What software do you use for Vinyl ripping?

Most of my music has been from ripped CDs using Exact Audio Copy. It satisfies my autism knowing it's The Way Its Meant To Be Played :]

For some reason I'm very curious about vinyls for their dynamic range, quality and general aesthetics. Is there similar software for vinyls like EAC? My first rip I just used Audacity and made manual edits to remove noise or rumble. I felt triggered but still satisfied. I feel like this could be posted on Sup Forums but they're fags.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jhnAEhGnp5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>putting your vinyls in a Digital Format

but why?

Isn't vinyl just a meme?

Digital Music is a meme

Why would you listen to Emulated Sounds instead of real ones?

>real music
What is it?

its easier to click on a file than to take out the multiple records and sides for one album. If you dont want to do that youre stuck with the builtin speakers

>Compromising Audio Quality for Ease of Use

Why would someone Buy a Vinyl then instead of listening to it on Spotify ?

Which Builtin Speakers?

An analog recording is one where a property or characteristic of a physical recording medium is made to vary in a manner analogous to the variations in air pressure of the original sound.

audacity

Why hasn't anyone developed an analog/digital hybrid system yet? Use digital technologies to compensate for the known variations in the medium being used to transmit a clean analog signal, to allow for the highest resolution available on the medium.

Such resolutions would be much higher than you can get with a quantified, digital recording, which can only be as accurate as the threshold of a transistor, Digital conversion of audio will always introduce distortion and is always lossy. By transmuting the original signal with analog amplification, there's no need to interfere and degrade the original analog signal which can simply be piped into your typical analog speakers. vahlah, a analog pipeline.

The downsides of this method is that you can't have exact copies as each system would have it's own type of distortion, given its unique properties and environment. The upside is massively increased resolution and a quantified record of transmission path, instead of a quantified record of the signal. This record is basically how the system would "reverse engineer" the signal to bring it closer to the original.

Fools don't know about signals

Because there's almost no real drawback to digital anynore so long as you have the proper format and equipment. The average person, 98% of people, can't tell the difference and the ones that can will admit thst the difference is negligible. I only use vinyl anymore solely for finding and ripping rare and unique samples.

Vinyl is still cool as fuck though.

Because said equipment would be expensive as fuck and highly impractical.

I get ripping old vinyls but some people who get vinyls of newer music I have to ask why.

>Studio records in digital
>Puts it on vinyl
>Muh sound quality
>Convert it back to digital

Also vinyl is most definitely poorer compared to digital in terms of dynamic range and reproduction quality. Digital can store the waveform as it was as long as the sampling rate is high enough. Not so much for analog, the medium amd recording equipment matters a lot, also shit like dust, fingerprints and what not can also affect things. In digital the dynamic range can go up 144dB with 24 bit recording and the bottleneck is always the equipment. I'm not too sure about vinyl but it's definitely not as high.

Tldr vinyl is only useful for looking cool.

Record player without a belt sent to a nice tube pre amp ideally sent to an analog to digital converter, record it in a daw at 96khz 24bit. Type of tube is a matter of what color you want. Vynil sounds better for a few reasons, your bass can't be too loud or needle will jump grooves, it can't be overcompressed with limited like digital for the same reasons so it has more dynamics in it despite digital having a way lower noise floor. Problem is pop music industry including metallica whose a really bad offender, are involved in loudness wars for radio despite radio stations using a limiter to over compress and already over compress mix. Also Vynil rolls off highs so it also adds a warmer color

not sure how a shielded copper wire, old amplifiers and existing digital sampling technology is impractical. Perhaps they'll be cheaper with mass production.

What I'm proposing is simply our existing audio technology put together in a different order.

If you're doing manual edits in the middle of a wav,your not enjoying the way it was meant to sound. Fade edits are noticeable unless at a zero point of phase

List the hardware you are capturing with. If your hardware is shit, get that replaced or all your effort is wasted.

Decide if you want to go 24-bit / 192 KHz, or really crank it to 36-bit / 384 Khz. If you really want to capture & encode at those levels, you better have the playback equipment to do it justice.

I collect & trade a lot of FLAC in 24/192. My current playback doesn't do it full justice, but it does reasonably well. I'm invested in that level of encoding because I will be upgrading my playback. Having it on hand allows me to encode in other formats & other levels at need, and gives me excellent trading options with other people.

The recent trend toward 36/384 has left me a bit cold ... it's a lot of storage space for a format I will never have the equipment or ears to tell the difference. However, I used to do recording and mixing, and the autist in me wants that level of resolution so I can mix out the best possible sound.

Also however .... I know I'll never get back into a studio to make use of that, so I don't have anything in that format. I'd only collect that if it was unusually rare music and I didn't have other options.

Choosing software comes after making some of these other decisions. Did I mention you had better have a god-tier turntable & needle plus cables, so you don't waste yours and everyone else's time?

>Studio records in digital

Not really. The top-tier studios record in analog. Anyone who cares about true & total sound quality captures in analogue if at all possible.

Getting access to lineage from that analogue with no digital conversion in between ... that is another story. But vinyl is making a big comeback. A lot of modern music has analogue lineage from instrument & voice all the way to vinyl.

>it can't be overcompressed with limited like digital for the same reasons so it has more dynamics in it
That's proper bullshit, vinyl has a lower dynamic range

That's just one way to measure a signal.

Educate me on one other relevant way.

Accuracy.

How do you measure accuracy and how is it relevant to dynamic range compression.

Dynamic range isn't relevant at all. It's just how much louder one beep or boop can be compared to another beep or boop. Whether not those beeps and boops are representative of the original signal is another issue altogether; that we call "accuracy"

>how to measure accuracy

Well, it's hard. Here's one way.

youtube.com/watch?v=jhnAEhGnp5w

i'd just do something like;
1. hook up vinyl player to preamp, preamp to computer sound card, onboard should be plenty if it's reasonably modern, otherwise get a cheap external/usb one if you have trouble with it
2. start recording, 48KHz/24bit or higher to begin with
3. play some loud sections to ensure your levels are good, 24bit gives plenty of headroom for adjustment, set it quiet enough that you will never clip
4. play the record front and back
5. once you're done recording, adjust the volume of the entire recording to fill the available range (just automatic amplification)
6. downsample to 48KHz/16bit, or 44.1KHz/16bit if you plan to burn it to a CD, there's really no reason to keep anything more than this
7. split and save however you like (whole thing, one file per side, one file per track),

ps. it'd be interesting to know if there's software available to merge multiple recordings of the same thing to make a better quality composite
it would be difficult to achieve though, as formats like vinyl and cassette have imperfect playback speed, so it would be difficult to perfectly adjust multiple recordings to keep them in sync
outside of simply using a better vinyl player, that'd be the only way to 'extract' a better recording from one, that i can think of

oh, and if you plan on using additional filters, like artificially reducing noise or removing pops, consider doing so to new files, so you don't need to do the initial ripping again if you decide to change anything