Who here uses Geany?

Been looking for a FOSS alternative to Atom, after it became slow as fuck.

I remember someone at my old work shilling geany like crazy, but didn't give a real reason for it to be so great.

I think it's "just OK". Am I missing something? Is here anyone who uses it as main IDE?

Geany is my C IDE. I don't need much more from a C IDE so I like it.

I use it as my main. It has lots of plugins, syntax highlighting works well and be very fine-tuned. Also it feels light, Sublime takes longer. Not even going to bother mentioning Eclipse.

I use it for this C++ish thing that the Arduino framework is. So it's ok.

It bothered me that I didn't get the split window view like in Atom, but not that I RTFMd, i have it.

It is quite light. It never stands in my way. Compared to the current Atom experience, its lightning fast.

Is there a way to use a dark theme?

mad bads who fell for the linux meme and can't install visual studio xD

Why would anyone install Visual Studio.

If you know what you are doing, you don't need such thing

Used to use it as my main editor. It was default on CrunchBang. It's easier to just use vim for everything now.

Been using VS Code, it's actually good

Use Vim, my man

It's my Linux version of Notepad++.

Use QtCreator for C/C++, much better.
PyCharm for Python.
For everything (else) emacs

VS is indeed quite good and on windows probably the best IDE.
However it looses badly to emacs.

>However it looses badly to emacs.

I spent yesterday's afternoon getting a hold of emacs workflow.

I understand it's speed in a CLI environment, but when I open it with a GUI, it kind of gets in the way.

How is emacs better than VS? (particularly in auto-completion and anti-fuck-up measures)

well after only one afternoon it might be difficult to understand all of emacs.

However because of its flexibility it can incorporate every feature any other IDE might have with no problems.

Emacs works both in CLI and normal graphics mode.

What you could try to ease the transition is to install Prelude.

I liked the workflow, but somehow, I get distracted with the GUI. I'd really enjoy everything if it was just CLI, and I could use the whole screen.

Does it have autocompletion options? (I expect that this is a yes, but it doesn't seem to take advantage of the GUI, like overlapping a dialog with the possibilities)

Been using VS code for some time, pic related are the extensions I use, it does the job fine.

Emacs has a GUI option but it also has a terminal version.
If you don't want to load the GUI then you can start emacs as:
$ emacs -nw

Forgot pic.

'Yes, with pop-ups and ewerything. look up company

10/10

Thanks man, looks exactly like what I want.

I'm having a hard time with modes... not used to it.

A mode is simply a set of functionality that can be collectivly enabled or disabled. Each buffer has a single major mode based an the file type that establishes things like syntax highlighting and navigation. In addition to that there can be any number of minor modes enabled according to the user's preference. For example, there is a minor mode that automatically pairs brackets, it can be enabled everywhere, or only in certain buffers, as you please.

tons.
company, ac-complete or wtf its called and 2 or 3 others.
Just go M-x list-packages RET
then C-f "autocomplete" or "completion"