/sqt/ stupid questions thread

Stupid questions thread. Go.

Other urls found in this thread:

adblockplus.org/
github.com/Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't connect to my server running mpd using MPDroid. These are the iptables rules I have:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Using telnet I get the following:
On port 6600 I get connection refused.
On port 8000 I am connected before the connection is abruptly closed by foreign host.

What am I missing?

Using PCLinuxOS in a VM with MATE/marco desktop. I wanna change the background image on the login screen to something that DOESN'T burn my retinas, but Google has failed me.

Any Sup Forumsmen here have info/ideas on how to do this?

Added a second SSD to my laptop. Battery life cut in half. How can I fix this problem short of removing the new SSD?

I've installed powertop but I don't know what to do with it and if that would even help things

Is it mlc? some manufacturing methods take up A LOT of electricity iirc

Yes it's MLC. Am I fucked?

whats the most extreme way to go about blocking ads within windows

Hmm, no, MLC doesn't take up a lot more electricity.

How old is your battery? How many mAh?

Keep in mind, SSDs idle less than a watt. Range from 1-5 Watts, higher end if you're constantly reading/writing.

Use ad block plus [yes, ad block plus, nothing else. There's something else that looks exactly like it, it needs to be from adblockplus.org/ ]

If you want to go more extreme, add a list of ad domains to your hosts file. You should be able to find these no problem on google.

Oh, forgot to say, some people prefer uBlock and say it takes up less ram. Never used though.

What's the cheapest GPU I can get that can output to 3 monitors? Searching around, it looks like three connections doesn't equal 3 outputs. Graphics performance doesn't matter at all, so as long as it can do 3 monitors I just want something cheap.

The laptop and battery are less than 6 months old. 4,866 mAh, 37 Wh battery. It has to be the addition of the SSD but maybe something auxiliary to it. My main os is Ubuntu and the secondary one is Windows. I've heard that Windows doesn't play well being the secondary drive (UEFI by the way). Not sure if that's related. For what it's worth within Ubuntu I can access my Window's file system.

GTX 1050 Ti. Cheapest one you'll be happy with imo. $120-150 on eBay.

Does the power consumption issue happen on both windows and linux? If so, it's probably the SSD itself.

Are there any 'dating' phone apps that don't require facebook?

If I set up a linux NAS with BTRFS will I be able to access it with a Windows PC?

Really? Some people were saying some cards as old as the hd 6450 can do it, if it had a display port output

Prob not, because of spammers. OkCupid is popular and it has an app though. Hope you find some qt3.14 that doesn't stay glued to social media.

okcupid doesnt require it

unless you mean "hookup" apps, which idk any popular ones besides tinder which uses it but obviously you can just make a fake one

Yes, set it up with Samba/SMB and use it as a network drive.

Ehhh, if you REALLY wanted to go that route sure. You could have 4GB ram and play games in 4k or 144Hz 1080p for an extra $80. And it sure as hell won't bog down with 3 monitors.

I can read and write over SMB right? Not just read?

Ah, I already have a 480. This is just for running under linux, gonna see if I can get PCI passthrough working for a bit of fun.

how secure is windows 98 compared to windows xp

Yes, you may or may not have to define it in the .conf. Make sure the global drive has write and the user has write.

Wait, you want to do a PCI passthrough with 3 monitors? Woah, you're brave, I don't think I've heard of that one.

It's more security through obscurity than anything.

adblock and all variants are shill infested - go with uBlock

Yea. Guess the SSD is faulty then, huh?

ANyway thanks for your replies and help.

I wouldn't say faulty but probably just sucks down the juice. Maybe try running only the new SSD and see if it sucks it down the same?

I assume if I just have one monitor plugged into the graphics card I'm passing through it wouldn't be any different to normal - most people use two monitors on their host anyway

What is the best GNU/Linux filesystem? (For general desktop use)

Pic related, Upgrading my humble video and audio editing rig (and some gaymen too)

did I pick good g? am I a retard ? validate and/or criticize my decisions

>may be planning to double my initial ram amount
>going to be looking at consolidating and upgrading HDDs down the line too

If you don't care about cost, sure.

You can get the 1050 Ti for almost half that and there are plenty of different wifi alternatives to usb. I would get a pci wifi card desu.

Pretty sure everything, including cpu, can be done with exact same models for much less.

Use a non-shit DE

My bad that is a PCI wifi card. Still, can be done for half that.

I dated a girl for 1.5 years from OKC and fucked 3. Would recommend. Just dodge crazies because there are a lot of them on there.

thanks user, Yeah im still pricing/ sourcing a few things but money isnt necessarily an issue unless I can help it.

Any tips on staying concentrate while learning to code? And no, I won't use drug.

cocaine helps a lot when I'm coding.
Where do you live? I can send you some.

If VPNs can see data I download what stops them from sniffing Tor data?

can someone recommend me a docking station for the xps 13?

Effort

You have preestablished encryption keys with the Tor network.

Sup Sup Forums.
Say I wanted to create a desktop application or program (I don't know the specific term for this), that would work like an online community such as Sup Forums. It would be/work a lot like Sup Forums and it's many clones, but instead of accessing it through a browser and a website you could just launch it like a game and connect with a bunch of fucking people and talk about the various topics like on here. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks man

github.com/Sup Forums/4chan-API

Develop the PS3
Develop PlayStation home
Make sure it's doa

Make an mmo
Make a forum for mmo
Watch it devolve into Sup Forums like boards

Develop discord
You are describing discord
Just use discord

Firefox for android gives me this white bar at the bottom of videos when I go fullscreen and the only way to get rid of it is it rotate my phone. It's extremely obnoxious, is there a solution?

(OP)
Hey /sqt/, I have a 32GB Droid Turbo 2 (Verizon) phone and was wondering if you guys have any good reccs for a shield/screen protector?

Thanks
Guess I was just describing discord. I want to make my own thing though in light of 80s cyberpunk

Does anyone know what chair this is? It looks super comfy.

Failing that, could someone spoonfeed me some other comfy chairs?

Is there any point to using Linux in a VM on Windows, from a privacy standpoint?

It should be the other way around, use Windows in a VM with Linux as the host OS.

Is this the board where I can find a cute, chubby compsci bf?

Im have no knowledge about tech stuff but, is it possible for a 4tb external drive, to say, like 1/4 of it will work for ps4 and 3/4 as your standard pc ext hdd? Plug it into a ps4, it will be a detected as a 1 tb drive, plug it on a pc, it will be a 3tb drive?

I have a network switch in my room connected to the router downstairs to give have my main rig hard wired.

I'm setting up a little TV area in my office and I want to connect a roku to the TV which will need to connect via wifi.

The wifi is pretty shit up here, so I'd like to strengthen it. Ideally I want something that I can hookup with a patch cable to, that will take that wire and make it a wifi access point.

Is there something like this? What are my options?

I'm bad with networking.

In whatever sense you wish to guesstimate or already know exactly, how different is the experience between a 1080 and a 1080 ti?

How do I stop being sad all of the time? It's been like this for a decade and I'm getting to a point where a tall building sounds appealing.

Your framerates will be around 20% higher at 4k. Games that run at 60fps on the 1080 will run at like 75fps on the 1080 ti.

Get checked for depression.
Also

If you get to the point of wanting to jump off a building, find the tallest building you can, and climb the stairs to the top.

quit fapping it lowers testosterone
do more exercises
have a goal in life even if said goal is trolling the shit out of the board, and when you succeed you find another goal
to be happy you need to be amped

>6800k
WHY
Just why?

Just built a new computer and I'm one cable short of completing.

I have a fan hub powered by a male molex.

Can I connect that male molex to a female molex that has several other female molexes on the same cable and then connect one of those female molex into a male molex into 8pin?

Will I be able to hook up a wireless router to the network switch? And connect to the router?

Surely that has terrible game performance though, right? That's the only reason I don't drop Windows entirely.

Not at all. There's a GPU passthrough thread right now discussing it.

Dual boot is the best solution.

If you have an HDD upgrade to solid state.

Or alternatively, get a mid grade lap top to run linux for basic tasks like internet browsing, and keep your main rig windows for gaming and other heavy duty tasks.

>Dual boot is the best solution.
Feels nice to have a button you can press and go straight to windows without having to restart though.
GPU passthrough still remains as something enthusiasts do, the learning curve which involves having the right hardware and READING keeps out deadbeat dumbass retards.

how about you tell me why you think thats bad(?) and all tell you why ?

>this is a stupid questions thread, I dont really know what im doing

there is a much cheaper 6 core option compared to that last gen Intel, the R5 1600/1600X
also, IBM SMT > Intel hyperthreading, AMD uses SMT

Not him, but it's a gen behind, was notoriously bad even when it was in fashion and you can buy better shit for half the prize from Intel or AMD.

as impressive as all those numbers and letters are, they dont mean shit to me

this guy gets it. what would you recommend user. Im just looking to cut my video render times and to run alot more plugins im unison for my edits than I was previously

My PC has been randomly freezing up lately. Don't know what might be causing it.

It just completely freezes in place, but if I'm playing a youtube video on the background, it keeps playing it, although really fucking slow as if playing it at 0.10 speed. Yet the system is still frozen until I hard reset it.

Is it the CPU? I tried dusting the heatsink and freezes are still happening. Maybe the GPU? I'm running the OS on an SSD, so I doubt it's that.

I fried the audio on my mobo through my headphones with static. Can I use a USB DAC as a replacement or do I need a PCI sound card?

yes

either is good user, it just depends on what you want to use it for other than your headphones

Ive done a lot of research on comp building the past two months and ive seen benchmarks for video rendering that go all over the place with a bunch of different comps. You're really only going to see massive speed increases on professional workstation grade stuff most consumer grade processors being I5/R5 and above will only vary a little from one another. It's really a question of whether you multitask a ton or are single minded with things on whether you want an Intel or AMD.

Two/three years ago people were convinced that processor you picked was especially fast for rendering but strangely consistently amd shit that was 200 dollars cheaper was almost always about 2 minutes behind at most. The reality is clock speeds and threads aren't helping video rendering as much as people once thought. I'm saying this though when the newest processors from both companies haven't been out long and video rendering/other benchmarks haven't really shown a clear winner with work related tasks.

using the "Fn" key to adjust brightness has started suddenly turning off the brightness. in the past, i could turn it between maximum and minimum brightness using the key, now however, the key drops immediately from 10% to turning off the backlight, even though it never did this before. Does anyone know how to fix it?

windows 10 basic, ACER aspire v nitro

My stupid follow up question is, how does someone fry only one part of a mobo?

Yeah, just headphones, thanks.

I was cold so I slid into a sleeping bag, when I put my headphones back on the static electricity jumped through my ear and went pop. Now all I get is white noise and a sound driver that freaks out if I plug anything analog in. Interestingly the optical port still works fine, so I'm using a surround sound receiver to drive my headphones right now

Who composed the startup music for Windows 2000?

so its basically a crapshoot unless I wait longer ?

How do I print QR codes on paper and be sure that it won't ever fade away? What kind of paper and printer do I need?

I want to print my PGP master key on paper because people can't hack that shit. Store it in my safe. However, I need to be able to recover it.

Need a low budet, NON-gaming, 4k resolution and low energy consumption gpu for an older Motherboard (asrock h67m-ge).
Its just for video editing on 4k/60fps vids.

is it possible that my i3-6100 3.7Ghz and NITRO+ rx 480 cannot handle my 4k samsung monitor???

also how the fuck does freesync work? I thought its like hardware based so i dont have to activate them in the game? like the monitor is vsynced by default or some shit??

my fps counter in wow and dota2 is unstable (80~~ casual, 50~~ intense)

Literally anything from the current or previous generation.
Even my HD7770 handles a 4K monitor just fine.

You could create a print and put it on a piece of steel using plasti-dip.

in graphics card drivers, what does texture filtering quality ACTUALLY do? I know performance gives a few frames at the cost of quality, and quality vice versa - but I don't really get what exactly it does and what setting is generally considered best. Goes for both brands, but more specifically AMD.

What do you mean put it on steel? Sounds expensive. I don't know what plasti-dip is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering
It's similar to anti-aliasing, but for faces at an angle.

No, I mean, just a sheet of metal. You could even just use a flattened aluminum soda can, and paint it on.
Plasti-dip is just plastic in paint form.

So I'd have to actually paint the QR code myself? Sounds impossible. I can't reproduce a machine-readable format by hand

>impossible
Sounds like you're a pussy that doesn't like to do hard work.
How important is your private key anyway? Doesn't sound that important to me if you don't want to make the most badass QR code PGP key ever.

Important enough to avoid any risk of fucking it up. I can't risk making an unrecognizable QR code just because it's impressive.

So, make a stencil. You can get plasti-dip in s spray can.

What is this image trying to say? I wasn't keeping in touch with CPU's back then.

MOAR CORES == Better

So is it really?

I'm assuming by the way you typed "MOAR CORES" that you were being sarcastic.

Didn't think about that! Looks precise enough. Thanks for the insight. This solution sounds even cheaper than expensive paper and specialized printers I don't own. Looking into it.

So what is plasti-dip anyway? I never heard of it... Google gave me this shit. If it can just come off like that, how is it durable?

Well, I did buy a 1700X...

Of course it's better if each core is still as fast

It's literally just plastic in a can. It'll last longer than you will.

Why