Swipe credit card

>swipe credit card
>PLEASE DIP
>insert
>ten plus seconds of wait
>machine then starts beeping at you incessantly
When will someone invent a chip card reader that isn't dog fucking slow? You'd think it was fucking 1983 based on how slow they are.

Other urls found in this thread:

cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/unattack.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Already been invented and in use for over 10 years in non-third world countries.

First world = US and allies during the cold war
Second world = Soviets and allies during the cold war
Third world = Countries with no affiliation to either US or Soviets in the cold war

You can try to imply that the US is a backwards shithole if you want, but calling the US third world is not the way to do it. It's just objectively wrong.

>words always mean what they used to mean
Nobody means Switzerland or Ireland when talking about third world, and second world is completely out of use.
In the common usage, first world countries are developed countries, and third world countries are shitholes.

>use contactless like everyone in sane countries
>takes 1 second

>Live in Australia, a first world country
>Go to literally any store
>Simply have to put my card near the machine for less than a second
>No pins, no signatures, everything is paid for
>Go on with my day laughing at people from America and other third world countries.

It's not like it has potential to be any faster than swiping.

> be dutch
> 16 million people on a good day
> any story has contact-less chips
> touch or hold near terminal for about 1 second
> have payed
> walk out
> laugh at backwards ass amerifucks using old ass systems

Are you stupid. The reader is fast. The slow part is the verification. The chip is decrypted by the bank to protect against fraud.
Those few seconds save you from having your identity stolen. Be grateful.

>Work at retail shop in Australia
>neckbeard comes up to register to pay
>As he pays he mumbles something about Americans and starts laughing to himself
>Everyone gives him a concerned look as he walks out laughing

>be non third world shithole
>have contactless payment since 2007 and chip readers since 2004
:^)

>live in third world america
>shitty infrastructure and planning
>too stupid to know how to move onto newer and safer tech

See you tomorrow.

The main problem is our credit card acceptance infrastructure assumed static track values. When you're using a separate credit card reader and you just plug it into internet it works fine. When you're expecting robust point of sale integration for sales tracking, single receipt with credit card auth and items charged on it, and easy ability to look up receipts/issue refunds, it gets a hell of a lot trickier to upgrade all the moving parts including the point of sale hardware and software (read: very expensive).

>live in fucking poland
>go to register
>tap card to terminal
>takes 1 second
>maybe wait 2-3 seconds or something for confirmation while you put your pack of cigs in pocket
>go out

how does it feel even real 3rd world countries are better than you in this aspect?

Chip readers are already fast. The issue is that a lot of stores are fucking cheap ass fuckers that still use dialup for their terminals which slows down the transaction a lot. Chip is as fast as mag stripe as long as the terminal has an ethernet connection and the internet connection isn't shit.

cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/unattack.pdf
>EMV, also known as"\Chip and PIN", is the leading system for card payments world-wide
>[...]
>We have discovered that some EMV implementers have merely used counters, timestamps or home-grown algorithms to supply this number. This exposes them to a \pre-play" attack which is indistinguishable from card cloning from the standpoint of the logs available to the card-issuing bank, and can be carried out even if it is impossible to clone a card physically (in the sense of extracting the key material and loading it into another card). Card cloning is the very type of fraud that EMV was supposed to prevent.
>[...]
>We found flaws in widely-used ATMs from the largest manufacturers. We can now explain at least some of the increasing number of frauds in which victims are refused refunds by banks which claim that EMV cards cannot be cloned and that a customer involved in a dispute must therefore be mistaken or complicit. Pre-play attacks may also be carried out by malware in an ATM or POS terminal, or by a man-in-the-middle between the terminal and the acquirer. We explore the design and implementation mistakes that enabled the flaw to evade detection until now: shortcomings of the EMV specification, of the EMV kernel certification process, of implementation testing, formal analysis, or monitoring customer complaints.

I live in a third world country and chip verification never takes more than 3-5 seconds. NFC is even faster.

Why is America so fucking shit with card technology?

There's nothing slow about it pablo. see

>paying with the plastic botnet jew

Stop responding to these retards. They either:

1) are to retarded to know any better, and aren't going to comprehend your response, or
2) know better, but are just shitposting and trolling.

Believe whichever one you want. I personally swing for number 2 90% of the time.

>tfw swiss, pay mostly cash
Niggers can't track me when I buy gipfeli and coffee

Further proof that Americans can't into technology.

>buy a few items at store
>walk up to cashier
>kid in his late teens
>he looks at me asking to swipe my card
>I pull out a $20 bill
>he just stares at my bill for a few seconds
>slowly grabs it and types some shit into his computer
>cash draw opens
>he starts panicing trying to get the right change
>he clearly is having issues adding up the coins
>tell him just to round down
>still gets it wrong and gives me a dollar less than it should have been,
>fuck it and just leave

I swear kids these days... back in my day the guy working that cashier was expected to dish out the change in seconds, faster than any card reader, no tracking, no spyware in my pocket. fuck these kids these days.

>get new credit card
>it has one of those "chips" europoors on Sup Forums keep raving about
>go to mcdonalds
>order two mcdoubles, a mcchicken, 20 chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and a mcflurry
>attempt to slide the chip
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
>60 more seconds for it to "verify"
>beeps when it's done
>go deaf from beeping
>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>have to tip the shooter
>he only accepts credit cards
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>get shot because I can't find the slot in time
>now $130k in debt from hospital bills
how the hell is this any better?

You damn well know that never fucking happened. I have no clue why idiots like you feel the need to lie and grossly exaggerate everything on internet forums.

That's not how it works buddy

You COULD just ditch the card and use your phone but American retailers seem to be afraid of NFC payments.
literally every other country is ahead of us in this regard. in any other developed country, you can walk into virtually any store and pay with your phone.

not here, though. nope.

phones are a bit clunky,
Unless you have it always on its another bullshit app you need to open and then allow the purchase

I just use the wireless feature built into the card.

>yfw your dumbass self realizes that it requires a proprietary software update and an update the retailer's drivers for their point-of-sale system to accept your EMV chip
>yfw your dumbass self isn't retarded enough to read the damn screen

It protects you from your card being cloned when you use it, but America adopted the shittiest system. Every sane country has had chip and pin for years. But in America they refuse to adopt pin for credit cards because the credit card companies want an easy way to prevent people from churning their points by buying gift cards

It did happen, go ahead and go to your local grocery store and watch as kids fumble with change.

chip and pin is largely being forced onto American thanks to Visa/MC/Amex.

Before chip and pin they basically ate all the fraudulent charges.
After chip and pin, any retailer that doesn't use chip and pin will be liable for the fraud instead.

So while is it not mandatory to have chip and pin at your retail POS, if you have a fraudulent charge happen at that location you get to eat the loss.
Card issuers probably saw no benefit in having chip and pin cards and plain magnetic stripe ones at the same time, so everything is being converted over.

Different POS have different liability shift dates, I think the latest is gas pumps which run into 2019 sometime before the liability gets shifted onto the operator/owner of the pump.

I live in the Netherlands and the phone is easier than anything. If I want to use my phone I only have to have it turned on (not the app, just the locked phone) and touch it to the terminal for 3 seconds.

>office supply store drone
>store has 1ghz Celeron IBM POS units from the early '00s running OpenSUSE
>dog slow, even worse when the data connection is slow
>connected to brand new card readers that are clock for clock faster than the registers
>result is the pinpad will occasionally tell the customer to remove their card before it's actually finished processing

>old people and young women inserting their cards upside down and backwards because they think the carrier hologram is a microchip

>people inserting their cards at an angle making horrible snapping noise

>workmen with bent and broken cards because they sit on their junk-fattened wallets all day like retards
>yes the chip still works you fucking automotive toolbag stop rubbing it with your greasy fingers before you put it in the machine

>store has a rewards program where you need to present your card at the register to gain points which turn into gift certs, which you must log onto the website to print out before using
>despite these instructions being on the card and every receipt, no one ever log onto the website to get their money
>people genuinely believe that the register knows who they are by their credit card number or simply because they've walked near to it, that we can print out their gift certificates, or that the rewards dollars are applied to their immediate purchase.
>several older people now have complained because to effectively use the gift certificates you need a computer, internet connection, and a printer or just a smartphone which everyone else is seemingly capable of doing but them

I swear to god, the next fuckwit to roll their eyes at me for suggesting they visit a website is going to get punched in the face.

My store accepts NFC and cardless PayPal though I think you have to have the PP debit card before it works.

Chip is, where in the US is pin a thing for credit cards? Which banks are issuing credit cards with a pin?

Seriously asking. Debit cards are NOT credit cards. Credit cards offer more protection (you're paying with the banks money not your own) as well as rewards.

>chip and pin
the two are together

>Credit cards offer more protection (you're paying with the banks money not your own) as well as rewards.
I agree with you, CCs offer an extra layer between your money and merchants/thieves

But each their own, different choices for different people.

It's an American can't into technology episode

Just like every episode.

>in use for over 10 years in non-third world countries
Im in Sup Forums's favorite country(3rd) and chip is mandatory here for quite sometime and doesn't take more than 1sec. Why are burgers spreading lies about the delay.

I don't agree with his sentiment, but yes it is. If you don't specify you mean the dictionary definition of something, people are going to assume you mean the colloquial meaning because that's the common usage. If you don't have this instinct, you're likely to be a poor communicator

Okey let me put it this way.
USA == Poo
Everything else == Gold

Is it clear now? Just how retarded can one be?
Third world means a shit hole and first world means paradise.

>Due to the complex history of evolving meanings and contexts, there is no clear or agreed-upon definition of the Third World.[1] Some countries in the Communist Bloc, such as Cuba, were often regarded as "Third World". Because many Third World countries were extremely poor, and non-industrialized, it became a stereotype to refer to poor countries as "third world countries", yet the "Third World" term is also often taken to include newly industrialized countries like Brazil, India and China (see also: BRIC).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

Fucking burgers, god.

SHART

IN

MART

But it's you who are implying this. How do you know it's not Mao interpretation, under which third world was exploited nations.

Pretty sure he was just a tard. I've never seen any cashier have that problem even if they are teens.

>walk up to checkout
>phone already in hand because waiting in line
>touch phone to register with finger over fingerprint sensor
wow that was hard

>Android pay: Limited bank support
>Apple Pay: Limited to eight cards, so I can't add my two debit cards and twelve credit cards
Both are memes and contactless is accepted barely anywhere in the states

was meant as a reply to

this. cash all day erry day. I hate using debit and credit cards in stores.

I would love to use cash too but yuro coins are a huge pain in the ass to carry around.

>this exact same thread again
why are you so fucking autistic, its not the technology but the backend. The reason it takes forever is because companies in your area are still using old tech instead of upgrading, the terminals are new maybe but they're still fucking running off whatever dialup trash they were before. Up north in the great north they work perfectly, its nearly instant and no issues, just like in the EU.

>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>have to tip the shooter
>he only accepts credit cards

This is why i waste my time here. I fucking love this place

>12 credit cards
no user, you are the meme

>go to dealership, buy new car
>do this every 3 years
how does it feel to be poor? now go clean some toilets or steal a car or something.

Would it not be smarter to clean some cars and steal a toilet?

It's your reaction time that is slow. Definitely not as slow as you're exaggerating it to be. Plus I live in the south where everything and everyone is a little bit slower moving.

Shithole countries are not synonymous with third world you suburban retard. The term for those is developing country. This is what everyone says, only uneducated Sup Forumstards think its called the third world.

Why'd you reply to me, I was arguing for you...

ITT american hate thread

fight me faggots

>twelve credit cards

Why?

Who implied the US?

Churner probably. Some people are way too into that shit. I can't be bothered, 2 cards is enough.

>put the card in right when i get to the machine
>dont have to wait for the complete retard operating the register to hit the total button once so the machine will start the process (yes, it really is this simple, on the swipe process if the idiot just presses the total button once it will let you at least start the payment process on the machine)
>leave my card in the machine and bag my own shit instead of letting retard #2 ruin my food
>recipt is ready to go and i gtfo out of there faster than i could before
its a better system and the only reason you're having a hard time with it is because you arent min/maxing your life and noticing that you can start your part of the transaction as soon as you get to the register

In some places, the cash register precalculates your change by telling you how many of each coin to give to the customer

literally no thought whatsoever

actually the chip is making a digital signature, which is then sent to the bank for verification because they have your card's public key

>I went to visit a friend in Phoenix and went to Best Buy for something.
>When I went to pay it put my card into the slot and got ready to enter my PIN like I would at home
>The guy looked at me funny and told me to swipe my card down the side and sign a piece of paper
>mfw America is supposed to be one of the most developed countries in the world yet they still act like it's 1992

I genuinely didn't realise that it was like this in America. I'm only 25, but I've quite literally never seen a payment made by cheque or swiping a card. Everything has been chip and pin here in the UK since I got my first debit card at eleven.
How do you live like that?

>How do you live like that?
By avoiding all the bullshit and sticking to the true masterrace, cash.

>tap phone to reader
>bleep
>hit ok
All my shit's paid for in under 5 seconds. Glad I didn't fall for the chip meme

>have debit card with chip
>insert
>wait 1 second
>confirm
>pin
>wait 5 second
>approved

I live in a shit country and I don't have that kind of problems OP

Maybe I just min/max my time too much.. counting my money, waiting for someone else to count my change... Fuck that. I can go through a self checkout with ten items and generally be last-in-first-out. If it takes me more than thirty seconds I'd be surprised. I've got the barcodes and scan-order pegged before I enter for easiest pick-up and carrying on completion (big flat things first, pocketable last), always grab the kiosk nearest the exit, my card is already accessible and it's the only contactless card in my (unshielded) wallet if I'm under £30. If it's a supermarket I frequent, I'll also know where all of the buttons are before they appear, prompting for bags used and methods of payment..
Other than airport security, it's the only thing I get autistic about on a regular basis.

Fun fact, large chains prefer card payments because it's cheaper to handle card transactions than pay the cost of transporting physical money.

>not knowing the hierarchy isn't actually
>Old World
>New World
>Third World

lol of course it's objectively wrong if you use the US definition you fuck

I work on the systems at several grocery chains and their card readers all have fucking problems like this. There's this particular one that fails to read the chip 8/10 times, and only allows swiping chipped cards after three failed reading attempts in quick succession. By quick I really mean it, if the user doesn't retry within five seconds the reader resets the count. I took a look at it once and couldn't find anything wrong with the hardware itself, and none of the other readers at this store have this problem.

Yes, the ones that have to dial up are slow as shit. Sometimes they even say "busy line" and tell you to try again.
Ethernet is really fast. The ones that use bluetooth connected to a smartphone's Internet connection are really quick also.

still 10 times more secure than stripe

>browsing 4jew.org in the first place

Is this an american thing?
I don't even ponder swiping because I don't remember the last time that was used. I also don't remember the transaction taking 10 seconds.

Also, you know you can just pay contactless, right?

Chips are quite new in America, and we haven't really had contactless cards for a few years, I don't even know if there are any new cards that even have it.

>now $130k in debt from hospital bills

>Chips are quite new in America, and we haven't really had contactless cards for a few years
What the fuck man, I thought all this card technology shit came com America, specially since you guys use credit cards so often.

I thought it was the other way around because apparently yurop has a much bigger issue with card fraud

I'm not into the subject but I didn't even knew there was a problem with card frauds.
Where I am I rarely see credit cards. We use debit cards, and they require a 4 digit pin.

It's not that the chip readers are slow, it's that there's a massive amount of latency between the readers and the authentication servers.

>i'm a bloody marxist that just gets up and changes meanings to words and expects you to read my decaying mind
>definitions are subjective therefore I'm always right

I feel compelled to leave a reply because this is so true

My local grocer recently upgraded to machines that do this. Most of the cashiers get pissed off at it because it has the ability to lock out individual drawers for each coin/bill depending on what it thinks you should give the customer. 9/10 times it will try to force the cashier to give you upwards of $5+ in change from dimes, nickels and quarters alone. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen and even the cashiers fucking hate it.

>and second world is completely out of use.

Not in the first world it ain't.

>using a method of paying with huge security holes present

If it wasn't for the fact that I already know the Abbos have already taken all your money I would tell you to enjoy having your identity stolen.

>Amerifats can't into chip and pin in 2017

Literally stone aged retards

It's chip and signature here

>security holes
nice jokes amerifats

You know what the method of payment with the most security holes is?

Cash, it can be stolen, robbed, pickpocketed at any time.

>chip and signature
>scrawling something random that nobody ever checks means it's more secure

kek

I never said anything about how secure it was, I was merely pointing out that America doesn't use chip and pin.

Why exactly? Pin is much more secure than random scrawl.

I really don't know