What is the best Linux distribution for developers?

What is the best Linux distribution for developers?

Other urls found in this thread:

yarnpkg.com/en/docs/install
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

void

Fedora

Ubuntu/Fedora

Fedora

Manjaro

Linus Torvalds uses Fedora.

Whichever you like most

Out-of -the-box, Fedora, Debian, or any of the Ubuntu derivatives.

But if you're a developer, you might not want out-of-the-box and might prefer setting up your own system and development environment. If that's the case, there's:

>gentoo: build everything from the ground up. tweak everything specific to your machine. every package is compiled from source with USE flags that you select; no bloat, but long compile times REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Arch Linux: kinda like gentoo in that you build your system from the ground up and select your packages, but without the autistic compile times and lengthy install (following the official wiki, you can be done in less than half an hour for the base system and less than 10 minutes for choosing a desktop and getting graphics working)

There are others like gentoo or Arch, but I've only used those.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I found Fedora to be my personal favourite for development. Ubuntu was fine also but I prefer vanilla GNOME and I find working with Fedora kernel updates to work much better.

Those brackets are disgusting

TempleOS. Ever get a segfault? Either you are a bad programmer or your OS needs more freedom.

why would you try to make java look like python shit that's disgusting

Not anymore.

It doesn't matter. Emacs is universal. Ubuntu 16.04 core + X + Emacs + EXWM is pretty decent setup. Noobs might opt for some other WM or even some shitty DE

Fedora

I confirm.
Manjaro is amazing. in 15 minutes I have prepared my entire workstation with minimal effort.

It's local repo is like arch's but more stable, and it has access to the glory of the AUR.

install gentoo linux
plis dont listen to those distrolets

Every developer I know runs Ubuntu. Except for the unemployed ones that use arch.

Linux for human beans.

GuixSD

Arch linux. One example here (look at linux installation page), Arch vs others:
yarnpkg.com/en/docs/install

It's **always** easier to install libraries/software for arch.

NixOS

Even if a developer chooses a simple OOBE distribution, he/she could customize it to his/her own tastes?

depends on what you are developing

underrated

Implying adding a few more words to the install command make it exponentially harder

Every user should get a popup to that image every time they come to gee

Void or Gentoo

gentoo
sage

Is this true? Booting is a system agnostic process? That's wrong. No such thing as distributions being geared to different groups? That's wrong too. inb4 splitting hairs.

Ew your coding style is disgusting.

emacs, but it lacks a good ide

Gentoo

what does he use now?

FreeBSD

Booting depends on the boot loader and init processes, so it's not system agnostic. Given the context I suppose one could read distro agnostic here.

>distributions being geared to different groups
He was specifically writing about "experts". And he's got a point there, since powerusers, experts, wizards &c. are not cleanly defined groups that gravitate towards certain distributions.

ArchLinux. E.g. if you need a library, it's easy to install from the repos or AUR versus million split packages on Debian.

Distro choice used to matter much more 15 years ago when desktop linux was just becoming viable and everyone was scrambling to write their own unique desktop environments and package managers to form a cohesive OS.

Now that all distros use systemd and feature the same 5 desktop environments, the only difference left is the branding, the package manager, and the "ideology".

People like to pretend that arch linux is "minimal" just because it results in you only having 200 packages in your screenfetch.
But the reality is that arch packages are fucking gigantic.
Every time you install a dependency library it also includes the dev headers and debug symbols and the source code too, even if you don't intend to use it.
But oh yeah, 200 packages feels so good~!

>distros use systemd
I beg to differ.

But otherwise, agreed..

>it has access to the glory of the AUR.

I only have experience with Arch based distributions.

Do other distributions really not have something similar?
Do their users have to manually download and install unofficial packages?

Also am I a n00b for using pamac to search for and install new packages? - the gui is so comfy.

n % 2 == 0

Unironically Ubuntu

Yes, the only thing added by using Arch is the amount of time you have to spend

any of them, even BSD works if you can churn out code.

>Every time you install a dependency library it also includes the dev headers and debug symbols and the source code too
Wait really? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

What's the problem?

I would say debian, choose which branch you want depending on how bleeding edge/unstable you want to be. Keep in mind that debians "unstable" will still be more stable than most distro's stable.

ubuntu

I know all that shit and I've never bothered to use anything else than ubuntu.

good post

Which DE, aside from GNOME, do Fedora users recommend?

Literally any of them. I use Arch Linux on my workstation.

OSX.

Beginners and dumb normalfags: Ubuntu
Wagecucks and enterprise: Redhat, OpenSUSE, debian and CentOS
Expert programming, kernel hacking ant top tier server usage: Arch, Void, Gentoo, Source Mage, etc

Yes, OpenSUSE basically has a AUR Website which i dont like becuase there isnt a way to use it from the commandline easily
So if you want to get all your software from "one place" the AUR is your only choice

I think its good idea to have same dev environment as your server environment

debian stable is good choice
CentOS may be better because of longer support

>Expert programming, kernel hacking ant top tier server usage: Arch, Void, Gentoo, Source Mage, etc
hahahahahahahaha

Manjaro

Windows 10

he spergs out about int conversion to boolean

TempleOS

% (int, int) -> int
== (int, int) -> boolean
what's the problem?

/thread

Nah, pretty much every distro worth caring about(not in the meme way, in the "used by more than maybe a hundred people" way) has a package manager and database from which to install packages.

The solus meme died and so soon will this. Just kill yourself my man.

In my experience Arch and Fedora are both pretty great. I like DNF over Pacman but AUR is too fucking convenient. I wouldn't use Ubuntu, many of its packages are fucking old(especially development libraries) and I had to compile shit by hand like I was some fucking Gentoo user without any advantags of Gentoo, so I got fed up and went to fedora, then switched to arch just to try out the meme and it turns out it's actually good.

probably cause n % 2 is going to be either 1(non-zero) or 0(zero). And == results in 1(non-zero) or 0(zero). Redundant but more legible. Compiler takes care of this anyhow

Good! No more unemployed, basement dwelling nerds spamming Sup Forums memes on the support channel.

kys

If you want to develop yet another notepad clone or ogg player for Linux retards - then your target distros should be all distros for retards - gentoo, arch, and their respins
If you want to develop yet another monitoring plugin for poor enterprise which uses Linux - then you need to target their preferred distros: centos and Debian (which is semiautomatically give compatibility with redhat/fedora and ubuntu, and all of their spins)

If you want to develop for African people - then Android is your target, and if you are African too - Linux as developer machine will be ok for you

But if you want to develop for normies - then you need to target Windows server/desktop and iOS and forget Linux

it's amazing that consumerists think the normalfag market is the big leagues, as if google isn't running on ten thousand linux machines

this
you can always tell who's knowledge of computing does not extend beyond vidya

OSX

>when stupidy is your major and you need to let everyone know.

What about mint?

install funtoo.
It is gentoo improved and fun too.

depends on your work, Ubuntu for easy stuff, Gentoo/Source Mage for embedded development, system engineering, etc

I used ubuntu and fedora in the past
now im on arch, got no problems

Mint is shoddily hacked together but it gets the job done I suppose.

t. Mintfag

Garbage, it's just ubuntu reskinned with more outdated package. If you like Cinnamon, it's available on Ubuntu

Ubuntu or Fedora. You can use them for any kind of development (desktop, server, web, embedded).

A few years ago I would have said debian or slackware. Now I am not as sure. Crux? Gentoo? Void?

wrong, it takes less time if you already know what you're doing because you're installing less packages than a one-size-fits-all distro. I think you meant to type "gentoo" :^)

He's back to using Fedora and Gnome.

Debian testing is pretty good

How much more unstable is unstable compared to testing?

Debug symbols aren't included. And I find that convenient. The hard drive can take it. I find the Debian philosophy of splitting packages to pieces good for embedded systems, where you have little space, but not desktop/laptop PCs.

Arch packages come with their source and the debug symbols included, debian and ubuntu have some retarded systems for packaging (for example the Elixir package in Ubuntu is broken because the devs tried to split the pieces)

Arch packages don't include the source or debug symbols (symbols are stripped). They include what typically a make install would install, so binaries, dynamic libs, static libs sometimes, man pages, licenses etc.

I'm currently on Debian Testing. Thinking of switching to Fedora. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Fedora compared to Debian?

Slackware with slpkg with all tge repos.

If something does not exist, you compile from source.

Something breaks? Delete and install from a different repo or something lmao. Or reinstall an old build.

can confirm

Linux from scratch if you want to understand how linux actually works from an operating systems perspective

ubuntu/a macbook if you just want to get things done in a sane development environment