Homelab Battlestation Thread

Sup Sup Forums? I've been running on just latptops for awhile now but want to build a homelab setup for upping my network and netsec skills.

I'm debating on whether to do a custom build or try and save money and just buy a box someone else setup or an old Proliant or such off Craigslist.

What would Sup Forums suggest? Post your homelabs and inspire me.

Got some simple shit.
A hp proliant ML350 G6, which serves as the current "head" of the network so to speak. I use the server to run some VMs mostly Linux.

The bottom switch is a hp procurve 2810-24G
middle is a 2610-48.
Both have SFP+ ports, but hp decided to be cunts so I can't use the cable I bought.

Top is a work in progress. Want to build my own pfsense router.

Save money and use network namespaces with SDN

What are you learning for? A job or just for fun?

How much power does that consume?

what can you use this shit for? looks cool beans but i dont get it

Depends.

I find it fun and it's useful in regards to my job. Kind of like buying an old car and restoring it. No real good reason why, but it's just fun.

Does anyone here run a cluster computing network?

The cops gonna laught their ass off. They think your electricity bill is so high 'cause you growing weed - but you are just a loser.

Would this count as a home lab? It's just one pc tho, not multiple ones.

Damn.
You could probably run quite a few VMs and containers on that shit

eks dee what a looser he has a productive hobby instead of smoking weed every day

That's the plan for the future. I just want a new graphics card and few more screens first. And I need more free time as well lol.

Just get single box with enough CPU and memory to run a bunch of VMs. Install proxmox and off you go.

I'm a senior systems engineer at a big tech company. I always ask interviewees about their setup at home. I don't typically hire anyone that doesn't have home servers.

I got hired on the same thing. Other guy lived right next to the building, but because I had a server at home and worked on it in my spare time I got hired instead.

Mfw I'm just an intern but my setups stomps pretty much everything, while my two colleagues who work full time have no fucking desktops at all at home, they have like i3-tier laptops because they don't give a fuck about actual IT.

48 port 10GbE DCB Switch, 10 GbE hybrid SAN, 4 x servers (1 pictured), 2 workstations w/E5's, online UPS, WTI power and console distribution enclosed in a sound dampened case.

No one cares about your rgb gaming rig. Do you have 15 VMs, coreos docker server, your own docker registry, and a Puppet master? That's what I care about.

I was given an ML350 G6 without the HDD bay and in non-rackmount form factor, what should I use it for? It's got 48gb RAM, and 1 Xeon 5260

Do you know how to use Linux?
Not talking greybeard level, but beginner to adept level. If you want to fuck around with a lot of things, but aren't sure what just yet , install Proxmox or ESXi and run some VMs.

As far as I know you can't run containers in ESXi, so that might be worth taking into consideration.

How's that 10 GbE switch? Isn't it noisy as shit?

CCNA lab stuff.

I'm the one who linked the Xeon E5-2699v3 + 64GB RAM. That's not really an rgb gaming rig.

Don't you think its time to find a rack for all of that? Just looking at it makes me nervous lol

Not bad actually unless it gets hot. Then those 1U fans scream. SAN is the worst offender overall. It's why I put in in a -28db case.

kind of wanted to get a SAN myself, but think a pretty big NAS and using iSCSI would be good enough. Don't really need the terabytes, though it could be fun.
What kind of SAN we talking here?

My rack

if it didn't cost $10k+ then don't fuckiing post

no-one wants to see your toys

Is this in Vegas?

I went with an EqualLogic PS6110XS. It's a hybrid SAN with SSD's and 10k spinning disks. Not meant to be sitting in a room with you and likes to blow heat. Newer model is available the 6210, but it's damn expensive still and EQL is going bye bye, being merged into the Compellant line.

If I could do it again, I would buy a NetApp.

Nah I got all them cards last time I went to Defcon

The best way to get into this is to consolidate into one efficient box with a hypervisor of choice

consider noise, power and size as top factors

Why do you invest so much money in memes?

What can you accomplish by having this equipment at home that you couldn't do with AWS or some other service?

Since this is anonymous I might as well admit this.
When I started building this I bought this monster for about 100 USD.
Thought it was a good price at the time. Only later did I learn that I need a controller that costs 5 times as much WITHOUT the required license to run the thing!

No pain no gain, but god damn.

my "homelab"

Oh, you got a disk shelf without the controller. EQL has the controllers built into all their units which is good and bad.

On top of controllers, SANs need branded drives with their custom firmware. Totally sucks, but if you get an MD 30/32/36xx series from Dell, as long as they're Dell branded drives you are good to go.

Gone are the days when you could rip the firmware from one branded drive and flash it onto the consumer version and make it a branded drive on the cheap.

Suggest you check Aventsys out for drives, controller, or even eBay.

They are full length and weigh a ton, they are not going anywhere.

There's always a Synology SAN too. I have an 1815+ as well, and I believe they use a SAS backplane so you could use those drivers perhaps though they'd be in ATA mode.

I guess I lied, fiber channel. You need a special switch for that too. That's the realm where the big boys with lotsa money play. I have a super old fiber channel switch which was still like $3500 for 12 ports.

Yup. fibre channel is a bitch. Getting an entire fibre channel SAN up and running is WAY out of my budget.
I read somewhere that you can attach it as a normal iSCSI JBOD using a 4 GbE SFP network card, but haven't tried yet. That would require some borderline greybeard linux knowledge that I don't have the time to deal with atm

I think you just need a FC HBA card in your server and you'd be good to go. Long as the shelf has a FC interface to plug into.

Guess I gotta see if I can find one of those. Would be a shame to just leave those FC HDDs to gather dust.

Ah sorry I misunderstood

What if I use properly setup jails on openBSD/dragonfly or LXCs setup properly on a Gentoo cluster and have zero want to use docker garbage?

This. I have a single server in my garage running proxmox with a bunch of VMs. I used to have a bunch physical servers and of course they just wasted power, made noise, and generated too much heat.

You're fucking hired brother

If only it were that easy.

so are these different normal servers or is this homelab shit just some super secret elitist crap?

My home lab.

Yes the battery is attached for power failures.

>fibre channel disks
nigger you fucked up

>tfw you want to build a massive SAN and fill it with media
>tfw jewcast limits you to 1TB transit a month, shit upload speeds

I guess this is what it feels like to be cucked.

get a seedbox, they're cheap. Sure it means you won't be able to seed everything forever, but its a lot better than nothing.

> he learns only for a job or run
Why not learn just to learn?

i dig the soma.fm stickers :>

Hmm... so it would appear that the "xfinititywifi" access point doesn't count against your data cap.
15mbits down, saturating that link for a month would pull down 4TB. Seedbox running the torrents, holding them for as long as disk space permits.
Transfer completed torrents to local storage over wifi link.

Maybe even link aggregation would... 30mbit down!

I'm almost tempted to try it and see if they get upset for eating that much transit.

if it works...

It does. I "upgraded" to a EEE pc though, because it only draws 13W at idle.

Does anyone know how well Proxmox (or something similar) would run on an i5?

No one runs an enterprise on that shit.

If you're going to be sysadmingod, you better get extremely familiar with puppet/chef/salt/ansible. You better be ready to go into an interview and prove how you can use those tools to automate practically everything and make it easy to fire all of the other sysadmins.

Enterprises are still trying to get their heads wrapped around cloud...docker/kubernetes is a long way off.

i keep it pretty simple

>just to learn
Pretty much what I mean with fun. It's fun to learn

you're dumb

I'm not interested in long term employment for IT, I'm a robotics student. Also not really interested in learning a bunch of stuff that I'll never use in the wild or even personally. This is how we do it in the labs mainly, with some light use of other systems/frameworks.

if you treat is fun then you will never amount to anything

Fuck yeah

at least clean up your cables

lolwut, that's not true at all

>G6
how is the power consumption treating you? or its not 24/7 on?

Hey guys I'm wondering is there a disk shelf that isnt anything fancy like raid, I guess this is called jbod where it just pass a bunch of disks directly to ZFS and it doesnt get in the way of ZFS doing its thing.

I ran an EEE pc for some months and then it fried itself and wouldn't run for longer than ten minutes before crashing.