/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw you'll never stumble upon rms while looking around in a computer store

>ganoo linigs
mrw grsec cucked Linux out of actual security

First for Gentoo

>That color combo
has RMS ever gone in target

I am running Fedora 25 with GNOME3. I was wondering how long I could keep running this thing without updating? I hate the process of re-installing my apps and OS.

Does that bag respect my freedom?

What? dnf has dist upgrade now

Assuming it's a facebook machine. 10 years.
If it's a shitposting machine, forever.

If I could I would purge all Linux distros aside from Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch and OpenSUSE. GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE and i3 are the only ones allowed and pacman, deb., dnf. should be the only package managers permitted. Ideally the entire FOSS community should be working on Ubuntu GNOME if we ever want to see progress.

@60152662
Gotta work harder for the (You)s.

When selecting a laptop or desktop to run GNU/Linux on, what is your go-to resource to make sure that you purchase a compatible laptop or desktop?

Main machine. I am a student. So I'll be using it for everyday things plus coding and games.

System76

Gimp keeps crashing whenever I try to open a file or export to one. Here's the output when I open it via CLI and try to open an image:
GEGL-geglmodule.c-Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.2/openraw.so' load error: libopenraw.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:29558): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-pdf-load: error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler-glib.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:29558): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
gimp: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed.
gimp: terminated: Aborted

(file-png:29603): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:29567): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

Redditors like you keep the entire community behind. But I mean if we can splintering off just don't be surprised no one takes Linux seriously, and that it will always remain a hobby-ist OS.

Dell and Lenovo have great Linux support. Generally just search the component (usually motherboard, graphics card and SSD) for it's compatibility with Linux.

Basically anything ordinary will be compatible.
The main cause of problems is wireless adapters. And even that is reasonably rare.

Make sure to pick ATI if you need an dedicated graphics card.
The drivers are almost all free software.

When was the last time you updated fedora?
Dnf should make it really easy.

Did you try installing libopenraw and libpopper-glib?
How did you install gimp? From a tarball?

I haven't. Last time I used Fedora it was F18. But I am saying I don't want to upgrade the distro since things might break. How long can I stay on 25, are there any security issues?

I generally agree with this statement. I think that a huge issue with the state of GNU/Linux is how splintered everything is, hindering progress.

There are a million distros based on Debian or Arch. They are usually just pre-configured buggier versions of the distros that they are based on. People will use these shitty "based on" distros and think that this is a representation of the entire GNU/Linux experience. It's not. A "proper" distribution (one that is not based off of another) doesn't have as many problems.

The only exception to this rule I can think of is Ubuntu, because it has enough manpower and organization behind it to consider it an independent effort.

@60152705
Not good enough.

If you are so afraid I wouldn't bother updating anytime soon. You won't have any 4 channer sshing into your mainframe.
I don't use fedora, but dnf was supposed to make upgrading trivial.

I mean people can work on their own distro, DE or whatever but if you are dedicated to the spread of Linux focus on Ubuntu and GNOME.

I installed it via pacman. I can't find libpopper-glib, but I installed libopenraw.

Now it prints this:
(gimp:31704): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-pdf-load: error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler-glib.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:31704): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
gimp: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed.

(file-png:32297): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:31743): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

>choice is bad, mkay

> You won't have any 4 channer sshing into your mainframe.
How safe is Linux in general, and Fedora in particular?

> Missing the point this bad

His decision is retarded. The community needs more rolling release systems.
Yearly and bi-yearly release schedules create an inconvenience for anyone who doesn't intend use said distros as a 'jump off'. Especially new users who don't utilize a separate root and home.

I wouldn't say that. I fear the day that Linux does become centralized. At that point I'm afraid we will start to lose choices and freedoms.

>libpoppler-glib
Try poppler-glib.

Pretty safe. Is there any reason someone would target you specifically? Are you running any web facing service? If so, update.

The unix permission system, software repositories, firewall and selinux are a pretty good protection against most generic malaware and attacks.

Also, if you like fedora and don't like updating. Consider installing CentOS instead of updating to 26 when the time comes.

>The unix permission system
what's this?

Separate root and home is a meme. All its good for is causing you problems when you need to resize partitions. If you're reinstalling then you should just wipe the whole drive and restore your data from backups.

Got poppler-glib installed, now it gives me this:
(gimp:2271): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed

(file-png:2629): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:2311): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

eh it's been pretty useful for me. No point in wiping the whole drive if I only need the space where the root partition is located. So I can keep my /home without having to backup and restore.

>Is there any reason someone would target you specifically?
No. I don't host any web services.

saved

There wont be more progress. More than likely there would be less due to infighting and devs dropping out of projects they don't like.

Every file has tree attributes.
1. Owner(a user);
2. Group(a group of users);
3. Others(everyone that is not the user and don't belong to 2).

Each of those properties is a 3 bit flag.
This flag can represent any combination of the permissions for reading(r), writing(w) and execution(x).

Check if cairo or libcairo or anything like that is installed. Try rebooting?

You guys wouldn't to know of any good sources to learn/understand perl, not sure if this is particularly related to this thread.

he's a macfag

Search for /dpt/ on the catalog.

MacOS is Unix.

What are some cool terminal commands?

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

lolcat is fun

deltree C:\Windows\System32

Cairo was reinstalled and I rebooted, now I get this:
(gimp:1779): Gimp-Widgets-CRITICAL **: gimp_device_info_set_device: assertion '(info->device == NULL && GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)) || (GDK_IS_DEVICE (info->device) && device == NULL)' failed

(file-png:1852): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: file-png: gimp_wire_read(): error

(script-fu:1793): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

curl -L git.io/burger
curl -L git.io/coffee
curl -L git.io/pancakes
curl -L git.io/pizzza
curl -L git.io/pizzzza
curl -L git.io/poptart
curl -L git.io/rice
curl -L git.io/taco
curl -L git.io/unix
curl -L git.io/vburger
curl -L git.io/waffles

sudo apt update
makes you look like a leet hacker

Then Idk. Sorry, I'm not even a Arch user.
I suggest you ask on the arch or the gimp support mail list. The Arch forum may be useful, but it's mostly circle jerking.

Also, remember to tell them what the original error was as well.

What do you mean by the original error?
The problem is that it crashes when I try to select or export to a file.

How to make cmatrix use the matrix font in a terminal emulator?

That's really cool, user.

Not particularly a GNU/Linux question, but what kind of mini laptops are out there? There's the eee PC 701, any other laptops that are neat, old or new?

is there a wayland equivalent of startx? How would I start a gnome wayland session from tty and make sure it's wayland?

Hurd 1.0 soon.

As soon as hurd can have audio, firefox and vim I'm basically set to switch to it for daily use. How are those ports going?

If I started gnome from gdm, and didn't choose gnome on Xorg, am I running wayland? I wanted to try out wayland and I'm impressed that all my x programs, including firefox still work.

Has anyone tried using the Nix package manager on Fedora 25? I'm thinking of using it to install my multimedia software so I don't have to rely on RPMFusion.

man cmatrix

There is a guide for this on the Nix website, though it is written for Debian/Ubuntu, I'm unsure if it will also work for Fedora.

For what it's worth, I installed a minimal Ubuntu server and installed xorg and gnome-shell. I used Nix package manager for everything else, now I have a stable base OS with up to date software and the best package management system.

>implying I didn't read it already

gnunet any good? is it full of pedophile like other p2p services?

Yep, that's exactly what I do.

$ bash

>bash

Is NixOS really that unstable? It seems more streamlined to use the same package management for the entire system. What would be some pros and cons of just using NixOS?

Tired of Ubuntu. I have spent that last week distro hopping looking for the right distro that works for me.

Finally settled on this.

>Arch without the autism
>comfy global dark theme
>rolling release thats also stable

Realling enjoying this.

you'll be fine if you don't let the memes get to you

Budgie sounds gay.

Why does rms dress like a Staples employee.

I ended up with xfce. Seems pretty
Good so far.
>inb4 too lazy to take a screenshot

Can anyone help me to get shadow of morodor working, it simply won't launch at all.

Just remember to change your system clock to bypass cert warnings.

sup /fglt/. running debian with openbox right now aka bunsenlabs. pretty comfy, been thinking about switching to arch for better documentation, what's your opinion?

No need to change if it just weeks imo

That's true and why I haven't switched. I am going to wait until this summer when I have a lot of free time and switch to arch then to improve my linux-foo.

Will do.

stealth

What do any of you think would be a good DE to use on a Tablet PC with a low resolution? Specifically X201t tablet.

fuck guys. I messed up big time.
>openssl update fucks my shit up in arch
>because I'm a retard, delete the library that was causing the problem (libcrypto.so)
>pacman won't do anything because missing shared library libcrypto.so.1.1
How do I fix it from the live usb? I would copy the file, but it doesn't seem to exist in the live usb.

I can't help but read /fglt/ as "faglet".

You're all fucking faglets.

It's pronounced "foogy looty"

I spent all afternoon upgrading to debian stretch.

I almost wish I didn't, because the defaults were pretty shit and I just spent several hours re-editing configs to get the old behavior back.
Easily, the worst change was auto-locking the screen after suspending, they added light-locker as a hard dependency on all of xfce4 so you have to disable it or else it takes 15 seconds for the os to come back after sleep.

KDE is trying to murder my CPU.

Is there a DE that wont try to cuck my motherboard? Cant stand having my CPU getting assfucked everytime i want to search for something.

What else went wrong?

I'm actually interested in this because I have two machines and a couple VMs running Jessie and I'm a bit nervous about eventually having to upgrade them when they release Stretch

NixOS is very stable but doesn't have the man power behind it such as Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora. Not that it makes much of a difference just it bothers some people, however the Nix package manager is the best there is due to portability. You can use it on GNU/Linux, MacOS and FreeBSD. It is useful for when a particular distribution doesn't package a certain software (e.g. MPV in Fedora).

I have a compaq 18 Keys Keyboard.

Had to take out from the trash, clean it and rewire several pieces of the circuit sheet.

Now i want to use the Multimedia keys but nothing out of +vol/-vol mute sleep play,stop,next,prev,pause Works. I got the official driver for windows and got keybindings for the rest, sadly i want to make it work on linux too.

Is there a Tool to make it work on Linux?
I tried with LinEAK but i cant make the motherfucker compile after adding 6 preheader files the uploader forgot and i sincerely surrendered with that route.

What's wrong with bash?

My gf is leaving me .
To cheer myself up decided to buy a new laptop and install distribution I haven't tried yet.

What laptop should I buy and what distribution should I install?

Laptop should have
-good linux support, obviously
-good display
-if battery can last at least 3-4 hours, good for me

Now I'm on old asus x54c
-shit battery lifa
-shit display
-doesn't work bluetooth
-slow wifi

Debian is for cucks so that'll suit you nicely.

oh man, REGT! god halp him recover!

How do I enable smooth scrolling for steam and stuff. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it isnt.

I was thinking more like SourceMage, gentoo, funtoo
And don't think this word applies to me.

Or maybe linux from scratch
Just not sure how stable any of these are

I'm joking with you friend, I hope you don't have too much of a bad time.

Try NixOS? The Nix package manager is the best there is, but I don't know much about software availability for it.

stretch breaks virtualbox, you need to uninstall it, and it's no longer available in the repos so you have to add it to your sources.list and add their public key.
wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox

exim4 is set to do some kind of DNS fuckery at startup and adds about 7 seconds to your userland startup time according to systemd-analyze
you need to disable it with dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

audio controls might not work unless you add the pulseaudio panel plugin
the wallpaper chooser seems to have less features, i can't lower the brightness anymore and I haven't figured out how to change picture directory
xfce4-terminal seems to have switched to Adwaita theme permanently, it clashes with the rest of the system if you use a weird color scheme
DejaVu font family has been renamed to Noto font family.
nano 2.7.x breaks a lot of .nanorc stuff from 2.2.1, you'll have to toy with it again

if you have the money, get a dell xps 13 or 15. They're pretty expensive but worth it. The 13 is more portable, but only has a dual core CPU and soldered RAM. Both come with 1080p or 4k displays and they all have insane battery life. (6-10 hours of basic web browsing/video
It drops to about 2 hours of compiling though.) They have pretty good support for gnu/linux (they actually sell the 13 with it preinstalled). 15 support is a bit worse, but still fine: the current version of nvidia's driver is broken for the GPU, but the nvidia beta and older driver aren't. Just install one of those, install bumblebee and it should work. I'm really happy with my xps 15.
As for distro, it really barely matters. They're all good. I like Debian, but for either of those laptops you really need a new kernel (everything works in 4.10, but they have a few problems on older kernels. Debian stable is unusable with the default kernel because it doesn't support the hardware. I use Arch on it because it has good support for bumblebee, and installing the newest kernel, nvme kernel patches and Nvidia dkms beta driver are all easy. I wouldn't recommend gentoo or any of those type of distros.

I'm OK, at least no one will interrupt me now.

Hm... I might just check all these and pick one.

Though, casting spells in SourceMage does sound cool.

>virtualbox
couldn't they have just left it in non-free? bleh, guess I get to see if they ever unfucked KVM and virt-manager. I tried like two or three times over the past few years, it never worked right if I wanted to run a graphical environment in a DE. Or rather it worked, just unbearably slowly and with enormous CPU usage, vbox never did that.

oh well, at least I only have to do this shit once every two and a half years or so