Sup Forums can you educate me on maths. I went though the wiki and downloaded all the books it lists...

Sup Forums can you educate me on maths. I went though the wiki and downloaded all the books it lists, but must of them I don't understand anything. Can you recommend a path I should follow?

Other urls found in this thread:

personal.soton.ac.uk/jav/soton/HELM/helm_workbooks.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFC
cims.nyu.edu/~naor/homepage files/integers.pdf
Sup
logicmatters.net/tyl
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction#Axiom_of_induction
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a simple advice for you. Do not be afraid to begin from zero. If a book states XYZ and you don't understand what XYZ means then go and learn the meaning of X then Y then Z. And when you go to learn the meaning of X and it states ABC, go and learn A, B, and C. Do not be afraid to go as low as basic elementary school math. You'd be surprised by how many things you missed thanks to the generally shit poor education when it comes to math.
Good luck!

what about when there is only bits and pieces of high school stuff you've forgotten. So you go back to fill those gaps but now suddenly everything seems important so you just decide to study everything for the heck of it as a revision. But then the shit just never finishes and you never get to the good stuff. It just depresses you and you sort of give up.

Complete all of Project Euler

>It just depresses you and you sort of give up.

If you are that much of a pussy when it comes to learning something that will help you make a somebody out of yourself one day then I suggest that you drop out. Nothing is easy in life.

Likely to be stuck as elementary maths is based on some complex proofs. For example 1+1=2 1+2=3 1+3=4.... is based on some very complex inductive proofs.

It's not that complex. 2 is just a shorthand notation for 1+1. Adding 1 just gives you the next symbol, which is 3 and so on.

This guy:
gets it. The root of most difficulties in mathematics are set in misconceptions of the fundamentals. Early life mathematics education is terrible, not least as it starts with applied mathematics rather than the foundations of algebra (and numbers) - so you end up developing (or not) an intuitive grasp of how numbers work, without understanding what they are.

Following on from this, they then try to describe more complex mathematics (differentials, logarithms etc.) by rule and analogy - unable to explain them from first principles are you never learnt the foundations of algebra.

So yeah, if you're confused go and look at what confuses you, do not be afraid to go down to first principles. For examples and solutions (applied) you may want to look at the HELM workbooks (mainly aimed at engineers, but generally good for anyone trying to learn mathematics). You can find them here: personal.soton.ac.uk/jav/soton/HELM/helm_workbooks.html

Finally, make sure you get your brain working in terms of algebra - I've noticed people have a mental block when they're not 'working with numbers'. This is completely artificial, you do not need to work in numbers, but you do need to understand what an algebra is.

Take a look at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFC
You won't understand that, but eventually you will - the point I'm looking to illustrate by showing it to you is that mathematics is a symbolism governed by axioms. It is not inherently meaningful, it does not add meaning or definition to a statement, it only expresses logical relations exactly AND is self consistent (on the whole) such that you have a process of formal derivation and proof. Do not imagine mathematics to be more or less than it is.

This appears to be a relevant set of notes on foundations of algebra an integers: cims.nyu.edu/~naor/homepage files/integers.pdf

all problem above 100 are crazy hard and can rarely be bruteforced

This deserves a screencap.

if i was a pussy then why would i get obsessed with studying everything. What a retarded simplistic post though from somebody who thinks nothing is easy in life.

How do you justify that as you keep adding one to a number it increases without it purely based on a flimsy inductive assumption?

Start all the way from the beginning on Khan Academy

Thanks man!

>if i was a pussy then why would i get obsessed with studying everything

Probably because you thought it was easier than it actually is. Then you found out the hard way, then you pussied out

I know that feel.

Still don't know what shit like quadractic formula (b^2 - 4ac) is good for. I never, ever applied it to anything but math tests

How do I learn formal logic?

Whenever I try to read algorithms papers they're filled with thick notation I can't make any sense out of. I have no idea what it's about or what meaning it's trying to communicate. I've been told that academic authors get paid to write unreadable papers, and to learn formal logic.

I want to implement and possibly modify the algorithm, add additional semantics to it. I assume that would require parsing that notation, understanding it and finally extending it in a way that remains consistent. Is this how new math/algorithms papers are born?

Hey man, check out Precalculus mathematics by Simmons. It covers all the basics and then expand from there!

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Precalculus

I know calculus and most of those symbols still don't mean anything to me.

read a book on proofs

That sounds awfully boring, user-kun

You don't teach kids how to count starting with Peano's axioms for the natural numbers the same way you wouldn't appreciate learning about the integers as the initial object in the category of commutative rings with identity. That's not how our brain works.
The abstract way is good and necessary, but only after a certain point.

logicmatters.net/tyl

Im not op but thank you all for impact, i Will be sure to use information itt

>formal logic
I really liked Mendelson's "Introduction to Mathematical Logic". Covers propositional logic, first order logic, basics of set theory and arithmetics (enough for Gödel's theorems) quite nicely. There's also part on computability in the end, though I kind of skipped it.

The Quadratic Formula will tell you where a function in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c crosses the x-axis or in other words when ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

The quadratic formula is important because it gives a solution to second order linear equations.

1st Order: f(x) = ax + b
2nd Order: f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
3rd Order: f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d
And so on...

Side note: Notice that a parabola f(x) = ax^2 + c is just a 2nd order linear equation where b is 0

>working through Khan Academy
>realize that all these concepts make a lot more sense and are actually related to each other when you're working through it at a reasonable rate instead of spending a month on something you can learn in 2 hours

Public schools are shit.

might as well be speaking arabic, bruv

you justify that with an axiom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction#Axiom_of_induction

underestimating the time required to finish something is pussying out apparently. It's so much safer to replace the i's with you's, in other words projecting much.

Hume, pls. Induction, while definitely flawed, is a useful tool.

take a discrete math course.

Who cares about solving polynomials
Haven't done that since forever, not once was it in a real life situation
Can you show me an example of this being used in real world every day matters