/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>delidded i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs, you dumbfucks.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8YtyTH
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V6dPHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTzj7h
amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GV-RX570GAMING-4GD-256-Bit-Express-Graphics/dp/B071CQ4MMK/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493310297&sr=1-4&keywords=rx 570
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hrZW8K
pcpartpicker.com/user/Dwadalin/saved/#view=7x83CJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/RLtyTH
amazon.com/XFX-Professional-Workstation-Enthusiast-Graphics/dp/B01EFR43ZG
pcpartpicker.com/list/6LRyTH
geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-9-cm-400w-atx-2-4-bn266-a1407719.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
pcpartpicker.com/list/3qxmHN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Continuing from last thread.
I tried to disconnect the USB 1112 connector and it's still shows the same screen.
Please help I'm fucking exhausted I just want to finish with this and eat.

>heroes of the storm freezes on first combat

A new PC can't come soon enough.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8YtyTH
Please tell me how bad of a starting point this is

Is this good for a productivity machine under £1000?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V6dPHN

yes
what kind of productivity?

What do you guys think of this build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTzj7h

Writing, music-producing, film-editing...basically all sorts of freelance work

then yeah it'll be great, no need for more

this worth the price?
amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GV-RX570GAMING-4GD-256-Bit-Express-Graphics/dp/B071CQ4MMK/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493310297&sr=1-4&keywords=rx 570

Idk senpai. Did you google it?

Seems awful.
You'd be better off with a single 16:10 or a 1440p monitor.
And you're spending a lot on a case when you don't have a good enough CPU or memory for video editing or musing production.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTzj7h
It's okay I guess. You could get a cheaper 1080 and faster memory.

>Gigabyte GPU
ehhhhh

friend wants a general production+vidya machine so I told him to get a 1600. however the store he's going to seems to be all out and he doesn't feel like ordering

what's the next best thing? the 4 core R5's don't seem worth it, the R7s and i7s are overkill+too expensive for him and similarly priced intel chips seem like terrible deals by comparison

his options are looking like
>spend more for a 1600X+cooler
>spend roughly the same on a 1500X+cooler
>downgrade to a 1400
>get a locked i5

Doesn't the ryzen meme only support up to 2400htz

release motherboards had shit firmware that didn't support most kits above that

I had that problem initially but after 2 weeks a BIOS patch came out that fixed the issue and now my 3000MHz kit is running just fine

Huh? How is a i7 overkill yet a 1500X isn't good enough?
The 1500X is +/- 5% of the locked i7-7700.

May as well just get a 1700, though. $300 with cooler included isn't much.

pls don't be dumb

Thanks

overpriced then, if not overkill

this is Canada so, the 1600 is 300 bucks and the i7 is like 440

thanks weedman

Ok, guy with the MSI mortar and new BIOS flashed here.

- No changes about the slow POST. Still takes from 10 to 20 seconds to "power on" the monitor and show the "press Del for BIOS" screen. After that it's business as usual with boot times.
- Gone from impossible to POST on anything higher than 2667 RAM to working at 2933 speed. Sometimes it whines and starts beeping the RAM sequence after power on trying once or twice but eventually POSTs without downclocking RAM to 2133.

Welp, better than nothing I guess.

If I get a 1600x what are my chances of hitting 4ghz or better under 1,4v ?

Well yeah, compared to the 1600 the 1500X seems overpriced...

>If I get a 1600x what are my chances of hitting 4ghz or better under 1,4v
Extremely high.
Taking 1.4v just to hit 4GHz before was largely down to immature BIOS overvolting.

what makes gigabyte gpus ehhhh worthy?
cant afford anything above £170 atm so i'd have to wait for another to lower in price before i can get a different rx570

this is what it'd be going into
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hrZW8K

Disgruntled Phanteks Eclipse P400S owner from previous thread here.

Is there any chance I can make those too small holes up front suck in more air? I'm at 2x140mm at front intake and 1x120mm back exhaust. It's slightly at negative pressure when the chassis fans are at similar RPM, just barely. Moving the 140mm intake fans right next to the little air intake holes near top and bottom didn't seem to help all that much.

Would changing to a weaker, more silent fan at exhaust be enough to fix it, or would it just fuck up the thermal properties of the chassis even more?

The run loud and hot without performance to back it up. Go read reviews?

If there isn't another RX570 within 15 bong of it, then get it I guess.

>Is there any chance I can make those too small holes up front suck in more air
Either you drill holes in the front, or you reverse the fans so you have your rear and top as intakes and front as an outtake.

Convection is meaningless and it's actually better to have fans blowing at your motherboard, and it keeps hot air from coming off your GPU and going over VRMs.

Should I be a faggot and buy a Corsair Crystal case then stuff it with RGB stuff? Or should I buy a solid black case for my next build, no window.

it's okay to be a fag, user.

Neither of those options sound very tempting. The whole idea of the fan composition was to have overpressure through filters so I wouldn't have to deal with dust as much.

pretty good. I would get a tomahawk though, or better prime

buy a new case lmao.
I warned you not to get that one in the previous thread.
Or just remove the exhaust fans entirely.

I'm pretty sure you're not the one warning me. The time I asked about that shit was like 2 months ago.

But yeah, starts to seem like that's the reasonable choice. I'll try a low RPM exhaust fan next and see if it's enough, but if even that fails it's time to get a new chassis.

SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Fully-Modular ($54.90)
or
SeaSonic 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular ($69.90)

Which should I get?

you should GET LOST weeb

I want to keep my linux and windows drives physically separated. I've decided to use a HDD selector to make switching boot drives easier.

For this setup, is there any way I could add a SSD to use as a page file drive that'll work with both linux and windows?

>he says this while on Sup Forums

obviously gold.

make two partitions on ssd and assign them to needed OS?

Always go for a higher efficiency rating.. Semi modualrity is fine

>1070 'not worthwhile'
>amd is all you need user!

cant wait for tuesday

Boy do I know it, I have a cute boyfriend with a nice hairy chest that I like to snuggle endlessly.

But I'm struggling with how gaudy an all glass case full of LEDs would look. I want to make them a comfy orange colour but part of me just wants a simple computer that I can't see inside. It's more effort when you build the thing to have matching parts.

what's on tuesday?

Why not settle for a middle ground with a case that has interchangeable side panels so you can switch between windowed and closed whenever you feel like it?

Oh that wasn't me then. Someone else was asking like a week ago.

The later but both often go on sale for $40-$50 if you want to wait a few days.

Grub can mess up windows partitions and other problems. You want two different drives for installs.
I think a switch is silly, though..

think about it, price difference between 1070 and 1080 is so small now you may as well go 1080

>1070
>200% more money than an RX570
>25-45% more performance
>an extra $50-$400 for Gysnc
>A 1080 is only about 15-25% more money
Yes, it's not worthwhile. Fuck off, dumb shill.
inb4
>muh power consumption!!!! 480watt GTX 480 was okay but 175 watts for RX570 perf is too much!!!!

Will the monitors I picked bottle neck my video card?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Dwadalin/saved/#view=7x83CJ

They are AOC I2269VW 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitors

>Grub can mess up windows partitions and other problems
I meant partitions for page file, can't you assign page file on different partition for OS?

Does such a case exist?

So let me see if I got this right. If my rig has an expected power draw of 350W, I should look for is 500W power supply?

And on a worst-case scenario, what happens if it ends up needing more than what I have?

Whenever you see a case that has both window and no window options, more often than not you can buy the other one's side panel separately.

>I should look for is 500W power supply?
Sounds reasonable, yeah. You generally don't want to run your PSU at its peak, efficiency tends to drop and it may also result in increased wear & tear.
>what happens if it ends up needing more than what I have?
Eh, kind of depends. It could trip some sort of protection on the PSU and make it shut down, or maybe it wouldn't be able to sustain appropriate voltage at its output and cause instability/crash your system or maybe your motherboard will detect that voltage levels are outside its tolerance and shut down/restart the PC.

thats true, but its not the point

>this amd mid tier gpu is better than this nvidia mid tier gpu user!
>what do you need high end gpu for? just buy mid tier and buy amd!
>oh you really want some high end card? dont buy nvidia, just wait for vega!
>no of course I didnt buy amd stocks!

>And on a worst-case scenario, what happens if it ends up needing more than what I have?
Your computer will simply shut down itself during high load scenarios. Any modern PSU won't fry your stuff or itself if it cannot deliver enough juice.

Unless you've picked parts with a huge power draw like a 7700K you expect to delid and clock north of 4.8GHz combined with a GPU with 8+6 or higher power connectors, 500W will be fine unless you go bottom of the barrel cheap.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RLtyTH

build and forget kind of thing for 3-4 years?
1080 placeholder
yes. I need D15.

Tried to Google it,tried to remove everything and run only the Mobo with PSU connected to the inner GPU and it still says the same shit.
I'm completely devistated it's 9 pm I ate nothing all day and my hands are full of cuts.
It was nice trying to do everything myself but I'm taking it to the shop tommorow in hopes they would actually resolve it without dropping it all on me and charging for a new Mobo.
Don't think il ever build a PC myself again.

It's entirely about the heat and not the load.
Heat wears them down.

>thats true, but its not the point
Yes it is, retard. That's exactly the point. It's entirely about price/performance and what's best to fit someone's need.

Looks okay except for the 960 and D15. Oh, and how much that 1080 costs.
You mean you're going to get Vega? That's a Freesync monitor.
Don't put a 1080 in there put "Vega $500" or some shit as a custom part.

Did you plug in your case USB front panel connectors to the board wrong?

>Don't think il ever build a PC myself again.
I find this shit hilarious. I made my first PC when I was 13.
And yeah I had issues. I read my manual that listed the beep codes to point out the issue fine.

What's the cheapest board that has a digital read out for error codes, anyway?

what happened?

>except for the 960
what is wrong with it?

gigabyte, around $180

>It's entirely about the heat and not the load.
>Heat wears them down.
Hurr
PSUs generally aren't at their best efficiency near their max load and the power draw is greater. So it both draws more power AND a greater part of that power is dissipated as heat, you will absolutely get more waste heat. Even if efficiency didn't drop at all, you'd still get more heat simply because of the power draw.

90% efficiency at 100W wall power draw means 10W dissipated as heat in the PSU. If it's 1000W instead you get 100W as heat. If the efficiency goes down too (which happens pretty much universally) the difference would be even larger.

Built new PC to turn it on and be greeted by this.

Read the OP.

No shit.
But if it's 90% efficient at 550 watt that's only 55 watts of heat. That's very little.
Unless your ambient temps are 35C+, its fan will keep it cool fine.

There's a number of people that have been running 420w Seasonic fanless PSUs at 500 or 600+ watt draw for years without them failing.
As long as you just have a decent PSU, you'll be fine running it at or above max load for a long time. 55w of heat is nothing for a decent one that also has a fan.

tried CMOS clear?
another one remove mouse leave kb

Do you think there will be another main series dual-GPU card again?

Like the GTX 690, or HD 7990?

Probably. You'd have to reformat the part you wish to allocate to paging or have wasted space allocated for the other OS's paging... It would also most likely defeat the point of having physically separate drives unless you could make them unwritable before the paging drive was reset to a sterile state

How do I clear cmos?
Tried to Google it but it says to remove shunt from pins 1-2 to pins 3-4 on clrtc jumper.
I found this jumper problem is it has only 2 pins and no shunt.

There was one planned in the R9 Fury line but never materialized. I guess either the power draw or the temperature was over the roof.

Also, it looks like we might be moving away from the dual GPU meme as DX12 needs the game to be especifically programmed for that and cannot be bruteforced by drivers like in DX11 and earlier. Ashes does it but AFAIK no other title tried to do it, so maybe that was part of the reason. You just couldn't sell such a product back in 2015 that only one or two DX12 games would take advantage of when they we full-on the DX12 bandwagon.

consult manual
usually it's unplug PSU, remove battery and short clear cmos terminals

best method if it's not posting. unplug psu, take out the battery, hit the pwr button a few times and wait 5 mins.
If you're overclocking ram etc and need to reset often. pull the case reset button wires and hook them to the clr rtc pins. You can also just use a screwdriver or something across the pins nooblet.

>No shit.
I'm not sure what you're arguing here really. Higher load will lead to more heat, no matter what, which then has to be dealt with and may or may not end up by increasing wear.

I'm pretty sure you only need to do one of the two. Either take out the battery and wait, or use a screwdriver or something to short the pins.

But it did come out
amazon.com/XFX-Professional-Workstation-Enthusiast-Graphics/dp/B01EFR43ZG

Vega x2 has been confirmed already, afaik.
NORMALLY it wouldn't come until next year as they normally come about 8 months later. But with Naples servers that have x32 lanes, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come this year.

Radeon Pro Duo is 2x Fiji. It beats the 1080Ti in DX12 games. Came out early last year or something.

Thanks, I had no idea they just left it on the Pro line. No wonder it hasn't ever appeared in gaming benchmarks, that's why I thought it never happened.

>want to stay below 800 euro
>gaming (non aaa titles)
>browsing
>programming
>dual booting linux & wangblows (for gaems)

pcpartpicker.com/list/6LRyTH

GPU will be the rx 560 because I mostly play those "e sport" games, and the psu will be

geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-9-cm-400w-atx-2-4-bn266-a1407719.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

(pcpartpicker doesn't know that one). Swapped the msi motherboard for the asrock one, is that a better choice?

They didn't send them to reviewers and shit, and reviewers didn't buy their own.
It's mainly a workstation card. The Crossfire didn't work well at first, too.

But once drivers were updated.. it could do 4K 50+ fps compared to the like 35 of a GTX 1080 in games like The Division.
It actually makes me think that maybe I should consider a Vega X2 if it's around $1000.

>What to upgrade from my r9 280x crossfire setup
>Almost all the games don't support crossfire or do it shitty
>Most gtx 1070s are $400, with the lowest lowest being $370
>r9 fury non x no longer at $270 at Amazon
>Still no vega
What should I do, wait? I don't really want to buy the 1070 since it's too expensive, however the gtx 1060 and the rx 580 aren't an good enough upgrade.

I need case suggestions, please. I'm so stuck as to what to get.

An RX570 should be about 65-100% faster.
If you want more than that (I'm in the same boat with a 7970 and want to go up to 4K), then wait for Vega.

Jonsbo VR2 or UMX3.

Took out battery waited 10 min put it back.
Now it turns on but just shows black screen.
I'm completely lost

Try using the iGPU you sperg. Does your motherboard not have any video outputs?

I connected it into the built in card.
It showed input before the reset.

>$150 case
No thanks.

Lian Li PC-Y6

Actually I'm retarded and forgot to connect the 16 pin.
But it still gives me USB over current so the reset didn't helped.

Tell me one (1) reason why I should upgrade from a 2500k.

Because you didn't get the 2600k for future proofing.

Yeah, well it was double in price and almost zero difference in muh gaymes.

>people getting the 7700k
why

It's shit, pham.

>gaymers getting the best gaymer cpu on the market
i wonder

undisputed single thread king

arguably a niche product

what 144hz max 24" freesync monitor do you recommend?

>arguably a niche product
that's exactly what surprises me, it's a niche product for people who need the best of the best singlethreaded performance on 8 threads, yet i keep seeing retards getting it for their gaymurr build
Unless you're among the ones that need the best of the best singlethreaded performance, the r7 1700 just seems like a much better choice to me. I mean, fuck, double the cores, you can have all the programs you want running alongside your gta v or watch dogs 2 or whatever they play and you're not forced to buy a $60 cooler in order to actually profit from these performances as opposed to the highly clocked, highly heating 7700k, but yet everyone jumps on the 7700k as if it was constantly the better choice and as if their shitty rx 480 or gtx 1060 aren't gonna bottleneck them. On top of that, the R7 1700 isn't on a dead platform
it just doesn't make sense to me. But maybe that's just me

>ironically shilling this hard

take your Nvidia sponsored (You)™ my friend, it is all yours!

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V6dPHN
Is this a good machine for maxing games out at 1440p 144hz?

pcpartpicker.com/list/3qxmHN

I'm in the US and don't really have a budget. I also need to find a good monitor.

are powercolor cards worthwhile or no?

URGENT:

Ordering parts in the next hour, I don't want the stock spire cooler for my R5 1600. I can grab Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 for $25, it looks decent, but there are no real reviews on it. Can anyone tell if it's a clip on with the pre-installed Ryzen mobo brackets? I'm using Asrock Pro4 ATX B350