/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Shock Bois we out here

Small white guy in a big truck.

R8

Casio has done me well, not too bulky like the the shellshock ones, but still has the the original casio design

It's a ranger
Big white guy in a small truck

I'm thinking about putting it on a NATO

posting sexy watch again

Incredible. Too bad its tegimented

This watch is $1000 too expensive.

But yes, it looks nice.

meh, i love the look of the bracelet. those links...

post best black leather straps

Absolutely not. An Eulit perlon would be fine, but that watch on a NATO would be haram as fuck.

I like these but they're not tuff e nuff

>not too bulky
The thing's massive, user.
It's super functional for a $15 watch, good value if nothing else.

tfw I bought a sarb for 300usd as a gift to myself for graduating and my family laugh at me because I "spent so much on a watch".

your family kind of sounds like jerks

This is the new meme

One of my absolute favorite chronograph designs. Too bad it uses a Valjoux 7750, meaning I would never buy one.

A reminder that NATO straps are obsolete

>giant scratch across face

what's wrong? classic movement, everyone knows it, easy to service.

it's not

I paid $3900 with the Rolex box (no papers) for mine which was a steal considering literally 90% of Exploter IIs for sale are beater pieces of shit with stretched/mismatched bracelets, over-polishing, have been serviced by hacks, etc. Only problem mine had was that, if it even was serviced, it was like a decade before I bought it as it was like 2 minutes slow. I paid $550 for a complete strip down service to bring it up to speed and now it runs great. Apparently it was some dude's safe queen that he barely wore and looking at it's condition (other than some paint on the bezel that has come off over 2 decades) it looks like it's seen relatively little use.

My biggest advice for getting one is only buy from people with
>shitloads of HD pictures of this particular watch
>Stellar return policies with no bullshit about restocking fees, short return periods, etc.
>Top notch reputation

This one is my third. First was from Beckertime and it was real and very, very nice (and cheap) but it was the wrong dial as they gave me a Luminova version and I hate the constant green glow. Second was from a local jewelry store and that thing kept erratic time, had oil-stained hands, and I learned it had an aftermarket crystal from the Rolex forums because the magnification wasn't quite right. Third one I got from Collector's Coin and Jewelry and although I'm satisfied with the purchase for it's price plus quality of the watch, I am annoyed that the "running within COSC spec thing" was bullshit and that if it was serviced, it was when he bought it probably many years beforehand.

Pretty functional, yes.

This is about as big as it gets for me, obviously I don't have thick meaty wrists like some, so going any bigger would look weird, after a while and some bulking I think it looks alright. Some other casios to compare.

the scratch helps the watch build character.

The Valjoux 7750 is technically inferior to the Lemania 5100, the Seiko 8RXX, hell and even the vintage Seiko 701x and I sure as hell am not paying $2,400 USD for a watch with one.

That's not even to mention the chronograph second hand stutter.

>The Valjoux 7750 is technically inferior to the Lemania 5100

>generic ETA shit is inferior to one of the best Chronograph movements ever devised

I mentioned the Lemania 5100 because I own a Speedmaster Mark 4.5

Seiko 8RXX is also a significantly technically superior design available at a significantly lower price than the Sinn 356.

>taking a photo while driving
Please kill yourself before you kill someone else

at least that watch will survive the crash

Hey senpai I word my SARG005 to the interview and got the job. We Rolex soon.

the 7750 is a robust movement, if it's good enough for Hodinkee (literally everyone at Hodinkee)... it's good enough for me. that goes for natos too (on SOME watches).

you can suck my balls.

>We Rolex soon
>Not Grand Seiko

>tfw hearing the balance in your cheap vintage seiko swing while fapping

>masturbating with a watch on

lefty?

Ambidextrous masturbater

Too big4me?

toobig4u and toobig4ur strap

My first watch

we can tell
>what time is it

1:02 in that picture.. it took me a couple days to get used to reading it lol

>what the

Is this a knockoff or does Movado really make fossil-tier watches now

no its just an older model.. my wife got it for me as a wedding present on ebay for dirt cheap. Had it opened up a shop its real

Don't get me wrong I like your watch

I just always thought movados were like a grand. Wonder what's wrong with this $200 one. Maybe Chinese manufacture?

I'm not sure.. usually one like that would go for 500-600. Maybe it's just in the same boat of being a really old model they trying to get rid of

>plastic digi digi shit

Did you leave her?

No. My wife is currently waiting her first son, and since the nigger father is no longer around, I can't leave until I finish rasing the bastard.

>Hello, this is my wife's son

>hey what time is it user?
>well let me just check my... AT LAST I TRULY SEE

Lol.

MY GOD ITS FULL OF STARS

One of my grails. How many were made exactly?

1000, including the gold case ones according to wiki.

>That 311
So is this what Omega has ended up as: living on past glories, putting new lip stick on the old pigs?

In two years time it will be 50 years since the first Moon landing. What anniversary watch will they launch? A pink monstrosity? With Swarovski crystals?

>1000
Reminder that on the other hand cuck-axials have been made in the several millions since 1999.

How's this for a start if I have small wrists? Casio for a beater
Seiko series 5(?) Field watch for everything else

That's 1000 of the stardust megaquartz's. I'm sure the number of any single model omega model is much smaller than the total.

Good if the casio is a f91w or a g-shock dw5600

They are both beaters though. You might want to get either one of them for a beater and a more formal watch like Orient Bambino for smarter situations.

There are 2 on sale at chrono24 right now.

Hydro'd it for fun when I bought it a year ago, it just werks and I've come to like it a lot. I have an old seamaster in a drawer that needs some work but I'm satisfied with this one.

Nice Apple Watch homage m8.

looks slick

>Robust
Except that the Lemania 5100 is far more robust, and that "robust" is usually said when a movement that belongs in $700 watches is found in a $2,500 watch.

Again, you can get a Seiko 8Rxx chrono for ~$1,600 that has a VASTLY better designed triple vertical clutch column wheel chronograph.

>Good enough for Hodinkee
Do you normally rely on the opinions of paid shills?

>you can get a Seiko 8Rxx chrono for ~$1,600
Any examples of those? Preferably with a rotating bezel?

Why, did you expect the utterly rapacious mountain Jews at Swatch to actually spend money on engineering or innovation? Why would they do that when they could make 37 more purely cosmetic special editions to bilk their sucker customers with?

Sorry, none of them have rotating bezels.

Here is the enameled dial version (my personal favorite 8Rxx in current production).

This one is more SARB/SARX/SDGM styled.

I have no doubt the tech is going to be impressive, but I don't see the use for a dressy chronograph.
What are you gonna do, time the prawn cocktail?

And for that reason, I am out.

Suit yourself. I tend to prefer more austere styling in my watches.

belongs on a vintage-style casual leather strap or a nicer strap as in the pic, nato is retarded for this. in fact i think this is b8.

that's not austere

How much would the battery monkey at a pawn shop or watch shop charge to replace a watch glass with generic sapphire crystal? I'm considering whether or not to spend $30 on the stuff to do it myself

Compared to most 'sports' chronographs it is, and I already said the enameled dial version (the most austere design) was my favorite.

They're in the right here.

>the most austere design
déclassé confirmed

>there are people who don't dive for work and spend tens of thousands for giant ultra accurate dive watches

Meanwhile the SARB is probably the single best value for money mechanical watch on the market.

>preferring enamel over urushi
>Seiko quartz chronograph
>believing the meme that ALL seikos are awesome watches

>mfw by the time that guy replaces his battery a few times your watch will be in a landfill or collecting dust in a box
>a few more times and your kids will be selling your unserviced shit for $50 on eBay while someone can still wear his watch
>yet here you are greentexting quartz as if it's self-evidently bad
heh

Well I don't really know what to expect from them anymore. The Quartz crisis evidently didn't teach them their lesson well enough, the MEMS crisis will wipe them out.

And yes, I really want an innovative watch with informative face without looking like a bomb went off in a 1970's disco.

At this rate I guess anons in here can do a better job of face design.

The Presages are awesome

What kind of watch would you recommend for an advocate of racial purity?

After the fiasco their attempt to implement the co-axial escapement on a production basis turned in to, I would expect them to do everything in their power to avoid having to do any more movement R&D or innovation for as long as they can possibly get away with.

you don't even KNOW what urushi is

before I point you in the direction of the model... I need you to explore urushi. look at how many man hours go into producing 1 dial.

I won't even go into the Japanese polishing technique used on GS, it's over your heads.

Maybe you should look up the Seiko 8Rxx movement before commenting. Also, feel free to point me to the Urushi dialed 8R chronograph model.

>feel free to point me to the Urushi dialed 8R chronograph model.
Yeah, it's this really obscure version they don't make anymore. My dad has two but they're in the attic. Owned.

Yes I know what Urushi is. As far as I knew Seiko never used an urushi dial in the 8R chronograph models. As it turns out, they did offer it in a limited edition for the 60th anniversary. I didn't know that. It's too bad they don't offer a production room version with the Roman numerals.

Also, the 8Rxx is one of the best modern triple vertical clutch column wheel chronograph movement designs on the market right now.

As for Grand Seiko I'm more impressed by the MEMS balance wheels than the zaratsu polishing, as beautiful as the latter is

now we're getting somewhere.

>zaratsu polishing

I didn't think any of the animals in these threads would ever know about urushi or zaratsu.

I know more about that movement than you know about the look of your FACE

>I know more about that movement

Not him, but pls to explain the benefits of this movement over, say, a 7750.

like the fact that the 8r has bidirectional winding (look that up, you won't understand)

my credibility's long established in the world of horology.

>my credibility's long established in the world of horology.

Now I'm genuinely curious. What do you think of Grand Seiko using a MEMS process to make the balance wheels for their hi-beat models? What advantages do you think the process offers versus the conventional approach to making balance wheels?