Would it ever be practical for houses to just install a giant AC to DC power converter so that the power that comes out...

Would it ever be practical for houses to just install a giant AC to DC power converter so that the power that comes out of the outlet is DC? Or maybe have like a 600W PSU behind every outlet so that there isn't one centralized converter creating a ton of heat. I'm sure it would be more efficient with resources than every device people buy coming with it's own power supply only to be thrown away in a few years.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good luck getting a standardized voltage and and connector.

You're going to generate the same amount of heat whether you use one big power supply or several smaller supplies. The cost as well as inefficiencies introduced during rectification make this idea pointless and dumb.

Why don't we just run on DC power instead of AC?

They used to. It didn't scale well.

When you have one rectifier for the whole house, you're spending more money and getting better quality parts, thus you can get maximum efficiency and safety, as opposed to shitty chinese bullshit that comes with most products you own.

Honestly, with improved solar panels and whole-house backup batteries on the horizon, I can see DC outlets being standard in the future.

AC is better for transmission.

Because fuck you, ok? They knew that DC (direct undercurrant) was too good for everybody. That's why they bitch-slapped your ass with AC so now you can Have ... the band.

Already exists, make everything run on USB 5v

>spend money to fix a problem that doesn't exist
>buy all new appliances

Great idea

If I can tell the difference between a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor, would I be able to tell the difference between a lightbub on a 60hz alternating current and a lightbulb on a 144hz alternating current?

>noticing the difference after 90hz
Only if you are a slowmo camera

Just because you have DC outlets doesn't mean AC outlets will be gone overnight.

And the problem does exist. Are you just going to convert DC to AC and then back to DC to go from your house battery to your laptop battery? That's idiotic.

Like it or not, DC power for houses is coming. Not in replacement of AC but in addition.

There is such thing as a dc powered data center. Not common but has been show to be more efficient.

maybe i am the chosen one

Only if you can see the flicker of a 60hz bulb

its built in to all the furniture and equipment and devices at work already

like... every outlet has the 3 prong holes and some USB holes.

>And the problem does exist. Are you just going to convert DC to AC and then back to DC to go from your house battery to your laptop battery? That's idiotic.

Lrn2ohms law

If every person throws away an old power supply every two years, that's 3.5 billion power supplies being thrown away every year. That is an inefficient use of resources.

I belive there are certain 12v DC light fixtures. My boss was saying something about it

Just stop.

Too many notes.

I had the same question some time ago. someone explained to me why this is not a good idea... but I don't remember the explanation, or
the logic behind it. sorry.

go ask /ohm/

actually I did it.

That's retarded. And here's why:
The inefficiency of all those power supplies will stack,
an AC-AC transformer is incredibly easy while a DC-DC has over 3 times the parts,
AC->DC takes 4 diods while DC->AC needs a timer etc etc

no one is saying you should convert DC-AC. IMO, there should be 2 lines... but I guess your other points make sense.
thanks an0n

Because of and as well as perhaps the most crucial detail: people are dumb and stupid. With DC you absolutely have to make sure live and ground wires are connected correctly. Do you trust the average Joe with this task? I don't. And it didn't work before either. Could be solved with designing the proper sockets ofc.
And centralised converter would still not solve the problem of things needing different voltages and currents thus you would still need an adapter of sorts.

Hello, Mr. Edison. How's that Serb colleague of yours doing?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

HVDC > AC at long distances

this is only a problem with current plugs in some countries, like the USA, where they're reversable (non-grounded type at least)
it would be retarded to use those with DC, though it'd be a dumb idea to use the same plug for two different standards anyway, so this would never be an issue if such a push for DC ever happened

Because that would totally work for stuff other than your phone right, kiddo?

>USB standardized on 5v instead of 12v
REEEEEE

>Like it or not, DC power for houses is coming
It is?

are you sure you're in the right place?

arguably, the usb power delivery spec goes up as high as 20V/100W, enough to power quite a lot of things

big clive has made me too fearful of that stuff. i don't trust any of those shits, i'd rather an OEM apple charger over literally anything else.