Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3072C720775B213E
automatetheboringstuff.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't start with python.
C# is much easier

Just read the documentation

Lisp or you're not a real programmer

If you insist on Python then How To Think Like a Computer Programmer is good.

Derek Banas on youtube, he has a few tutorials and the ones i watched were all very helpful

Here's for python:
Python Tutorial: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3072C720775B213E

>nazi frog
>white power hand gesture

Shill detected jidf pls

don't start with python, it's the worst language to start with

what good then? C# ?

Sup Forums hates Java, but it will teach you structured programming like no other language. Since it's so popular there's a ton of support (but also a lot of shitty guides)

everyone here shits on javabut it is the best mixture of "hold your hand" vs. "learn how actual programming control structures work". just do yourself a favour and learn something else after

python is a language that is made mostly of quick and dirty shortcuts that will teach you a lot of bad habits if it is all you know.

Definitely don't start with python.
What said about python is accurate. You don't want to be using sort() before you learn how it works. Java is good for learning because it hides this behind classes like ArrayList that you will naturally implement yourself before using built-in, since it is not so deeply ingrained in the language like it is in Python.

Why not start with Python? It's intuitive, easy, has excellent support and is easily becoming the useful important programming language, at least for computing science. I started out with self-taught C++, about to graduate with computing science degree... C is still my preferred language, but I would definitely recommend Python as the first language for someone wanting to learn programming. Only reason why I'd recommend starting with C/C++ is getting accustomed to strict syntax and being forced to learn how low-level computing works, where Python "hides" the complexity by making things seem simpler than they are. As for Java, I really wouldn't recommend it for any reason other than it being syntactically similar to C, dying language...

automatetheboringstuff.com/

Don't use python. Start with C++ or else you won't learn properly. It's faster to learn than to have to unlearn and learn everything

don't start with python

c++ is a pile of garbage. just acknowledging it's existence is a mistake.

rust, bby

Except for being the most efficient high-level object-oriented language there is...

Seriously though, why is everyone hating on Python as a first language? It doesn't have the same steep learning curve as a lower level language, and will still teach you all the imperative programming basics like variables, functions... Seems like the perfect beginner language, and on top of everything it's so widely used and generally useful.

it being OO is reason enough to not use it

I personally preferred to learn on a typesafe language, which is one of the main reasons I suggested Java. I think a typesafe language like java teaches lower-level thinking, and in general when learning programming it is definitely better to start low, then work up to more abstracted languages. Also, Java's philosophy of "everything is an object" just happens to be a great mental picture for the organization of code. (Of course, this can be easily overdone and lead to unnecessary classification, but not for a beginner) The learning curve on Java is not steep, especially thanks to its handy abstraction of pointers. They are still there for later on, but easily ignored in the beginning (unlike c/c++. Some say pointers are fundamental and should be explored in the beginning, but I think Java strikes a good middle ground, unlike python)

Yes.

Actually the most shitty implementation of OO in any language.

PYTHON WILL GIVE YOU BRAIN DAMAGE AND MAKE YOU USELESS AS A PROGRAMMER FOR LIFE

Sorry man, but OO is clearly the most efficient way to program for the future. Functional programming has its uses, as do LISPs, but if you could only learn 1 style and get a job, OO is the way to go. Especially considering that OO and functional programming do have some overlap.

Please tell me of a better approach to designing programs with complex system architectures than OO?

Also OP best advise I can give for learning is to give yourself an easy but fun programming task, e.g. simple text-based game or some utility program that's useful to you, and find out how to write it. My recommendation is still Python, or C/C++ if you would rather spend longer really understanding programming at a deeper level from the beginning.

I have been suggesting Java in this thread OP, but let me revise that: If you are learning programming as a hobby (NOT FOR A CAREER), then go for Python. It has the most nebulous usage of any language I can think of.
If you are learning programming for a career, do not use python. You will come out like a failed abortion. For this I would recommend Java, and I've already said why.

As I already knew C when I learned Java, I immediately hated it... However, I can see the benefit in learning lower level thinking without having to go face-to-face with pointers early on. Black pointer magic is probably still my favourite thing about programming, but it definitely did take me a while to understand them completely at first.

GENERAL, GENERAL

>autistic screeching
wtf is wrong with you

For my final cents, I just want to point out that mastering Python can be incredibly useful in several fields. For example in machine learning and artificial intelligence research, it is becoming the de facto standard language. Simple and quick to write programs, and you can outsource all the intense calculations to faster languages like C. I used to hate Python (probably for some reason as most here), but writing an artificial neural network from scratch in C and Python made me change my mind... If you want to become a software engineer, however, I agree that learning Python first could give you a lot of bad habits and poor understanding.

OP, I know programming language choice wasn't even your question, but here's a summary of recommended languages based on my own opinion and those expressed in this thread:

Python: Easy, quick progress, you will actually be able to write useful and fun programs very early on, you will learn very relaxed syntax and dynamic typing which you may make thing harder later on, and you will not be exposed to the underlying mechanics of computers

C: Steep learning curve, strict syntax, very powerful and efficient, learning any other programming language after this will seem easy, if you want to understand underlying mechanics of computers immediately do this - C++ is almost identical and will probably make your life a bit easier

Java: Similar syntax to C, but simpler and friendlier. If you want to eventually learn C, but want to start out with something easier, go with Java.

Alternatives: If you're a crazy mathematician, go with a functional programming language. If you just want to hack people without being pro learn Javascript and PHP. If you want to become one with the machine, learn assembly code.

Ignore all the autistic retards here. There is no reason in 2017 to waste your time learning how all the underlying components of a program work, when python handles all of that for you. If you want to find a program that you can understand, & get to building cool & useful applications relatively quickly learn python

If you are only writing code as an amateur, you are correct. if you are learning to be a professional, you better damn well know the underlying concepts.

>If you want to become one with the machine, learn assembly code.

Have any examples of people becoming one with the machine? I would like to see this?

The best example is probably DOS, which was written in assembly. Those guys must have been on some shit

If you still want to program and not solder circuits, there is no more direct way to communicate with your machine. Maybe if you talk to it for long enough, it will start talking back...

Agreed, but IMO it's easier to learn the underlying concepts once you already can program, & have a big picture understanding of how all the pieces fit together

The original MS-DOS was like 7 files ~100 lines each, took the dude 6 weeks. 16 bit assembly is easy to write, anyone here who spent a few months learning 16bit x86 assembly could write a DOS clone in 6-8 weeks (it literally just boots, implements a simple filesystem and presents a prompt.)

What if I want a job?

Do as Pajeet does and you will find employment my son. No poo in the loo.

install gentoo