Are M.2 SSD's a meme?

Is there any reason for me to go out of my way to get pic related? Currently have OS on a regular sata SSD.

Any personal testimony?

it's for laptops jackass.

not worth to replace SATA SSD.

>it's for laptops jackass
Then why have motherboards been putting M.2 slots in since fucking 2014 huh? Faggot

I have one in my thin client.

960 evo owner here

considering the speeds are quadrupled over a normal ssd.

normal usecase scenarios don't really feel different compared to a normal ssd with 550mb data transferrates

you can feel some differencies in games and projects which take some time to load though

It depends, an OS on a faster SSD such as a m.2 ssd, would probably benefit, but there must be diminishing returns right?
M.2 SSDs have high speeds yet my issue is that if you haven't got a second one, there really isn't much point unless you're just putting games/intensive programs on it. Even then we can reference back to diminishing returns.

Bollocks, m.2 is a faster and smaller form factor pci lane based connection, it is and can be used in all builds.

>120MBps 840 evo
>2,700 MBps nvme SSD

No OP there's no fucking reason to upgrade.

If you have the money to burn, they are a marginal improvement over SATA SSD.
Marginal being the key word. They improvement is minimal in day to day use and if you care about budget at all, SATA SSD of the same capacity are much cheaper.
When someone's gushing over M.2 speeds in comparison to SATA and insisting you just NEED to have a MB with M.2 slots for your SSD, they either don't know what they're talking about or are trying to sell you one.

But what use does this have for every day computing? Even if I have it, copying/transferring anything will be limited by the slower party.

And I wouldn't have anything big on it, games go on a separate SSD as it stands and media on a HDD

Depends on the type of M.2 SSD. NVME SSD's are insanly fast. Compared to MSATA SSD's

Games are probably going to live on the separate SSD they are now, and I wouldn't have any large files to load on it, so I think I'll hold off for now. Whenever I run out of SSD space (~2 years) I will go for it though

overall it's only worth it if you have the money.

i would get a m.2 over an ssd in terms of speed.

but not take an m.2 or ssd for storage.

i'd get a Seagate Firecuda for storage which has some nand buffer

>motherboards that put the m.2 in between the board and the back of the case

they're less impressive when you don't throw massive queues at them

biggest advantage to m.2 is no fucking cables

nvme is much faster but depending on what you're doing it might not feel any different

same price in France.
samsung 750 evo cost 160€
then at 155 you got crucical, pny and corsair.
the difference isn't that big

>Firecuda
Is that what they're calling their hybrid drives now? Is it still only packing 8GB NAND?

Yes but that m.2 ssd hasn't got much of a speed improvement considering it have a max read of 545 MB/s and write of 525 MB/s.

yes and yes

You do remember that it's only good for file storage, it's only good for applications that are called more often than others

well you can also get a intel mainboard with 2 m.2 slots , 1 for a 960 and 1 with intel optane chip for 60$, coupled with a bunch of normal drives

>optane
Not even once.

No reason to move.
Had a full 850 EVO system before and I now have a 960 EVO 500gb in this thing and there's really no noticeable difference in normal use.
I do notice a difference when saving large files in Photoshop and of course there's a tremendous speed increase when it comes to moving stuff around, which is always great.
Anything else, not really.
Only worth if money isn't an issue or if you detest cables in your build.
I think they need to improve the speeds to RAM levels, for people to notice any meaningful difference when coming from a SATA SSDs.

Storage isn't an issue, I have like 8 TB between NAS and on board in HDD and 0.5 TB SSD

I was thinking about a second boot drive - switching my main OS to an m2 and installing secondary OS on the current OS's SSD after. Money over time isn't an issue, but no need to pull any triggers now. Maybe m2 will be a christmas gift

Thanks

For most non-enterprise folks, NVMe means nothing over SATA.

Low end machines just don't have anywhere to send 2+ GB/s of sustained data.

For most people, it's just a matter of an invisibly lower CPU utilization rate for transfers.

>Is there any reason for me to go out of my way to get pic related? Currently have OS on a regular sata SSD.
Not really, nothing about it justifies a new build You can just get a regular PCI express SSD if you want the same benefits of an M.2. You might pay a little more since those are mostly enterprise offerings.

Mostly Intel's need to justify its existence to SSD manufacturers. Nobody wanted yet another fucking storage standard, especially laptop manufacturers.

The real question is M.2 actually noticeably faster than a Sata6 SSD?

define noticable
with big enough transfers everything is noticable

noticeable with everyday usage on wangblows with gaymen

Depends.
In sequential transfers it rapes SATA3 drives. In typical workloads it's barely noticeable.
So if you want to move shit around between your two M.2 drives for fun and run synthetic benchmarks on them all day, it's a massive improvement. Otherwise, not really, since pretty much everything else including the OS itself bottlenecks the theoretical speeds.

nah
maybe very little, not worth the price

>bottlenecked by literally every other component in your system
>write speeds so high winblows 10 or malware can/will destroy the drive in under a week