What's a good air compressor for cleaning electronics (dusting PCs)?

What's a good air compressor for cleaning electronics (dusting PCs)?

Do you own one? Was it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F2C_MhGJQGk&t=1m30s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> What's a good air compressor for cleaning electronics (dusting PCs)?
Use your vacuum cleaner instead, it also captures the dust.

> Do you own one? Was it worth it?
Rarely. It's not like finished electronics are very sensitive to dust, you mainly just do this when the insulation from dust makes them too warm.

But sure, it's a widely used household device.

Yeah it's purely for the heat side of dust build up

also I don't have a vacuum cleaner with the power to remove a lot of the dust that a compressor would

> also I don't have a vacuum cleaner with the power to remove a lot of the dust that a compressor would
Neither do I, I only have one that's "sufficient".

For those very few places where dust is stuck beyond what a household vacuum cleaner can clean (narrow heat sinks come to mind) I just blow with my mouth or mechanically remove it.

>Use your vacuum cleaner instead, it also captures the dust.
>what is ESD

There really isn't. Any machine is going to be much more powerful than needed and increase the risk of static electricity discharge. Cans of compressed "air" made for purpose are just stupid expensive. For cleaning I just remove stuff and wipe it by hand. The front panel of my tower pops right off for access to inlet vents. Case fans are a couple screws. I don't even bother with filters on them. For the CPU and GPU, a wadded up Kimwipe does a good enough job between fan blades and radiator fins.

What I do own is a Honeywell electronic air cleaner; it's electronic in the sense that it uses charged plates to attract dust rather than a HEPA filter alone. It very noticeably impacts dust buildup in the area. I stick it between the open doors of my bedroom and en suite bathroom where dust from my body, clothes and towels is at its maximum. Not only does that keep the rooms cleaner but it leaves little to get sucked into the PC. I just leave it on low while I'm at work.

youtube.com/watch?v=F2C_MhGJQGk&t=1m30s

An air compressor? Are you fucking crazy?

Most of them have oil with that air, thats meant for tires pleb. Please put your dads tools aways or if you're the dad please stop computer parts and get some canned air

One of the better purchases I've ever made.

Gets loud and hot though.

How many cans of air could you have bought with that?

I just use my 15L scuba diving tanks which I use to refill my air rifle.

You should get one with adjustable air pressure. You may get a cable dislodged if the air pressure is too strong. Also always empty it after using it, if you don't water could condense inside the tank.

That's cool, I would like to get an air cleaner but they're pretty damn expensive

I just use one of those hand powered squeezy air bulbs + a vacuum hose nearby to catch it. Because it's just room temperature air and hand power I'm never afraid to get the business end right up next to where I need it.

a second long blast from a hose from 10m away and you computer won't have a spec of dust

I feel like it would be cheaper to rent your father if I wanted something that blows that good.

your mothers free though

> ESD
If dust is sucked into a vacuum cleaner rather than flying about in turbulent patterns, then what happens is... worse?

Also, clearly this is what breaks many devices. ESD from dust.

You worry about the wrong thing. Probably because the eGoys told you there's some ESD safe blower or some shit.

vacuums are shit, dust gets stuck kn the surface unless you wipe it off or blow it off real hard

literally nothing wrong with that
I borrow my friend's compressor every now and then blow out the whole case
keep your distance and you won't take a capacitor off accidentally

Vaccum cleaners get a large static build up on the 'tip' of the cleaner due to fast moving air and dust. For some reason unknown to me air compressor hoses do not. Might be the negative pressure or something related?

there are people in this world who don't own an air compressor already?
how the hell do you inflate your car/bike tires?

a lot of people just get air at service stations

there are air / moisture filters you dolt

or buy an air compressor that's oilless operation. nobody here needs a 2 cylinder 5 gallon compressor to dust out a fucking computer

so what's the problem with blowing slightly oily air into a computer?

$120 is definitely something you can save up toward in a reasonable amount of time.

Maybe like 20-ish.

Unlike canned air, the blower does not get too cold and stop working if you hold down the button too long, forcing you to be shy and blow in short controlled bursts.

Let her rip and blow all the things.