youtube.com/watch?v=VWQ7hbV7bN0
youtube.com/watch?v=GMp5EAq-Elo
youtube.com/watch?v=OKakermaQ68
youtube.com/watch?v=XhIohWr10kU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

68k is still the best CPU ever made

Hello LGR

Motorola markings were always so nice looking for whatever reason. Very concise.

>using the LGR PC as the OP picture
OP confirmed for underage

I agree, the whole chip looks solid and nice, like a monolith

Timestamp that you are Clint. Otherwise delete this thread, cause stolen picture.

What's wrong with it? Even when LGR isn't the best and smartest, it's still comfy and fun.

Reposting old pic of Lifebook because comfy :^)

This, tits and timestamp

>tits and timestamp
kek

>tfw have a lifebook P but I can't justify ordering a battery, AC adapter and everyfucking thing else to get it working again

Do you have the old battery, if so, change the cells? Also, try finding a compatible adapter, doesn't have to be original for it to work. Those things are too comfy to not have one working.

Don't use screenshot of his videos you idiot. Also no timestamp.
At least put some effort into it, so we can laugh a little.

Nobody implied OP was Clint, those a pictures from the previous thread.

>That .net gave me some wood?
>What do you mean? We already have wood!

What ever happened to it? Will we ever get the Sup Forums BBS client?

Seems they pretty much ripped every easily detachable part off of the machine before they shipped it off. I'd even take a dead battery for it at this point, it looks absolutely retarded without one.

That's a shame

Currently running Windows 2000 Server.

Neat, what chip?

Pentium 3 850MHz.

What are you doing with it?

Using it as a retro game database.

>no cmos battery
>no keyboard
>no persistent storage device of any kind

enjoying staring at
CMOS CHECKSUM FAILED, PRESS F1 TO ENTER SETUP
KEYBOARD NOT FOUND, PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE
?

>BOOT DEVICE NOT DETECTED, PRESS ANY KEY TO RETRY

That was a test bed to see if the board boots (it was previously gutted of the VRM caps but now I restored it)

Although sometimes I do get the
Keyboard error or no keyboard present
but that may be because of my keyboard's cable.

>but that may be because of my keyboard's cable.
check you don't have pressed or stuck keys as well, if a key is held when it checks it, it can trigger an error

>BOOT DEVICE NOT DETECTED, PRESS ANY KEY TO RETRY

It's Award BIOS, thus it's like this:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Here's a capture of it booting up.

If I wiggle the cable it works fine,and there are no stuck keys (it's been cleaned recently)

VCR?

>Server Family
Windows 2000 Servers for the whole family!

>tfw I was expecting it to say Windows 2000 Datacenter Server because that's what I chose to install (it's from an all in one disc that includes Pro SP4, Server SP4, Adv. Server SP4 and Datacenter SP4)

>posting combed 30fps progressive video
>when it's 60 field/s interlaced
>not deinterlacing to smooth 60fps progressive

the boot splash image is inside the kernel image, i guess they figured it wouldn't be worth the space to have so many additional copies of the kernel just to change that text

Anyone else feel bad for Kildall while watching old episodes of The Computer Chronicles?

I love plotters!

youtube.com/watch?v=y9XgplGqSrw

How does /retro/ store their babies?

I have 7 or so 286-586 era machines I'm planning on storing in large cardboard moving boxes for easy tetrising away into the store room. I will be putting foam layers between, each double wrapped in garbage bags with a freshly dried desiccant sack thrown in. All batteries removed. Any other considerations?

Pic unrelated, new toy I got from a guy at work today, Sperry 3070 XT clone. Blown PSU with propitiatory XT clone headers. FFFUU.

On tables, fully equipped and ready to use at any time.

>Pic unrelated, new toy I got from a guy at work today, Sperry 3070 XT clone. Blown PSU with propitiatory XT clone headers. FFFUU.
Looks real nice though

That's cold man.
> tfw no room for beige beowulf cluster.
> tfw fuse box would likely melt off the side of the house if I tried.

I did float the idea of a small footprint beige box per room with some CLI GUI > RS-232 > zigbee based goodness for controlling lights etc, but like the flimsy cover it was, the other half saw right through and shitcanned it.

If nothing else it will yield some good, hard to get parts. It's got a 30MB Winchester HDD and its control card, that alone is fucking awesome. I'll wire something up to it eventually and see what happens.

>tfw fuse box would likely melt off the side of the house if I tried
You don't have to power them on all at once

That case is gorgeous

Duh, it's woodgrain

Anyone else find Windows 3.1 really unintuitive?

Pretty much

I really don't understand the whole program manager thing, some program windows run only inside of it, while others can be dragged outside of it. The desktop seems to only be usuable if you don't turn off your session, for home use that's horrible imo.

Yeah, it was pretty dumb even for it's time when compared to things like MacOS and AmigaOS

i can see it feeling pretty weird if you've only ever used the taskbar, which was introduced after windows 3.1

bump

on my desk, under my desk, and in my closet

More pics?

>How does /retro/ store their babies?
in my nutsack

bump

I wouldn't call it "unintuitive" but I still hate it, it's big, ugly and poorly designed in general.

It's shit. Calling it unintuitive isn't a stretch

multiple outbuildings and a garage lined with shelves and stacks

But that would imply it's difficult to use, and I never had difficulty with that, it was just unenjoyable to do so.

Well, guess you are right, I can't say it was difficult to use, but it was less intuitive than the competition for sure.

What table is that?

I could say I'm with you on that.

I always preferred Macs when it came to old consumer graphical systems, that interface made 640x480 seem way bigger than it actually was. Amigas were probably okay too, but I've never used one.

One with wood and metal

Any recommendations on a good POST card?

they are actually called diagnostic cards though

bump

>SSD

Pics

univac 1 operators console

univac 1 memory module
its got mercury in it
not sure .. could be "acoustical delay" .. the "williams tube had a delay which was the amount of time it took a lit up 'pixel' = bit in that case, to fade. there had to be a delay to sustain the impression of the data. so early computers had racks of tubes, CRT tubes that weren't even being looked @. photosensors on one end

That is a great chair. I am sitting in one right now.

IBM hard disk

If it's mercury it's an acoustical delay line for sure

>Cool memory module, Ahmed.

it was a civilised business

Oh crap

>UNIVAC I used 5,000 vacuum tubes,[11] weighed 16,000 pounds (7.3 metric tons), consumed 125 kW, and could perform about 1,905 operations per second running on a 2.25 MHz clock. The Central Complex alone (i.e. the processor and memory unit) was 4.3 m by 2.4 m by 2.6 m high. The complete system occupied more than 35.5 m2 (382 ft2) of floor space.

5 megabyte disk, 1956

>and it's not even mounted, just lazily hanging in a gaping empty bay

The GE-600 series was a family of 36-bit mainframe computers originating in the 1960s, built by General Electric (GE). When GE left the mainframe business the line was sold to Honeywell, which built similar systems into the 1990s as the division moved to Groupe Bull and then NEC.

did they care about the box

The Elbrus (Russian: Эльбpyc) is a line of Soviet and Russian computer systems developed by Lebedev Institute of Precision Mechanics and Computer Engineering. These computers are used in the space program, nuclear weapons research, and defense systems. In 1992 a spin-off company Moscow Center of SPARC Technologies (MCST) was created and continued development, using the "Elbrus" moniker as a brand for all computer systems developed by the company.

Elbrus 3 (1986) was a 16-processor computer developed by the Babayan's team, and one of the first VLIW computers in the world.

Very long instruction word (VLIW) refers to instruction set architectures designed to exploit instruction level parallelism (ILP). Whereas conventional central processing units (CPU, processor) mostly allow programs to specify instructions to execute in sequence only, a VLIW processor allows programs to explicitly specify instructions to execute at the same time, concurrently, in parallel. This design is intended to allow higher performance without the complexity inherent in some other designs.

mothafocka

That's Sparkys shitbox

cozy

f u .. ama programmer
UNIVAC

A blonde? Using a computer? Think what a rare sight it must have been back then

vot. are you doing in here

the most important machine ever built

a design team with unlimited budget & free rein

XEROX

not just that

nice, back to pleddit now faggot

>The Alto has a bit-slice arithmetic logic unit (ALU) based on the Texas Instruments' 74181 chip, a ROM control store with a writable control store extension and has 128 (expandable to 512) kB of main memory organized in 16-bit words. Mass storage is provided by a hard disk drive that uses a removable 2.5 MB one-platter cartridge (Diablo Systems, a company Xerox later bought) similar to those used by the IBM 2310. The base machine and one disk are housed in a cabinet about the size of a small refrigerator; one more disk can be added via daisy-chaining.

>Alto both blurred and ignored the lines between functional elements. Rather than a distinct central processing unit with a well-defined electrical interface (e.g., system bus) to storage and peripherals, the Alto ALU interacts directly with hardware interfaces to memory and peripherals, driven by microinstructions output from the control store. The microcode machine supports up to 16 cooperative tasks, each with fixed priority. The emulator task executes the normal instruction set to which most applications are written (which is rather like that of a Data General Nova). Others tasks serve the display, memory refresh, disk, network, and other I/O functions. As an example, the bitmap display controller is little more than a 16-bit shift register; microcode moves display refresh data from main memory to the shift register, which serializes it into a display of pixels corresponding to the ones and zeros of the memory data. Ethernet is likewise supported by minimal hardware, with a shift register that acts bidirectionally to serialize output words and deserialize input words. Its speed was designed to be 3 Mbit/s because the microcode engine could not go faster and continue to support the video display, disk activity and memory refresh.

Good to watch:
youtube.com/watch?v=xPyqQXFC2yw
youtube.com/watch?v=MDKxOmVDapQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PR5LkQugBE0
youtube.com/watch?v=EDw8U1a6s78
youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7vDZpniNI
youtube.com/watch?v=b7yVhMT7tr4
youtube.com/watch?v=c0sL_FwPVwM
youtube.com/watch?v=9OQMhvArI9g
youtube.com/watch?v=VWQ7hbV7bN0
youtube.com/watch?v=GMp5EAq-Elo
youtube.com/watch?v=OKakermaQ68