/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/gfGCVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/d8kMd6
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-10#kf
youtube.com/watch?v=cLj0kDHl-_I
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/W7XnJV
youtube.com/watch?v=G80uG3acg44
ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/9fQJHN
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How's this build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/gfGCVY

Willing to pay more. Looking at $2500-$3000 as long as that includes a great Gsync IPS monitor since I'll be staring at it for like 14 hours a day

>How's this build pcpartpicker.com/list/gfGCVY
Looks good, but the nvme ssd looks overkill. Do you really need the additional speed it provides over a regular SSD? NVMe ssd are more for content creators that want the highest speed possible access to their medias, for gamers there is really 0 difference, and a regular SSD cost much less
Also, for 165hz, a 7700k is the only CPU that would be able to hit this framerate, so consider getting it instead of a Ryzen. But if you're fine with 120 ~ 140ish FPS, then no need to.

Why /pcbg/ shilling Ryzen so hard? In most tests I saw so far both 7700 non-K and 7600K were better than Ryzen 1600.

>amd-ryzen-pc.jpg
>socket 1150

wait a minute

Different cpu offer different performances, if a CPU has 3% more fps but is at 80+% usage while doing so while the other is at 55 ~ 60%, the second is more worth
It really depends on what you need and want, though. So sometimes Ryzen is better suited, sometimes intel is better suited.

THIS IS THE REAL THREAD

Whether you're a Ryzen shill or not, go onto the real thread-- you're not allowed to make duplicate generals. Stop whining.

Not all M.2 are NVME.

That Crucial is basically just like any other 2.5" SATA SSD except that it has an M.2 connector so you don't need to fuck around with mounting/cables in your case.

What mobo should i get with the 7700k?

>In most tests I saw so far both 7700 non-K and 7600K were better than Ryzen 1600.
wow 5 more fps in exchange for having to close everything but your game

Oh, right

Something like an Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX that is good for oc (7700k is clocked very high) and that also has an M.2 slot for your ssd
Also, you're gonna need a good cooler because the performance comes at a temperature price. Something like a $60 Noctua NH-U12S or better will do good.

How's my 10GBASE-T and 802.11bz-capable NAS looking?
pcpartpicker.com/list/d8kMd6
>6x 1TB in RAID-Z1 for booting VMs and local machines off the network
>1TB M.2 as both L2ARC and iSCSI game drive
>2 5TB X300 as two separate back-ups for the entire SSD array
>4x 8TB NAS drives in RAID-Z1 for a 24TB pool to store large files and back up of all VMs and local machines (no L2ARC for this array)
The motherboard I'm waiting for is a 4-core or 8-core Denverton SoC that will have up to 4 10GB NICs in the SoC (802.11bz support for at least two of those NICs) and M.2 support. The HBA adapter is all I really need, since ZFS doesn't play that well with hardware RAID.

Because Ryzen has much better price/performance overall, the the scenarios where the Intel chips beat Ryzen are usually within a tight enough margin that no one would notice in real world usage (like going from 60 to 65fps, or 180 to 240 fps), whereas the scenarios where Ryzen beats Intel is much more significant.

Not to mention that the early reputation for Ryzen with day1 benchmarks was substantially overturned with updates that followed and performance between R5/R7 and i5/i7 is extremely competitive.

No one should realistically argue that buying an i5 or i7 is going to result in a slow or shitty system, but Ryzen is simply a better bargain in most situations. This is strongly influenced by the fact that the R5 1600 in particular is amazing value - there's very little recommendation for the other Ryzen chips.

hey anons should I buy this
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-10#kf

Ahhh, I'll need to switch everything over to ATX then. I'll update my build and post it again.

Gaming 3 is pretty good if it meets you needs.

thoughts?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Processor
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
Motherboard: MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium Motherboard
Case: Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass
Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus 120mm LED RGB 16.8M Radiator Fans
CPU Waterblock: Thermaltake Pacific W4 RGB
Coolant: Thermaltake C1000 Opaque Red
Liquid Cooling: Thermaltake D5 Pump with Silencer Kit
Radiator: Thermaltake Pacific RL360 Radiator
RAM: HyperX DDR4 Memory
SSD: HyperX 240GB 2.5" SSD

also whats a good monitor for around 200 that'll work well with this?

NIGGA CALM DOWN WITH THE R7 1800X
Like, jesus dude, you have a fucking RX 480.
x370? Why? Liquid cooling? We all know Ryzen overclocks like shit.

R7 1700 or R5 1600 with B350 is best option.
Don't bother using liquid cooling for Ryzen, its overclocking is a meme.

>there's very little recommendation for the other Ryzen chips.
So, 1700x purely for gaming in 1080p over 7700k is a bad idea?
Also, I am kind of afraid that intel's new cpus might offer the performance of 7700k with more cores. Is it realistic?

Even non-K 7700 better than top Ryzen for gaming.
youtube.com/watch?v=cLj0kDHl-_I

Go away shlomo

>tfw you played the wait game for years now in hopes of cheaper hardware
>ssds are now more expensive
>ram is now more expensive

fuck

>le 3 fps margin meme
see

>GAYMEN
no
one
cares
this
is
Sup Forums

How does this build look for 1080pfor a 144hz monitor?

Im undecided on the case

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/W7XnJV

Purpose?
Anyway, that doesn't seem like a really thought of build.
A Ryzen R7 1700 can reach clocks very very close (within 200mhz at worst) to the 1800x, but can do it much cheaper. Other than that, there is no difference between the cpu.
The liquid cooler is kinda overkill, because Ryzen cpus cannot go above 4.1GHz. They can do fine up to 4.1, but then they hit an enormous voltage wall that not even the best water coolers can handle (only LN2 cooling can), so there is very little chance this watercooler is needed. Granted, you could still use it for your next processor upgrade, but a $60 ~ $80 air cooler that doesn't require maintenance and will last longer while still cooling the cpu very very well seems like a wiser choice to me.

That motherboard also is overkill. Xfire and SLI support, two protected PCIex16 for dual GPU, 5x 3.1 rear + 6x front, etc etc. Unless you are actually interested in the features it provides, there is no reason not to pick at least a $160 one.

With the money saved on both, you could get a GTX 1070 & 1440p / 144hz screen

>So, 1700x purely for gaming in 1080p over 7700k is a bad idea?
It's not necessarily bad, but the 7700k wins in gaming. R7 1700 is an 8 core cpu so it's more for people that do a lot of multitasking, that do video encoding, streaming, recording, etc etc. For straight up gaming and nothing and nothing else at all, the 7700k is a much better choice.

>Also, I am kind of afraid that intel's new cpus might offer the performance of 7700k with more cores. Is it realistic?
No, it would heat way too much and use way too much power. The 7700k already heats an enormous amount, they can't do anything with 6 cores or more clocked like it.

This is the lowest clocked R7 (3.0 to 3.7GHz) and yet it's so close, that's pretty damn good.

It's overclocked to 3.9GHz in the video.

Repostan: Any big difference between a 240 and a 280? My case supports 280, but seems the 240s are a hell of a lot cheaper.

>i7

yea you fucked up

whats a good budget monitor for the pc?

That worked, thank you.

You'd have to drop a few settings to reach 144hz on an Rx 580

My man, picking the most overkill parts possible and then asking advices for a budget monitor... you're quite strange
Considering the amd card, the cheapest 1080p freesync one you can get is like $125, unless you think that's too high or something there's non freesync ones for $110, that is on pcpartpicker. What's your country?

get a Kaby i5 and a bigger cooler or a gtx 1070 instead. i7 for gaming only is a waste of money if you haven't maxed out your GPU budget.

if you had to choose, which would you upgrade first - 4gb ram or 430W psu? both of which are on the minimum for my PC build? just curious, it was my first build. My cpu is amd fx8350 and my GPU is pny gtx 750. stock fans that came with my case and cpu

>get a Kaby i5
He wants 144 fps, not 110

I'd upgrade the ram first because psu is somewhat fine, but really if you're gonna spend money on pc parts it'd be much worth to avoid spending it on parts that aren't gonna be much useful pretty soon. DDR3 is not used anymore in any new cpu and motherboard release, so you'd end up using money for something that you wouldn't even be able to use in your future build (which you are oging to need considering yours is quite obsolete)

Strictly for gaming, with current hardware and current software there is no reason to buy anything more expensive than a R5 1600, as the difference from stepping up to any of the higher chips will not result in any subjective improvement in gameplay.

As a general rule of thumb, a difference less than around 25% between setups will not be noticeable other than placebo. Meaning if you're comparing a system that costs $600 and gets 60fps to a system that costs $1200 and gets 66fps (10% improvement), you won't even notice the difference. Shills and people with post-purchase rationalization love benchmarks because they can quantify differences which are otherwise imperceptible.

In my view buying the top-end (in this case, R7 or i7) has never been a good economical decision in the last 20 years. The reason is that pricing of top-end products is usually around 100% more expensive than mid-range, while offering only marginal improvements in performance. This means that for equal cost, you could afford to replace a mid-range system twice as often as a top-end system. You can keep a $600 mid-range system for 3 years at $200/yr, or a top-end system for $1200 for 6 years at $200/yr. The way hardware advances, a mid-range build every 3 years will consistently provide better performance than a top-end build every 6 years.

The only reason to buy top-end is if your specific use case immediately requires the performance that only the top-end can provide.

If you're buying for the future, a mid-range build can be reasonably expected to last a couple years because software design will be more stable during that time. Projecting further than that become much harder, which makes a top-end more of a gamble as significant changes in software and hardware can occur over the life of such a PC.

>i5
>babby lake
SHILL DETECTED

>In my view buying the top-end (in this case, R7 or i7) has never been a good economical decision in the last 20 years. The reason is that pricing of top-end products is usually around 100% more expensive than mid-range, while offering only marginal improvements in performance.
Meh, the price difference between the R7 1700 and R5 1600x is pretty small, $325 for an 8 cores cpu is pretty great

>Oy vey goyim i5 is bad but you know whats better? a 7700k cuck edition pls buy it

>>>/gaschambers/

If you're in to spend money for a 144 fps build it'd be pretty annoying to not be able to reach those 144fps

or Ryzen is fine too. My point was the i7 was not a wise purchase. Better to invest that extra $100 back into the graphics card for a MUCH bigger performance boost. Though that would lock user out of Freesync, which is a really nice feature. And G-sync is overpriced bollocks.
Kaby is just overclocked skylake. It's like $10 more for another 300-400mhz after overclocking. Buying skylake new doesn't make sense.

>Trust me goyim you need a i7 to get 144 fps in team autism 3

t. 4790k user who is fucking sick of stuttering

I am asking here because I got no response in the sqt.

A glass of water went directly into the fan outlet on the top of my case. I removed all plugs and both case panels, then dried everything for about 40 mins.

I attempted to boot but I only get to the BIOS before it automatically shuts down and restarts.

What do? How fucked am I?

ur dumb

>40 minutes
You fucked up. Overnight nigga. preferably near a heater.

disassemble everything and spend more time drying it, using an hair dryer or something.
I'm fairly sure hard drives should be fine, maybe cpu too, but you sound very fucked so don't expect anything to work

Outside of horrifically bad chips a 1700 at 3.9 sips voltage.

Where do you think i can find an AM1 APU for under 20$ including the heatsink and free shipping?
Ebay is very limited, Amazon is currently in a "suggested price is high but whatever" kind of thing, and local stuff yeilds no results.

I picked up an ECS Kam1-I mobo for 10$ new from newegg with a few promo codes and shit, its proven reliable in my sisters athlon box, so id like to make my own. Hers is a 5350 and a 750ti, i only have a gt 710 so i couldnt care less if its the weakest AM1 apu on earth but i'd like to get the build together and done

On the list ive got
>The ECS Mobo
>Seasonic 350w PSU
>8gb of Corsair vengance LP ddr3
>EVGA Gt170
>tim, little mounts, a bit of plywood, etc
which means i need
>AM1 APU
>storage
For under 60$ total

I can grab a 160fb hdd used online for 10$ at any time, so its the least important bit here.
Ive only got 20$ in my paypal until my other sales clear but id like to get the processor around the same time i get the mobo so i dont have shit just lying around too long.
Its going to be mounted on a custom wood case, and not a shit one either, i intend to paint everything and make it look really nice.

This is more of just a hobby project to see what i can do with 100$

what cooler?

Sure, comparing the 1600x to 1700 isn't that much of a jump. But no one buys the 1600x because the 1600 is so close in performance and again, much better value.

Ignoring the 1600x, the 1600 to 1700 is still a reasonable upgrade in some cases, adding 50% to the cost for 33% more cores/threads, and for people that are doing highly threaded productivity, the 1700 absolutely becomes the sweet-spot.

However for the average desktop user, R7 just doesn't provide value, and when talking gaming it doesn't provide the benefit to justify that 50% jump. If you exclude gaming, the needs of the average desktop user have barely changed in the last 15+ years, so it has mostly been a matter of keeping up with software/OS bloat which even a 2/4 or 4/4 cpu is more than capable of handling.

so long as it isnt (((intel)))

>when you're trying to find a AM4 compatible CPU cooler and none of them have it standard

I'm about ready to just get a 1600 and be done with it.

usa bby

just do that mate, you can always find a cooler later on once you got everything set up already.

user already plugged it back in and powered it while something still could have been wet. Damage already could have been done.
You have an extremely specific requirement with an extremely niche amount of people who might know anything about it. Sounds like you have to do your own digging. I'd look for old pre-builts that are "parts" or "doesn't boot" but really, I'd say increase your budget to find more available parts or keep looking.

Thanks for explanation, man. I see what you are saying but both i7 and R7 are in my budget and it is not a problem for me to take them, so I want to go with higher model and thus the question is 1700x or 7700k.
There is a lot of negativity about amd in the internet but Ryzen seems like a great cpu, and my choice has become pretty tough...

also im in the 200 to 300 range for a monitor

Silver arrow. It is in the same sort of performance class as the D15, R1 ultimate and whatnot.

just get a bracket for it, most manufacturers sell one

hey guys im about to buy an am4 mobo for ryzen. is ASRock AB350 Pro4 ATX still worth while?

I'll do what he said anyway.
What a shitty way to wake up. Some asshole was ringing my doorbell early in the morning and I stumbled out of bed, knocking the water over. He had the wrong place.

You waited for years to save what, like $40-50? Are you dirt friggin starving poor? Even when I made minimum wage I metaphorically wiped my ass with $40.

Do any of these Ryzen 1600 mobos run ram at 3200?

I've looked at 3 and all of them have have people saying they're stuck significantly lower.

When is rx 560 launching? Any thoughts on if it will finally compete with 1050ti?

>Do any of these Ryzen 1600 mobos run ram at 3200?

What cpu it is is irrelevant. There are only a few boards that support 3200mhz (fun fact: anything over 2133mhz for Intel and 2666mhz for ryzen is technically considered overclocked) and of those boards it depends on what ram you get. This is why Qualified Vendor Lists exist.

That said the may AGESA is supposed to be all about fixing ram compatability.

Hitting 3200 is hard right now, yes. Vary on the kit, motherboard, and even then it's not certain you'll hti the same clocks as other people.

g.skill made a kit of ram 'flare x' marketed to be specifically ryzen compatible. Youtuber Paul's Hardware got it to run at 3200mhz but he used an x370 mobo so your mileage may vary.
For reference :youtube.com/watch?v=G80uG3acg44

the 570/470 already does

>for ryzen
for intel too

my ax370 gaming 5 w/1600 runs 32gb (4x8) at 2933. sold as ddr4-3000

>intel
nice joke user

Nyet comrade.

ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

>Memory Types
DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

so anything over 2400 is oc then

Depending on channels but yes. Guess what motherfucker, OC isn't covered by your warranty!

Would a 1050 ti be better over a rx 460 for a budget build ?

Is intel actually better than Ryzen for 144hz 1440p?

Intel is better than ryzen for high (144hz) framerates, but that's for i7 only

get an rx 470/570 and shave off another $10-15 somewhere else. 1050ti is in a very poor price-performance bracket. IMO the only time a 1050ti makes sense is upgrading a pre-built with a dinky power supply.

doesn't matter get a 470 instead

no thats a meme

Joking aside it is something that Sup Forums often forgets when it comes to the claim that Intel chips support faster ram - they technically don't. XMP exists for Intel to say they work with fast ram but without them having to actually validate it. Same thing for ryzen and anything over 2666mhz.

A 1050ti is 115usd an 470 is 170usd. 10-15usd is not going to cut it.

Here 1050 ti it's 40€ cheaper ( 160 € vs 200 € for a rx 470 )
Would it still be a good choice ?

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/9fQJHN

ROAST ME

I'm split between:

Asus X370 Prime Pro (166€)
VS
Asrock X370 Taichi (257€)

I don't really need Wi-fi nor the extra features of the Taichi, but I plan to OC my 1600X as high as possible and I'll be using 3200Mhz RAM.

tl;dr
Is the Taichi really worth 90€ more than the Prime Pro?

Why does the OP recommend against blower style GPUs?

Should I buy the 7700k then? What's the recommended intel mobo? Is Gigabyte still the best?

what is a good mother board for ryzen? (≤110)

For ocing currently even a $100 b350 is fine because current ryzen cpu can't go to clocks high enough where a high end mobo would actually matter
but heh if you want your build to last extremely long and intend to upgrade your cpu in 2 or 3 years the taichi might not be a bad idea

cuz they are hotter & louder than usual 2-3 fan gpus

My mistake. Last time I checked, the 1050ti was about $140-145 usd for the cheapest cards. I'm seeing a rx 460 for $89 usd plus a $20 rebate. If you're extreme budget, I would choose that. I think I need more context though. Do you have a pcpartpicker list (preferably in your region)? Or even just a list of stuff you already have picked out.

hot, loud, usually lower clocks. They make sense in cases with extremely little airflow, that's about it.

If I can't get a hold of an intel CPU more affordable than i3 is there any reason not to go AMD?

Only buy x370 for overkill vrms and the extra I/O the chipset provides.

no, intel is best in lower end right now. Might change with the R3 cpus (4c4t for i3 prices) but no one knows when they will release

I'm budget, think I could spend the extra cash for a 1050 ti if it's faster than the rx 460 ( 100 € for the 460 here, vs 160 € for the 1050 ti .
Don't have pcpartpicker list because I will be using an old spare asrock extreme 3 gen 3 + i5 2500k ( pref oc @ something around 4 GHz ?) & 8 GB RAM. Thanks for the help user

Why not just buy a r7 1700? Spending an extra shitload of money to overclock a 6-core vs having more reasonable parts and an 8-core sounds much better to me. Overclocking on ryzen provides extremely disappointing results btw.

repost from the last thread.

I was planning on getting a i7 7700k + 1080ti, but the games I want to play don't require anything even close.

I was thinking about downgrading to the i5 7600k + 1060 6GB, and spend the rest on games I plan to play.

could use some opinions on this
inb4 ryzen

youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
muh ryzen