Why is there no successful Linux hardware?

Why is there no successful Linux hardware?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KsXaebhabmk&\
google.com/chromebook/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Runtime
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/02/an-introduction-to-google-android-for-developers/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_virtual_machine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But user, there is.
youtube.com/watch?v=KsXaebhabmk&\

>Linux
>Hardware

Also

>Every sever
>Most smartphones
>Some game consoles

I think Linux is pretty successful in the server field.

bait thread

Java VM is not LInux

Android uses the Linux kernel you fucking plebeian

It could be using the Windows kernel or Debian kernel to the same effect like Microsoft does with Ubuntu on Windows. The OS part of Android is a Java VM.

Imagine being this retarded

google.com/chromebook/

>being this ignorant
>calling others retarded when you get BTFO

Android Runtime (ART) is an application runtime environment used by the Android operating system. Replacing Dalvik, which is the process virtual machine originally used by Android, ART performs the translation of the application's bytecode into native instructions that are later executed by the device's runtime environment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Runtime

Until you can point out the 3 things you said, completely unrelated to android being a Java runtime, I will not consider anything you say relevant at all.

>dude I was just PRETENDING!!!!

Here newfag, let me spoonfeed you.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/02/an-introduction-to-google-android-for-developers/

You LITERALLY just proved our point. A-are you ok man?

So it's a stripped down version of Linux? That still means it's Linux. What the guy was probably saying is, android isn't GNU.

That is Android's founding document. Android is not Linux.

>Although Android is built on top of the Linux kernel, the platform has very little in common with the conventional desktop Linux stack. In fact, during a presentation at the Google IO conference, Google engineer Patrick Brady stated unambiguously that Android is not Linux.

>Much of the Android userspace operates within the constraints of Dalvik, Google's own custom Java virtual machine. Dalvik uses its own bytecode format called Dex, and is not compatible with J2ME or other Java runtime environments. Third-party Android applications are written in Java using Android's official APIs and widget toolkit. The Android SDK includes special compilation tools that will translate Java class files into Dex bytecode and generate an installation package that can be deployed on Android devices.

NO.

Userspace is 100% completely different from any Linux distributions. It's a Java Virtual Machine. Which means that there's no meaningful information in calling Android a Linux distribution - none of the software will work on Linux so there's no point in calling Android a Linux distribution other than meaningless pedantry.

Android is not a Linux distro. Android is a high-level OS that sits on top of a low-level OS, which is almost always Linux. In fact, there are implementations of Android that do not use Linux underneath. This seems to come up a lot, and I really don't understand why people can't grasp it. The closest example I could think of is Windows, which in its early days was built on DOS or the NT kernel depending on the release.

its fucking linux by another name. who fucking cares they're probably just protecting themselves legally with that bullshit

>it's built on top of Linux
Yes it is
>it has very little in common with the desktop Linux stack
>desktop Linux
>DESKTOP
So they obviously meant GNU/Linux

Which all translates to "android isn't GNU", which is correct.

It's still Linux although a stripped down version at that like user above said.

I hope pic related can help you. If not then you should really lay off huffing paint.

Would you also say windows embedded is NOT a "true" windows OS?

Are you seriously gonna bring the "no true scottsman..." BS into a tech board m8?

this

No.

No.

>a stripped down version

No. It's literally a Virtual Machine running on top of Linux. What part of Virtual Machine don't you understand?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_virtual_machine

>ITS ANDROID NOT LINUX

is this the new gnu/linux interjection copypasta?

QUICK, someone adlib the old copypasta with android instead of gnu/linux

>If you call the whole GNU/Linux system “Linux”, you will find it necessary to say things like, “Android contains Linux, but it isn't Linux, because it doesn't have the usual Linux [sic] libraries and utilities [meaning the GNU system].”

rms was right.

It's still linux at the end of the day. Anyway who gives a shit? Linux android is only used on phones because nothing better exists.

>inb4 "muh Linux debian mobile!1"
It's nowhere near remotely useful on a phone.

WOW, I really didn't expect Sup Forums to be so ignorant about Linux and Android.

Android is not Linux, Android uses Linux. There's a huge difference between the two. Android can still work without Linux and Google is currently working on their own kernel to replace the Linux kernel.

Explorer.exe can run without NT. Does that mean it's not a part of windows?

lmao you're like that sand nigger preaching about how no "true" muslim would put bombs all over their body and blow up hospital and grade schools despite those who do that having read the cou-ran (however the fuck you spell that shit) and being indoctrinated by it.

Android and "Chrome OS" and the Google fanboys who support them have done more harm to the growth of NATIVE LINUX than any corporation in existence. Because of Android and "Chrome OS" people stopped developing applications for desktop Linux.

Their argument does something like: Android is Linux or "Chrome OS" is Linux. They think having the Linux kernel makes it Linux.

Is no one going to derail the thread to talk about how cute the new 2DS look?

>Because of Android and "Chrome OS" people stopped developing applications for desktop Linux.
No they stopped developing for linux because it's a dead platform only used by neets who rice their desktop to get maximum internet points in desktop threads.

Google was never needed to bring the loonix downfall, it would have wasted away on its own.

You to be 18 to post on Sup Forums sweetie.

*blocks your path*

Just like android, GNU can run without Linux as it can use Hurd which is another kernel. But that doesn't mean GNU/Linux isn't Linux. It uses the Linux kernel on almost all distros, so those distros are Linux distributions. As long as Android uses Linux as it's kernel, it WILL be Linux and it's 100% accurate to call it a mobile Linux distribution. To clarify, if it ran on WinNT kernel it would be accurate to call android a windowsNT OS. When people say android, they mean Android/Linux, as in the OS as a whole and not just the virtual machine part of it. The same applies to when people say Linux. They (usually) mean GNU/Linux and are not specifically referring to the Linux as a kernel.

That's not linux hardware you butt. Can that piece of shit even run linux android?

This is actually a good response.

>run linux android
but user, why would i want a pile of java shit on top of my linux

Protip: There's no such thing as GNU/Linux.

GNU's parent organization, the Free Software Foundation (FSF), is a political organization and Linus Torvalds has made many public criticisms of them and Richard Stallman.

Further, the linux kernel does not require the GNU userspace any more than the GNU userspace requires the linux kernel.

>That's not linux hardware
Yes it is. It's specifically designed to run ARM builds of common GNU/Linux distros like Debian or Ubuntu, you asshat.

No. But all of it's competitors do. Raspberry is Apple of SBPCs. It's overpriced and has shit hardware. rPi zero is the only one worth buying.

Care to explain, sperglord?

No

It means that Explorer.exe isn't NT, dumbass.

I love how much you said without saying anything.
You said that that Linus Torvalds has criticized the FSF to say that there's no such thing as GNU/Linux. Those two things have almost nothing to do with each other.

And saying the Linux kernel doesn't require the GNU userspace is correct sure, but also doesn't help your argument at all. NT doesn't require Windows userspace and Windows userspace doesn't require NT either. And yet Windows usually refers to NT + Windows userspace.

TomTom GPSs were pretty successful, as were thousands of other devices that ran/run Linux.

>Debian kernel

>conventional desktop Linux stack
This is referring to GNU with Linux.

>Android uses the Linux kernel

Wrong. Saying Android is Linux is like saying that GNU/Linux is MINIX and that MINIX is UNIX. Then where does it end? Android is not Linux, stop moving the goalposts cuck.

No

Yes

But Android is Linux, user. It's not GNU/Linux, just like Alpine isn't either. It uses the Linux kernel with other things over it.

>Why is there no successful Linux hardware?
If you don't include almost every consumer network device, and every business grade network hardware, this is a legitimate question.

our servers run on ubanto and its making made dosh!

Those look pretty comfy desu. If my 3ds broke & I still played video games I would get one.

You can probably load it on that sweet 2ds you have on pic related

>being MS
>want to use android apps on their phone system so makes a linux subsystem
The slide is fucked up, because they meant it's not gnu/linux.
This user got it.
Denial, the posts.