled from git because somehow the shit in the repos has issues) on my second screen. Invocation: pastebin.com/DTb3VpcU (Thanks Sup Forums for considering it spam when I try to post it here)

It's still broken on Firefox, but viewable on Chrome for some reason. God only knows why.

Is this a good guide to build ffmpg from the github?

"This"? You haven't linked anything.

wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
If OBS isn't already in the jessie backports repo you could try making your own, following the guide in that link.

If that doesn't work, then compiling and installing the program from scratch, thus bypassing the package manager, would also be an alternative.

Also, Stretch is gearing up for release. Most things that are in sid also exist in Stretch, and Stretch as a starting point is pretty stable now.

my bad it wasn't good anyway I found the install instructions in the git.

I don't know why but my gpu drivers just crash when I install anything higher than what I have now. even if I install backports it brakes my system. maybe its something that im doing wrong but I haven't found a way around it.

man compiling stuff takes forever. I have never built anything that required so much build time. How do people on gentoo do it?

It could be a bug specific to the upgrade process, where some bad old config sticks around and screws things up. Mind sharing some details?
Like the output of glxinfo|grep 'OpenGL renderer'

One thing you could do if you have a spare partition you can test on, is using the Stretch RC installer (located here debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ) and seeing if you still have the crashing issues. I'm sure the debian maintainers would be very interested in knowing about the issues you're having as well.

A build slave in their mother's basement

not at all I'd love to do my part and help make Debian the best it can be
eddy@Rei:~$ glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer'
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series

I'm getting
Unrecognized option 'tune'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

when doing your method.

Cool, same graphics card I'm using.

I'm guessing the reason it fails is because it's trying to update you to a more recent version of amdgpu+mesa driver stack, and something fails along the way, perhaps because you already have a different driver installed, or the older radeon driver is conflicting somehow. Only way to know for sure is to place oneself in that position and then diagnosing the problem from there.

so you mean to do a Dist-upgrade with the stretch repo and see how its broken?

If you want to test the upgrade process and figure out why it breaks. The other alternative, would be using the Stretch Installer to install the system directly, or dist-upgrading straight from a "clean" jessie install and diagnosing the problem from there. You probably don't want to do this on your main system, so doing it on a throw-away would lessen the risk.

ok I might make a new install on a small partition and see what happens.

Also my system does some pretty wierd shit when i reboot it. Its not system braking but it looks pretty cool so i thought id share it.

And the latest one.

My 390 does some strange shit as well after system has booted up unless I do
sudo -s
echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

note that this is most likely an amdgpu specific thing; If you're on the older radeon driver stack, the command doesn't apply or is probably wrong (not that you'd trust system-level commands from an anonymous source anyway, right?)

In the same shoes, I went the VM way but somehow it is fucked, I will just buy a burner pc and install wincuck and be done with it.

So sad that this is where we are at. I wish companies would open there eyes and see that windows is just as bad for them as it is for us. If they developed for Linux and made solid investment in our open ecosystem computing as a whole would be in a much better place.

Almost done with the new system this spinning rust is older then my others and is humming away. Might have to take it out back and shoot it soon :(

I want to try heartstone, I need to quack myself anyway, thanks Blizzard. I tried only VirtualBox with modern.ie images, maybe vmware is the answer

>annime
wtf I love debian now!?!?

:^)

ok so its all installed and i have my /etc/apt/sources.list set to pic related if i do a dist-upgrade will that get me in the testing branch. just want to be sure that this is the way. I didn't go with the installer because I already had a debian boot usb in plunged in and was lazy I hope this goes well.

christ.. just install windows already

but I want to look cool when I stream not like all the other windows plebs. I want people to see my window manager and just know that i am a leet haxzor

Im not a big hearthstone fan but i love me some world of Warcraft and starcraft 2. I could never get them to work on wine :( maybe this upgrade will help but i doubt it. Good thing my main game is counter strike GO and they have a linux port

Testing Stretch is fairly stable (using it for 2 years without problems), and OBS is in the repos, so you may want to try that instead of Unstable.

ATM I did everything in the guide and im crashing when i try to boot back into the system. I chroot back into the system form my old system but don't really know what im looking for.

I don't know how far you've gotten user, but I decided to trace the steps you were going through since you had a similar HW setup to me. After the dist-upgrade, the X server failed to start, and had text window informing me that AMD cards newer than r600 needs a firmware package to enable modesetting.

So just incase you're reading, the next step in the process (if you haven't figured this out already), is installing the firmware package.
sudo apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics

After that, my system boots into X fine, with working graphics drivers. It's not using the AMDGPU kernel driver though.

Yah i got to that error and fixed it by chroot back into the system and installing the drivers but now when i boot in my system halts and then my monitors go into idel. Pic is last bit i see befor it goes dark.

everything it you pic related screams pms

>debian is so shit you can't even use ffmpeg

Then the only thing I can think of that might be tripping it up for you is other hardware differences, because my 390 does let me start the X server by that point, even if it's using the much older radeon kernel driver.

The next thing to try if you really want to do this, would be compiling your own kernel and booting off of that for proper amdgpu support, but then you might as well just figure out how to backport obs to jessie, same level of complexity.

Maybe your internalizeing a bit user
We do have ffmpeg in our repo but it's not compatible with obs version of ffmpeg

You mean what was suggested in post

Yeah. The main reason why you really can't (and shouldn't) install packages from sid onto a jessie or stretch install is because they're compiled against different versions of the packages; The sid repo package of obs is linked against the sid version of ffmpeg, and unless you basically install everything from sid, you can't use it. But what you can do is grab the sid source package of obs, and build it against the version of ffmpeg installed on your system, thus hopefully resolving the compatibility issues you're seeing. The link in that post explains the entire procedure.

>web/game developer
>brakes
>using twitch
Fuck right off.

When I get to the part where I test for dependency issues I get that I'm missing openGL does that mean that i have to do this process for openGL and get the stretch version of openGL?

eddy@Rei:~/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
dh binary --parallel
dh_testdir -O--parallel
debian/rules override_dh_auto_configure
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1'
dh_auto_configure -- \
-DOBS_MULTIARCH_SUFFIX=/x86_64-linux-gnu \
-DUNIX_STRUCTURE=1
-- OBS_VERSION: 0.0.1
-- Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Jansson >=2.5 not found, building bundled version
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:343 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindOpenGL.cmake:175 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
libobs-opengl/CMakeLists.txt:4 (find_package)

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
/home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/deps/glad/OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR
used as include directory in directory /home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/deps/glad
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
linked by target "glad" in directory /home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/deps/glad

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
dh_auto_configure: cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None -DOBS_MULTIARCH_SUFFIX=/x86_64-linux-gnu -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=1 returned exit code 1
debian/rules:13: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_configure' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_configure] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/eddy/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1'
debian/rules:10: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2

Not telling you to change your shit, but why are you so set on using Debian? Why not just use Ubuntu or fedora, which are just as stable in everyday use as Debian is and have all the most recent software if needed?

Most of my servers run Debian and I like to dev on so I don't build something for a server and then it doesn't work when I push it.

I would start by installing the OpenGL development libraries if you don't have those already. libgl1-mesa-dev is one example.

Though if you haven't discarded your throwaway stretch install already, there's one thing more you could try before giving up on it: Create a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf and put this in it:
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMDgpu"
Driver "amdgpu"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Replace the BusID by whatever 'lspci' reports for your graphics card, or omit the line from the file completely.
What this file will do, is force your system to try and use the amdgpu kernel driver for the X server. If it fails, you won't get the software fallback though.

That's a good enough reason, i get that.
Still would probably rather use Ubuntu on servers instead of Debian, but that's your choice to make.

adding that libgl worked now i get
CMake Error at obs/CMakeLists.txt:32 (find_package):
By not providing "FindQt5Widgets.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"Qt5Widgets", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Widgets" with
any of the following names:

Qt5WidgetsConfig.cmake
qt5widgets-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Widgets" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"Qt5Widgets_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"Qt5Widgets" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed.

I added the libqt5widgets5 package but it still throws that error.

Ill try to add the xorg.conf file if this fails.

So you need the qt5 development packages as well. Try this:

sudo apt-get install libavdevice-dev libavfilter-dev libavresample-dev libjansson-dev libpostproc-dev libqt5concurrent5 libqt5x11extras5-dev libspeexdsp-dev libvlc-dev libxcb-xinerama0-dev qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools qtchooser

Those are the build-deps for the obs-studio package. Though I don't know if all those packages exist in the jessie repos.

added some that you missed and it was working until around 40% then i got this error.
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
libobs/CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/build.make:1849: recipe for target 'libobs/libobs.so.0' failed
make[4]: *** [libobs/libobs.so.0] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/eddy/obs/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:336: recipe for target 'libobs/CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/all' failed
make[3]: *** [libobs/CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/eddy/obs/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu'
Makefile:140: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eddy/obs/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
debian/rules:18: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/eddy/obs/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1'
debian/rules:10: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2

You forgot the include the part of the log output that contains the error.

Linking C shared library libobs.so
cd /home/eddy/obs/obs-studio-0.15.4+dfsg1/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/libobs && /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc -fPIC -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-function -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-missing-braces -Wno-missing-field-initializers -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DFFMPEG_MUX_FIXED=\"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/obs-plugins/obs-ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mux\" -std=gnu99 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed -shared -Wl,-soname,libobs.so.0 -o libobs.so.0 CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/callback/calldata.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/callback/decl.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/callback/signal.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/callback/proc.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/graphics-ffmpeg.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/quat.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/effect-parser.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/axisang.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/vec4.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/vec2.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/libnsgif/libnsgif.c.o CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/graphics/texture-render.c.o

this might be a bit more helpfull.
pastebin.com/A8Ush0S1

and this is the first error I see
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/../lib/libavcodec.a(avpacket.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/../lib/libavcodec.a(avpacket.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/../lib/libavcodec.a: error adding symbols: Bad value
That appears to be the error. I suggest applying your google-fu, because this error is not one I'm familiar with.

yah I thought that might be the case it looks like it something in the build instructions and not with our workaround. im going to look into it using bing and see if i can get some proggres if not im going to go back to trying to get that stretch partition to work.

>blogpost baiting this hard

ok I'll bite

>Debian Jessie user
install gentoo
>avid web/game developer.
kys
>learn how to stream to twitch.tv
literal instructions on their fucking website you moron
>sid
oh god don't-
>my system brakes
>brakes
>my system brakes and I have to reformat my root and go back to Jessie
yes that's what happens when you use sid you dipshit
>am starting to lose hope
good
>any suggestions?
kys

whoever drew that girl needs to learn how to draw

Why not just doubleclick on the installer and choose custom install?