/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oAnyFmU7bPI
youtube.com/watch?v=YVtQ9dWTUP8
coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=VFXetkP22lE
youtube.com/watch?v=O0oSYTP24rU
pcpartpicker.com/list/8zqW7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/gpZ6Fd
geforce.com/hardware
nvidia.com/page/legacy.html
overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780788-Overclocking-Ryzen-1700-w-ASUS-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Incorrect-temps-and-voltages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All this time without pcbg? Christ, people should take the initiative and just create the thread on their own

>should I go intel or Ryzen?
Depends on your usage and budget

>But it will be on Wii U because the optimizations haven't caught up to AMD's shit per core performance on a higher end machine like Wii U vs ancient PS2 and Wii
Not sure what you're on about, Ryzen runs cemu well
youtube.com/watch?v=oAnyFmU7bPI
youtube.com/watch?v=YVtQ9dWTUP8

>tfw I upgraded to a CPU cooler that is rated to 360 watts of cooking.
>for an i5
At stock speeds it doesn't even go above 50C under maximum load.

do you at least overclock

Sapphire Pulse or Nitro+?

What's the price difference between the two?
If the pulse is within $10~ then sure, otherwise it's not really worth it

I'm going to build a mid-tier PC for my cousin's son, all he wants to do is to play some videogames. I'm assuming a 1500x/570 4gb will be more than enough for his needs right ?

Yes, even a 1400 wouldn't do any difference to him. Rx 570 also handles 1080 like a champ, assuming not running the game at maximum possible settings

>50c
>on a stock clocked i5

lololololololol sure is housefire in here.

Is ryzen 1600x enough for gaming on latest games or is 100$ more for ryzen 1700 (not x) worth it?

Going from R5 1600(x) to R7 1700 would actually decrease performance in gaming (though only very slightly), the R7 1700 isn't stronger: it just has more cores. It's more suited for heavy multitaskers and HEDT (content creation) crowd.

R5 1600(x) is not enough for gaming, it's great at it. Priced similarly to the i5s and reach only 60 ~ 70% cpu usage while the i5s reach 85 - 95%+ pretty often.

Going R5 1600 instead of 1600x is generally a better choice because 1. the 1600x is is just a cooler-less higher clocked version of the r5 1600 and 2. the 1600 can reach very very close clocks, and the cooler it comes is decent enough for slight overclocks (which you can always upgrade down the road to reach R5 1600x clocks)

The 1600X is a lot faster in games than a non-overclocked 1700...

Thanks for helpful response, anons

Im gonna get rx 480, is xfx gtr good or should i get some other version? And can i use hyper tx3 evo cooler which i already have for 1600x?

Thanks in advance

>suited for HEDT
>12 and 16 cores coming at high stock clocks
It's more like.. MEDT. HEDT for 3 years ago.

>Going R5 1600 instead of 1600x is generally a better choice because
Yeah but you can find 1600X on sale. 1600 I've only seen on sale once, at Jet. They raised the price after they sold out immediately once they got them back in stock. They're selling above MSRP at Amazon and some others.
So if you want to use a if cooler like I did, just waiting for a 1600X to drop on sale makes sense.

XFX GTR is the best RX480 if you see it on sale. But you could get a Red Devil GS or GTR-S RX580 which are a bit better.

>And can i use hyper tx3 evo cooler
you're going to need a bracket for that, you can get one from cooler master but although the bracket in itself is free, i'm fairly sure the shipping fees aren't
coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/

>is xfx gtr good
it is, though the msi one is better. But we're talking barely 1% higher fps and 2% higher clocks, so make your decision based on price. Have you considered the RX 580? It's a better version of the RX 480, it performs decently more though it also uses more power in the process. You should be able to find it at close or identical prices.

right so i'm after a cheap gaming build but i wanna go ultrawide so would a g4560 and an rx570 be a good combo? or should i wait for ryzen 3? only really play light games

g4560 is good, not really sure about the rx 570. What games in particular?

counter strike global offensive, league of legends, the heaviest i'll play will probably be skyrim

oh, then yeah it'll be pretty great for sure

Yes to 4.4ghz. Sadly I still get 80C because Intel fucked over everyone by using a shitty TIM, but it's much quiter than what I had before.

doubt.jpg

youtube.com/watch?v=VFXetkP22lE
This is with a h100i water cooler.

Normally about 20 to 30.

>Yes to 4.4ghz. Sadly I still get 80C

Then yeah, not worth it at all for what it is

I'm a bit torn on what GPU to get for my Ryzen 1600 build. Where I live (CZ,EU), 1060/6gb and 580/8gb cost the same.
Historically I've had shitton of problems with AMD GPU drivers to the point of frequent BSODs and not being able to play some games because of them. But these times I hear that the nVidia drivers are the more fucked ones and that the cards don't cooperate well with Ryzens, although I haven't seen any actual benchmark backing the latter.

Any advice, links to look at?

I have a 3d printed a delid tool that building up the courage to use. (when my warranty is done and Zen2+ is available).

I also think I have lost the silicon lottery :(

Hey guys, I currently have an i5 3570K and an AMD Radeon 7950. I was looking to upgrade to a new motherboard with an i5 7600K and GTX 1070. But after reading some of the things in last night's thread I'm not so sure now, some said the i5 is bottle-necking the 1070, but I can't find any evidence of this after watching loads of benchmarks and tests. I'll mostly use the new build for gaming and browsing, maybe some light CAD work in the future. Currently live in UK and the new mobo, CPU, graphics card and Ram is looking to set me back around £900, so I'd really like to make sure I'm getting something that sets me up well enough for the future. Built my currently build in 2012 and it's lasted me a good 5 years with no issues.

Thanks for any help!

So, just in the process of tinkering with my R5 1600 build.

With the stock cooler I was able to run the CPU at 1.25v, 3.8ghz. With prime95 I reached 85 degrees stable.

With the B350 board I wasn't able to reach 3200mhz on the RAM and instead could only get a POST with 2400mhz.

+1 for ryzen 5

Just game on Windows? Both are ok. Game on Linux get Nvidia for now. Need support for deep learning or niche GPU technology go Nvidia. CUDA has way more backing in the academic community.

>With the stock cooler I was able to run the CPU at 1.25v, 3.8ghz. With prime95 I reached 85 degrees stable.
Wow, impressive

>With the B350 board I wasn't able to reach 3200mhz on the RAM and instead could only get a POST with 2400mhz.
Which board? I also have the same problem on my asus prime b350m-a, funnily enough before the agesa update i was able to reach 2666MHz and even 2900 once. Currently waiting this month's agesa update

No the i5 will probably not bottle neck the GPU. If you are doing a full update right now strongly consider a ryzen build. AMD finally reached parity on speed and still have 'more cores' which makes them the undisputed leader in everything not super CPU bound. (Emulation, badly optimized games, etc)

MSI B350 PC MATE

3/3/2017 BIOS. I ordered some different sticks (trident z) which are pretty affordable and have greater compatibility than my current corsair vengeance sticks

I would recommend the rx580
>newer card
>more / longer support
>AMD drivers are better than Nvidia's right now.

t. gtx980 owner
Also what he said. I got my card specifically for Nvidia's CUDA technology that helps me with rendering in PTC Cero and finite element analysis with ANSYS.

Use cases are DAW on Windows, dev work on Linux, games on both. I know dualbooting is frowned upon on this board, but It Works For Me™

i5s in today's games regularly go above 85% cpu usage, which can even go up to 95~100% during spikes. You can see it in this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=O0oSYTP24rU
And many others. R5 1600 are always recommended instead of i5 precisely because of this.
Sure, you can overclock the i5 to counter this, but you'll still be at 80+% usage and the R5 1600 actually doesn't need to even be overclocked at all to avoid 100% usage. 6 cores 12 threads vs 4 cores 4 threads, heh

>AMD drivers are better than Nvidia's right now.
He already read that, but he said he wanted to know where he could check if it's actually true
Just saying "they are better, trust me" is not a really good proof

WTF ARE YOU DOING NIGGER
>buying an i5
>2017
>"future proofing" when an R5 1600 has 3X the threads and intels next generation i5 is rumoured to have 6 cores

Thanks for the info, I've looked into the Ryzen 5 1600X which costs a little more than the 7600K here. Looking at some benchmarks it seems that the Ryzen is a great CPU, but given that I'll mostly be using for gaming do you feel it'll give me some real-world advantages over the i5?

Also, I heard some people saying the Ryzen has some compatability issues with the 1070, is this true or am I being trolled by intel fans?

Hows this look?
Its a build for a console fag friend who wanted to spend this much.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8zqW7h

hmmm you make a good point bro, might be time for me to consider upping my cores. Thing is on a lot of the benchmarks I'm not seeing the 1600X outperform the 7600K by that much on average frame rate, though it does stay above the 7600K when it comes to lowest average framerate. Would an i7 7700K be the better choice?

Overkill, then. An RX560 should get like 150fps fine in CSGO

I'm going AMD, but I plan on helping openCL development so I'm niche there.
Probably can get away with either, especially if you play mostly indie shit on Linux. Not helpful in making a choice, but really you just need to look at raw power per dollar which will change if you can find a moderate sale.
If you don't close applications before going into game mode it will benefit you greatly. Games still have shit multithreading support but increased threading let's you not have to worry about that Firefox window or music player you have in the background fucking up your fps. That's probably the biggest real world case people will run into. I can't speak to the 1070 issues, I don't have one.

People still get driver issues with AMD cards where it'll crash because the card is unstable and you need to RMA and stuff.
Same thing happens with Nvidia cards.
You can't avoid it by getting one or the other. It's simply luck.
But the average experience, when things work normally with either, is much better for AMD.

>I've looked into the Ryzen 5 1600X which costs a little more than the 7600K here

You should get an R5 1600, it comes with a cooler (and a decent one at that) and is much cheaper. I made an explanation of why it's a better choice than the R5 1600x here: >but given that I'll mostly be using for gaming do you feel it'll give me some real-world advantages over the i5?
Yes. Nearing 100% usage is something that happens for i5 and not for the 1600, that's the main advantage right there. Also, the fact that you won't need to close anything before starting your games, no need to worry about X programs using your CPU to much.

>Also, I heard some people saying the Ryzen has some compatability issues with the 1070, is this true or am I being trolled by intel fans?
It's a problem with 6 cores cpus and nvidia drivers, that happens in very few games (so far rocket league and rise of the tomb raider). It consists of the GPU being under-utilized resulting in lower framerates.

I like how we have reached parity now with both being kind of shit.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/8zqW7h
please get him at least a 1080 and a not-Seagate HDD
otherwise looks ok

>hey guys I have 4c/4t
>I'm looking to sidegrade to a not even 20% better 4c/4t
WHY
What the fuck goes through people's head to do this? It makes no fucking sense.

Thanks for the info, I'm wondering if I go for an AMD if I should wait for the Vega before settling on a 1070.

I will usually close all applications before running any games, but as you said the fact the 7600K is hitting 100% CPU usage in games in general is clearly not a good thing.

Man when I built my PC back in 2012 I was very set on what I wanted, but the Ryzen has made me reconsider alot of times this time around.

I get that more cores and threads will lead to a better experience in general, but in various benchmarks the 7600K far outperforms my current 3570K, so it would definitely still be an upgrade. Though it does look like the Ryzen would lead to a better CPU experience in general at the moment.

I think it looks good, some people will dislike the presence of seagate because they used to be very notorious for having enormous hard drive failure rate. It's not much the case anymore for most of their recent hard drive, but their 4TB ones do suffer a lot still from it, and overall have slightly higher failure rates than other manufacturers

You tried manually putting in looser timings and you still couldn't get 2666 or 2800?
3.8 on 1.25 is really good, though. I don't think Prime95 is enough of a torture test since it doesn't test all instructions, though. But I'm not sure what's really ideal either.

It's just not worth the GSync idiot tax to get a 1070. At least step up to a 1080 to make the monitor cost slightly more worthwhile.

>a CPU that's stock clocked to 85% of its potential is better than a CPU that's only stock clocked to 75% of its potential
hm....
makes u think.
And apparently you haven't looked at enough benchmarks since you don't see how inconsistent the lower end FPS of the 7600k is and what a stuttering mess it is. But I guess you have shit eyes since you have a 3570k, think it's fine, and just want to waste money on a slightly better one.

Is m.2 a meme? Regarding loading times for applications and vidya
Assuming you already have an SSD

Vega releases june 31th at the very worst so waiting is not out of qhestion
About the nvidia 6cores+ problem though, i personally don't think it's that much of an issue. It's been noticed in two games so far and even then it wasn't dogshit performance (180 fps in rocket league -> 110, 100 in ROTR -> 70). But if you don't mind waiting for Vega then sure, nothing wrong with it

If for some reason you are buying in may, maybe wait for Vega. We know it's going to be at least $300+ by the price of the 580 cards and early benchmarks put it around a 1080. It's probably going to generate a ton of antihype when it comes out unless it's priced super low.

user, stop bullying people. He is already considering the R5 1600 over the 7600k, not sure what you're on about.

read the OP

I have actually mentioned the 7600K's lower performance at the bottom percentile of the fps benchmarks I've seen. But again, it's still a pretty significant upgrade compared to my current CPU. Either way I'm going to look into the Ryzen for the time being, hopefully they can iron out some of the issues it's had with Nvidia cards and bad optimisation for games.

M.2 is a meme in real world tests right now. Its less of a meme where size is at an absolute premium.

The proofs are in Nvidia's own driver release notes.

While all of their graphics cards still get updates, the 900 series don't/aren't getting performance optimisations that the 1000 series are receiving, even-though it is still considered "current gen" and not "legacy" :(

>doubt.jpg

Because he said "in benchmarks blah blah" ignoring that the 7600k is clocked higher but they don't OC much more differently.

They're two 4c/4t CPUs with similar IPC. The 7600k is not worth the "upgrade" cost for someone coming from an Athlon x2 or E8500, let alone someone that already has a 3570k.

AGAIN: it's not a significant upgrade. A significant upgrade would simply be overclocking your 3570k or getting an R5.

Yeah could have a look into the 1600, seems to be the best choice for an AMD gaming CPU. Plus it wouldn't be bad having the freedom to have multiple applications open at once.

Those benchmarks are still quite good even with the 1070 issue desu. I'm looking to build this thing after the end of May, when my final exams are over and I can really take some time to do this properly, but was considering purchasing everything beforehand so it's there and ready.

Maybe an AMD Ryzen with the new Vega card could be the best way forward

I'm assuming you meant getting an i7, which is something I've considered too.

where is the 1050 Ti in that list

Yea or nah?

Also what's the sweet spot for DDR4 speed? Is 2133/2400 fine or should I try to get 3000/3200?

Getting higher memory speed would make your ryzen cpu perform better, but whether it's not or not depends heavily on the price. I can see that your 2400MHz ram cost $97, how much do a 3000Mhz one go for?

Have AMD Ryzen Master open for actual temps, also what CPU cooler are you using?

Ladies (male) and Gentlemen, I present to you...
The Freebie aka London
pcpartpicker.com/list/gpZ6Fd

epic

I can't seem to find stuff faster than 2400 in the 2 x 4 variety so I would have to step it up to 16GB. There's a 3000 set of 2 x 8 for $185. Worth?

Ryzen officially supports 2666mhz ram (unlike Intel which tends to cap out at 2133mhz - though some chips support 2400mhz) so anything less than that is a waste of time.

HWinfo reports temps correctly - I don't even have ryzen master installed because fuck software overclocking. Pstates all day baby!

I'm using the silver arrow SB-E (not the extreme version) which is a cooler that hangs with the D15 for performance.

How much was the duct tape to strap that together?

>paying for wangblows

shizoop dimbongadoop

more than my CPU cooler
I wish I was joking

In what country are you exactly?

aus

seems overly expensive, not worth double the price
Try to get 2600MHz 2x4GB if you can find any at a close price

Fuck it lads, upgrade guy here, I think I'm going to get the Ryzen 1600. Now just need to figure out what to do about the graphics card. Also, I'm assuming Windows 7 won't transfer over to the new build without any issues will it.

I would recommend a 580 over a 480. Bout the same price as the 480 was and is newer, and gets better performance. But both are OK. 580 is better though.

microsoft locked any update from being downloaded to w7 or kaby-lake, though someone made a workaround. And you need to somehow get the usb drivers on the windows install otherwise your mouse and keyboard will not work. It's possible but really annoying

>from being downloaded to w7 or kaby lake
on kaby lake, & ryzen*

hmm. It doesn't seem to be in either.
geforce.com/hardware
nvidia.com/page/legacy.html
Probably just a typo it should be in hardware.

>HWinfo reports temps correctly
Nope I don't trust any temp reading done by anything other than Ryzen master because of the """""""offset""""""". Also that's a nice cooler. The one I got is a thermalright true spirit 140 which has about the same perfromance :)

>because of the """""""offset""""""".
?

Ok thanks for the heads up, I might just get a cracked copy of Windows 7 ripped to a CD before upgrading. I really don't want to go to Windows 10.

Also, I looked at some tests for the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 1600, looks like a Cooler Master 212 outperforms it quite alot, especially with overclocking. So might it be worth getting the 1600X with a third party cooler just to allow some better overclocking in the future?

Ryzen reported higher temps on a hardware level to improve compatibility. Stupid benchmarkers don't have a clue how hardware works and report ryzen is a house fire.

>average frame rate
I seriously hope you don't fall for this meme.

I challenge eveyone in Sup Forums to run the built in benchmark of Metro Last Light so we can get more data and see which processor(s) are truly the best for goyiming.

I've decided on a Ryzen 1600/1600X lol

You're a dipshit you know that right? The non-X ryzen parts don't have an offset (like my 1700). The X parts do so your cooling ramps up to give the thermal headroom for XFR.

Been looking to replace my case, currently rocking a silencio 352. But the fans seem to get noisey and the cooling isn't too great with the added extra fans.

Right now I'm using the two stock fans it came with and two 1500rpm bequiet fans on my scythe mugen 4 and the fans that came with the cpu are being used as outtake fans.

Considering the define r5 or h440 from nzxt atm, window would be cool but not exactly necessary.

Pic related.

To be fair the the i5, a lot of the suttering is caused by SSAO, turning it off helps a lot.

overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780788-Overclocking-Ryzen-1700-w-ASUS-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Incorrect-temps-and-voltages
Nope.
>Overclocking Ryzen 1700 w/ ASUS Crosshair VI Hero - Incorrect temps and voltages
>I have a Kraken x62, so I expected low temps, but Ryzen Master and ROG AI Suite 3 are showing steady temps between 16°C - 22°C at idle. Most other programs are displaying 0°C or nothing at all.
>I'm kinda having the same problem. I can't trust the temperatures at all, because it is reporting 28°C under Prime 95 @3,8 Ghz with 1,355v.
Cooler is a Corsair H110i on an R7 1700
What did they mean by this?

>buy 1080 gaymen x
>coil whines like ur mum yesterday
How long is RMA on this garbage

Between BIOS updates (i'm running 0083) and updates to HWinfo tctl is the correct temperature. There is no skew enabled in my bios.

Is it worth spending 100€+ for a GTX 1070 instead of a 1060 6GB?

convince me to drop the 1600 to a 1500x /pcbg/
building this computer for a nephew who is just gonna use it for gaming but i just can't see why i would drop 2 cores and 4 threads for £30.

Depends.
Generally, if you have to ask, the answer is no.
What games do you play at what refresh rate and settings?

Right now I don't play anything because my PC is too shit, but I want to play the new games that are out and are coming out. Should be 60fps minimum and I have a 2560x1440 monitor. Can the 1060 6GB handle that?

Not at max settings.
GTX 1070 is indeed the better choice in your case

Hey /pcbg/ I'm looking to build my first ever gaming PC. I'd like to know, is there anything outstandingly bad about this build from reddit's pcmasterrace wiki? I'm obviously a poorfag but I'm looking for something at least better than the current gen consoles. I could go little higher in my budget but not much. Sorry if there is already a consensus about these builds, I'm unaware.

It's a good poorfag build but if you can you should aim for better, this build isn't going to last very long.

Yeah I'm thinking I ought to hold out maybe. Do you mean won't last long as in the parts will become obsolete quickly?

>1050Ti
get an RX570 and a not-Seagate HDD and it's ok for the next year or two.

>will become obsolete quickly?
Yes. Read the OP for good current parts depending on budget