Is PHP done for servers?

Is PHP done for servers?

No. Plenty of legacy for PHP and node is garbage.

fpbp

Is there a single good serverside language?

C

PHP's been done for years, mate. Many years.

Nobody wants to worry about manual memory management for a web app senpai.

So what we need to use now ?

ASP.NET Core

Python

Java, Node.js, C#

well, hardly anyone has even bothered to use C in web applications after Perl gained popularity in the mid 90s.
I did write a somewhat complex C + FastCGI application once based on examples published in 1996, and it was very fast even when running on Apache with mod_fcgid (or was it mod_fastcgi?).

>it was very fast
It's almost like interpreted garbage is wasting resources for no good reason.

Far from it, PHP7 is pretty nice and here to stay.
Ruby (and Rails) are in decline.
No idea about Python (Django, Flask).

I also hear good things about Go (aka Golang) and Elixir.

Clojure.

no its not

PHP 7.0+ is used to write modern cloud services. I know a poo in loo who does this for a living

git gud

fuck php

Is there a good reason to not just make a C backend that communicates via websockets to the client?
It seems easy on both the frontend and the backend.

>Is there a good reason to not just make a C backend that communicates via websockets to the client?
Yes, security. You in particular would botch it and so would your favorite programmer and K&R.

PHP is fine. Pretty much the best option you have right now for server side web dev.

You basically send strings back and forth, if you sanitize it, what can go wrong?

>what can go wrong?
- every retard before they opened up a big gaping security hole

just focus on the problem that needs to be solved instead of the virtues with which you solved it instead, it doesn't matter if you can execute something in 15ms instead of 25ms when your shit internet connection will still take 200ms to load it anyway

They're moving data for our main website to AWS.

C++ with tntnet (it supports even templating)

Node is being used a lot lately, but I wouldn't call that "good".
I've been using Go, which is really simple and straightforward without all the weirdness of JS or PHP.

It's trying really hard to hang on. WordPress and other software will make sure it hangs around in some form or another for quite a while. Also doesn't help that Facebook is written in it, and instead of rewriting their code base, they just wrote a faster VM.

Basically, PHP is too big to fail at the moment, so everyone who relies on it are trying to fix it up in their own way.

D

>be C/C++ guy
>responsible for WordPress site
>get complaint that blog post comments lead to blank page
>check it out and it's true
>wtf?
>check the php log
>timeouts...timeouts every where
>think it's a bug
>nope...php+wordpress is THAT FUCKING SLOW
>increase one of the timeout parameters in php.ini
>30s to 60s
>it werks
>c could probably do it in 0.06s
>tfw the web will always be a slow ass pile of shit because of hipsters, normies, and coder camps

Why live?

>MUH C SECURITY MEME!
>t. Someone Who Has Never Looked At PHP Or JavaScript Bug Lists

>it doesn't matter if you can execute something in 15ms instead of 25ms
>implying php can do anything in 25ms
>implying processing time is meaningless with popular web sites

erlang
go

>I've been using Go

i got sick of nodejs so i was looking into go but i trashed it when i i saw that chaining middleware was like middleware1(middleware2(middleware3()))

fuck that

now I'm learning Elixir.

COBOL

How hard to learn / different is Node.js (and three.js)?

I used to do a fair bit of php/javascript back in the day, but for the last year I've been working with C++/C#/Scala only on non-website development.

I have a fair bit of time over the summer for a new project and fancy a new website.

On low power embedded devices they do. Plenty of people writing serverside applications that aren't "webapps" -- high school dropout code monkeys write webapps (or hope to one day).

anything JVM

>get a bachelors degree in web development and design
>they focused on php and only touched on javascript for 1 semester

am i fucked?

Just learn the ins and outs of asynchronous programming and you should be fine.

the only sensible answer here.

>chaining middleware
literally pleb tier, use a better framework

>c is a granny
>not an ascended multidimensional god

If it's that slow, either the web/database server is misconfigured or the script is fucked.

Node is gud if u r gud

So is JavaScript any good? Teacher was going to offer a free course in it.

I personally like it, but you'll get hate here.
I don't know if I would take a course with it though. Just build a little game like snake or something using js.