Language learning thread

What language are you learning, Sup Forums? Come discuss with others, vocaroo, get advice, etc.
Currently learning Korean. One of my biggest problems right now is how slowly I talk. To me, it sounds like a normal talking speed, but Korean people tell me that I speak really slowly, and I can only understand Koreans when they talk very slowly. Any advice?
Also, should I dump some language learning infographics?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!U8FmySxJ!B4JTRmz2mI4NCABeAYN-xg
youtube.com/watch?v=W4cEc9uasrg
youtube.com/watch?v=hYIBEj8m5So
youtube.com/watch?v=HVkOnINvIMA
youtube.com/watch?v=T3tj98HeBi4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm learning German. It isn't hard as people say.

Is it true that movies, music and TV can help you learn a language? I've tried, but I can never understand a single word, they may as well be making fart noises.

I started to properly understand English by watching TV shows and movies.

PS: Start with subtitles in your language, and when you are able to read the language you are learning (watching movies/shows is a good method, but it need to be combined with other things like reading news and things of your interest), switch to subtitles in that language. Make sure that the transcription is literal (sometimes the words used in the subtitles are different from the spoken ones).

what are some really good spanish shows? I don't want to watch a spanish-dubbed american show since it'll just be in the shitty mexican dialect

same here mate
easier than I thought

I believe what you're saying, but I don't understand how it works.
Here's a Korean kids show. I can read the subtitles and I can hear the words, but I don't know what they mean, except for a few words here and there. How does that help me learn the language?

Ignore my flag. I'm only visiting Poland.

I'm an American unironically learning Hungarian. Discuss

For Russian learners.

mega.nz/#F!U8FmySxJ!B4JTRmz2mI4NCABeAYN-xg

MEGA folder link

Holy shit, thank you.

Irish speaker here btw.

Hey, I'm of Irish ancestry as well. I'm looking to learn Irish after Russian. Is there anything I should know about it? I'm not planning on speaking to people obviously, probably just read books

That's a real general question.

Nualeargais.ie is excellent for grammar
Focloir.ie is an interactive dictionary

I'm not too sure about the duolingo course but I've heard it's okay.

Wouldn't thos partly apply to every language?

I do not tend to watch Spanish shows, but I've been told that Isabel is good:
youtube.com/watch?v=W4cEc9uasrg

I know good movies, tho.
Amongst the surrealist ones, you got "El Milagro de P. Tinto": youtube.com/watch?v=hYIBEj8m5So

And "Amanece que no es poco": youtube.com/watch?v=HVkOnINvIMA

A more normal movie is "No habrá paz para los malvados". You'll hear some latinamerican accents in this one, tho. youtube.com/watch?v=T3tj98HeBi4

Most well-known american/english shows have been dubbed in Spain. Those dubs will usually be listed as "Español Castellano" .

Well I finished the German duolingo tree yesterday. Was strange. Anyhow I plan on continuing it and visiting Austria when I take my Euro trip in a few years. Probably will also try Norwegian in the future. Both are great(besides the immigrants) countries

Sorry I wasn't specific, something else was on my mind. I meant in terms of if there was a specific dialect I should learn. Not extremely up to date with Irish.
Well yes to an extent but this has specific resources spelled out for people. Some people like that step-by-step instruction method, same for the /lit/ flowcharts I guess

Nope, any dialect and you'll be grand. There may be issues with ulster, slightly. Besides that you're okay.

Yes. I learned basic English from movies for the most part.

It might be more beneficial when you can understand the language a bit better. I'd imagine it's not that ideal as a total beginner.

I speak Spanish and my girlfriend is learning it. Isabel is a great drama for anyone who is learning Spanish. The English subtitle files can be found online if you torrent the show, and more recent seasons are on that one drama website with a bunch of Korean dramas. I forget the name.

>learning russian

you just dont

If you like history,mainly medieval history,tve has great series for free. Mainly Isabel and Pedro el cruel,which are very interesting. If you like documentaries rtve has a great collection for free. Rtve.es is a pretty good page to find content in Spanish of any kind from shows, to movies and tv series.
If you like humour,I used to watch a program called ilustres ignorantes( totalmy free programs on youtube) that was quite fun. But you may not understand anything at first. If your level is goodish I would give it a try,because in humour programs you will find more coloquial speaking and new expressions. Good luck m8

I know a bit of english, those helped me develop it

Well, you need a basic understanding of the language. And as I said, you need to combine it. With a lot of reading (Try with wikipedia articles that you are interested in, of topics you know, for example).

Of course, with a language like Korean it's much harder.
Spanish and English, for example, are in the same language family, which allows a much more relaxed learning. And it's easier to learn by comparing and understading the differences and similarities between the two languages.

If you liked Isabel you may like Pedro primero el cruel. Is older with crappy special effects,but the drama is subreal,as that king was half nuts. It is totally available for free in rtve.

>Spanish and English, for example, are in the same language family

except Spanish is Romance and English is Germanic you dumb fuck

French. I'm overjoyed with my progress. I couldn't speak a word of French, 5 months ago. A winter and a spring semester of French later and I'm about to finish reading my first book in French, I'm able to watch shows in French with relative ease, and can shitpost on /fr/ now. Speaking it is still very difficult though. Especially because I'm an autist who doesn't talk in class. I'm transferring this fall, so I probably won't be able to take another French course but I plan to continue studying it independently.

>Spanish and English, for example, are in the same language family
Please tell me you're only pretending to be retarded

Romance and Germanic are branches of the Indo-European family.

Go back to school, fucking gulag test tube babies. There's nothing worse than an arrogant ignorant.

so is fucking Albanian you idiot

besides there was never no language called "Indo-European" it's a fucking spectrum

That means fuck all.

Hindi and Farsi are also in the same language family as those two. Doesn't mean jack shit

When did I say there was a language called "indo-european".
I said it's a language family. And I'm right.
Holy shit. You really are stupid.

Indo-European, I mean he's not wrong but he's not the most precise. Plus English has a fuck ton of Latin loanwords

and how does one learn fucking Albanian as an Icelander, huh?

these are IE languages after all it's so easy

Please post the info graphics op.

I keep putting off starting Italian again. I just dont have the motivation at the late beginner stage where you have to start easy native materials.

I might try German on duolingo this month to see if that hooks me.

Like any other person, you goddam floor-wiper.

The difference is that, even if the language are very different, the general structure will never be as ayy-lmaoish as Japanese, Korean...

elaborate on those ayylmaoish features of japanese and korean

if the languages*

The topic marker, for example. And the phonetics.

Well I started learning German but I can't continue it in college, and it would have to be self taught from here out, and it's a bitch to self teach a language nobody around you speaks.

I was thinking of going with an easier germanic language first, like Swedish or Dutch.

ohoho you piece of shit didn't realise whom are you talking to I'm an actual phonetician

go on faggot amuse me with your armchair theories

Wait until you get to Dativ case. It gets harder.

I thought the same thing when I started.

I've tried to learn roman, german, and Japanese over the past 10 years and I fucking fail.

I can't read or write german but I can sing soldatenlieder and I'm fucking depressed.

Latin* not Roman.

Sorry.

Same man. Over the past 5 ish years I tried in this order

French (one year highschool)
Spanish (two year highschool)
German (1 year self teach, 1 year college)

And I can't even have a conversation in any of those languages that sounds even close to natural.

>mfw Polish "intellectuals" itt
don't even try arguing, they're shit at linguistics
there's this one who keeps saying he's a phonetician but he doesn't know jackshit

Anyways, started learning Portuguese a few days ago, started quite well. Doing it at the same time as German, next year I can take some free Japanese courses so I'll take that too and likely give up on Portuguese if it doesn't go too well.
Anyone got tips for Portukek?

I can't even speak English without stuttering and my only sole talent/skill is to type in english and I'm not even good enough at that so I should probably just kill myself

>yfw your learn a shitton of things of which you knew nothing a year ago

progress feel great. Don't give up you will make it eventually whatever your goals are.

oh look the bosnian stands on its hindlegs

good boy!

haʊ əˈbaʊt juː fʌk ɒf, jɔː ˈbæntər Jz ʃJt

Any Russian speaking opportunities in Tampa?

There's a Spanish movie called La Piel Que Habito. It's really good, totally fucked up though.
El Aura is a great [spoiler]Argentinian[/spoiler] movie.

just study everyday and listen to radio and speak with people, no other way around it

also speak something on vocaroo so i can hear your korean accent :>

t. learned korean

>non-allophonic IPA

cute

Fuck you faggots you're not allowed to learn things besides how the us won wwi-ii for you.

Speaking English is the first step. Even with stuttering you can manage learning new languages. You likely have hidden potential you're not experiencing because you're shutting yourself out, I have Asperger's and I stutter alot as well, but it's manageable and especially so in other languages.
I recommend giving a simpler language a try, German for instance is a bit too complex
>phonetician trying to be important
you literally can't make this shit up
linguistics is useless as shit and you're at the bottom of the pile along with semanticists
It's not that I hate linguistics, it's my favourite science, but it's simply useless.

>Please post the info graphics op.

most sciences are useless including math

I know how you feel. I just cant stick to a language and get past the beginner phase.

I was studying French but I stopped for three years and forgot everything I learned. All that time studying was literally a waste.

Don't study a language if you're not going to use it every day. There aren't any French people who are smart enough to talk to and French media is trash.

Depends.

Is that your view because you view the universe as a product of absurd or random reactions or that the visible universe and it's laws are just a hologram/can be easily manipulated? Those potentially make math and sciences as we know them today useless and meaningless.

There is a small Russian community near Tampa, as well as some restaurants in the Bay area. It's above average I guess in terms of speaking opportunities. Nothing super incredible though

>simpler language than german

I can't even finish learning English I'm American I'm too fucking retarded or whatever.

doesn't give you justifiction to look all smart, and besides, math can actually do something useful sometimes
either way you're still a dumbfuck

just the opposite of you my friend
I've every reason in the world to learn Russian but i'm just not into it

>I was studying French but I stopped for three years and forgot everything I learned. All that time studying was literally a waste.

It's like riding a bike. Start duolingo and it will all come flooding back.

English is simple, true
but you can find easier languages desu
just find something that makes you feel easier when talking, Finnish works for me but I doubt I'll study it in the near future

I don't have any friends to talk to.

But thank you for trying to help.

C'mon partner, you got this. Americans manifested destiny, don't feel bad about yourself. "I think as I am" ergo know that you are great and you will be greater than you could ever imagine

Lol if you find Dativ difficult then maybe you should just give up.

>math can actually do something useful sometimes
>sometimes
>most sciences are useless including math

well, I guess you guys live in a shithole for a reason.

also,
Jag tallar inte Svenska

I started learning swedish norwegian for whatever reason (and to have an easy time with swedish and danish afterwards).
Found a norwegian girl some years younger than me to talk about and extend my knowledge of norwegian (I also tried to teach her portuguese and spanish).
She insisted on coming here to fugg, but I had a gf. Cut my norwegian learning in half when I told her I was not interested ;_;

I wish constant false hope did actually work because then I'd be the anime gods emperor of the universe.

But no I'm just a stupid shit no one will ever notice and I'll be very learn anything practical or useful.

Alright.

>swedish norwegian
For fucks sake. Norwegian.

Fuck you cock learn to have some respect for the peope who let you win two world wars.

you act as if spontaneous production of meaningful sound strings by exactly one (1) species on our planet was something as natural as moss growing upon rocks

imagine you could just replicate it or even stimulate the process of entirely new forms emerging in an instant

linguistics is crucial and you can only blame Comte for turning all intellectuals into anti-humanist drones entirely disinterested in anything between their ears (with the sole exceptions of medicine men, because even technocrats catch cold)

it's not like you were even alive at either of those moments, bubba

>the fucking klingon duolingo course is closer to being finished than the korean course

Stfu stalin did your mother.

Can't stand these meme infographics

You know what they have in common? They're both useless and only nerds speak them.

t. a nerd

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate her?

Also, what was her age?

I'm more pissed about how there is no Latin

>teach meme languages like irish
>ignore the most patrician language of all

Well, we just need someone who is fluent in latin to create a latin course.

I feel like calligraphy is often overlooked in the vein of language learning.

Let us suppose a scenario, it goes like this: You are cordially invited to a friend's or neighbor's for whatever pleasantries it is that takes your fingers to tickle, you are getting familiar with the surroundings as, say, this is your very first visit to this generous person's abode. After the odd rituals you're peculiar about - or indifferent, such as taking off your shoes, the hugs and kisses and the touching - it's quite natural for your host to tell you to feel around and make yourself comfortable and you might gladly apply yourself in that respect - to an extent that common sense or decency allots you, as you definitely would not touch that delicate vase, you certainly would not wipe snot off the loveseat pillow, you are no savage, you are no stranger to man.

Now, I am only comfortable saying I know two languages, Arabic being the other. A couple of years ago I decided to take up a penpal: an undergraduate in Arabic from Michigan, with high prospects of moving to Bethlehem to continue his studies in the Holy Land. The man's hilarious, he impersonated a Jew once to get into a synagogue but made the mistake of showing pictures of it to his cab driver from Ramallah, tough situation, but I digress. I never got as far as to ask how long he had been studying Arabic, but when I did receive his letters he was too shy to write in Arabic (presumably because my undisturbed stream of chicken-scribble does not twin to how he "stutters" midwriting). His Arabic looks like boxes, mangled almost.

The problem I see with students of Arabic, and I do not know if this is universal, is how mechanical their alphabet looks to the native, even reproachable. It behooves teachers to devote time in a language course to teach people how to tame their letters and make them seemly, like elementary students. I think if a student can find a comfortable way of writing, they no longer see the language as foreign.

Started "learning" (just downloaded an app) the Korean alphabet. Too many similar sounds, I got easily demotivated.

rambling mess of a post
what the hell are you on about mate

you probably did the right choice learning a foreign language is too much of an endeavor to suceed without motivation.

Yeah, I just ramble.

Just wanted to see what people think about beginner's handwriting.

What should I move onto after completing French duolingo and memrise courses.

I'm learning Hebrew. I'm using Memrise and my textbooks, and the duolingo course should be coming out in 10 days which I'm really excited about .

The hardest part so far is a lack of free Hebrew TV shows and movies with english subtitles. Either that or I'm just not looking in the right places

Tried Anki?

bretty cool, soon you will be able to read any secret conspiration plan

Look for Jewlingo hentai or something