/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 1600 is budget.

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in some specific games atm (Civ6, RoTR, Rocket League)
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/htcCcc
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BZpj7h
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4W2Fhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/CwNnqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/kFGXBP
imgur.com/a/s7Img
pcpartpicker.com/list/GTt6VY
pcpartpicker.com/list/QTNGM8
youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q
pcpartpicker.com/list/YKbvFd
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=b350&N=-1&isNodeId=1
amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9LN311
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132965&cm_re=b350-_-13-132-965-_-Product
youtube.com/watch?v=RMCrK_Mjtg8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

taking into cooling and quietness, what is THE optimal fan setup for a mid tower case?

liquid cooling is better than air cooling
reviews are proof of this

>that FAT of a rad
>push AND pull
christ just get a single push fan on that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/htcCcc

Looking to do a little bit of gaming, but quite a bit if 3d modeling, animation, as well as some film editing. Would this be good enough?

I only have about $1300 to work with. I already have a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor. Not sure what the rz or Hz but I'll deal with it for awhile in the meantime

MY PC IS SO LOUD I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

WHAT IS THIS LOW HUM SHIT?!!

Please critique my build /pcbg/. I posted in the last thread but got no (you)s

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BZpj7h

My goal is to build an entry-level gaming PC for under $1000AUD. I've just barely managed to squeeze in the 1600 cpu. Will my video card be at least adequate?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4W2Fhq

I know my build is shit, but what monitor should i get with this build?, Its mostly for gaming, browsing.

Does 1440p monitors make consoles look worst when connected to hdmi?

i'd probably go with a 120gb SSD and then get the RX480 8gb

Is there a worthwhile difference between the 470/480 and the 570/580?

recommend me a good xeon

get the 1500 and upgrade gpu to 580

Adding onto this, do the benefits of liquid cooling outweigh the cons?

Looks good.

you'll have to check the specs, 480 8gb and 580 are the ones to get

where do i find those old dell cases like pic related?

What are some of the most beautiful cases around? No open windows, please.

So I currently have a GTX 970 4gb, and I have some people trying to convince me to upgrade to the GTX 1080, but it's like not it's a huge upgrade right? Would I be better off just getting another GTX 970 and using SLI or should I just go for the 1080?

why are you upgrading

What said, my 970 is still trucking most games I have thrown against it on high settings.

But also one nice card is always better than two lesser ones. So there is not much pressure on you to upgrade, but there can be issues with SLI when comparing it to a single card.

I'm not trying to, some coworkers are trying to convince me to, but it doesn't really seem worth the cash I would be throwing down.

Though I do need a new case since my got dented, so maybe they think I need new parts?

just kys

Your input is duly noted

is 60 dollars too much for a case thats 20 years old?

no really kys

Well I'm in the army so ISIS might take care of that for you

Do you use 120mm fans? That's probably what it is.

Yes. I picked one of those up from a dumpster not too long ago. Can't fit more than a 92mm cooler on the CPU, it's extremely narrow. Also, the space for the I/O shield isn't standard.

why are 120's so loud?

Second time building a PC, 2700 USD Budget, thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/CwNnqk

Replying to user from last thread.
>most of Ryzens arms simply arent being used
Keep in mind that game benchmarks are done under circumstances that are generally vastly different than what most consumers will experience in their more realistic gaming scenarios.
This generally means that to really get the edge from the i5 7600k vs r5 1600 for example you'll have to absolutely solely run the game alone to even see significant advantage over it while also hitting close to 100% cpu usage to achieve that. The thing is that even now that games don't utilize the r5 1600 as well as intel's quad cores are being currently utilized but with the r5 1600 you will be able to get stable smooth gameplay at 65%-75% cpu usage while having essentially 2 cores and alot of threads free for other tasks which usually include browsers/media players/background programs related to hardware or software(games) the list goes on. There is literally no reason not to buy ryzen unless budget really isn't an issue for you and you generally upgrade your pc often.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/CwNnqk
You overspend on looks, considering you want to vr gaymin you could cheap out on looks and make a more budget oriented build that would allow a 1080ti in there. Also consider 1440p over 144hz if you aren't into competitive gaming where such a slight fps difference would even matter, i guarantee you your gayming experience will be more significant in 1440p60fps than 1080p120fps.

Thanks for the advice, gonna try to make my build less looks-based. Now that I look at it, I did go overboard.

gtx 1080 is for high end vr or high res / high framerate
if you currently have a gtx 970 there is very little chance you need it. A GTX 1070 would be a big upgrade that does make sense.

you could save like 40 bucks on that RAM by not buying gay RGB
also that case is so fucking retarded looking for that price point
like said just cheap out on the looks and go for value

Yeah, thanks for the advice. Like I said, will definitely be trying to do that.

>3d modeling
>animation
>video editing
Remove the i5 & the cooler, then put an R5 1600 instead, the 1600 dominates any i5 at productivity, especially video editing. 6 cores 12 threads > 4c4t.
pcpartpicker.com/list/kFGXBP

Here. Performs better at the thing you do and ends up cheaper so i decide to add another 1 TB 7200rpm hard drive. Trust me: when doing video editing, having the most hard drives possible feels like pure bliss. You can use it for preview cache, exported video storage or media (the ones you use in your videos) storage. The 265GB aren't gonna be enough to store all of that in the long run, so having a spare drive for it is nice.

Also, GTX 1070 is not for "little gaming". It's for 144hz or 1440p120hz builds, but certainly not just "a little gaming". Would be wiser to downgrade to GTX 1060 / RX 580. Go GTX 1060 if your modeling software & animation benefit decently from CUDA, otherwise both are pretty much the same.

just built a computer
first time in 10 years
accidentally had the psu upside down, computer was on for maybe like 3 hours
smelled like burnt plastic lol
but everything looks fine. I turned it back the right way, smell is gone, everything seems fine
any reason to be concerned about RMAing the psu? I'm not well versed in this stuff

aye don't worry m8 everthangs fin

I had my PSU upside down for 2 years until someone told me it was the wrong direction, and i still use it to this day.
There is 0 reason an upside down PSU would damage it or anything: every single computer part can be in any direction at any angle and it will be perfectly fine. That's why in some mITX cases you sometimes see mobos horizontally and at times, PSU sucking air from the top. It doesn't change anything except where does it get the air from.

well the significance is that the fan was up against the top of the case, so there was no air flow

thanks for the quick reply

no wonder there was a smell of burned plastic then.

one more spoonfeed-y question and I'll fuck off
any benefit to getting 3 120mm fans for the bottom of my case to replace the 2 140mm fans I have there now?
don't know shit about overclocking, just don't want to have overheating issues later on

>pulling air from the back
why?

no
larger fans cover more area and are generally quieter

3 120mm fans might move more air than 2 140mm fans, but not enough to justify switching them out

What motherboard and ram should I get for ryzen r5 1600x and gtx 1070? Is it even a good idea to get 1070 instead of 580 if I go with amd?

Liquid cooling
>best cooling performance
>AIO units easy to install
>high overclocking headroom
>more expensive
>radiator mounting only requirement, most decent cases support at least 240mm radiators
>high end units with high radiator mass can be extremely quiet

Air cooling
>more failproof
>cheaper
>less cooling performance
>clearance issues with certain cases, motherboards and RAM (even GPUs in some case)
>basic heatsinks mostly supplied with processor
>heatsinks much cheaper than AIO liquidcoolers.
>it just werks

A lot of reduced noise comes down to sound deadening, like in a car cabin.

Fans that are within "line of sight" of you are going to be noisier. ie the front fan, and side fans.

A lot of cases now days have a panel over the front and a gap to deaden the sound. But in many cases it's just for looks, and doesn't fully work.
And as for cooling, don't be afraid to use your rear and/or top fans for intake instead of exhaust. Air pressure and air currents are far stronger than the mild convection. And convection often heats your motherboard VRMs too much from the hot air rising off the GPU, otherwise. This is a good deal why I prefer those vertical oriented cases like the Jonsbo VR2 or upside-down ones like the Silverstone TJ08.

So what sort of liquid cooler could I opt for a build that includes the i7 6700k and the GTX 1070 in a Fractal R4 case?

>Keep in mind that game benchmarks are done under circumstances that are generally vastly different than what most consumers will experience in their more realistic gaming scenarios.
This is a great point that I wish more could understand.

But the reality is that games are almost all already programmed to use more than 4 cores/threads:
imgur.com/a/s7Img
They're programmed to scale. But if a 4c/8t has the power it needs, then yeah there'll just be CPU usage left over.

Reposting my beginner PC build from last thread. Trying to make a simple gaming computer for around $800 USD. The idea for this build is to be able to run games at 1080p and 60fps reliable at a flexible amount of settings.

idk read reviews. I can't/won't advise on AIOs.

>$800 for 4 threads
mm no.
Why didn't you look at some of the other builds from the last thread that people said were good? That would give you an idea. There were many in the $750-$900 range.

Gonna be pulling the trigger in 24 hrs, need some final help.How does the GPU look? I have heard the Define S is good but should I look at another case instead? This will be my first build so I need some advice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GTt6VY

Unless you want to have a retro/sleeper build, it's too much. For that price you can get a Corsair 200R

Solid build. Though just personally, I'd go a mATX board and smaller case.

>7500
>instead of 1500x
for why?

Just read some reviews from tech sites and pick one that fits your case and budget. Corsair, NZXT and Cooler Master are reputable vendors, deepcool has cheaper units but some negative history with units being DOA or bad customer service

I have a R5 1600x and it goes to max 72C in prime95 with my corsair H60 when im running the chip at 1.4V and I have only one noctua meme fan on it

>intel CPU + nvidia GPU
No. Here is a much better $800 beginner build. pcpartpicker.com/list/QTNGM8

Swap the i5 for a 1600, and get a 480/580 instead of a 1060, but this doesn't matter much.

What "smaller case" would you recommend instead?

I saw that this motherboard isn't recommended
youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q

Corsair Carbide 88r, or that smaller Fractal case I forget the name. Idk just search mATX cases.

Ignore this, I didn't see the $800 price limit.

How is that "not recommended"? He's just sperging that it's not 6 real phases for $80, but otherwise says it seems fine.

You mean the Define C Mini?

He's not sperging, he's telling you that ASRock tries to sell a 3 phase design as 6 phase and those phases aren't even doubled.
The ASRock B350 mobos all have worse VRM than the competition, it's only a viable choice if it's cheaper than the competition.

ARE THERE ANY B350 BOARDS THAT WORK YET M8'S?!

Electronics recycling depots?

Edited my build list a little bit, how does this look in that case?

pcpartpicker.com/list/YKbvFd

work?
no, they all explode when installing the cpu

Do you guys think that an r5 1600 overclocked at 3.8ghz sapphire nitro+ rx 580 overclocked 8gb ddr4 3200mhz 2x8gb ram could handle VR with htc vive? Sapphire claims that their gpu can but i'm not really sure.

2x8gb*

They aren't "doubled", but they are still more mosfets and chokes that will stay cooler.
With many more phases, yeah the power delivery would be more stable and allow for lower voltage.
Cooling is the bigger issue for most people, though. You don't want your VRMs to pop.

I don't see how this is an issue. It's a low end motherboard. My 1600x takes around 10-11W of power for each core in prime95 when at around 4.0GHz and 1,4V so a quad core chip should need to draw only around 50W max from that VRM.

Read some reviews, like 40% of them fail to even work

>like 40% of them fail to even work

I know, son. I found it hard to believe too. I was set on an ASUS Prime B350-Plus, and now I'm not sure what to do, but look at the reviews for yourself.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=b350&N=-1&isNodeId=1

amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9LN311

Fucking sucks, my man.

Out of 14 reviews it's two guys complaining, meh
Different from your claim of 40% failing to even work
you're too paranoid user

p400s tempered glass vs s340 elite?

Did you know that 127% of all Intel motherboards made have zero RMAs due to operational failure (user error is not counted).

>trufax.

They all work. Ive got the biostar b350gt3 can figure out how to get overclocked memory to post but im closing in on my cpu overclock before I lock it in.

My 3200 memory running like 1064 or something right now. I did not buy the right kind of memory to make this easy and will have to figure out how to overclock this as high as I can the hard slow way. The X whatever ram profile doesnt post.

I will say that replacing the thermal paste on the stock cooler dropped my temps at least 5 degrees if not more. Maxing out the cpu at 3.7 1.25 has me stable at 70C. r5 1600

yes, both will handle VR ewell

>can't figure out how

Also the bios says the memory is running 2133 but cpuz says 1064 in windows. Wtf.

that's normal
your ram is running at normal speed, bios indicates 1066 (half)
DOUBLE data rate

The RX580 will do well in VR, unless the graphics are really high end yet it doesn't support asynchronous reprojection. I'm not sure if any games still have that problem or not.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132965&cm_re=b350-_-13-132-965-_-Product

>more than 1 in 4 mobos didn't even work

I'm buying a B350 and Ryzen 1600 so no, I want this shit to work.

You mean because is dual channel? Ah ok. Also 2133 probably isnt exact cant remember the last two digits without going back in. Trying to do a long stability test on the cpu now.

>I'm buying a B350 and Ryzen 1600 so no, I want this shit to work.

I recommend finding memory that is working for other people already. I think the amd guy said something about samsung b chips in that youtube video where he talks about overclocking.

please can i habe decent g4560 build? wat motherboard?

>You mean because is dual channel?
no
The actual speed of the RAM is half what is shown in the bios, and CPU-Z shows that number properly. But the effective speed is double that, hence why it's called Double Data Rate (DDR)

It's not because dual channel it's because it is DDR

yes, samsung b die rams are the RAM that reach the highest clock on am4 motherboards

Ah thanks.

As far as I can tell the Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 2x8gb is working fine in terms of not being clocked down. But there seems to be a big problem with the actual function and BIOS in these mobo's. Fucking sucks because I was set on the Asus Prime, but now I don't know what to do. There seems to have been a number of BIOS updates which have been released which might be helping some people, but still the numbers having issues getting the Ryzen mobo's to work in the most basic way is worrying. Here's a video discussing it:

youtube.com/watch?v=RMCrK_Mjtg8

I seriously doubt that VRM will run cooler than any other, after all the mosfets used are NIKO PowerPAKs which aren't really good.
The fact that ASRock uses the same components on their X370 Killer and Gaming K4 boards is just stupid and i bet those boards a 4 phase with the same shady scheme.

It isn't a real issue, it's just that you can have better for the same money and ASSRrock is being an asshole for this.

AMD has had problems with intel doing fucked up shit in the past. Like bribing oems and other things. They purposly kept alot of shit in the dark in the lead up to this. In fact at the end they just went right to the board makers to give them the info and didnt give them tons of time to do it.

So yes there is a bunch of stuff getting updated in the mobos. Also this is a new architecture so everything in new from the ground up. There is going to be a great deal of shit being ironed out for a couple months more at least.

And they didnt forget about all this shit but AMD has chosen to do this without giving alot of info out in advance. The experience wont be smooth for a couple months at least and if you want it as easy as possible find parts people are having success with now. And like we were talking about look for samsung b die memory.

if money is an issue for more ram.

Would you rather go 2x4gb of 2400mhz or 1x8gb of 2400mhz ram?

Can you go one stick in dual channel systems? If so 1x8 but im not sure you can.

you can but it will be single channel.

The general rule is max per stick because you can then add more of those sticks later. Im looking through the books for the 2 b350 mobos I have and they explain which slots to put the memory in. I dont think you can do one stick there doesnt seem to be an option. And Im pretty sure dual channel memory needs to be in pairs and quad channel like an x99 needs to be in 4s.

Also just save up buy the cheapest samsung b die 2x8 kit that people are having a good time with. Make sure they are doing a ryzen cpu because memory that is rated for intel isnt guaranteed to jump well to amd. Especially right now with Ryzen being new.

I guess 1x8 than. Though with how sensitive Ryzen is to the memory I would save a bit more cash.