What's the deal with gaming laptops? I'm thinking of buying a Dell i7567...

What's the deal with gaming laptops? I'm thinking of buying a Dell i7567. I've heard good things about the laptop itself but I've heard bad things about gaming laptops in general.

Anons with gaming laptops, how has your experience been? Is the heat really that unbearable? Did you laptop really go to shit after a few months of use? Would you recommend buying one?

Ayyyliumware M18xR2 here. Got it in 2012, and has hardly had a problem since then. The worst I've had happen is one of my RAM cards came unseated, and had to reseat it. No biggie there.

Maybe a little instability running very graphics-heavy games (for me it was Mass Effect series; I've got 2 Nvidia 680M's), but as an emulation station on Windows 7 Ultimate (NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/PS1-2), it's superb.

Note that my M18x is getting pretty outdated at this point, as it doesn't even meet minimum spec requirements for some of the latest AAA games, and replacing parts for it is pretty much impossible due to the space restrictions, and some parts compatibility. Keep that in mind with gaming laptops, you might need to get a whole new one after some years to play the latest games.

Also, I used to have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and it was alright, but it was a little underpowered for gaming at the time, so it's a little strange to see an Inspiron mentioned as a gaming laptop.

Get the gigabyte aero for your college program it's like a MacBook with a 1060

They're heavy, they're loud, they're overpriced for the performance they deliver, and they run hot. Gaming laptops are shit for gaming compared to desktops, and shit for laptop stuff compared to "normal" laptops. You just have to realize you're buying a specific niche product.

Got the Alienware 17 a few years back. Mostly got it because I didn't have space for a custom desktop, time to build, it looked nice, and a few other factors. I've had one issue from a bad driver, which was fixed quickly. It honestly is super durable, too. And as someone who loves warranties, oh gosh. I could run this thing over at 2 AM and they'd be out the next day to fix it at no cost.

Just remember it's still a laptop, so it might be pretty powerful for what it is, but it won't blow all desktops out the water. But I consistently get 1080p 50-60 FPS on most games, so I don't mind. A lot of people on my campus carry the alienware 14 or other similar sized gaming laptops and they love them. See them all the time.

The dell one is pretty good because it's only running a gtx 1050ti, so it won't overheat like a retard.

Do you actually plan to put it on your lap? I hope not. These things need to be set on a desk/table/bench with a stand under them so that their anemic cooling can actually do something.

The main reason to get something like a gaming/workstation laptop is if you can not have a desktop due to whatever circumstances. They're big, heavy, hot, and the battery doesn't last very long if you're playing games.

Otherwise you'd be better served with a desktop and a lesser laptop.

get a gaming desktop and a slim laptop

>gaming
>laptop

lel

dells are pretty good, I dont know why they even call them gaming laptops though. They're basically just ultrabooks with half decent gpu's, there's really no flash or stupid LEDs or any of that trash usually associated with "gaming" laptops. And I can't peak personally to yours, but I have the 7559, which I'd still recommend, but the one you listed was cheaper than mine was 2 years ago and has a better gpu, so it may be better to go with that. It has pretty good cooling/airflow, and all the fans/ram/hdds/etc are super easy to access (again I cant speak specifically to the one you listen but I imagine its similar). The difference from i5 to i7 is almost irrelevant since you'll basically never hit 100% cpu usage

Ill also add, the battery life I get on mine is better than pretty much any laptop I've ever used or seen. It drops to like 3 hours if Im playing games, but I get around 9 or 10 if I'm not

Just a heads up, the touchpad on these inspirons is shit.

I have a 7559 I got for school in September, everything else is great.

MSI GS70

it just werks

1-2 hour batery life

I have a 14" Gigabyte laptop because I like to travel and I'm a web designer. It was great when I first got it over 2 years ago. I do some light gaming on it. I keep it on a cooler or propped up.
Doesn't really get too hot, in the past 2-3 months the battery has been stupid. Used to last 3-4 hours with light use but now only lasts 20 minutes if I'm lucky. I don't use the touchpad and I like that it doesn't have a numpad.
I'd like to get something else though, was actually considering Alienware AW15R3 or ASUS ROG Strix GL553VD

>Alienware AW15R3 or ASUS ROG Strix GL553VD
Last night i bought the ASUS ROG GL753VD, for wish im willing to use for MATLAB/Simulink simulations. Its a i7 7700HQ and has an 1050 so i think it will handle good any graphic need that goes to design (im using it for computervision programs). The downside its that weight 3 kilos or more and with the powerbrick even more .
>> Why no a desktop?
It will be mounted on a golf-cart

Not that user, but
>It will be mounted on a golf-cart
wtf?

Doing MATLAB/Simulink simulations while... golfing?

Get a PS3 you fucking casual

actually using computer vision to control the golf-cart, and also, while golfing because why not.
And its simulation AND implementation* .

>golf carts bounce around like a motherfucker
Would recommend packing peanuts to keep components from jostling around, but heat would be an even bigger problem. As it is, sunlight alone will add heat to the system. I can't see this working well.

Already made a rig thats works like a steady-cam but for the size of a 17 inch notebook and dual 21" monitor. Also that is the reason for not using a desktop pc (weights about 10 kgs the one im using). The heating its not a problem because im using direct airflow to the pc (trough a normal A/C device). And right now the cam used are not hi-def or similar, only 640x480 and with and state-of-the-art algorithm used for compression (part of the uni thesis that im working) its not heavy on the processing side, but while its fast how im using a multi-cam approach (3 front cameras, 2 per side and 2 loking backward, and alo a kinect for ultrashort proximitysensor) i need something well packed.

Interesting. Post pics if available.

Sure, thats the car like 5 months ago in the summer. At that moment i was using an X220 running ROS over Ubuntu 16.04 (i bought it because le meme). However the x220 didnt have the graphical power to do the job so for that instant i was using just 2 ip cams and a kinect.

That 3820QM is good enough for Cemu?

What N64 Emu do you use?

Thats the connection stage, using an router i was able to control the cart using an android app running over Arduino, also that pic its from january.

>I dont know why they even call them gaming laptops though
Dell seems to position themselves as a no nonsense, regular folk company, so it would make sense to sell a laptop for gaming that doesn't look like a faggy gayming laptop.

...but...why?

3940XM, actually, and yeah, it's just good enough for CEMU. Fps isn't maxed by any means, but games like TPHD/WWHD are playable. Shouldn't be a problem.

That is the horrible cable management in the car but pulled the job. Now im working on the algorithm and control stage that will let the car respond to the environment.
All this approach its to make ultra low-cost autonomous car for being used in closed environment.

I used Project64 for a long time, and just had to live with not being able to play Rogue Squadron. Then I found Cen64 a little while back, which actually makes it playable.

I have an ASUS G750. It's a couple years old now but I still love it. God-tier cooling, 17" screen, only an 860M but it still plays most everything on max settings. It's pigfat heavy and I have a couple dead pixels now in the screen but otherwise it's in like new condition and I'll probably roll with it until it dies.

Via Android! HA! Controlling a golf cart via smartphone, that's cool.

>horrible cable management
No fucking kidding. I kind of expected it since there's exposed circuit boards there, but still. That just LOOKS ugly.

That said, if it works, it works.

How do they hold up during prolonged use? I have a hard time imagining somebody playing games non stop every day on a laptop

Not sure if you have Aspergers or are too deep into Sup Forums

M.Sc. in EE Candidate

I take it back.

This is just fucking cool, but I want you to answer this question:

Why?

if i just want a powerhouse laptop and don't plan on gaymen on it is it worth?

Neat; I feel better about buying a laptop with a 47/48xx series now.

Yeah, you should be good to go for emulation. Just don't try to run current AAA games on it; I've tried with a couple, and stuttering/low fps is bad enough that I can't play 'em, even on low settings.

Honestly, all i wanted to do its help the less-capable people (limb missing, blind, etc.) to be more autonomous. However at my uni some industrial conglomerate donate stuff and in some of that stuff they give to the EE department a golf-cart with the idea of making and autonomous car for their industrial park using line sighters. I take the opportunity to doit "in their terms" and actually lobby them enough to give me the freedom to do that what i wanted and the give me some money too. Im willing to pursue an doctoral degree following the same idea but amplified, and using fog-computing for collaborative robots in a "smart-city" approach.

neat project

I actually owned this laptop a few months ago (i7, 1050ti), and returned it because the fans spin up like mad for no reason even when it's not doing anything.

I found out from the customer support people that the motherboard directly controls fan speed, and increases the speed in proportion to CPU usage (rather than actual temp), so you can't use software to change the speed and it will spin up even when temps are low and you're just watching a video.

If you really want to buy it, tell customer support after you buy it that you want to return it, they actually offered me a $200 discount before I succeeded in getting it shipped back for a full refund.

(I ended up getting an OEM laptop by this korean company called eluktronics instead, fan speed is still loud but much more bearable than the dell)

I had the generation before this (i7 960m)
It ran great but it was falling apart after less than 6 months. Trackpad was loose, trim was loose, lid didn't fully close etc.