Is it worth to buy a refurbished desktop for non-compute heavy tasks

as opposed to building your own machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-990-Desktop-Computer-Quad-I7-2600-3-4GHz-8GB-1TB-Windows-10-Pro-/262729005484?nav=SEARCH
m
ebay.co.uk/itm/nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GB-HDMI-DVI-DisplayPort-Low-Profile-Graphics-Card-/311820247566?hash=item4899ef620e:g:PZsAAOSwWxNYwoNk
ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-990-MT-PC-w-Intel-Core-i7-2600-3-40Ghz-4GB-NO-HD-7-PRO-COA-/162496434550?hash=item25d58ad176:g:2FAAAOSwtGlZBOm~
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's even worth it for compute heavy tasks. You can find i7 2600 systems in the $175 range.

i5 2400/2500 and i7 2600 systems are some of the best deals around. I wouldn't go lower since you're giving up a ton of performance for very little money.

this
Bought a Lenovo thinkcentre for $20NZD
That's literally $13.88 burgerbucks
You can find massive deals in refurbished/pre-leased computers.

>Bought a Lenovo thinkcentre for $20NZD
specs?

It's worth. And if you choose wisely you even can do some gaming.
I'm about to buy am IBM entry level server only because of the price for the hardware.The only thing that stops me of doing that is not knowing if I can replace the PSU with an aftermarket one. And hackintosh compatibility.

They have a lot of cheap i5-2400 systems available on fleabay for just around $100. Spend a little extra on a SDD and you have a system you won't have to replace again for a few decades possibly.

fucking where ans specs

Anyone got recommendations/links? Just got my tax return in and I've been wanting to get a desktop for a while

Yep.I bough my uncle a Dell desktop with a q6600 and integrated N-force gpu for like 60 bucks.He is just reads the news sites and watches shit on youtube, so it doesn't need anything more.

just make sure you have your backup game on lock

What do you guys think of this?

m.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-990-Desktop-Computer-Quad-I7-2600-3-4GHz-8GB-1TB-Windows-10-Pro-/262729005484?nav=SEARCH

It seems pretty good for the price, i7, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive, 3.34 GHz. It just seems too good to be true, would ingest memed by buying this or should I pull the trigger on it?

you fucked up. should have gotten a faster dual core.

You're gonna put in a graphics card or not? What you're gonna use it for?

>m
your kind is not welcome here.

anyway, it's nothing special. it's thin and it has that shitty psu form factor, so it's harder to upgrade.

his uncle watches fucking youtube videos. who the fuck cares what cpu is in it?

Intel Core2Duo 6300
2GB Ram
60gb hard drive

Found it on Trademe sorting by lowest price and region (Wellington).
Dude had dozens of them in his garage, iirc he got them from a council office or something.
Bought and cleaned a $4 keyboard and $15 desk for it, then installed Manjaro.

web browsing can be very cpu intensive and it's usually not multi-threaded.

Just daily use shit and some light video editing and audio recording. Not planning to play games on it or anything

I got myself an IBM Thinkcentre with a Pentium 4 3 ghz for £30 not too long ago on Ebay that I use for early 00's gaming. It is comfy.

You could go for either something like (you can find GTX 1050s and GPUs with low brackets) this: ebay.co.uk/itm/nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GB-HDMI-DVI-DisplayPort-Low-Profile-Graphics-Card-/311820247566?hash=item4899ef620e:g:PZsAAOSwWxNYwoNk Not really suggesting exactly this, but similar to that. Or you could go for a wider version of the dell optiplex 990 i7-2600 if you could and put in older used but low-mid range GPUs ex: rx460/gtx750 The total should only mount up to around less than $450 depending on what you picked.

Here's one I found: ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-990-MT-PC-w-Intel-Core-i7-2600-3-40Ghz-4GB-NO-HD-7-PRO-COA-/162496434550?hash=item25d58ad176:g:2FAAAOSwtGlZBOm~ yes, even though there's no Hard Drive and only 4GB RAM, you can still get and put those in for cheap these day anyway and doing an upgrade and mending it in the future would be easier on a wider case than a thin one

Yes

Hell, for $100 AUD and an old video card I could run Arma 3 on low settings on an old server I picked up. Ithink it had dual X5460's

After studying IT I discovered that """IT professionals""" recommend to businesses that they need to completely replace all their computers every 5 years maximum... I'm not joking. You can find perfectly good, mass produced, government/ school/ business systems for very cheap and then just throw a GPU in there.

gut them in the future and trigger some muh chinkpads faggots.

Same poster here. My Thinkpad is an IBM logo X60s because of Autism.

I thought about buying a server and then adding in a decent enough video card and sound card for gaming and also for storage but it'dd be overkill for what I need.

Also servers are far too loud and heavy on power consumption.

heya wellington bro

Really shitty, we just recently replaced the last of those at my work.

What's a better (durable because i'm an irresponsible fuck)laptop than a thinkpad for $650?

Serious question, because I'm about to buy one

If it's cheap enough, absolutely.

>After studying IT I discovered that """IT professionals""" recommend to businesses that they need to completely replace all their computers every 5 years maximum... I'm not joking.
I seriously wish my employer followed that philosophy; our workstations are roughly 10 years old and hell to work on. A 7 year upgrade cycle would be acceptable if you really think 5 is too short, but at 8 years I'd really be wanting a new machine.