/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-14-HD-1600x900-i5-4300M-8GB-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-730M-500GB-/361966401298?hash=item5446e0f712:g:dtwAAOSwuLZY6Wwv
xiphmont.livejournal.com/70560.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

S T I N K P A D
T
I
N
K
P
A
D

Anyone recognise this interface and know how to get rid of it? It just randomly installed itself on my StinkPad.

Hardmodded T430 maximum comfy.

>3840QM
>16GB DDR3L
>Classic Keyboard + EC Flash
>a/c WLAN Card + BIOS Flash
>Modified Heatsink

2K display mod Soon™

>i7 inside
>i5 sticker

Know where I can buy an i7 sticker?

Guys my T470 has arrived

Turn off the hotkey service or kill TPONSCR.exe

gb2leddit

>stickers
pic related

Go buy an i7 then RMA at.

our condolences.

Since I apparently posted in a dead thread, gonna ask again.

Should I trade my Asus Eee PC 1201HA with broken keyboard and a terribly repaired charger for a beaten up Thinkpad X41 with no stylus, battery and a charger?

On one side, X41 is super outdated (Pentium M), comes with basic Intel graphic accelerator, non-expandable RAM over 2GBs and is probably gonna burst into flames if I try to watch a HD video on it.

But on the other side, it's a thinkpad, I can use a wacom stylus with it, and the Eee PC has terrible Linux support because of Nvidia Ion graphics

>removing stickers

do eet faget

X41t is kawaii-desu

>not removing them after unboxing

>being able to tell the previous owner of your used stinkpad to romove the stickers 7 years ago

Should I cop?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-14-HD-1600x900-i5-4300M-8GB-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-730M-500GB-/361966401298?hash=item5446e0f712:g:dtwAAOSwuLZY6Wwv

Probably gonna replace the screen and trackpad anyway.

>coworker is giving me a desktop chassis
>gonna build a mild gaymer rig
>also on the hunt for a w530

The winds of change are blowing

I wouldn't recommend it desu
mine was in for warranty repairs multiple times

Keys will literally start falling out, the USB ports are super fragile and overall it feels super cheap

Anything better you could recommend?

I have a T420, but the screen really bothers me.

who /bentium m/

To be honest, I'd recommend to go for Dell Latitudes if you want something newer
They might not have a good aesthetic factor, but they will not break down after two years of use and are not fully plastic
Don't go for HP Elitebooks, they're bitch to service

Centrino 6205 was a mistake

T430(s), T530, T450s with the 1600x900 display. Don't even think about buying a **40 model.

what network manager is that? wicd?

unless it's a T440p and you're willing to swap the touchpad**

The **40 models are where the screens start not sucking terribly, so if you care about your display that much you'll probably want a T440p.

I'm just straight up editing wpa_supplicant.conf at the moment. Kind of a joke that fREEEEEEEEbsd doesn't really have a more or less official GUI network manager.

Wait so how did you get the network indicator in the panel with wpa_supplicant

I'm going to swap the Touchpad and Screen, but I want something that actually has screen upgradability unlike my T420 atm.

Then you either want the T440p or wait months to years before some FHD mod kits come around, and then hope you're actually able to buy one.

why don't you just use linux?
if it's because pentium M doesn't have nx bit or PAE, you can compile your own linux kernel with those flags turned off

I think I'll just get a T440p then. Thanks for the help.

Will post pics in a few weeks when it comes in.

>Will post pics in a few weeks when it comes in.
Please don't.

How expensive is it to upgrade the screen of a T530 to 1080p? Doesn't matter of it's the anti-glare TN "shit" o the IPS screen.

Who shit in your cheerios?

Don't tell me what to do.

Just for that I'm ordering a pair of knee high socks.

T420 coming in few days.
Switching from hhd and 4gb RAM to 256gb SSD and 8gb RAM

H Y P E
Y
P
E

Let me know a couple of days before you're due to get it so I can filter /tpg/ for the next week after that.

SSD makes the t420 feel like a new machine

Is there like a secret club out there where you get much better deals for Thinkpads? Like a wholesaler warehouse or some shit. I feel like a pleb looking for public torrents, here.

No, but you have to know how to search.

My favorite thing to look for is ThinkPads with no hard drives, or with really shitty displays/processors, because normies aren't willing to swap anything out and some are even too lazy to just put in a hard drive.

If you aren't willing to mod or repair/replace parts in one, you're SoL normie.

I've always bought my thinkpads from ebay.
You don't have to buy the first one you see, look for a good price.

Either eBay, Craigslist or of you work at a office you might be lucky and be able to sneak out an old ThinkPad/Latitude/EliteBook/whatever from a pile in the back or something.

A friend of mine found his T61p while he was dumping the trash. Cleaned it, booted it and called it a day. Works wonders for him, too.

You just have to be patient, and when you see a good deal, lunge towards it. It's like a sport in itself, and sometimes you just need a bit of luck.

>they're bitch to service
what did he mean by this?

My T420

Maybe he refers to the regular consumer line (AKA Pavilions).
Both ProBooks and EliteBooks are easier to service than the standard run-of-the-mill Crapilions

At least the ones I tried to repair, which were way more older than that
It used goddamn hex screws

How to remove computrace?

why /tpg/ hates elitebooks?
They're literally superior towars chinkpads.
Daily reminder:
HP 2560p >>>>> x220
HP 2570p >>>>> x230
>both are 12,5"
>both support socketed quad core CPUs
>both got additional DVD bay which can be used to mount 2nd 2,5" drive without sacrificing WWAN port
>both support thinkpad trackpoint sticks
>both are cheaper, better build (metal palmrest, metal screen case)
>100Wh 9cell battery options

probooks and elitebooks allows you to access all removable components via single switch (and screw, if it's secured).
If you need to access something more then indeed you have to unscrew hex screws. So the fuck what? You know you can just use a flat driver for this, right?
pavilions are cancer-tier shit. Anyone who buys one deserves whatever happens to it.

Call in and tell them the previous owner forgot to disable it.
Tell them where you bought it too.
Best of luck, though, because if you bought a stolen one they'll brick it and force you to give it back.

I don't inherently hate Pro/EliteBooks, but I found this T530 for a little bit more and it has a dGPU and a i7.

>ywn find similar deals on thinkpad like muricans find them on dumpster, just asking to get picked up.

Really concerned, whether or not I should call my Thinkpad-project off. Everything is fucking costly and makes no fucking sense perfomance wise. It would be easier just use the quantity over quality and buy bunch of cheap shitty computers than even bothering to upgrade a thinkpad.

I'm seriously starting to lose hope.
>T61
2.5GB ram, near impossible to get 8gb ram
I mean, it would cost me 120€ for the 8gb ram, even tho the computer it self cost 70€, 9-cell battery 25€ and HDD caddy 10€
>T30
a fucking costly project (a rabbit hole) because SVP locked. Cost 10€, did not include anything else except the computer with no battery.
>X220
keyboard died and runs hot as fuck (max. fan when CPU 100%, gets 95c). FHD screen is unheard of and sliced batteries are hard to find. I bought this for 260€ for 8gb ram, 9-cell battery and 128gb ssd
>701cs
don't get me even fucking started

Use the lookup tools and wiki in OP and you can gain a significant knowledge advantage over other bidders and sellers. The less a seller knows about a machine, the lower the price and the less interest there'll be. I pulled a 1600x1200 IPS T60p in mint condition for $80 because the seller didn't know what the resolution was, but simply by virtue of being a 15" T60p I knew it had to be at least 1400x1050 IPS, and that was a damn good price even if it turned out to be the lower resolution. Knowledge is the key to good deals.

you're right, actually I meant 2560p/2570p being better than x220/x230 in almost every aspect.
I don't know anything about 15" HP segment.

>What is HP EliteBook 6930p

Like I said, it's just a matter of patience.
If RAM prices are a problem, you could always try a local buy/sell site, or you could try searching for them in either AliExpress or maybe even Gearbest.

They're overall at the same level. They run maybe a bit hotter, but muh 450kg resistance and supposed compliance with military standards might be worth a look.

well desu, I'm talking about usable Sandy Bridge or newer models.
Who gives a shit about older ones?

For basic to moderately demanding activities, the 1st Gen of Core iX and the Core 2 Duo/Quad are still going.
Besides, if you use either loonix or WinXP or lower you get as most performance out of them as you can.

Still, it's nice to have a slightly newer model, I give you that.

...Of course, you would probably blow up your dear T41 trying to watch a video in 1080p or maybe even 720p.

>a fucking costly project (a rabbit hole) because SVP locked.
xiphmont.livejournal.com/70560.html

memes aside, I could do exactly the same for thinkpads and any other laptop brand. Incompetent people bitch about "laptops working bad" without having a clue how to replace thermal compound or clean up the fan.
Please user, do better than this.

Have you considered an egpu rig user? Sweet setup btw

Can you shove a Broadcom Crystal HD 720p/1080p hardware decoder into a T61 and would it actually work?

I want to watch chinese cartoons on it without turning it into a bomb

>Like I said, it's just a matter of patience.

>If RAM prices are a problem, you could always try a local buy/sell site, or you could try searching for them in either AliExpress or maybe even Gearbest.
If this GM965 does not support DDR3 then I'm fucking screwed.
ps. That ram estimate is from aliexpress, also goybeast haves a shitty offering holy shit, not a single relevant result with "ddr2"
I do hope that this works, because I would be required to make the order now because it takes +30 days to get the equipment. But then again T30 has a design flaw.
Also, doesn't this method have the risk to make it a paperweight if you fuck it up?

>Also, doesn't this method have the risk to make it a paperweight if you fuck it up?
Opening the machine at all has as much risk. I've used the technique about 100 times and never bricked a machine.

Ty user

I thought about it but I'd like a dedicated box for gaming/media server

/tpg/ is not comprised purely of people looking for cheap but good laptops. There are plenty of cultists around who are interested in older machines for various niche reasons.

Elitebooks are valid alternatives to Thinkpads for the former group. They don't really have much appeal for the latter, and the consistently arrogant behavior of Elitebook fans here doesn't really do them any favors. The Dell guys I've seen in this general have mostly been agreeable, respectful people despite differing tastes, so why do you have to post in such an aggressive manner? It's really not necessary and just incites more aggressive, lower quality replies. Nobody wants to see a couple of faggots shitposting cherrypicked collages complete with meme frogs back and forth.

looking for suggestions for my first, t420 t430 or t530?

Oh that's a battery indicator user.

I use GNU/Linux when I want to get shit done, and FreeBSD when I want to fuck around with a *nix OS that is largely stuck in the 90s for fun and experience, and to shitpost on Sup Forums with to pretend as thought I actually use it. And I know, Ubuntu just works somehow without having to specify flags, and Debian, which I have installed has a precompiled no-pae version.

No secret sauce user. Just ebay, and some time to hunt for good deals, but there are some buy it nows that aren't horrible if you don't want to hunt. You can try thrift shops, some of which have online bidding. Craigslist if you want to get robbed and assraped by an HIV+ meth addict. If you're looking for a nu-thinkpad, then check out lenovo's outlet.

Is it strictly necessary to solder two wires to the EEPROM or a metallic object between the pins (in the case of SDA and SCL pins) will suffice?

It's provocative on purpose. To get attention.
But I wouldn't call it aggressive. I didn't call thinkpad users fags or retards for using "inferior" machines.
I got multiple thinkpads myself, so I'm not blind to the fact that thinkpads are better in some aspects (thinknav for example)

What are some good frankenpads that can run modern linux?

T420/T430 for a bit more of portability, T530 for power.

All of them? Only the newest Thinkpads tend to have slight gotchas before drivers and patches are written for them.

Does anyone here have the small battery on his x220? How much battery time do you get?

I have the big 7k mAh battery on it. Been thinking about buying the smaller one, just to get muh x220 a little ligther and smaller.

Thoughts?

Do the math you fucking retard, you don't even need to ask, it's going to be a linear decrease.

please don't be #rude

what do he mean by this?
>small battery

What modern chinkpad should I upgrade my T530 to?

oh damn, didn't even realize that I posted the wrong pic.
I meant a 4400mAh battery. Size of the original one.

I did and they said the service is not active(says enabled in bios) but they won't remove it. I'll just keep trying I guess

Keep at it. They'll give in after a few calls.

Someone please tell this guy this is not a small battery. It's the medium one.
Small battery is 3cell 29Wh. Medium is 6cell 66Wh. Big one is 9cell 93Wh.
But these values are only valid for genuine batteries. Chink trash capacity varies from 50 to 75% of genuine values. Not to mention gooks usually lie about already lowered capacity, which in reality is even smaller.

>Craigslist if you want to get robbed and assraped by an HIV+ meth addict.

Brutal.

>3 cell
4 cell actually. It's not 18650 powered like the 6cell and 9cell ones.

T460

My T520 has the battery that says "55+" on it. Is it a shitter battery?

what did they mean by this?

this i own hp2570p, ssd+hdd, tough build
tlp works nice, so i don't have high temps, on winblows sometimes is loud. i5
why did you highlight 6cell?
on 9 cell i have easly 9-12 hours of normal usage, even on linux with tlp

How new of a thinkpad do I need to buy if I want one without PWM?

please don't be stupid

What are some good thinkpads for word processing/can run modern (debian jessie and younger) linux for relatively cheap? (300 dollars max)

Budget: 300 at max, not including upgrades
Size: medium to small
Performance: will be used for word processing and coding, so low to medium.
Other: must have sonewhat modern architecture and able to run modern linux. Also durable.

literally anything in the last decade

I don't think any battery is "shittier" than the other.

Just a trade-off between size/weight and capacity.

>Is it strictly necessary to solder two wires to the EEPROM or a metallic object between the pins (in the case of SDA and SCL pins) will suffice?
It explicitly says just shorting is fine.

it also says SDA and SDL won't work. it tells you what pins to use.

Ryzen based thinkpad classic when?

When the crazy Chinese guys make one.

Yeah, I'll go at it again on monday

is a t420 keyboard spill proof?

KDE is pretty fucking amazing now that it's stable.
I'm usually a MATEfag (if you couldn't already tell) but a ~300mb ram difference is so worth it considering all the shit you get with plasma 5.

Also r8 my desktop. Only "mods" I have on this machine is new paste and an HDD instead of the optical drive