Pi bread

How come my raspberry pi 3 CAN'T play youtube vids efficiently, but my phone CAN?
Why dont they make better small computers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mcixldqDIEQ,
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because your phone costs about 10 times as much.

The cheapest of shit smart phones will play 1080p.
Dont be a tard.

I'm actually not sure what CPU this PI has but I do know that all mobile phone CPUs have hardware video decoding of vp9/h264/h265 built-in.

I'm guessing this Pi 3 either doesn't have that or the software you're (ab)using doesn't use it.

Cheap phones also struggle if you turn hardware video decoding off in mplayer.

I believe you need a license to use. H26x don't you?

Your internet speed is shit, retard.

Sage

Is there anyway to improve the PIs performance?
Im sure youre right because everyone says to install a vid decoding program (which i did) and it still wont play over 360p
No

Name a single phone that costs as much as a Raspberry Pi 3 and can play 1080p videos.

raspberry pi isn't powered by jews.

Had no problems with playing 1080p YouTube videos on gen 1 model B using OpenELEC. Of course the UI was super unresponsive during playback but the video itself was butter smooth. They have a hardware decoder chip after all.

last I checked, pi has hardware decoders for h.264, but YouTube has been pushing to stream videos in vp8 (or is it vp9 now), citing better compression. The primary downside being that there is jack shit in the market for hardware decoding of it (hardware takes a fucking long time to design and get market adoption), so your pi is desperately trying to decode it in software on a *really cheap* processor.

Your phone, aside from having an absurdly better (read: more expensive) processor, is likely requesting the h.264 versions of videos from the YT servers, and not requiring software decoders, thus running plenty fast.

Calling BS

Thank you

The Raspberry Pi has to be one of the most awful lines of single-board computers on the market. Please don't buy them, they do not deserve anywhere near the popularity they get and can't even boot without non-free software. They are bad boards.

Recommend a better one then. One that can play 1080p flawlessly

>cant boot without non free software
Nigga wat?

You call BS if you want. My Pi currently has a minimal Raspbian installation so proving it works is too much of a hassle.

This is one of the videos I tried playing youtube.com/watch?v=mcixldqDIEQ, and like youtube-dl suggests it has a h.264 version available (avc1) along with vp9. 248 webm 1920x1080 1080p 3189k , vp9, 24fps, video only, 62.43MiB
137 mp4 1920x1080 1080p 4338k , avc1.640028, 24fps, video only, 78.17MiB

Why does my Pi3 use 50% memory when i open chromium?

Because modern browsers aren't exactly lightweight.

I have one Beagle board and just werks perfectly for 1080p

It requires proprietary firmware blobs to even boot.

The fuck you on about
>no wifi

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

load the video with MPV and then try again

Rasbian is free

I thought RPi's were good at this stuff? My BBB can't play video for shit, but I heard RPi si great for KODI? Or was I lied to by enthusiastic, consumerist hipsters?

>only lists are serious flaws and fatal flaws
Fucking retarded article

You clearly don't know what free software means.
“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.

Who gives a shit?
I didnt buy it to modify it. I bought it to use as a light computer. Which it does.

FSF cares. Besides, tt's a good thing to keep in mind (along with the implications) even if you're just using said hardware.

OpenELEC worked well enough for streaming from my NAS and watching YouTube videos on a RPi1B overclocked to 1GHz, but as already mentioned the UI wasn't always the most responsive. I'd imagine the newer boards would work pretty much flawlessly though.

They dont work flawlessly
Its a major complaint and is unfixable.

your browser/youtube player must use gstreamer compiled with openmax API specific for raspi and it can only play with hw acceleration in fullscreen

for small smart tv device chink android tv stick/box is way better

Because youtube is browser based and is shit, if you play the videos directly by whatever means (Kodi, youtube-dl, etc) it will play 1080p videos without issues whatsoever

>How come my raspberry pi 3 CAN'T play youtube vids efficiently, but my phone CAN?

I'm using Pi 3 with Chromium and it seems to play YouTube videos just fine.

The browser is not optimised

1) it can but not in browser
2) why do tou need more powerful singleboard computer?

I tried using a Pi 3 for light web browsing for six months as an experiment. I love many aspects of the thing but this just ain't an ARM world.

The Pi3 could as well if it had Android with appropriate drivers. Desktop Linux on the Pi just doesn't have many browsers (maybe one but not sure if it's any good any more) that provide accelerated video.

were you dropped on your head as a child, perhaps several times?

Just ordered two more Orange Pi PCs to add to my cluster and some proper dupont connectors to make proper power connectors.
Gonna get some ultra slim or flat Ethernet cables soon for the first four. They're shit for anything above 100Mbit but these are only 100Mbit and that's completely fine.
got the materials to make a base for these as well.

Odroid C2 or XU4. 4K/60 support and much better hardeware decoding support.

Because you went full retard and bought that piece of shit in the first place. Should have bought an Odroid-C2 instead which can play 4k60 without problems.

The difference is you are trying to play YouTube with a gui while they aren't.

There are some smartphone under $50.

For example Blackview A8 can be had for $40 and can play youtube fine with their Mediatek MT6580

>Pi Cluster
What you want to do with it?

Map asteroids is what I am doing now.

MPC-HC + madvr +NGU 4K work with the this?