/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

I offered this grouping for a GMT master II ceramic and he declined. I am having a hard time waiting patiently for my next watch. Need more canacuck bucks.

How can you have a modern rolex, a tiny gold bar, and be short just another tiny gold bar to get another rolex?

Don't you have a buffer for times like these?

Most of my money is tied up in savings that I refuse to touch for hobbies and such. So I have a watch fund that grows slowly.

I still love this watch after wearing it daily for 3 years. It always was -4s/d late, currently it keeps perfect time for whatever reason.

>picture from right now

also since I never post pictures on here or view them at a big screen. I'm pleasantly surprised at the HTC 10 picture quality on auto mode.

Not sure. I assume they got their movements in bulk from the Swiss and assembled the rest in the US to compete with actual American watch makers at the time.

Meant to cross reply to

Slow thread. Post wrist shots

bump cyka blyat

Nice, do you only wear it on the bracelet?

I need a diver in my life. Swiss not commie. Yours is still nice tho

The movement is from Switzerland making it a "Swiss" watch

Ok.

650 best Amphibia case

Its a good watch for the price, my "mod" was inspired by pic related
woha is this case new? never seen it before, it would serve my mod even better

we posting amphibias now?

I think is an Amphibia SE which is Vostok's "refreshed" Amphibia line

yep, it's comfy.

>Tfw I'm in the UK so I have to wear my shitty tag quartz aqua racer so I don't get mugged

Feels bad man. Can't wait to get back to my country in June. I'm going to buy a VC overseas simple date.

Dad's watch

Pic of watch.

Yeah.

Fuck, marry, kill?

Super cool user. What does he do for a living?

kill all

is the middle one a 420 case with that custom rounded bezel?

he's obviously a pimp.

>swiss made high-end master race patrician collector here

Exactly, custom "smooth bezel" and custom (((franken))) vintage Komandirskie dial.

The SE deserves some fugg at least...

Is something bothering you user?

Nah. Just your daily reminder that mechanicals are inferior

BOCKTOKBOIIIS

>thinly veiled shibe pic

My first mechanical after 17 years of not ever caring about watches

What would make you choose the VC overseas over the Royal oak or nautilus?

Would you?

Do the new 39mm OPs come with that rubber strap?

i bought a vintage digital casio with no strap. is the original casio replacement resin strap worth it (cca. 20 € with shipping) or should i get the knockoff version for about 10 €?

additional info: the watch cost me 10 €

QUARTZ

Quite a few reasons actually.
Nautilus:
> Out of my price range
> I feel like it suits older men than me
otherwise, I adore this watch.

the Royal Oak:
> The watch is "stands out" way too much for my taste
> It honestly became a meme in my country. All the "celebs" or wanna-be show offs either buy a fake royal oak or a genuine one. either way I feel like it lost its prestige here. I was considering buying the Ultra Thin but now I changed my mind.

Overall, The Overseas suits my needs & I really like the interchangeable bracelets.

What does /wt/ think of the Seiko Turtle? I'm thinking of getting it over the skx009 cause of the hacking/winding, but I'm not too sure on the large case.

I wish I could get the skx009 but with the movement of this

No, that looks awful

It wears small thanks to the short lug to lug. You should get the padi one, it's way sexier than the normal pepsi.

Nato

Yeah get the turtle. With the bracelet.

My wrist size is only 6.5,

Are Fortis pieces of dog shit? They recently had a price decrease on Watchbuys.

Also how good are the Halios watches I'm considering a Seaforth

Nope. Irritatingly the bracelets don't come with the easy link extension either.

Can this be fixed? Dial is off, the rest seems ok.

pic.

Comfy Saturday. This showed up in the mail. I know it won't impress any of you guys, but I think it looks nice, and it was cheap—$150 shipped. Vitnamese croc strap is in the mail.

My 16220

Can any jeweler polish the glass, or do I have to send it off?

>sideways pic
wow it's like 1997 here on Sup Forums

QUARTZ is my favorite brand I suppose...

I've been lurking for months and I still don't know whether I should cop this SARB017 or not. It's the only watch I really like but it'd also be my first watch. I'm also afraid of all the misaligned issues I've been reading about. Good choice or nah?

>The Overseas suits my needs & I really like the interchangeable bracelets.
The way they make it so easy really is a nice plus.
What country are you in?
RO's are a meme where I live too, but since people literally aspire to be walking memes draped in every fucking gaudy brand named shit under the sun, it doesn't seem to bother most.

How much would you pay for these?

30 to 120 depending on condition/features/specs

>IIII

>tfw most roman numeral watches appear to use IIII
can anyone tell me why this is?

Lurker here. Bought this on eBay for £20, production serial number says it's from Jan '85. It loses between 2 - 5 min per day, though. Are they expensive to service?

Because that's the normal way for watches to do it, and was also common to see in ancient Rome.

It also divides the dial neatly into thirds. You have 4 numbers composed of only "I" 4 with a "V" and 4 with an "X."

Well then why is user bullying me :(

This is normal on many watches, both vintages and new ones.

They're fine watches objectively, in the same way Oris and Sinn are. You're just buying from the absolute worst fucking price point. Save up and go higher.

Probably II + II.

Sales. It belonged to my grandfather who was a less successful version than Donald Trump

I don't usually recommend polishing but it kind of needs it overall.

every time I see this I can't tell if that valet is a teenaged kid or middle aged

Spic here, I'd say he's 16

Please help me! Is it normal for a Tissot Visodate automatic watch to gain 3 minutes in one week? I mean, once I brought my watch to the shop where I bought it and they told me that they checked the movements and that everything should be fine from then, but after a week or so I started noticing that my watch had gone 3 minutes earlier than the current time in my zone. I'm puzzled.

bump for seiko 5 answers

honestly +/- 30 seconds a day is already good for an automatic that isn't GS or COSC

just get a quartz if you can't handle the variation

Kuwait.
It's not only that it's a meme. The fact that almost everyone will recognise your watch and therefore immediately assume it is fake (because of my age & also the huge amount of fakes floating around) is a huge slap on the face for a watch enthusiast (and anyone honestly, since you're dropping 20k on that watch).

I blame hip hop & those rich instagram fag kids for ruining the brand. AP is slowly turning into Hublot with their meme limited editions, too.

the royal oak is also nauseatingly ugly

Audemars Nigguet has made their bed. Now they can lie in it. As far as I am considering concerned they should no longer be considered on the level of Patek, VC, ALS or JLC.

Fortis is fine, they have nothing special going for them but if you like a design they're not bad watches.

That is not normal. It should run withing about + or - 10 seconds a day, so one minute a week would be reasonable, but not 3. It's either magnetized or needs to be regulated. Any decent independent watchmaker should be able to do both.

Fortis are just another brand shoving ETA movements into outsourced cases. Only consider if the price is very good.

Please help me Sup Forums I'm a tasteless cunt and I need some help

My cousin is a huuuge weeb, and his birthday is coming up, his 21st as it happens, I've been thinking about getting him a jap watch of some kind, preferably with jap numerals. What would be something reasonably tasteful?

>& also the huge amount of fakes floating around)
There are that many fakes in Kuwait?
I would have assumed that fakes wouldn't really be a thing in those oil rich arab countries.
>I blame hip hop & those rich instagram fag kids for ruining the brand. AP is slowly turning into Hublot with their meme limited editions, too.
This is a worry; they're already a one trick pony and pretty much all their other stuff is boring ass shit.

But I guess at least it had something, one thing that was iconic, even if they've milked that dry so hard that the nipple's inverted and now actively sucking IN milk.

Out of the old swiss trinity, VC as a brand as a whole just hasn't got that iconic thing that makes them them. Sure they have some nice pieces, and I keep looking at their patrimony traditionelle (rose gold, small seconds at 6) for a nice hand wound dress watch because not only does it just look nicer than the equivalent patek, but the movement's technically better too and not tiny itsy bitsy (PP 5196's 215 girly girl movement).

But the fact that they're owned by the Richemont, the great whore, really puts me off.

At least AP and PP are still "independent", for what it's worth. And at least I wouldn't have to subject myself to the arduous process that is richemont "service". They like selling you new shit but don't like maintaining the old.

They cheapout in most countries and have one (fucking one) service center that handles all their brands, sending off complicated pieces to switzerland.

I don't like that. Puts me off the other obvious contender, Lange, as well, though there seem to be far fewer horror stories.

Decisions, decisions.

>tfw you post a picture of your watch and realize you didn't wipe it down first

Budget?

They don't use Japanese numbers on watches generally. I mean, they know arabic numerals, I believe they use them for math like pretty much everyone in the world.

They'll use day Kanji though.

EVA gshock is the only choice

> I would have assumed that fakes wouldn't really be a thing in those oil rich arab countries.
That is the case ONLY in Qatar (very small population and most of them are stupid = pay a lot for doing almost nothing).
The only people who are rich because of oil money in my country are the people who literally steal oil/oil money (i.e. very high-ranking families & some individuals from the royal family). Otherwise, the population is pretty much like any other country.
But Kuwaitis like to stunt a lot. You see the streets full of Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Porche cars. How is that possible? Most people take out loans to buy this expensive shit.

Anyway, I don't care much about the servicing since I intend on selling the watch in a few years and buying something else.

is that the skx007 or 013?

~$500AUD, but I could probably convince some relatives to pitch in up to $1500AUD

Yeah I did some quick googling and found that out, I mean they definitely exist but seem a bit rare. Open to simply japanese makers if the price range is a bit restrictive of course.

Holy shit that's gaudy, but he'd probably actually like it... I'll definitely keep that in mind.

looks like a 007 based on the proportions of the watch.

pepsi dial is so much better imo