Bought this Thinkpad T500 for $120 because a lot of people here were recommending it. But this thing is awful...

Bought this Thinkpad T500 for $120 because a lot of people here were recommending it. But this thing is awful, it's so old and can barely handle watching videos in 720p.

Last time I take advice from Sup Forums ...

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t500/specs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sup Forums wants you to get memed. It's funny.

By the way, have you checked out the new Xiaomi Redmi?

>Xiaomi Redmi
No, Is it any good?

Yes, it's very good. Taking price and quality ratio into accout, it's probably the best phone money can buy you right now.

As good as this thinkpad.

why would you watch videos above 480p anyway
you deserve all the shit that you got
which distro did you put on it

Interesting, my T60 can play 1080p and stream 720p videos fine. To be fair, it's been upgraded with the best processor the motherboard supports, but a T500 should still beat it.

You sure you know how to use that thing? $120 is also a pretty decent deal if it's in nice shape

>distro
It came with win7, but I'd like to put Ubuntu or any other Linux based OS that is beginner friendly.

Lags like crazy. Screen bugs out if i'm streaming a movie or show online. Going to try and run a game on it once it's done installing and see how it holds up. So far i'm not impressed.

>bought a Core 2 Duo laptop
>surprised it lags like shit

works on my machine

Upgrade it with an SSD
Open it up and reapply thermal paste/clean out dust with compressed air.
Max out the ram
Dual boot a lightweight Linux distro
When you want to be productive hook it up to a cheap 1080p monitor.

There's plenty of ways to revive old laptops like that. I used a maxed out X200 + SSD for years with no problems.

Thanks for the advice. Just for clarity, you mean to dual boot a linux os with an os of my choosing?

Yes, I'd recommend something light like Lubuntu, Linux Lite or LXLE. Fill up a USB stick with a few distros and hop around until you find one you enjoy. Distrowatch.com tells you the ones which are currently most popular.

I have a Redmi 4 Pro and I am very happy with it. Only downside is the camera is not that great but for $150 I can't complain.

What did you expect with a garbage HDD?

>can barely handle watching videos in 720p.
I call that bullshit.
I can play 1080p flawlessly on my x200s
I can play 1080p 10bit on my x200s with some framedrops on really heavy scenes.
You are either lying or you don't know how to use a computer

>not buying X1 Carbon

X220 masterrace
T500 fags on suicide watch

It's so shitty it unusable. The fucking software kills it

this

X240 masterrace
£220 fags on suicide watch

Seriously tho, why on earth would you buy x220 currently, when x240 costs the same for a model with an SSD already included?
Also, it has better GPU, dual batteries and, most importantly, Fhd IPS screen. Also lighter and thinner.
>in 4 trackpad
Just upgrade it with a x250 one

Who even recommends a T500? It's always T420 and the X220

Don't worry user, it will run great after you install gentoo!

I use a Redmi 3 and I'm totally happy besides the fucked up camera

considering OP didn't know what dual boot means I imagine he just doesn't know how to use a computer.

almost sold, minus the keyboard/ULV processor

nice try though, you son of a bitch

What's the resolution on this faggot? So glad I bought a macbook. I was thinking what laptop I should buy and Sup Forums was talking about thinkpads, but after I saw one in the wild and it looked meh and my sister got a macbook and it looked cool I just thought I'd try the Apple meme. I am the same guy in the other thread who posted with the Macbook image.

Srsly, you got memed op. What is even the resolution on that shit? Lmao, gonna watch some anime on the retina display tonight. Will pray for you.

> forgetting that you're on Sup Forums

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Nice keyboard faggot.
X220 masterrace

don't user bloated and shit streaming sites
torrent what you wanna watch and watch it using a good player

Even my T61 is running 720p. come on.

I've had old and new thinkpads, and honestly I'll take the new keyboard over the old every time. To be honest, never had any issues with ULVs, but they are a tad slower. Longer battery life tho.

Look above

It's almost same cpu... What are they, one generation apart?

T500 released 2 years after T61 released. T61 has Nvidia Quadro / X3100, but I don't think T500 R3650 or X4500 sucks more than Quadro or X3100.

Use mint or fedora, they're both learner friendly and easy to install
Don't fall for the Ubuntu meme like I did

That's because you're using Windows. Install Debian.

1280 x 800 is the most i can get

>no tablet version
X220t faggot

The T500 can run Libreboot and certainly can handle watching videos at 720p
Mine does perfectly fine with 1080p at 60fps even
Hell, even my old T60 (RIP) could do 720p at 60fps
But you did fuck up, there's absolutely no benefit to a T500 over a T400, and it's less portable
I only have one because I got it for free, I would never have spent $120 on it

Yeah my t480 running mint can handle multiple 1080s along with whatever other shit I have open. Only gets really slow when I have multiple users logged in.

Spent like $300 on it but it came with a case and shit so it only cost me like $250. Had it for 2 years and it still runs great. Would recommend 8/10

T430*

My R61 with a T8300 and Nvidia 180m can run 1080p (30fps) no problem.

Shit, I meant 140m

> Buy trash
> Spend money on it

This is how retarded neo-Sup Forums actually is.

>touch middle click scroll

>LXLE
huh, I forgot that existed

This. I'm using a T400 that can do 1080p60 unless I'm using firefox (or more specifically, pale meme) to decode the video, in which case, 720p30 nearly maxes out the CPU (p8800).

OP must be doing something wrong, or have a particularly shitty CPU.

I can't do the X240. Either X230, X250, X260 or X270, but the X240? No physical clicky buttons for my touchpad mouse makes me reeeeee

Strange, my T60p has no such problems

>cucklet keyboard

Here's your (you).

>not having a W520

I need help. I cannot find an answer anywhere

I bought a Lenovo Yoga S1 for $50 and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the video cable

got it replaced and I put in the battery and HDD and I plug in the AC and light blinks 3 times

I unplugged the CMOS battery and plugged in power (without the laptop battery
it blinked 3 times, then the keyboard illuminated, and there is an orange light on one key red light on thinkpad logo and green light on another key.

I plugged in HDD when this occured and HDD spins on, I tried to turn on the laptop and it simply wont turn on, CPU fan wont spin etc.

Im at a fucking loss

who the fuck would buy a core duo in the current year if not for nostalgia purposes? wat a dumb feggit

Is it even possible to upgrade this things CPU?

I have been testing out T7300 in my T61. I have yet to find a way to smoothly play my animus in 1080p.
It tends to stutter, hell even that weird "Welcome to NHK" video files did not play smoothly (even tho they were on 800x480 or similar to this resolution)

nah a boi. I bought my T61 for 24/7 actual service. Planning to "upgrade" to T30 with Pentium 4 or z60m with a pentium M CPU.
I ain't buying these for nostalgia but instead real wörk

VLC, and stream through whatever site you use with adblock on, My first thinkpad was an R51 about 4 years ago and it streamed everything

>You can never get that watch via mvp add-on to work

I feel sad man.

How heavy are thinkpads? I always see them memed here as portable text machines, but they look pretty heavy.

well thats you. i could find i use for a pentium or core duo, but the simple fact is that OP is a figget.

>Thinkpad T500 for $120 because a lot of people here were recommending it
nobody recommended a T500 for $120

>T430

What media player are you using and have you installed any codec packs?

My X60 with a 1.8 GHz Core Duo (basically 2 overpowered Pentium 3's) can do 720p hi10p without framedrops, and it can decode 1080p hi10p at 80+ FPS (can't display 1080p thanks to the iGP though)
Of course, I'm not illiterate and using shit badly configured software, I'm using mpv on GNU/Linux

It was 120$ what are you whining about
Plus install GNU/Linux that shit will fly

If you want mobility you should look for X series plus more battery time
I fucked my lower back thanks to carrying a T410 in my backpack

>I fucked my lower back thanks to carrying a T410 in my backpack
>t.manlet

>Spending $120 on a Core 2 Duo era Thinkpad, when you can have a 3rd generation Core i era Thinkpad for $250

Why?

Absolutely awful bang for your buck.

What processor? Passmark says a T9600 is faster than my old desktop X2 5200+, and that could do 720p60 without a problem with Spline36 upscaling.

Both prices are horrible, get a Chromebook new/second hand. My used 2011 T410 is constantly at least over 50 Celsius, and the battery lasts 1 hour.

Im 5 foot 9

If you just need a web browser, sure, get a chromebook I guess.

50 is fine, and a A new battery is like $20.

X200 here. Youtube 1080p@24fps = essentially zero dropped frames. The 11 frames dropped occured at startup of the video when resizing it to full screen. Dead steady after that.

Same X200 at 1440p@24fps. 71 dropped frames out of 2746 frames, again almost all of those occuring during the resize. Dropped approximately 20 additional frames during playback. Even at 71 dropped frames that is 97.4% total frame playback at 1440p.

SMPlayer works the best on lower end hardware in my experience. try VLC, mpv, and SMPlayer before pawning it off to some other clueless 14 year old

so, a manlet

So far I have tested
- VLC (0/10)
- mplayer
- smplayer

and about codec packs, I have no idea.

Why not SMPlayer with mpv renderer? It's an option in the settings

fuck off my r50 can stream 720p video easily.

Coreboot x220 with a 'disabled' Intel ME master race
everything else is a [bigger] meme

Whats wrong with the X230? I picked one up for $40 and I'm happy with it.

>t500
wrong choice
it's t520 or newer if you want something usable.

>be at uni (engineering)
>buy t430 (yeah, chinkpad)
>consistently outperforms other classmates laptops (i5 vs i3 and pentiums)
>classmates wonder how is that possible.

You need special tools to flash a modded bios to remove the WLAN whitelist, so you're stuck with lenovo-whitelisted cards and the keyboard is shitlet, but otherwise it's just as good if you don't care about that stuff.

Average height. I'd say it may have been the fault of your backpack or messenger bag. I'm 6'4 and carried a t510 daily for a year without issue.

Nice. I have a libre x200 right now. I will probably upgrade to the x220 or x230 once libreboot support is completed.

I got my T530 for only $112. You fucked up big time, user.

if you got this one cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t500/specs/
doesnt sound too bad. it should totally play videos at 720p tho. vista is shit try win10. how much ram do u have?

OP is whining because he/she/it is probably trying to play 10-bit excessively high bitrate Japanese cartoons and whining about it.

>implying that kind of OCD encoding method actually matters
>it's a god damned cartoon

nothings wrong with it. they trying to justify their meme keyboard

>masterrace
>more like mustard race
x240 is literally an abortion. That trackpad is shit. x230 or x250. Dont ever post here again

Works on my machine!

Pirated CoreAVC worked for me when I was slumming it on Windows with a Pentium 4 years ago

This, Core 2 Duo Thinkpads are obviously a devious meme, just get a MacBook and run max aesthetic Snow Leopard

Sumfn wrong with your install.

Have core2duo ulv 1ghz panasonic and it plays 720p youtube and 1080p in mpc-hc no problem