/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops/1662009.p?skuId=1662009
amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WYKKEPTQY5T1&coliid=I1A4M4TJHG5BKA&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/VNFwXH
amazon.com/dp/B007H29FPA/?tag=pcpapi-20
pcpartpicker.com/list/kCYp4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/wz4XGf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315779
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>heroes of the storm
>starcraft 2
>civ 5
>other not too demanding shit
>on a budget
rx 550? Or should I wait and see how the rx560 turns out?

You can get by the with 550, especially if you are willing to turn down graphics settings on more demanding games.

>posting misleading statistics

wait so then why is the 2016 2tb barracuda the besty rated drive?

do you need a mount for your SSD or do most modern motherboards allow you to mount it without a 3rd party mount?

I want to get a SSD but on amazon some come with a mount and some don't.

Asking again.

Can someone reccomend me a good mATX case? I'm building an mATX computer for the first time. Will take any suggestions.

you only need to run a SATA cable to your motherboard

the mounts that come with some SSDs allow you to fit a 2.5" drive into a mount designed for 3.5" drives. most cases have enclosures for 2.5" drives so they're usually not necessary. check your case.

budget?

Look for sales on the RX 460; it is faster than the rx 550, & often drops to $70 with MIR.

Around $50-$70. Willing to go higher but won't go above $100.

Fractal Design Define S. Worth every penny.

bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops/1662009.p?skuId=1662009

Is this for a desktop too

It says "for laptops" so i'm confused

it's for both.

it's also overpriced. get it from amazon.

Please critique my build /pcbg/

My goal is to build an entry-level gaming PC for under $1000AUD, with decent scope to upgrade in the future.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions in the past couple threads.

this is the first time I see a build on here and can't think of anything. good job.

Awesome, that's the best feedback I could've hoped for. Thanks.

But Amazon has it for the exact same price

amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WYKKEPTQY5T1&coliid=I1A4M4TJHG5BKA&psc=1

Cooler artic cooling 33 or cooler artic cooling 12 CO? For ryzen cpu. Tight budget and i have only options between those 2 because i live in shit country

Also is corsair 650 w enough for ryzen.and rx r480? Thanks in advance

looks ok, but try to find 2x4 RAM if you can.

Ok sure, pardon my ignorance but why is that better than 1x8?

If you're on a tight budget then why are you buying a Ryzen X? Get a cheaper chip, the free cooler, and clock it.

>Also is corsair 650 w enough for ryzen.and rx r480?
Way more than enough. You could conceivably come down 100W and still not trouble a decent PSU.

I already got ryzen and rx 480, whats left of budget is very tight, so which would you prefer over those 2 coolers i posted?

>why are you buying a Ryzen X? Get a cheaper chip, the free cooler, and clock it.
There is no non-x version of the 1400x and 1500x

>Also is corsair 650 w enough for ryzen.and rx r480? Thanks in advance
even 500w is enough

When you have 2 sticks (or more) of RAM, you get the benefit of dual channel: double the bandwidth. There usually isn't much of a price difference between 1 vs 2 sticks (for a same total size) to justify picking one. It benefits pretty much everything you do slightly, even gaming.

Looks good, could downgrade the PSU to a 500w if you want to save further money.

Sounds like someone fell in to the 1600X trap.

I agree I could do with less watts. Someone told me not to buy Corsair PSU, but they're the only cheaper ones on PcPartPicker Australia. Are Corsair PSUs really so bad?

>Are Corsair PSUs really so bad?
Some are some aren't. Reviews are your friend, user.

I'm running a Corsair CXM 650W for 8 years now, zero issues.

Not really a build but a repurpose for my old PC.
I want to turn it into a file server and seedbox. Which means I need it to run quiet and up all day. I'd also like to put it in as small a case as possible.

Current spec:
>i5 4570, stock cooler
>MSI B85M-G43 (mATX 245*245 mm)
>Corsair VS450 PSU
>1 3.5" drive and 2 2.5" drives

What kind of cooling should I set up for this, and what's the smallest case for it?
Budget is maybe $80

I had 2 toshiba 3tb, one failed in a month
1 Seagate failed im a year
1tb WD i bought in 2009 still works, 55000 hours on

>WDC being that high

But what of the Seagate meme?

The VS is bad (but not blow-up-your-machine-even-while-not-under-load bad).
CX and TX series are meh.
RMx, HX, and AX are tier 1, A+, whatever other terms you want. Of course, they don't make them themselves, so things can change if the OEM changes, but as of now they're about as good as you can expect.

Remember to only buy the grey labeled ones. The lines with colors are old, and some are really bad quality.

>What kind of cooling should I set up for this, and what's the smallest case for it?
File servers and seedbox don't need enormous amount of cpu, even those running windows.
Try to downclock heavily the i5 for power saving & heat reasons. Putting a custom fan curve to lock the fan to extremely low rpm as long as it's under 60°C would be pretty easy to do, and in fact you could even just unplug the fan (but leave it there for the heatsink) and have acceptable temperatures, assuming you have heavily downclocked the cpu and assuming the mobo lets you touch the cpu voltage.

Will this play bf1 on ultra?

Buy a R5 1600 and get a better graphics card.

I'm new to PcPartsPicker. Is anyone else noticing duplicate parts for totally different prices? I just shaved almost a hundred dollars off my build, going back over each part I'd selected and often finding the exact thing cheaper, just further down the listing.

>not sorting by price and setting filters

Ok guys having some old hard drive into new build confusion here.

Will I be able to reinstall windows on a new hard drive and still have everything else look/run exactly on the new build as it was on my current PC? If I reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive what happens to the old install of windows that was on there before, will I need to manually delete that? Will windows 10 automatically detect my old drivers and delete them and install the new ones?

First time I've moved an old hard drive to anew build without fragmenting/wiping it clear beforehand. Shit's confusing yo.

I plan on playing Resident Evil REmake and 0 remaster on this as well as emulate Dolphin and PCSX2. I don't care about cemu.

Budget is ~$800
How will this do? pcpartpicker.com/list/VNFwXH

Usually has to do with older/newer version of the same model having different part #s. When this happens the old part# that is no longer being manufactured tends to gradually increase in price from resellers who are hoping to catch suckers, whereas the new parts stay at proper market price.

This become obvious when looking at discotinued products that PCPP will list as 5x+ the original price.

If you have a retail copy of windows, you shouldn't need to reinstall the OS.
You should uninstall all drivers and reinstall the new ones necessary. Windows isn't going to pull your new GPU driver out of thin air.

old hard drive* not new one

I'm swapping out the mobo and cpu from a i5 3570K to a Ryzen 1600 though, I heard that'll be too big a jump to run without re-installing windows

I'm buying an SSD but I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to types. I'm looking at a 2.5" version and a M.2 version of what appears to otherwise be the same thing. Is the M.2 typically a superior option? They are essentially the same price btw.

Completely fucked that linking up there, just swap the posts around.

So basically if I need to, I can reinstall Windows 10 on my old hard drive sitting in the new build then download the rest of the necessary drivers myself without any issue?

I'll see if it can cap it at 1.5GHz.
Should I use something other than a stock cooler? The fan is always on by default, it'd be nice if It's more quiet at lower speeds.

If you have a Retail copy of Windows, there shouldn't be an issue. Why would you need to reinstall the OS if the only thing that's changing is the hardware underneath it? Why can't you uninstall the drivers now, swap over, and install the new ones?
If your copy is OEM or a W10 digital license granted after upgrading from 7, you may be legally boned, and MS will demand you buy another copy of Windows.

M.2 is just nice because it doesn't need any cables, but you have to be careful to make sure your motherboard will have the right socket type.

2.5" will work on any motherboard made in the last 6 years at least.

Performance-wise there is no difference.

Should I upgrade my i5-2500k OC'd at 4.5ghz?

I only plan on 1080p gaming and I'm going to get either a RX 480 or GTX 1060.

Yeah I'll be upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. I heard that swapping out the mobo and cpu will often times require a reinstall of Windows. Swapping out a GPU etc is supposed to be fine but apparently swapping from intel to AMD and changing motherboard etc. will require a new install.

I'm going to be using a friend's Windows 10 USB, then just not activating it or activating via crack. Will that work?

No. Unless you want a newer platform.
I myself have a 2550K. I pored over the benchmarks to see what my CPU could support without bottlenecks while completely OC'ed, and the limit was the RX480/1060. There is occasionally a bottleneck there, but it's very slight and not constant. With DX12, it will be even less of an issue.
Only upgrade if you're looking at 1070-class performance.

>using hard drives for anything other than external backup solutions
ishygddt

Rate my first build guys, pc masterrace here i am :D

>will require a new install.
iirc, you don't really need a "new install". You copy just ceases to be "legitimate" and isn't activated once the microcode in the motherboard doesn't match what's in their servers. The machine still turns on and can be used, but it will nag you to buy a copy.

Is this a good cpu? Why is it so cheap?

amazon.com/dp/B007H29FPA/?tag=pcpapi-20

I'm using a 3rd world currency. An MSI 580 8GB is currently priced at 773 ($430). I saw Sapphire 580 8GBs going for ~660 ($367) but they're currently out of stock. Are the extra 113 ($63) worth to pay for the MSI model over the Sapphire one?

Would a single fan header handle at least 4 or 5 fans rated at 0.20A?

Because even a $40 celeron beats it in single core performance.

Fuck no it's not, a difference that large is ridiculous in all but a few cases.

I showed Sup Forums my build and they bullied and teased me. what is wrong with it?

It's a Xeon, single core performance doesn't matter, those are used for servers, video editing or 3D rendering.

>ryzen
>amd video card
>G.SKILL ram
>using a 212 heatsink from 2010

I pointed out a few things wrong

>16gb of ram is nearly $200
holy shit what the fuck happened

Acer KG240 24" Full HD FreeSync Display Monitor

Is it worth it?

get non-X 1600
get a B350 mobo
ignore the shills

>HOI4
>Civ VI
>Other strategy games
>first time build
This shit be CPU demanding but all budget builds are GPU oriented. What do? Ryzen?

this is my other possible build. look how much more it is

I think the RX550 is terribly overpriced. It should be a $40-$60 card but is instead $80?
You could get an RX460 on sale for $60-$85 pretty often.

The RX560 is more worth the money if it winds up being $100 or slightly over, even if it's overkill for your needs.
Also consider a 1050Ti if it's on sale like $100-$115. They're not worth it at $130+.

Smartphones.

Don't listen to that intel shill, the Ryzen is a perfectly capable CPU. If your alternative is an i7 7700K then I recommend getting the Ryzen 1700K or 1800K. Other than that the build looks fine.

It may be worth waiting to see how the Vega performs before getting the graphics card, though if it doesn't then the 1070 is a good alternative, it has some compatibility issues with Ryzen on a few games but nothing really worth disregarding for

Flare X happened
Get samsung 2400 sticks and OC. it's literally all the same chips, samsung just does not test at voltage above 1.2
Either go all out on Taichi/Crosshair for dem VRMs or don't bother with X370. B350 has the same overclock options.
>NZXT
>EVGA

1600X is a waste of money. If you want Ryzen 6 core, go 1600.
Do you actually need X370, or are you buying it "just in case" and never actually make use of it?
Buy cheaper memory. Infinity Fabric benefits (like everything does), but not enough to justify 3200, imo. Go 2667.
The 580 is a poor choice over the 1060, with its obscene power draw in exchange for case-by-case improvement.
Pretty sure you can get the Supernova G3 for the same money, no?

>Spending $80 on a heatsink to keep Flaming Lake under control

why do people do this

How prominent is the AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU bug? One user yesterday said it was "rare" and only noticed in rise of the tomb raider and rocket league, but I'm still on the edge about this. Trying to pair Ryzen 5 1600 with GTX 1070

Well Sup Forums is retarded.
Though that's not bad.

I'd change the cooler to a non-meme one that is quieter. CM pro air 4 or whatever the fuck it's called, or the Cryorig H7 if you can wait for them to mail you a bracket.
Le Grand Macho is a good option which comes with a bracket if you'd like a fuckhuge heavy heatsink.
That RAM is super expensive. Yeah it's verified at those speeds for Ryzen but.. I'd get something cheaper even if it might only run at 2933 and maybe only 2666 for a while.

And you could use those RAM savings to get a 500GB+ SSD.

I want to upgrade from my shit setup (i7 870, HD7870) to a Ryzen 5 1600 + ASUS Dual OC 1070. My only concern is that the CPU could act as a bottleneck. Would that be the case here?

I mainly play Overwatch which is not an intensive game by any means. I want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor and eventually SLI.

can you give me examples of ram that use Samsung 2400

So I need a pc part list making since I have no idea where to start
>linux support (fedora)
>gaming (CIV, CS:GO, GMOD, RUST)
>£1000
>all parts on amazon UK (prime)
>The smaller the better
>quite a hot room so cooler is also better
post a bitcoin address with your list and if it looks good and meets spec I'll give you a fiver in bitcoin

I mean THE samsung ram like M378A1K43BB2-CRC

>Spending $80 on a heatsink to keep Flaming Lake under control
>why do people do this
Because they have no other choice. delidlake needs a $80+ cooler to keep it cool.

Seems to happen the majority of times with games using DX12, Vulkan, and Gameworks, but not all the time. I have not seen cases of it causing a problem outside of those.
Rocket League was another example, but I heard that one got fixed already. That one was DX9.
There are definitely many more cases than just Tomb Raider.

I'd really wait for Vega. Even when it does work fine, like in BF1, AMD still has better frame pacing.
Frame pacing is more important than averages as long as you're over 60.

Do we have a release date for the vega yet?

We just know it's Q2. So within 2 months. Hopefully May. Pretty sure google should say that. It's been known it'd be Q2 2017 for like over half a year now.

I urgently need a good budget laptop under 700$

>Requirements:
Fast w/SSD and preferably and i7, but an i5 would be fine
Fuck the graphics, I don't care
Good battery life
Portable

Pls help, very thanks

Having trouble deciding on a good B350 mATX motherboard to pair with a Ryzen 5 1600 + RX580 (TBD)

Is the MSI Mortar Arctic solid? Seems like it has good build quality and decent features plus I'm going for Black/White color scheme.

Well I just started getting into pc building a month ago so I didn't even know what i was doing up until now. Besides, there's always the price problem looming since my current build is already stacking up to $1200 in >fucking leaves

If you're the guy I recommended Lenovo to earlier I stand by that. And many around here will praise the Thinkpads particularly.

Would it be better to invest in Seagate HDDs or Western Digital HDDs based on the failure rate of that chart posted a few posts after the OP?

First PC build here and have a couple questions.

This is what I have picked out so far...
pcpartpicker.com/list/kCYp4C

I have some friends in the know that are pushing for an intel, but all over the board i see people shit on them. I am interested in power, and can pay a little more for it. I am near computer illiterate so im a little scared of over clocking. Could you help me out? what I want to do it...

Gaming over 144 fps AAA titles.
I need to use the case in the link, already own it, like it, but its empty.
I need to be able to pick everything up at either FRY'S or Microcenter since I absolutely need a PC by saturday, unless the parts can be found cheaper on amazon.

I also MUST use Windows 10 of some kind for work. Which one do you guys recomend. I have been using 10 home since it came out, but I would consider moving over to Pro. Dont yell at me for windows plz no bully.

Thanks in advance /pcbg/, im sure you are flooded with noobs like me, and your wisdom and time is greatly appreciated.

Good digits

>$200 for a 24" 1080p monitor in 2017

Lol no

Forgot TB hard drive, sorry.
pcpartpicker.com/list/wz4XGf

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315779

15 inch may or may not be portable to you.
I have no idea what the battery is like.

>77777
lucky

Why 1080p? Why not 1440p?

>I need to be able to pick everything up at either FRY'S or Microcenter
This is a requirement too hard to help you out on since we don't know what's in stock at your fucking microcenter or frys you tard

What better options are there for 144?

Thanks for the recommendation and for the quints, yeah, I'm that guy, unfortunately I can't seem to find that one in my country
This one also seems very good

Why isn't the GTX 1070 worth ?

If you are looking to save money, buy a prebuilt with standardized components. You will save a shitton, and the only thing holding a machine like it back is a better PSU. Can sometimes see 7th-gen i5s at $400.

I'm wanting an upgrade on my graphics card because the 200 series I have is pretty shit. I was looking at a 570x, but I'm not too sure what would be the best as I don't want to end up bottlenecking a new card too bad.

My purpose is gaymes on Steam and I have around 200 to throw at this

>need a new pc
>see prebuilt pc for $1000
>want to save some money
>pick the cheapest similar parts i can find on pcpartpicker
>$950
what reason is there to build nowadays?

>This is a requirement too hard to help you out on since we don't know what's in stock at your fucking microcenter or frys you tard

Sorry mate, finger got ahead of me. im located outside of Duluth / atlanta. I can check whenever a part is recommended to see if its in stock, i can do some of the legwork. Again, my apologies.

They don't tend to perform any different. Theoretically M.2 will be faster in the future, but no one is making them that fast yet.

If you get to choose between the two, I'd get the M.2, just because it won't take up a Sata slot or a drive bay.