Is windows 10 bad for programming and development?

Is windows 10 bad for programming and development?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2016#technology-desktop-operating-system
stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2016#technology-development-environments
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. Absolute cancer. The operating system is openly hostile to programmers and developers.

Visual Studio is trash. .NET is trash. Windows is trash. Unix for life, fuck winfags

/thread

Works really well for me and I've had no issues with it yet

A very cute girl

Found the web developer.

Programming is far easier on an unix-like operating system, especially one with a good package manager

Or Java

cute girl do you have more cute girls

Found the brainlet who thinks you have to develop on your desktop

Windows is the only OS you can use Visual Studio therefore it's the best OS for development.

>Visual Studio is trash
What?

It's great. Just a little expensive.

No, I don't use linux because I have nothing to hide.

>implying anything is expensive when bittorrent exists

it's trash

yep. you absolutely can't code on windows. if you're learning you're fucked cause windows doesn't let you code sorry. maybe you should download ProgrammerOS, the only OS you can program in. have a good day

>16GB installation if you want more than C# and C++

into the trash it goes

IDE's are for babies, the only thing you should need is a compiler, and a text editor. (And syntax highlighting if you're a semi-pussy)

Windows dominates the development industry, followed by macOS and then linux.

stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2016#technology-desktop-operating-system

Not really. I personally don't like using an IDE, though, which seems to be the only option for Windows(?). I don't write any crazy projects with lots of files, so it feels really stupid creating a project file and other ide file bs, just to do some exercise in pointer arithmetic.

Visual Studio is tied with Notepad++ as the number one development environment.

stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2016#technology-development-environments

Literally just use MinGW, Cygwin, or the Visual Studio standalone compiler.

The biggest problem with any operating system other than Windows is that you can't install Anvil Studio, which is the only MIDI sequencer in the entire world that's free, decent, usable on HiDPI, "just works" regardless of your audio drivers, has integrated playback, and isn't a web app. If you want to make games, you have to make music. And if you don't want to make games, why the fuck are you even a software developer.

this has to be bait

>Visual Studio can't beat a text editor
garbage

>Developing on Linux is about having something to hide
End your fucking life

>implying any IDE can beat a text editor
>not doing all your programming in a text editor
*points at you*
garbage

>If you want to make games, you have to make music
Of all the bait in that post, this is what fucked me up the most. If you're planning to make game music with just MIDI you're a complete fucking idiot. If you can't use another DAW's MIDI sequencer, why the fuck are you in charge of making the music for the game?
>"just works" regardless of your audio drivers
It's a MIDI sequencer. That's it. It has no need for audio drivers because it has no real audio processing. It just throws MIDI commands at your synth, which is likely Windows' standard one in your case.
>integrated playback
No. Integrated "send MIDI commands", maybe, but literally every other MIDI sequencer has it. You're just too stupid to configure them.
And you don't need to be the one who makes the music to make games. If you want to be a software developer fine but fuck off from music, you clearly don't know shit about composing.

>this has to be bait
Nope, not bait. As a matter of fact, I was very happy using Ubuntu 16.04 with Gnome on Surface Pro 3 until just a few hours ago when I tried everything under the sun to get LMMS to not be really really tiny, fucked around with some packages and accidentally rendered my system unable to boot, now I'm moving back to Windows 10. I love ya, Linux, but if I can't make music, sorry, deal breaker. What, am I supposed to make games specifically for computers with no sound cards?

>is windows 10 bad at [x]
This is already a dumb gay "HURR DURR WANGBLOWS 10 SUX GUIZE" plebbit thread. You can program anywhere you have a DE of some kind, that environment can even be fucking notepad.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup doesn't have music. Checkmate, aythetits.

>fucked around with some packages and accidentally rendered my system unable to boot
This is the worst bait ever. It doesn't even deserve a "this is bait" image.
>LMMS
That's literally the worst music sequencer ever. Just use ardour you fucking idiot. It supports ALSA, since you clearly won't be able to get JackD working. But something tells me you want to use piano rolls for some reason instead of recording it through MIDI on your MIDI controller. Do you even actually know anything about music? Because then you should at least be able to use tablatures to compose music (tuxguitar).

>If you're planning to make game music with just MIDI you're a complete fucking idiot.
Actually I was planning on recording it off the sound card one track at a time and post-processing it in Audacity to achieve more sophisticated audio effects and make it not sound like hot sloppy poo.
>If you can't use another DAW's MIDI sequencer,
Pssh, what, and pay MONEY? (pic related)
>It's a MIDI sequencer. That's it. It has no need for audio drivers because it has no real audio processing. It just throws MIDI commands at your synth, which is likely Windows' standard one in your case.
oh
>No. Integrated "send MIDI commands", maybe, but literally every other MIDI sequencer has it. You're just too stupid to configure them.
>And you don't need to be the one who makes the music to make games.
didn't know this
>If you want to be a software developer fine but fuck off from music, you clearly don't know shit about composing.
Actually I know a lot about composing, I just don't know shit about the difference between a synth and a sequencer, which is a completely different and unrelated issue. In fact you don't even need a computer to compose. If I understand correctly now, a synth is to a sequencer as a display manager is to a desktop environment, kind of? Regardless, it's a shame LMMS was designed for use by ants, because other than that, it's great.

I have no clue what any of those things are. I just use jetbrains software.

>Just use ardour you fucking idiot.
I don't money
>But something tells me you want to use piano rolls for some reason instead of recording it through MIDI on your MIDI controller.
>MIDI controller
I don't money
>Do you even actually know anything about music?
ye
>Because then you should at least be able to use tablatures to compose music (tuxguitar).
shit that's a thing?!?

>recording it off the sound card one track at a time and post-processing it in Audacity
Oh god. If you're any indication as to game developer trends in the future, I'll stay the fuck away from OSTs.
>Pssh, what, and pay MONEY? (pic related)
Ardour, you fucking idiot. Literally every Linux distro has it in the repos. You only need to pay for it on Linux, and you're not paying for Ardour, you're paying for the luxury of not having to download VS, configure it, etc etc.
>a synth is to a sequencer as a display manager is to a desktop environment
No, not actually. The synth doesn't need the sequencer in any way, nor viceversa. They just tend to be used together, but the sequencer could just be a sample sequencer and not need any kind of synthesizing, and the synth could be a real time synth, like Yamahas and Casiotones.

>I don't money
It's free on Linux, and free on Windows if you can go through VS's awful configuration setup without killing yourself.
>I don't money
The cost of a cheap Casiotone MT240 + a USB midi adapter (or just using your fucking soundcard if it has a MIDI input) is extremely low.
>>Do you even actually know anything about music?
>ye
>>Because then you should at least be able to use tablatures to compose music (tuxguitar).
>shit that's a thing?!?
Extreme bait. Warning though, Tuxguitar is completely awful on Windows, you'll have a far better time just pirating GuitarPro 6.

>Visual Studio is tied with Notepad++ as the number one development environment
Says more about the users than the programs.

It's good if you're doing windows dev, but a terrible place to start.

install gentoo

>bittorrenting something that's free

unless you're managing a professional team, community is more than enough

YEAH FUCK DA SYSTEM BRO

VS Code sounds more your speed

You don't need a lot for programming but setting up Python on Windows is a pain in the ass compared to most Linux distribution.

There is literally no easy way to compile most languages on Windows. You HAVE to get Visual Studio to do it for you.

No, fuck shitty poorly designed operating systems made by pajeet and endorsed by Sup Forumsfags

*teleports behind you*
*unsheaths katana*
You're done kiddo
*tips fedora*

cute

linux btfo

good meme

MinGW

> Bloated mess that also needs to be paid for is good

FFS stop being a nigger

> The time it took to load

>I enjoy making things more difficult than they need to be

Why are Unix users so toxic?

What's wrong with web development?

... You know, Sup Forums, I'm really getting tired of your personality. Why can't you guys just be honest and down to earth instead of being hipsters?

Snide derision is a cheap substitute for self esteem.