Microsoft Zune:

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Kin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Inc.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally nothing. The world wasn't ready for that quality of craftmanship

Nothing. I like and still use my original 30Gb Zune.

What did the Zune do differently that the iPod couldn't do?

> 8 years later
must look like ass now
disgusting desu

Bump

"Microsoft" means "sketchy" to people.

supported lossless audio before apple and had a much more attractive user interface. people talk about the build quality and it was great, but the original iPod's were tanks as well. My 3rd gen iPod that I took to high school every day (and dropped on the bus several times) still works fine despite looking like it came through a warzone.

the zune hd was the product they really nailed it with, but their proprietary software was shit and unlike itunes there was no work around, and aside from that apple just had too much control of the market. doesn't matter how good the product was.

dumb frogposter

Microsoft doesn't know how to sell a product.

Zune was better than apple in every way, too bad no one cares because normies, apple cult and shitty Microsoft.

the zune hd had a really nice design imo.

Microsoft should have turned it into a phone.

I loved having a zune, that thing was wonderful build quality also

they had a sweet feature where you could trade music you had with another zune user and it stayed on their zune for a limited amount of time, all wireless without using pc's

I can't think of anything zune did wrong that ipod did right, except maybe marketing and product placement.

I still have my Zune HD after all these years; it's pretty nifty

I loved my Zune.

It finally died because mechanical hardrive.

That's where they went wrong. They should of made it a flash HDD instead of a fucking mechanical one.

>What went wrong?
>Microsoft Zune
>Microsoft
Oh gee OP, it sure is a mystery.

Microsoft's reputation.

Zune should have been released under an entirely different brand name, with no attachment to the Microsoft name.

They've salvaged the brand in recent years between the combination of the Surface and Apple cooling off, but still.

Seriously, what the fuck went wrong?

How do you fuck up suck a beautiful UI?

they fired the wrong guy

>How do you fuck up suck a beautiful UI?
The one where the words run off the edge of the screen? They couldn't choose a font that left enough room for "Marketplace" to fit on the screen?

>the zune hd was the product they really nailed it with,
But the "HD" brand didn't mean what you were supposed to think it meant, did it? It didn't mean anything at all. Just like the GT appellation on many American cars.

The Zune software. The hardware was fantastic but using the software was like sodomizing yourself with a soldering iron.

Still using my zune Hd also. I've cracked the screen, dropped it into a fire and it melted the plastic casing around the wirelesscard back. still works perfectly fine. get good apple. My only gripe is that there isnt a customer service i can call to thank for making such a durable mp3 player.

>runs wangblows CE
>Shit touch screen
>Noapps
>(((OLED))) panel
>Horrible blocky software
>Ugly font
>Bad design (looked like an ugly brick)
>No battery life
>Poor build quality (plastic)
>Microshit

Wasn't too bad, Microsoft just couldn't market, also came out during the advent of smartphones

It could play HD video through the HDMI-out on the dock but didn't have an HD screen on the device itself. a neat feature I guess but not something that needed to be part of the product name.

it did however have a very nice OLED screen, one of the first I think on a consumer product. not counting the single-color OLED screens that had been used for years prior on other media players.

they don't have an "I will by anything with that logo on it" customer base

CE worked fine and had no problems. the hd had a pretty decent 3rd party app library thanks to the XNA development kit, I actually worked on porting doom to it and it's funny that people still download it. it was metal, not plastic, looked small and clean, and had great battery life. dunno what you're talking about, you seem to be mixing details from the 1st gen devices and the HD.

pc software was booty, and device was just not enough to convince people to switch over in a market dominated by apple

Man I loved my zune. Like next to my old sony NW this was the best mp3 player I ever used.

>can slide across the pad in 4 directions
>super responsive
>nice asthetics and interface
>could play videos
>drag and drop functionality

I was one of the only people who bought one it seems. Not trying to be a hipster faggot about it but I really loved the thing. I ended up having to sell it along with a bunch of my video games and computer during an emergency of sorts. I always wanted to get another later, but smartphone doing everything made having an mp3 player specifically kind of redundant.

To linux retards and applefags, maybe.

Normies aren't going to go for poop brown. Steve Jobs reality distortion field was well underway.

It's supported lossless years before apple and was a well built device

They where pretty popular back in the day.

I had some terrible mp3 players as well.

Some weird I river then a creative m then a itouch 3rd gen and the old itouch is the only one still going

It was way too late. If the Zune had come out in 2002 or 2003 with its own digital music store, Microsoft might have had a chance at beating the iPod, but by 2004 the iPod and iTunes were an unstoppable phenomenon. Instead, Microsoft's initial response was the PlaysForSure certification program, which initially demanded exclusive WMA support.

When the Zune did actually launch, it only took Apple two months to obliterate it when Steve Jobs gave the first public iPhone demo at Macworld 2007. And the rest is history.

the kin sold ~ 10,000 units

the kin had a great java interface - they ripped it out and replaced it with windows CE.

jobs worked on the market/software infastructure
it wasn't just the ipod/ipad .. it was the apps market / content delivery (that was seamless, reliable)

When the marketer is Steve Fagshite Blowjob good products fail and crapple products prevail.

crapple products like the ipod, ipad, iphone
those crapple products that steve jobs marketed?

troll / bait / microsoft crap infesting anti-marketing? microsoft is dead in mobile, dead.

story of kin is fascinating

"Kin was unable to Instant Message (IM), or use any IM client,[41] which was considered odd for a phone built for messaging and aimed at the youth market.[36] It was discovered that the ROM inside the phones contained the foundation for an IM system supporting AOL Instant Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Yahoo! Messenger, but it was never made operational. It was speculated that future revisions of the software would have enabled instant messaging."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Kin

kin was out of "danger inc"

danger inc. created an apps market

apple took that out of danger inc. .. microsoft bought the rest (incl. 'zune') .. dead ended it

"Danger, Inc. was a company specializing in hardware design, software, and services for mobile computing devices. Its most notable product was the T-Mobile Sidekick (also known as Danger Hiptop), which was the first smartphone to capture the attention of pop culture celebrities and teenagers in North America. The Sidekick or Hiptop was a pioneer in client-server ("cloud"-based) smartphones and created the App (Applications) marketplace, later popularized by Android and iOS. Danger was acquired by Microsoft on 11 February 2008, for a price rumored to be around $500 million (USD)."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Inc.