My dad was gonna throw his old laptop away, I decided to keep it.. Maybe mess around with it, do some projects...

My dad was gonna throw his old laptop away, I decided to keep it.. Maybe mess around with it, do some projects. It's got a decent video card, 8gb of ram, 1080p

At the same time, it's on its last metaphorical legs, really. Battery can barely hold a charge, two of the keys aren't working and neither is the internal WiFi card nor the DVD drive.

What do, Sup Forums?

Install gentoo on it!

go to a nearby computer store and get it fixed, I don't know how people can be heartless enough to throw away computers that served you for years

worse than scum in my eyes

>holding onto old broken shit
>muh sentimental value

Because laptops are disposable items, not worth desperately clinging on to ancient technology just because it worked in the past

I was thinking of doing that and perhaps selling it off but am not sure whether it'd be worth the effort and the money cause I'd have to replace the keyboard (keys E and G aren't working), the battery (if I unplug the cable, it shuts off), the DVD drive and the WiFi card.

I have my trusty x220 for college and work use.. this bulky thing is nowhere near "portable" but I'd like to put it to use nonetheless.

None of that is very difficult or expensive to replace. If you're too lazy to even fix that up, just toss it.

Buy a new keyboard and replace wifi chip. Fuck the battery and DVD drive.

Replace the network card (ez enough) then SSH-ify it, network security practice or account control using Sup Forums as a test group (giving out public Ssh accounts)

strip it down and turn it into a headless server.

>battery
>around 50€ on duracell direct
don't be a cheap fuck and don't get a Chinese one

>2 keys aren't working
>around 20€ for a new keyboard

>WiFi card
>I don't know the price but those are generic so cheap

>another 60€ for an ssd

And here your new computer, if it has a 1080p screen it can't be bad

These are all non-issues that can be readily fixed, with a chink battery costing near to nothing, keyboard being piss-easy to replace with a new one, same with wireless card find a second hand one and pop it in, and who gives a fuck about the dvd drive anyway.

Use it as a HTPC. Did a same with an aging Chinknovo laptop that started falling apart.

why do peopel buy chinknovo shit in the first place

It was cheap and had a quad Core i7.

create NAS or TOR bridge

in Serbia this shit costs 270-350€

Then buy on internet, do you have severe import taxes?

>tfw my main machine is an n53
To be fair it still more than adequate with 16GB of RAM and an SSD.

I've already got a $100 android chinkbox as an
HTPC.

God damn, eurofags have it bad. The battery and keyboard would cost me around $50 here in SEA.

I was thinking of setting up an SSH file server but don't have any practical uses in mind yet. Cheers

Apart from its inert portability, I think it's a great laptop. It ran pretty fucking well for the first year or two. Then it started falling apart. But yeah, I think with an SSD and a few fixes here and there, it could be brought back to life.

Use it as a server, or get those issues fixed.

>battery
stop using the laptop like a portable machine
>wifi card
use a lan cable
>two keys
create a macro to enter those keys
>DVD drive
replace it with a drive caddy.

so you're just spending money on a drive caddy and a new 2.5" drive (HDD or SSD) depending on whether you want storage or speed.

>Broken

There are children of the age of 5 with better reading comprehension than you.

their are babys who aren't as dumb as u

>their
Irony.

if your just going to be dumb then dont even reply

>your
Are you deliberately making this easy?