Alright, so I'm in the market to buy a GTX 1060 but I have no idea what to go with

Alright, so I'm in the market to buy a GTX 1060 but I have no idea what to go with.

>Gigabyte GTX 1060 WF2 OC 6GB
>Gainward GTX 1060 Dual 6GB
>Gainward GTX 1060 Phoenix GS 6GB
>MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1
>Palit GTX 1060 Dual 6GB

Am I just largely looking at different brands and cooling efficiency here? Keep in mind I have no interest in OCing my card.

Should I go with Radeon equivalent instead?

I'd go with the Sapphire 580 Nitro+

look at clock speeds, lots of them are factory-overclocked. find the best price/performance ratio. I got an EVGA superclocked 1060 6GB last year and it still works perfectly, though there are rumors of EVGA cards overheating/exploding.

Like user above said look at clock speeds but unless they're OCed out of the box you won't really see much difference. Maybe couple of frames here and there. Also, some like Gigabyte model can switch to gaming mode easily.

If you have no brand loyalty you should check out XFX RX 580 8GB OC because you'll get better performance for the same price range.

sapphire nitro rx580

So Radeon doesn't such anymore?

Depends on your monitor. Freesync is cheaper so for someone on a budget I would go with AMD. If I had more money for gsync i would get the 1060. Reason, 1060's are about the same performance, and you can get a free game with it usually. Also, get the 6 gig.

They never did

>Keep in mind I have no interest in OCing my card

why? it's easy as fuck unless you're literally retarded

what's it with nvidia and misinformed consumers?

For some reason, and I don't know why, people that have no understanding of technology love Nvidia by default.

>what is emulation

although to be fair it has been a long time since then

Their weakness for the longest time was driver support.

Somehow that "G-Force" name really stuck since the times when it killed the Voodoo, Radeon just never had the same effect on casual buyers.
Even when they were getting their asses handed to them by the 9700 people were all like "im gonna get me one of them Geforce 4s, they're fast" only to then buy some crappy MX440
And somehow, this never changed. Hats off to the nvidia marketing department, they are the ones who really won this. At some point ATI, or AMD then simply did not have the budget anymore to compete in the high-end.

>XFX RX 580 8GB OC

Won't that actually run out of computational power before it can even use all of those 8GBs? 256-bit has to be nice compared to 1060 standard 196-bit, though.

If you plan on gaming don't consider anything less than the 6GB version. Nvidia lies and the 3GB version should be a different card. If you don't need to consider things that rely on CUDA, you might want to consider an rx 570 or 480. Offers a little bit more bang for buck if all you do is game.

>Won't that actually run out of computational power before it can even use all of those 8GBs
Depends, if the game uses uncompressed textures then no.

>Palit GTX 1060 Dual 6GB
I just got the
Palit GTX 1060 JetStream 6GB

The cooler is a bit fatter than that of the Dual.
Takes up 2.5 slots roughly.

Quiet though

So basically main advantage for dual fan models is they're quieter?

I own a MSI GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 and all i can say is that it works great, no noise and low heat while gaming.

Jetstream has 4 heatpipes, a backplate and a beefier cooler, which allows for quieter operation

If I'm not mistaken, the Dual only takes up 2 slots
The Jetstream's fat cooler makes it 2.5 slots wide

>look up GTX 1060 vs. RX 580 game benchmarks
>RX 580 gets BTFO just like every other generation of AMD cards

are you saying that every single benchmark available on the internet is rigged and paid for by nvidia?

Temperature differences is what kill hardware. With a better cooler the maximum as well as the maximum difference is less.

What kind of name is Palit (Pajeet) though.

P.S. Not sure if it's worth it. I'm usually aiming for low noise, so I got the Jetstream for that reason alone

>What kind of name is Palit (Pajeet) though.
European brand locally known for quality cooling solutions
Might be available in Asia too
Not the Americas tho

How is the RX580 even in the same category as the GTX1060?

I saw the reviews on day one and just assumed it's a competitor to the GTX1050Ti or something in between

>cherry picking benchmark
>memory on the 580 is fucked

we got mixed results right there, the rx 580 is considered by pretty much anyone to be better (though not that much) than the 1060

One of the two reviewers fucked up real bad somehow

One of those 1060s is the Founder's Edition, other is not.

>doesn't show brand or model

RX 580 is most likely overclocked while 1060 is not.

all reviewers show similar result than the guru3d i posted, i too was baffled to see the results of anandtech

you are right
the rx 580 from previous picture is also an msi by the way

My advice: Look for various reviews on those cards and go for the one with the most massive solid heatsink on it.

I went with the MSI RX 470 - not the more powerful RX 480 (this was before 570/580) because it's got quiet fans that don't spin at all most of the time, even with light gaming.

If noise doesn't matter to you then go for the card which is clocked highest. I'd personally go with the one with the best cooling solution that's not factory overclocked.

>So Radeon doesn't such anymore?
Yes and no. Not against the NVidia 1060, no. But that's really their best offering, right. The RX 580 is "on par" with the 1060 both in price and performance. But that's AMDs best. If you want to spend more money and get more performance than that then NVidia's your only choice - they got the 1080 etc but you'll have to spend quite a lot more.

No. Computational power has nothing to do with it. It's not like a computer can't utilize 32GB of RAM because the CPU will run out either. Consider this, the only reason I upgraded my 7850 was that 2GB video card memory was no longer enough. I got the 8GB, not the 4GB, version of the RX 470 because of this. 1GB RAM "was plenty" back when I got the 7850.

If you're buying a new graphics card and you expect to have it more than 2 years then the 6GB version of the 1060 or 8GB version of the a RX card is the obvious choice.

This so totally true. I've had a teenager ask me "is it G-force" once. Perhaps 4 years ago? It totally took me off guard. He really thought there was one video card out there called G-Force and that card was great.

How much of a tie-breaker is 6GB vs 8GB?

I dont get these reviewers at all.

On all the major review sites, the 580 loses to a 1060,

look at the smaller review sites and youtubers, and the 580 beats the 1060 by a small margin.

I myself got a 580 recently because i RMAd my 1060, and im getting higher FPS on it. i just dont get review sites anymore, so many mixed results.

Is there a reviewer that compares the cards how YOU would run them?

for example they test everything on Ultra, but sometimes to get better frames i turn HBAO or shadows down, because that shit is just retarded.

also on AMD cards i set tesselation max to x8, which further gives me higher fps but no loss in graphics.

there is so much tinkering that can be done to get maximum fps, yet they all just run everything on default.

And i havent found a review site that uses the CHILL function on AMD cards. that thing is a fucking revolution in the graphics industry.

In BF1, my 1060 overclocked got around 110fps in one location, the 580 in the same location gets like 130fps.

>also on AMD cards i set tesselation max to x8, which further gives me higher fps but no loss in graphics.
reminds me of good old witcher 3 with the forced x64 that you could change through amd driver settings but nvidia, so an r9 280 would end up outperforming a fucking gtx 980
fun times

>there is so much tinkering that can be done to get maximum fps, yet they all just run everything on default.

You expect your average user will do anything than select his graphical presents under options if he even does that and doesn't simply go with what the game auto detects? These aren't really enthusiast cards anymore where you assume people know what they're doing.

Between a AMD card and NVidia card I'd say none at all because if you pick AMD 8GB is your highest choice and if you pick NVidia it's 6GB and I think performance / cooling solutions / the fact that NVidia doesn't have a hardware scheduler (uses more CPU) are more important.

But if I had to pick between a 6GB AMD model and a 8GB AMD model (or both for nvidia) then I would definitively pay a bit more for the 8GB version.

>for example they test everything on Ultra
To me a whole lot of "reviews" seem like pure marketing, usually heavily favoring one or the other. And who runs with "ultra" settings anyway? It's easy to suspect that they are showing some $1000 card on "ultra" settings to give the impression that you can't run the game in question just fine on a $300 card at the default settings.

People also don't really weigh their options properly because they stuff like, I don't know, these cards have higher power consumption and it immediately becomes a huge negative for them.

580 if you're going to be playing DX12 games. That's pretty much all you need to know.

>coil buzzzzzzz

Try zotac gtx1060 6gb

you are right. AMD could help them with this by actually making the defult settings a bit more performance oriented than just the standard shit.

I agree. none of it makes any sense. Ive seen so much shit the past 4-5 years that just baffles me.

Anandtech used to be fucking great with real information. now its just shit.

Tomshardware for exampl. they tested the 480 card with 7/9 games being gameworks titles. its beyond stupid