/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5zob94/microsoft_is_now_blocking_windows_7_and_windows/
pcpartpicker.com/list/jmcnJV
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K
anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/20
pcpartpicker.com/list/FRjW8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/FRjW8K/by_merchant/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313807&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL042817C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL042817C-_-EMC-042817-Latest-_-DesktopMemory-_-20313807-S1A5C&ignorebbr=1
gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list
pcpartpicker.com/list/fdYDNN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>RX 570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
stop this meme
you need at last rx580/480 or 1060 for confort
you can happily play in 1080p on 470/570 but its far from
>all you need

real thread

lol you're so fucking retarded it's funny

reddit fags never get old

Does win7 x64 ultimate actually run decently on Risen?

Because if it does i might actually hold off on buying another build for a couple more months still and get a current gen ryzen build instead

What the fuck? This isn't the picture i downloaded earlier

Goddamn tech review sites i fucking swear

Performance is better on average in win10.

You keep spamming the same thing every thread and in all sorts of other threads yet you have dozens of people disagreeing with you and repeatedly disproving your bullshit with cited sources.
I give up and I'm just going to call you a faggot now.

You're borderline on breaking the spamming rule since you keep saying the same thing over and over, derailing threads, despite being disproven repeatedly.

Well fuck me, apparently the kikerosoft devs have flagged all ryzen win7 systems to be excluded from the windows update server;

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5zob94/microsoft_is_now_blocking_windows_7_and_windows/

Anyone know if this can be manually circumvented thru AutoPatcher/WSUS et al?

There's gotta be a way to do a standalone install of these security patches/update packages on win 7 ryzen systems

>Performance is better on average in win10.

Kek yeah but the price for that performance increase is volunteering all your information and the stuff you type to (((microsoft))) even if you """opt out""" of telemetry

You can literally google just what you asked and get an answer as one of the first results
>"circumvent windows 7 ryzen update blocking"
/pcbg/ is not for "google this for me"

Buy it for $30 off Kinguin or don't buy it.
I'd primarily use Linux anyway now days. Linux is so much better now than 10 years ago.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jmcnJV

Upgrading to a strictly gaming PC. 1440p 144hz with VR in the future. I have basically no idea what I'm doing and just assembled this list off a nights worth of research and YouTube videos. Any advice would be appreciated

I think I know the answer but how is x265 encoding on ryzen 7?

I got some DVD rips of tv shows that take for fucking ever on my 3570k @ 4.3Ghz.

And by forever I mean like half an hour per 23min episode

Dude chill out it's just a question lol

I already got both x86 and x64 iso's when they offered the ""free upgrade"" to windows 10 to everyone last year (free as in give us all your data as a payment lel)

So yah i'm good, i'd much rather opt for some barely noticeable slightly worse performance than volunteering all my data to fucking microsoft, besides i could update to win10 anyways later on if i wanted

>all dose emulators
fuuuuuuuck I want a 1700 right now

Bumping since i also want to know this

>Does win7 x64 ultimate actually run decently on Risen?
It's supported by AMD. Download the shit below to get your drivers. Funnily enough it doesn't mention support for 8.1
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx

You're doing it wrong.

>Well fuck me, apparently the kikerosoft devs have flagged all ryzen win7 systems to be excluded from the windows update server;
There's a github for circumventing it not just for Ryzen but Skylake and Kabylake too
So much for supporting windows 7 until 2020
MS can get sued for this

>tfw you stress test your 3.95 ghz oc and it's stable
>3200 mhz mem stable
I'M GOING EVEN DEEPER
very good

Why are there two threads? Just gonna repost what I said in the other one:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K

Wanting to upgrade from an i3 2100 that has 8gb ddr3. Have a 1tb WD black drive, and a 1050 GTX that I dont plan on upgrading for 1-2 years.

Prime uses: gaming on my 1600x1200 res monitor (lol), with some video editing on the side as a hobby.

Thoughts on the RAM? Would like to shave off money on the RAM and SSD if possible.

Check this.
anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/20

>Thoughts on the RAM? Would like to shave off money on the RAM and SSD if possible.
Check if the RAM won't cause you any problems, there's a list somewhere.

Is that 8 hours or 8 minutes? What settings are you running?

I have some basic bitch settings. 20 RF constant quality. and basically default everything else.

Not too bad but I would drop the AIO water cooler and get a regular fan cooler if you don't plan on overclocking a whole lot. A Cryorig H7 or scythe Fuma should be fine if staying stock or light OCing, and get a real water cooling system if you do some heavy duty shit since AIO coolers are kind of loud.

That's x264 (pretty much preset very slow), with deinterlacing, sharpening, dehaloing, and debanding.

Should I get an i5 or i7 for arma 3
Currently running i3 4130, tried my friend's i5 6500 and it already runs like a dream in comparison online and with lots of ai

Also don't buy a "gaming" motherboard, it's just gimmicks and LEDs used to attract MLG 369 nu-scope kids who think a gaming mobo means it's somehow more powerful than a regular mobo. You can get it if you want but you'll be wasting money on features you'll never use. An asus z270 prime-a will give you what you want for $30 less.

No ryzen fixed it's problems
you have to check on a per motherboard basis
2400 usually doesn't have problems

Is there any reason to get an i5 over Ryzen?

i5 is fine for most games. i7 is something you'd want if you stream your game play, create media like videos or music, do some CAD or want to utilized multicore programs and games like battlefield 1. I got an i7 since I use it for solidworks and it works well with flow simulation too. Plan far ahead with somethings like a PC since depending on what you study/work for, your computer will make assignments easier to do. If you're only gaming and doing light work with program, i5 is perfect. If you want to do a lot of heavier games and work on streaming, video editting or making shit, i7 will make it easier.

better single core performance, edge in games

real thread

really only the 6600k if you are going absolute pure gaymen (a 1600 will still beat it in many cases and comes with a cooler and mobo can be cheaper for oc)
other than that, no

fuck off this one was first and has more posts.

what voltage and board? grats tho.

Report the other for spamming. It's some fuckhead that should be banned. Might already be banned and keeps evading it.

>Thoughts on the RAM? Would like to shave off money on the RAM and SSD if possible.
There's $5 cheaper faster RAM for sale on newegg. Team Dark I think. 2x8GB DDR4 3000 for $100.
I'd get a 500GB+ SU800 or MX300 instead for $30-$40 more instead of something cheaper, though..

Is that not using the hardware encoder on the 7700k which is much less quality for a given bitrate?

not sure if you're retarded or just trolling, real thread had posts first

>4 minutes later
>first

what OS would you put on your brand new build?
Would you unironically go with win10?

>anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/20
Okay so get a 7700k over ryzen. Got it.

I need a motherboard, Intel CPU, and 8gb of ram for around $200. What should I get?

I might need a graphics card too so what should I get for around $200 if I also needed a graphics card?

Where on earth did you even come close to that conclusion?

I would install Linux and use run Windows in a VM with PCI passthrough

G4560 unless an i3-7100 is still on sale for $80-$90.

Intel Core i5 7600
16 GB 2400 MHz RAM
500 GB SSD
2 TB HDDs x2
MSI Radeon Gaming X 580 8 GB

8gb of ram is around $50-$60 regardless of brand, so a $150 cpu+mobo combo is what you should aim for. i3-7100 is good but g4560 is easier on your wallet at the moment. And any mobo is good as long as you don't buy a "gaming" mobo.

>i5
>current year

>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
There's a 970 in my area for a 100 bucks, but I also want to get Ryzen for a new build. What do, Sup Forums?

>dozens of people disagreeing with you
many people baing wrong at the same doesnt make wrong any less wrong

Alright. So I am in a shit spot right now and need advice and knowledge.

After spending all fucking day looking up what went wrong with my PC and why it won't boot, it has been narrowed down to either bad RAM or a bad motherboard. ASUS support (I have a Crosshair VI Hero for my Ryzen 1700) explained to me that it is most likely the RAM because Corsair Dominator DDR4 is not part of the Qualified Vendor List (QVL). He said they could work for a while, but will most likely die/no longer work randomly like they did today.

So I am thinking, that I will get a refund on the RAM only and buy a compatible one. I don't think an RMA on the Motherboard would work since it does get power sort of (leds are on and such, but it won't boot). So what should I do /pcbg/?

Run memtest first at least.

(Windows Memory Diagnostic)

Tomahawk
1.365 I think on voltage
gonna try to get the 4.0

take ram out and try single stick try with each stick
chances that all of them failed at the same time are slim

is the b350 mortar a shitty board for the price?

I can't do any tests is the problem. The thing won't boot up at all. So this is why I ask for advice. I have no spare parts or anything. I pretty much have to hope the support was right and get new RAM and HOPE that it works.

Tried that in every slot. Did by twos and by ones. Still won't boot.

970 for $100 is a reasonable deal as long as you understand you'll need to drop settings to make sure you stay under 3.5GB VRAM usage or it shits itself.

Most ryzen+nvidia GPU problems can be avoided by not using DX12 or Vulkan, which is usually an option and should be done with an Nvidia GPU anyway. But there are some DX12 only games, and some upcoming Vulkan only ones, and Gameworks games still cause a problem which might get fixed.
At $100, it might be worth going for. Shame you missed those $90-$130 and less RX470 sales.

That's true, but they have citations to back up how wrong the statement is.

Audio is decent. But if you need decent audio, get a DAC instead.

it's probably not ram as i said chances of both sticks to fail at once are so slim that it doesn't happen.
The fans spin but you have nothing on the screen? Did you made sure gpu is not at foult?

yes quotas like
>you don't need more than medium/high
>you dont need more than 60 fps average

and by going with this way of thinking i dont need to play at all

580 8gb is no brainer and worth to pay up if you are already in 570 price range.
get even an entery level 580 8gb model

i seen people going for high end 4gb 570 with unless you are silence freek is so ridiculous i cant stomak that.

Ant finally trully 1080p you dont need more card is a gtx1070 that will let you play at rock solid 60 always (at last 99% of time) but it is a big pay up over 580.

>quotas
*quotations

Nothing happens at all. No fans spin, no noise, no screen start, etc. It's pretty much as if there was nothing in the case. I thought it was the power button cable, but I already tested it with a replacement I had lying around and double checked to see it was connected right. The PSU works fine and is connected as well.

The only two culprits left are the motherboard or the RAM. But again, the reason I bring up RAM is because the ASUS support guy made me think that was the case since the Corsair Dominators aren't on the QVL. It's such a shitty situation. I am almost certain it is the RAM because the motherboard does have lights, but being a newbie to PC building, I don't know for certain. Can no RAM really prevent a boot from occuring?

>No fans spin
its psu or motherboard

>because the motherboard does have lights
dude fans literally do not spin
you dont need to butt up to have them spinning just power delivered

>ASUS support guy made me think
>asus guy says asus is not at foult

why did you even call costumer support? They are useless and i mean it for every company not just asus. If you want costumer support get prebuild lol.
Take your pc to local pc shoop and pay them like 10$ to test what is wrong with your pc.

Alright, I'll just RMA the mobo then. I'm not experienced with PC building so I didn't know for sure what to do. All I knew was it was either the RAM or Mobo. Sucks that I even have to deal with this so often. Seriously wish I bought a prebuilt sometimes. The amount of faulty shit I get is fucking ridiculous.

The reason I thought ASUS guy was right, or at least made me think, was because it was a weird thing to say. I was 100% certain that my RAM was compatible, but for him to bring up that OVL thing was unexpected.

When did you get your motherboard? At launch? Did you flash you're BIOS at all when you first got the board? I have the crosshair x370 as well. Also with Corsair ram. The motherboard shipped with BIOS number 702. This was known to brick the motherboard because it would over volt the SOC to 1.55v+. You have to flash to BIOS 902 it higher to boot be at risk.

How's long did you have the PC before this problem showed itself?

Are HGST drives worth the cash? Or are they like noctua, more expensive and do very well, but cheaper alternatives would also do just as well? I ask because I'm looking to buy 2 high capacity drives

2x8TB HGST drives are almost $760

2x10TB Seagate helium enterprise drives are $820

All reviews of the Seagate drives say they're great. Thoughts?

> it is most likely the RAM because Corsair Dominator DDR4 is not part of the Qualified Vendor List (QVL). He said they could work for a while, but will most likely die/no longer work randomly like they did today.
Shit really? First I've heard of this

Probably the mobo or psu. RAM failing can be easily checked with another kit. Borrow a friend's to test or buy a replacement and return the faulty kit. A fucked up mobo or psu can be RMA'd after your store warranty is over but asus has shitty RMA policies and Evga is god tier on their RMA process on account of how many items they've had to deal with.

HGST drives are server drives meant to last those million hours they advertise. They got wise to people liking their reputation and raised prices on their models but they do have a low chance of failure compared to other companies. Still, seagate and WD are good now. Seagate had an issue with their 3TB drives in 2013 but that has since been fixed but Sup Forums likes to fear monger and support brand loyalty by shitting on Seagate, while WD is super common since their Caviar Blue 1TB drive is a best seller for many areas. If you want the most out of your HDD, HGST is great, but WD and Seagate aren't too far off for reliabilty and Toshiba is ok.

>I'll just RMA the mobo then
are you 100% sure psu is fine?

Did you test it?

If they don't work then it's Asus's fault for having shit support

Just filed for an RMA, it has been only a week, so I really doubt they'll fuck me over on it. Decided to keep the RAM, worst case scenario is I go and replace them down the line, but like you guys explained, it seems super unlikely they both died. Just hoping the new motherboard lasts longer, fucking tired of having to open my rig so much. Was finally done upgrading until this crap happened.

Had it for a week and it worked fine until today. I know all about the problems they had at launch and such. And yes, I did everything to try and fix it. From flashback bios, CMOS, etc. If it existed, I tried it. Decided to admit defeat and RMA. Gonna be a pain to take this thing out. I finally got around to do some cable managing too.

Same here. When the support told me this, I was so fucking confused and scared. I didn't even know that was a thing. Hoping he is full of shit though, guess I will see when the new mobo comes.

I'd bet my only kidney on it that it still works. Mobo HAS to be the culprit. Maybe it got shocked, burned, or something random, who knows. My PSU can give it power since the LED's light, but for whatever reason, the bottom half of the thing is like dead and non responsive.

>Toshiba is ok

Yea I have 2x4TB Toshiba drives right now that are getting full. The X300 line. The $110 per drive I paid was a steal. Idk. Maybe ill just stick with Toshiba that I've been having so much luck with. Their 6TB X300 drives are only $175 a piece. 10TB disks would be nice though...

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/FRjW8K
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/list/FRjW8K/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.25 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.96 @ Amazon)
Total: $629.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-28 22:58 EDT-0400

Thoughts? New here.

>had it for a week

You sat flashback/cmos reset etc. You realize none of that would do anything to help you if you were still running the 0702 BIOS it shipped with. The BIOS itself was flawed and would result in a bricked board over time. 1 week sounds about right. You should RMA the board yes, but know what your mistake was. If you didn't flash a BIOS 0902 or higher, the BIOS bricked the board.

Alright I already posted here about getting a r5 1600 and ssd with my 1050

I am using a 4:3 monitor and most new games don't support it so I believe it's time I retire my Acer monitor from 2007.

What's a decent monitor that's 1080p, 60 hz, and between $70 and $140?

Yep. Pretty sure this is the answer.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313807&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL042817C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL042817C-_-EMC-042817-Latest-_-DesktopMemory-_-20313807-S1A5C&ignorebbr=1
Maybe get this RAM unless that other is on the QVL and this isn't.
Rest looks fine.

Just go ahead and get a 75hz 1080p freesync for $115ish. Even though 1050Ti can't use it, you can upgrade later. There's a few of them.

gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list
Just go off the user reviews.

>I'd bet my only kidney on it that it still works
i wouldn't if i were you. I revived pc with exact same symptoms with a psu swap
Im not saying its not motherboard it probably is but psu could be at fault to.

It could be and I'll need to wait for the replacement to come and see. But based on the Ryzen mobos having well documented problems and the fact that it powers up the mobo, I would be shocked if it were the case. Hoping it is the mobo though, I just want to finally be done with this building process. I was right up until today too.

>tfw waiting for AM4 mounting bracket

I have a shitty FX stock cooler to fall back on at least, but still. ;_;

I want to make the 120 FPS meme machine a reality for once in my life but I don't have a real baseline of where to start.

AMD or Intel?

1080 or 1080ti?

Monitors I know effectively nothing about but my asus VH238 has never let me down with my current rig.

Trying to upgrade from an i5 2500 build from 2012.

I thankfully got a Ryzen board that also had am3+ mounting holes. Was able to just slap my cooler on there and be done with it. Been encoding with my 1700X for the last week.

>tfw checking hwmonitor logs and seeing 16 threads locked to 100%

Cooler keeps my 3.5ghz 1700X under 60C even while encoding for literally days on end. If this recent bout of encoding wasn't a stress test to push for any sort of instability, I don't know what is.

1080 is good for like 90-144+fps depending on the game.

A Ryzen 6 core is generally the way to go but sometimes there's problems with Nvidia GPU on it in DX12/Vulkan/Gameworks. If you can wait for Vega, that'd probably be better.

Not the user you're responding to, but the whole Ryzen/Nvidia "problem" pertains only to DX12 and vulkan stuff right? I ask because I've yet to see a single issue using my 1700X/980ti setup in DX11 titles. I mean my card is ass for DX12 anyway.

You shouldn't even be using an Nvidia GPU for DX12 or Vulkan, at least not until Volta.

Ryzen ITX when?

You shouldn't be using DX12/Vulkan on an Nvidia GPU because it almost always performs worse.
But some games are DX12 only. Some upcoming games are Vulkan only.
But the Gameworks problem still persists no matter the graphics API. Gameworks is an API for the game application itself so it runs on the CPU and isn't properly optimized for Ryzen on that end.
The problems with individual games and Ryzen is really quite low. Most of the problems that popped up on day1 benchmarks were pretty much all Nvidia driver problems except for Total War and Ashes, which were both patched, and Watch Dogs 2.

So idk. It depends on the games you play. I haven't seen any Ryzen+Nvidia issues that weren't DX12/Vulkan/Gameworks but they could exist and I've just not seen.

>Ryzen ITX when?
Went on sale today. Sold out in under 30 minutes.
And it's Biostar. Others might not be here until June... but I imagine they're just giving conservative dates and they'll come May.

fug :DDD

Which site?
I see nothing on Amazon and only 1 on newegg.
I heard Biostar was going to release an X370 and B350.

I downloaded more RAM today. The sticks in slot 2 and 1 are 4 GB and 2 GB from an old computer that was pawned off on me the other day. Dropped the speed by 300 MHz but brought the capacity from 16 to 22.

Any thoughts about this? Is this a blunder I should undo?

1600 or 1600x? I want to OC to 4GHz

Both will nearly certainly get to 4GHz, the 1600X just might get to 4.1

>You shouldn't be using DX12/Vulkan on an Nvidia GPU because it almost always performs worse.
Except in games where DX12 is only a wrapper slapped on by lazy devs, this statement is true.

what the shit that's too fucking fast
I want my cute little Ryzen build
guess I'm going to wait for the APUs

I just bought a G4560, assrock B250M microATX mobo, and 16GB DDR4, to replace a Q8400 from 2009.

I'm keeping all my other parts including my shitty GPU (R7 260X). Probably have to upgrade that later this year.

can someone link me to a build that is already finished and includes RX580 and R5 something. That's about all i know what I want after 3 days of reading shit.

so i just downloaded cpu-z and noticed my cpu core voltage is unstable

it keeps changing.. from 1.0xx V to 1.2xx V

this is under load btw, should i be worried?

what
it changes because of different power saving states
look at the frequencies the CPU is outputting and compare
this is normal

ohhh

well thanks, im an idiot

Gonna get most of this soon might change rx580 with Vega if it turns out to be great. pcpartpicker.com/list/fdYDNN
imo this is as good as a ryzen budget build gets without losing any performance or buying chink shit. Will probably get a 75hz instead of 144hz monitor if i don't get Vega tho.

What do you guys think of the ryzen "enthusiast" build currently being featured? Thinking of ordering it. $2507 with peripherals and OS. It looks really solid both aesthetically and spec wise.

Are you going to do heavy multitasking to justify R7? Also you'll be droping alot of cash down the drain for led aesthetics.