What are the most elegant languages from a compilers standpoint?

What are the most elegant languages from a compilers standpoint?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Assembly.

>What are the most elegant languages from a compilers standpoint?
wtf does that even mean?
the best language to build a compiler or the best language to compile?

machine

binary

Lol clearly you don't even know the first thing.

I think lisp/scherm for its syntactical simplicity. You'll need like 5 lines to parse the whole thing.
Then C because of its tight relation with the ASM equivalent of C code
Then probably fortran or something I don't know that much about the older languages

for which architecture

LISP

FORTH
R
O
T
H

Maybe Oberon, a member of the Pascal family. The spec for the language is seventeen pages long: people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf

Wirth and his people were able to get an entire OS (Project Oberon) to run on an FPGA-based computer with one megabyte of RAM. Good luck finding a way to run a recent version on either a PC or in a VM, as the people at ETH Zuerich are shit about keeping their websites in order.

>Good luck finding a way to run a recent version on either a PC or in a VM, as the people at ETH Zuerich are shit about keeping their websites in order.
Isn't it commercially anyway?

most likely lisp

lisp or scheme

Most likely a language the compiler can derive the most specific semantics from.

So not assembly/lisp/forth/[your_macro_garbage_here].

For any.
It has 1:1 representation in machine code.

what

Lisp or Forth, because the core language is tiny and most of the language proper is just libraries.

scheme in both ease of parsing and implementation
go in ease of parsing

that's a good one too

Forth.
You parse whitespace delimited words, look them up in the dictionary (i.e symbol table) and either execute them immediately (if interpreting, or the word should be executed at compile time), or compile a call to the word.
If word not found in dict, try and parse as number and interpret/compile that.

You can bootstrap and implement this in a few hundred asm lines or less.

Literally brainfuck
Doesn't need a compiler