Show me a youtube or twitch video that showcases mad VIM skills, yo

seems like all you fags do on here is rice out your linux desktops and vim but all bark and no bite. Is there a video where I can see someone working fast with vim to make it justifiable to use in this day and age?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
cashinwork.com/?id=3890
github.com/ctaperts/neovim_init.vim
liveedu.tv/evilpudding/R47ml-opengl-c/Bwj13-opengl-c-9/
github.com/tao12345666333/vim
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use atom

no, you'll just forever get a bunch of faggots bragging about how they can do two commands to automatically make a list from 1 to 100 or that they rigged it so some random keypress combination they'll forget and only use twice in two weeks does basic code generation and that they match 60% of common IDE features with only 30 plugins you have to configure to work exactly right that might conflict with eachother

I use Emacs because im not a faggot

I spend hours upon hours ricing my linux desktops and vim because I enjoy making my work environment appealing if only to me.

The plus side is whenever I have to work on shit I can get in done very fast because my environment is conducive to my work style.

I gave up on Vim, alot of the code completion plugins are either broken or inexistent so I just use sublime or geany

>said code completion plugins are not broken or non in sublime or geany

from my experience I have seen more vim completion plugins for language support than sublime or geany or any other "text editor" for that matter

*nonexistent

I fell for the vim meme about four years ago, here is, in all honesty, everything I know how to do, and do often:
- copy/cut/paste
- undo/redo
- open multiple files and switch between them
(or just get the command-T plugin)
- display multiple files at once
- find and replace
(admittedly this shit is always pretty slow since you gotta type out the line range and other shit IE :1,100 s/penis/vagina/g
- skip to line number

Things I'd like to do often that I should learn to do:
- the fugitive plugin commands
(right now I just have another terminal open in the same workspace and write my git commands there)
- installing the YouCompleteMe plugin for autocompletion, since I always fuck up the install somehow
- hiding and expanding code blocks (haven't seen this done in vim but haven't bothered looking around)

Looking at this list, I feel like I should just forget vim and save my time by switching to a contemporary IDE to get my shit done. Any good takers?

About 20+ years ago wrote a paginator macro on Amiga vim. It would write a text file out to odd and even pages which could then be used for double sided printout.

For those who don't know, vim was originally an Amiga vi port.

4 years? I've been using it for maybe 8 months and you can do a shit load of stuff:
CTRL + N autocompletes
t + letter = go to just before next instance of character in line
f + letter = go to next instance of character in line
T + letter = go to just after previous char in line
F + letter = go to Previous char in line
; = repeat last tfTF command
. = repeat last info change command

" + * = paste from system register
o = add a new line after your cursor and enter insert mode
O = same but before your cursor

{ or } = go to previous or next paragraph

with :s you can do regular expressions
I'm just a noob and am barely scratching the surface. You're just not trying.

Hiding code blocks: zf + movement.

Unhiding code block: za = unfold where your cursor is.
zE = unfold everything in the window.
Those are the main two I use.

thanks for your help! I should actually look this stuff up on my own and commit it to memory but I am admittedly an unintelligent person

These are some of the more useful ones imo.

If you work in fresh VMs a lot for security/networking why not use vim since it's probably already installed?

I posted one about 4 months ago
it was a whole 2 hour keynote on VIM ricing
the thread got zero replies

there you go, famalam: youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM

GNU/Linux*

Linux is just a kernel, not a desktop environment.

cashinwork.com/?id=3890

Sad

Vim is too slow for me to use all the time, but I use it for config files and when I ssh.

But if you want to know why ricers show it in screenshots: it take a lot of time to rice, so they take it as a badge of honor that they made it look slightly less terrible.
The only neat feature vim has is the :r function. I would love to have that in Kate.

z is for anything related to redrawing the screen.
Imagine a CRT scanning lines across the screen.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux is in fact GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Supposedly the reason people think vim is fast is because of a little known bias in the human brain that equates number of decisions and mechanical actions to perceived time taken

Not sure what is more cringeworthy, you not understanding vim, or you wanting to see a video of someone who does. Either way I suggest you consider suicide.

said noone ever

github.com/ctaperts/neovim_init.vim

If anyone is interested in a neovim setup for arch linux or ubuntu with you complete me and more. With instructions on how to setup

pretty much this

kys. oh wait...

Yes, as the user above your said, they're all broken

>Looking at this list, I feel like I should just forget vim and save my time by switching to a contemporary IDE to get my shit done.
This. I used vim heavily during three years to do a Python project. I found out that I spent more time working on configs and trying to get shit to work rather than doing actual code. Any decent modern text editor allows you to the same with little to no config. Also fuck ctags.

Any good takers?
Any modern editor will do.
>Sublime and clones -- prefer sublime because it's not a browser
>VS/NetBeans/XCode
Honestly if you want to do things old school just get an editor. If you want to speed up things, got for an IDE

>2017
>vim
u people make me sick
t. emacs pro

>emacs
kek

my sides

Don't know if you'd call it mad, what you think? liveedu.tv/evilpudding/R47ml-opengl-c/Bwj13-opengl-c-9/

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Do you need help man?

What font is that? It looks really cool!

Why would you use vim when nano exists?

>been using IDE's since years
>try vim for the first time yesterday with this setup: github.com/tao12345666333/vim
>it is really cool and increased my overall speed although it has been only 1,5 days

>only 1500 days

>increased my overall speed
What does this even mean? What are you quantifying exactly? Users of whatever editor is being discussed at the time always say this and it always comes across as obnoxiously vague to me.

at least it feels like it. Going to lines with a very short command, copying and deleting all kinds of sections with shortcuts, the . command for redoing the change... it just feels very intuitive after reading the manual. And it is lightweight and preinstalled on a lot of unix-systems. No need to reinstall if I don't have my laptop with me

I thought you were a liar, I mean the tutorial covers all the basics from an then some, basic vim with no plugins whatsoever is rigged as heck, and there is a book material worth of genuinely interesting stuff to know about the editor, look it up it's `Learning the Vi and Vim Editors, 7 Ed.'
I use both vim and emacs ( for lisp editing, and as a general *nix replacement for when I am away from my main box, the thing is a behemoth of a software, if only for its elisp core, and the ielm mode), and both of them can made to do magic in the right hand, learn your tools they will save you countless hours in the long run, and that is speaking from experience.

Tbh I only use it edit for easy config edits. When I've tried to rice it with plugins and shit it slows down to a crawl.