Where the fuck is the innovation in these things? They've looked the same for the past 30 years

Where the fuck is the innovation in these things? They've looked the same for the past 30 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Frigidaire-Window-Mounted-Mini-Compact-Conditioner-Full-Function/dp/B00IYQY1YI
lg-dfs.com/art-cool-gallery.aspx/LA090HVP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You look towards Japan. They have some nice ones.

Try coming up with something then faggot, other than "haha smart air conditioning connected to the internet and with a smartphone app XDDDDDDDDDDD".

Oy, vey!!! It's anotha shoa!!!

Wait until fusion reactors come out.

Why do you care how they look so long as they work well?

Actually they work a lot better than they used to, in terms of energy efficiency.

do they though? It seems all they did was add a feature to shut down after a certain temperature.

I can't find any to buy though, all I can find are those shitty looking American ones.

it doesn't show up in colder temperatures, it just shows up as less energy used for a given amount of cooling. Basically the thing dumps less waste heat out the window for a given amount of heat moved out of the house.

it's easy to miss since air con pretty much inherently uses quite a bit of energy. And as its gotten cheaper people tend to use it more.

Literally just installed a new window unit in my office an hour ago. Old one was several years old and the thermostat never worked well (just a dial, was either full off at "5" even if it was 100F or always constantly on at full blast at "6").

New one has a temperature thermostat and remote, seems to work fine, is turning the peltier off when it reaches the threshold.

The fuck do you guys want out of these except "smartphone connected so it can get hacked and join the botnet all so you can change the AC when you're at work :)"

What really should be innovated on is some way to make them fit better into windows of various types.

I just gave up and caulked the edges in, because I'm not getting fucking bugs in my house.

Japanese ones suck dick

They barely work compared to American units.

>Where the fuck is the innovation in these things?

Central air systems.

>comparing window units and mini splits

They're fine where they are.
When they start talking I'm getting the fuck off this planet.

they use less power and use more environment friendly refrigerant

AC and heating are inherently going to use a lot of power

I mean space heaters are basically the only devices in existence that are literally 100% energy efficient (i.e. every joule you put in will become heat)

AC is just going to be a big power draw because all AC units are Peltier units

It's not like a microelectronics device that can be made more efficient

The most room for improvement on heating and air efficiency in the future will come from better home designs and better insulation.

just open a window you lazy fatass burgerclap

ah yes open a window to 95F heat outside

I guess third world eurotrash is used to living in sub-Saharan African type squalor

If the outside temperature isn't too extreme for it to work you can use reverse-cycle AC to get heat with (seemingly, from your perspective) greater than 100% efficiency. Use energy to pump heat from the colder outside to the warmer inside, against the way it would flow naturally. Then dump the waste heat from the energy you spent inside along with the heat you moved. Bam, more watts of heat in your house than watts of electricity consumed.

You smoke crack, don't you?

>all AC units are Peltier units
Um, no. ACs use condensers, evaporators, compressors etc NOT peltier units.

ACs are actually are very much more efficient in terms of BTUs per watt, 5000 BTU heater draws 1500w while an AC unit of the same BTU only draws 500 watts

>t. Retard (or just american)

>house has central air
>can't just pump air into my room

Life is truly suffering.

This. I would really like one of these units, my room would be much cooler.

Honestly my AC is cold as fuck, but whenever it turns off my room can get a bit warm at times.

If you're hoping for modular cables and RGB lighting then you're looking at the wrong industry, pal

>even hotter outside
>open a window
Great idea.

>all AC units are Peltier units
Almost none are.

Heat pumps have been a thing forever, it's obvious they will be better than space heaters

How much will this set be back?

(you)

Cost delivered, totally ignores capital cost.

It's cheaper!

They've become more and more energy efficient.

pic related was taken from: amazon.com/Frigidaire-Window-Mounted-Mini-Compact-Conditioner-Full-Function/dp/B00IYQY1YI

This baby is able to cool a ~12'x12' room efficiently for only about 3.7kWh a day/450 Wh an hour if used for 8 hours that day. This is assuming you put the thing on full blast with no energy saving features.

A few years ago 5K BTU AC units would eat up to 2kWh an hour so this is a huge improvement in energy efficiency. $13 instead of $55 a month per window AC unit is a huge improvement.

Who the fuck (besides niggers) uses window based AC?

Dude, like any house built in the last 20 years is going to have a heat pump. It's like, standard equipment. They're super affordable these days.

Literally most people. Central cooling is very expensive and only suitable for large homes as they can consume up to 5kWh every hour.

Not like I have any other option in my apartment unless I buy one of those standing ones. Before you rag on me for that no I don't have the million plus dollars it takes to buy a home in this city and I'm not about to move to the suburbs where I could afford the mortgage.

They use a lot less energy now but they're basically all the same except for smart features. Mildly convenient to turn it on 30 minutes before I get home.

they're pretty damn cheap. I bought one for a friend because I would hang out in his room a lot and it would get hot because he had no AC. Got one at a local hardware shop for 100 dollars

hello new york friend

>posting on a tech forum
>believes AC systems are Peltier and not mechanical

AC relies on phase changes to move heat, not electrical properties. AC units could just as easily be powered by gas, but this would make them more complex, dangerous, and inconvenient.

Paint it gray. Stencil apple logo. Stickerbomb it. Order dragon dildos. Call it a day.

God I can't wait for solar panels to become cheap and efficient enough to provide electricity to a single home for years with no need for the electric jew.

Currently you need like 30 solar panels just to power on your own home without using the grid.

You aren't waiting on solar you are waiting on batteries.

Even if we made solar panels free they would still be uneconomical without wildly better battery tech.

Former HVAC guy here.

With regards to simply cooling better and making them use less electricity, it's not happening. It's stagnant in this regard.

The innovation is currently in using alloys to make them cheaper and use less refrigerant. This also makes newer units less attractive to tweakers looking for copper.

Also using more environmental friendly refrigerant, which has been shit so far as R410A shit's the bed at 43°C (110°F).

how are those standing shits
my bed "room" is just separated from the main "room" by some black out curtains but they do a good job of blocking the window AC, I'm wondering if I should get one of those to supplement it

Meh, you can already buy like 20 car batteries to use during the night or cloudy days. 10kW is a lot of juice and YES I already accounted for the "don't discharge car batteries more than 50%" problem.

>which has been shit so far as R410A shit's the bed at 43°C (110°F).
elaborate, like does it stop cooling efficiently or just stop working?

Rule of thumb: every typical window ac unit will use ~4kWh a day. That's already like $0.50 per day.

shit
was meant for

I mean, come to Australia then try using you're aircon. 46 Celsius we hit last summer, although currently its only 14 and im freezing my ass off...

Do condensers in home ac units use the same R134a (or something like that) refrigerant that those in cars do? Hasn't that stuff been used in cars forever?

It stops cooling effectively at that temp and just ends up being a waste of electricity to recirculate. R410 was a bad idea, but regs mandated a less toxic refrigerant, otherwise not switching was going to kill the market for window mount and floor standing units.

No.

it's more like
would one of those effectively cool my 50 square foot bedroom

It's fairly dry there though, right? I'm in Florida, and while it doesn't get quite as hot here, the humidity makes it feel like you're swimming when you walk outside

Man this reminds me about having lost 100 lbs a year ago [I'm 5'7" btw]. Now I'm 140 lbs and I get cold as fuck below 15C and 27C feels like the perfect room temperature for me.

It's weird how being a fat fuck changes how you experience climate so much.

home HVAC can vary between R22 and 410 depending on the age of the unit. I know units made after 2010 had to switch to dry charge systems with R410 added on site, but the rules are changing in 2020 to force everyone on R410. So what's going on now is that new window and floor-standing units ship with R410 and HVAC shops are stockpiling R-22 ahead of the rules change in 2020, but that's also driving up the cost of R-22.

What do you think about R717? Should that be used instead of R410?

I think that R600a or R290 will more likely be used, as they are both widespread in refrigerators

The small sized ones they have in Japan are dope. On par with their toilets.

717 is functionally identical to ammonia, and can't be used in consumer-grade HVAC systems because of safety concerns. It's fine for use in industrial refrigeration because of the reduced risk of human contact.

wtf, aren't those flammable?

Hmmm I see, thanks for the info.

Then the gay secks right?

i manage a hotel. the big innovation is having unresponsive up and down buttons that barely work and a digital screen instead of a couple dials for hot/cold and fan intensity... so they are more annoying to use for everyone and impossible for geriatrics to figure out

Natural gas a/c may be a good choice depending on local energy prices.

If you have waste heat you can use an absorption system that has no compressor which means for a huge savings in energy.

Although outside of industrial processes no one has free waste heat.

no way, the east coast is humid as shit quite often.

ITS
MY
FUNCTION

How could I cool my room without opening a window?

Geothermal and ECM blowers are the future.

>ECM blowers

bwahaha

Enjoy shelling out $500 + labor cost when that shit breaks.

Heat pumps are over 100% efficient, since they can dump waste heat from the components in along with the heat it takes in.

LOL, you're a fucking dumb ass.

>How could I cool my room without opening a window?
Put some pictures on the wall of cool people.

I want to learn more about these things.

Is it feasible to build a central air conditioner right into the home? Assuming I'm building the house myself from scratch

I live in a tropical country and the heat just fucking sucks

>The fuck do you guys want out of these except "smartphone connected so it can get hacked and join the botnet all so you can change the AC when you're at work :)"

What I really want is for it to have a well-defined network protocol and connect to my home's LAN, so that I can automate it however I want.

If I really wanted to, I could rig an IR emitter that's controlled by my computers and emulates the remote's commands... But really, why not have an actual network cable plugged into my switch?

That way the A/C unit can also send me telemetry data instead of just accepting my commands. Hopefully I'd be able to monitor system health this way.

This

Maybe if your tits didn't droop to your knees you wouldn't sweat like a pig in a mere 90F.

lg-dfs.com/art-cool-gallery.aspx/LA090HVP

The innovation is there, just that no-one's ever seen it out in the wild.

What should I buy to cool down a room without windows?

Yolo McSwaggitty Swaggins, resident of 101 Swagginsville, Swagstown Falls, New Swagshire, Area Code 367485.

One day, Mr Swaggins (otherwise known as Yolo McSwaggitty Swaggins) was sauntering down to the shops when he stumbled across a swagged out baller, of the Universal Stuntin' Team known as The Swagged Out Ballers.

He proceeded to engage them in some light conversation, or compatriotal banter if you will.

He said "Doth you know the swagway to Swaggsville? I seemeth to hath losteth myswaggy way."

"Fear not young Yolo," the strangers quipped, "You just need to show us a 'dip' and we can oblige you with direction."

Yolo McSwaggitty Swaggins dipped at once and was directed in the correct direction.

Another fine tale told by Bobo McSwaggitty Swaggins, the cousin of the great Yolo McSwaggitty Swaggins, of Swaggsville, Swaghampshire.

You just described my full house ac/heaters thermostat.
fucking bullshit.

it will be mid 90s in my living room and the thermostat will try to tell me its 71.
in the winter it will be fucking 50F and the heater thinks its 72

Never change a winning team.

do an image search for "exhaust fan", select one that fits you needs and possibilities.

One exhaust is enough but one intake and one exhaust are good too.

Spot the Ivan.

It's the return.

It's 71°F near the thermostat, which is probably where your return is.

Your return, which should have a filter, is what draws air to be cooled.

If you're not living in a big house with only one system, then you need to call an AC guy to come have a look at your coil.

>°F

Yea I know, everything was installed by idiots.
The thermostat is right above the intake
The bathroom vent is literally 5 feet away from the thermostat and intake.
The ceiling above the thermostat never got finished so all the intake does is suck attic air down into the hallway where the thermostat and intake are. (it did have insulation but the paper pulled it down.) (house isn't mine, cant make random modifications without owners approval and its retarded to fix a rental)

you said its the return, is that suposed to always suck air or something? How are these suposed to know if all of the other rooms are hot as fuck if all it does is sense the air from a single spot in the house

This movies scared the fuck out of me as a kid

Why wouldnt you want to open a window? You want mold?

Just open a window, retard.

Here's your innovation. It pisses condensation on the carpet rather than down the siding on the house.
Fucking progress!

Oh, and it's also remote controlled.
WEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Central air systems
Not cheap buy or retrofit to an existing house. If the house wasn't built with central air in mind, it will rarely be worth it to have it installed.

Those "ductless" giant wall warts cost about a grand. Saw a bunch of them being bolted onto houses getting serviced by city contractors. Installation produces a lot less wall damage than a standard sleeve box air conditioner; you only have to deal with a small gap instead of a giant hole if you want to remove it.

Are these any good though? Was thinking of getting an AC styled like this. I absolutely hate installing an AC in a window due to it being really scary and nerve-racking. This type of AC looks less troublesome to work with.

I didn't encounter Minisplit air conditonings until I went to Mexico and Japan. These things are amazing, you can get an LG unit that pushes out around 30db at low that can push out up to 2 tons of heat or cold, and it is even pretty energy efficient. They're great as dedicated home office units, and pretty good for small server closets in various deployments to an extent.

If I was going to clean sheet design a new one I'd want;
proper PID loop to keep the fucking temperature exactly at what it should be by means of a remote temperature sensor
Power usage monitoring
Refrigerant monitoring (detects leaks faster so you don't get pissed when your AC stops working)
Ultra quiet high static pressure fan blade designs

And that's it. That's the problem there isn't much to do to them.

or until we start using LFTR

I have an LG model I got for $100. It's only 4,000 BTU, but it's only cooling my room. Came with a remote and it's "eco mode" makes it so the conditioner will hold the room at any temp I set and the air conditioner will click to fan only when it reaches it. We family's home has central air, but with how the duct work is run, my room doesn't get any. The hallway outside my room will literally be 25° cooler than my room. Doesn't help I threw extra money into the pool when my father was remodeling so I could get sound proof insulation and sound dampening drywall. Any heat that comes in my room never leaves.

Whats up with you faggots hating central air?

Central air is dirty and shitty

This is false unless if you live in a shitty place