Why do universities focus on Java so much?

At my university the intro classes are either in java or python. The second semester class is in Java. Data Structures is in Java. I think a few upper level classes beyond that focus in Java.

Of course they teach courses in C and ASM for systems, but why is everything in Java?

I understand they're teaching OOP, but it seems like a Java overload.

One of my professors told me Data Structures wasn't a programming class... yet when I looked at the actual course it's all Java programming assignments.

Why wouldn't you use Java in an academic setting? It is well established has a lot of libraries and there are a lot of job offerings for it.
What other language would fit better? My only guess would be C# since it's an improved Java but otherwise I can't think of a general purpose language that's better.

it's fairly readable and doesn't require you to get all bogged down in memory allocation

it also allows for a smooth transition into inheritance and interfaces

My intro class focuses a lot on design patterns and put emphasis on learning threads. I feel like it's advance topics being thrown at us and we are expected to pick it up quickly with poor lecture notes and programming examples. Makes the exams tough to go through as we have problem after problem of written code and few time to do it in. Makes thinking about how you'll code rush and then implementations messy.

Tons and tons of documentation, skills in java should relatively easily transfer to other languages.

It would be pretty foolish for universities to teach kids bleeding edge shit that might not take off.

>C++
>bleeding edge shit that might not take off

What about teaching in meme languages like Rust, Go?

Gotta compete with Pajeet

The majority of jobs use managed languages like Java. If you know Java, you can easily pickup .NET or other popular managed languages.

How? He took Java in HS. My redneck HS didn't have a programming class.

ENTERPRISE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Why does everyone tell me OOP is crap and to learn functional programming and then do web dev? Makes me not want to take any OOP classes or makes me feel unhip.

Java is the best documented programming language of all time.

threading in an intro level class? bullshit

We only have C#, fucking Microsoft shillcucks.

hey this rhymes!

BBBRRRAAAAAAAAP

I guess not technically intro, but if you had AP CS then they recommend you take this course, if not then they recommend take a 101 class.

But it's still intro in the sense they don't expect you to know OOP / Java> Just that you know what a loop is and how to write simple programs.

This is the very first course in java / OOP for many people as they knew python or matlab coming in and the matlab / python course doesn't teach OOP here

it's your own fault for doing CS
Shoulda done CS&E or EE.

Java is in my experience teaching, a very good place to start with fresh minds. It follows the object-oriented principles very well and is easy to demonstrate for.

The only other language I'd suggest teaching in would be C#, and even that I can't always support. Java gives a better sense of openess I feel.

A guy once argued we should teach C++ as a first language instead, but it was quickly shot down.

>t. teacher of basic programming at high school

Girl on the right is my ex

...God she was wild, will never forget ; ;
best sex I've ever had

can i masturbate to this pic? oh wait, i see there's a logo there.

which reminds me pre-botnet internet era. using altavista to search for jailbait as a tween. good times.

When "to google" wasn't a verb, and when the internet didn't feel like it was designed to sell you shit.

she really your ex bro?

what about people that argue

Proof or it never happened.

>compete
Pajeet was my Java professor

dumbass taught the class in a fucking lecture hall with no computers

Java's fine for learning how to program. I wish there was more C# in college courses instead, but w/e. It's easy to pick up if you have Java exp.

Yeah, I don't think she's jailbait in this picture though.

I met her when I was 23, saw her for two years.

Don't really wanna reveal too many details, but she's from Gran Canaria.

LITERALLY the best sex ever man, those island girls, hahah good times.

wtf uni are you in? All our intro level classes are in C++, we don't even see another language till junior year

FFUUUUUU

Need to fap now. wish i had more pics

that's a big gurl D:

Share some pics my man.

I've already unbuttoned my underwear.

>underwear
>buttons
how are the 1800s? wait, how are you posting?

If your university isn't 100% C and MIPS or x86 assembly, your university is shit.

Don't get your briefs in a twist. Most boxer shorts have a button on the crotch.

My school taught 101 in C. Too many people were failing so they switched to python. I'd say the curriculum there was pretty evenly split between Java and C, C being used for OS and systems classes, Java being used for algorithms and data structures. It made sense at the time; the focus was to be on the concepts and Java is a lot simpler to work with than C is. Those C classes were far more memorable though since the program scale went up a lot when a class used that language.

Just an innocent fetishist passing by

>spend three years in vocational higher learning software develpement in java
>cant get a job with the degree
>decide to apply to university of applied sciences
>another three years with software developement and java
Life is suffering. Every fucking period has a group project in which I end up doing nearly all of programming while others ask dumb questions. I'll probably drop out as soon as I get a job that pays more than peanuts.

Why do you like farts?

I don't?

teaching C++ in an introductory programming class is a great way to get everyone to hate programming.

Sorry, I thought you were the braaap poster

nah mate. I just like well-shaped, tall girls.

It's not a Sup Forums meme. Literally fucking everything in industry is in Java.

The standard enterprise developer will jump through extraordinary hoops to implement solutions in Java, even if a more straightforward tool exists in some other language. Everything must reduce to some Java library, or they don't want to hear about it. We deal with some messaging system in C++, and instead of just using the open source C++ API, they will write an entire fucking JMS API to deal with it. Even fucking Scala is held with extreme suspicion. It's insane how enterprise wants to normalize to Java.

You must be a java pro, much better than the students, since you did vocational stuff. Like basically you know more than they do coming in.

Also, can someone else tell me if OOP is lame? Because my uni focuses a lot on Java and all my hip friends shit all over OOP/Java in favor of FP.

Makes me feel like a piece of shit for coding in java

Yeah, I got through it but its not a great idea. Java is definitely better to introduce programming with then use C++ to understand what Java is doing for you. C and ASM are kind of on their own along with VHDL, programming at the very low levels where you are handling serial communication or manually controlling RAM is very different way of thinking from 'normal' programming.

I have a few more but desu would feel bad about revealing her identity

Lmfao actually larping

Shes some dumb spanish brad who doesnt speak english shes one of those girls u see stand in the background in telemundo shows just reverse image search

Still more evidence g is full of virgins who cant code

Chad out going to make tht girl u fantasize about at the bus chome on my chad dick

Thanks bro. No need to post any more pics. Didn't mean to bring up any hurtful memories.

Also someone please fukkin answer

She speaks english well enough dude trust me ;)

I actually do code (mainly bash scripts, here mostly for gnu friendly threads) but saw the picture and had to reply.

There's a good story in it, I guess I was a chad once but now I'm married and a support engineer for a database comp

You're the one projecting now.

>Literally fucking everything in industry is in Java.

Or based on Java.

dayum that's thicc

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPFFT

I realize this is a meme as of late, but I don't get it.

It would be a good filter. There's no need to waste time on people not interested in programming.

Sorry, allow me to explain. Heh-heeem.
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

BRRAAAAAAP

farting sound

Universities need to crank out as much Java typists as possible. Corporations demand it.

And how did that become a meme/how is it remotely funny? Are we 12?

Are we 69? Why do you attach humour to age?

Java's still very popular, very well documented and, while verbose and prone to simple mistakes by beginners(by this i mean parentheses, etc) , teaches OOP concepts rather well.

Had Threads in Intro class with Java and OOP but it was like one of the later topics so yeah I guess some Unis do teach it early on

They removed C++,C and visual basic from the course work over the past two years and replayed them with web dev and android programming classes because C++ was too hard for students and shoe horn everyone into mobile dev,meanwhile I've taken them and I can say it was hard but only because we don't stay in one language long enough to fully understand how to use it and C# and java share alot of syntax.

C++ was technically my first programming language along with python for basics but java was pretty good with OOP to the point where when I went to C# it was easy because I didn't have stick in my ass anymore from java.

Because there is a specific point in time that fart jokes stop being funny and become simply a thing of "haaa... gotcha...", and it's called hitting puberty

Why?
>It's not to difficult to learn
>Companies want Java developers

Name me a uni that do that - using a handful of languages instead of utilizing or at least showing what the most commonly used/useful language is is just awful

Did we go to the same Southern school?

Because there is a specific point in time that fart jokes stop being funny
Oh I get it, you're a "grown up" and a "responsible adult", humour is eternal my good brain washed citizen, I believe in the right context anything could be funny.

IS FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING BETTER THAN OOP?

I never said I'm a grown up, responsible adult. But ok, I can accept the "well timed" humour theory. This was not well timed.

because you can get a good job

>muh functional programming

Java 8 has all the functions you will ever need
and 9 will have even more

No.

>This was not well timed.
In your opinion.
BRAAAAAAAAAAP

Maybe it was well-timed and funny the first time it was ever used, maybe even the second. By now, I understand it's overused, and not even remotely close to being well-timed.

It's not an opinion, it's common logic.

>It's not an opinion
Yes it is.
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPFFFTPFTTBRAA-BRAAA-BRAAAPPPPPPPPT

>teaching C++ in an introductory programming class is a great way to get everyone to hate programming.
Only for brainlets

Go to a real university?

Universities are full of people who failed to get a commercial job.

this and Most colleges/universities live in the C++/Java zone. There are generally enough examples and documentation available for both languages that it won't be hard for a student or professor to look something up with confidence. C# is right behind those two because of its syntactic similarity to Java. You're not supposed to take away the language so much as the fundamentals of languages (in the OOP zone, anyway), and how you can apply those fundamentals to other languages if you want to apply for a job in that language domain.

Beginner CS student here. Why does everyone shit all over OOP/Java and speak so highly of functional programming? My friends talk shit about my classes since it's in OOP and not FP

Despite what Sup Forums might tell you, OOP languages are the norm for software development in the job market. Java I believe is actually the #1 language used. So I guess the assumption is they teach you everything you need to know in any OOP language (i.e. Java), you can prettymuch apply it to C++, C#, etc. if need be, you'd just have to learn the syntax.

>One of my professors told me Data Structures wasn't a programming class... yet when I looked at the actual course it's all Java programming assignments.

I'm not sure if I would go so far as to say it's "not a programming class", but I understand what your professor is saying. The purpose of the class is more about understanding data structures conceptually, but in order to understand them you must program them.

What separates a good CS student from the ones who just take it as a meme are if you learn other skills and languages outside of class. Take what you learn in class and apply it to shit on your own time.

Excellent response. Thank you.

They can't get over learning something very retarded so they shit on your useful knowledge.

Thanks, makes me feel better.

>being a purist retard
>not just learning a multi-paradigm language like Java and C#

fucking idiots the lot of you

My uni teaches C in the first and C++ in the second semester, which is good because it weeds out the idiots and makes it easier to understand Java than the other way around. C/C++ is used in theoretical courses like data structures, algorithms and operating systems and Java is used in more practical courses. The latter even list Java as a requirement, so we had to teach it ourselves.

Java 8 supports lambda expressions.

Thanks OP I needed this. After so many nights lurking Sup Forums feeling bad about my general interest in Java, this definitely gives me hope. Also here is a short list I've compiled of a lot of terms I've seen related to Java or software.

CS is no longer a purely academic field. People go to college to get a job.

Using Scheme in your CS courses might teach you computer science on an academic level, but it's not gonna help you become a code monkey like Java will.

Should have picked better uni. Intro to programming was asm and C

It's Macbook compatible.