What do you want in a Windows OS

This is a thread for people who still use windows.

Easy Mode: Name 5 features you want in a windows OS. Can be anything, native apps, hardware support, you name it.
Hard Mode: Name any 10 features that would not require you to run a complete overhaul of the Windows Kernel.
God Mode: Name (at least) 10 features you would be willing to remove, EXCEPT Cortana

This seems like a market research thread, but I highly doubt Windows would ever target Sup Forums users.

centralized settings configuration.

idk whos making decisions at Microsoft, but having OS settings all scattered thourout the system is just annoying as fuck.

you have control panel, "metro settings" that may or may not have some of the settings in control panel, more settings on "computer" -> "properties" (like backup, remote access, etc)

its a fucking mess..

1) Better support for 64 bit architecture/Mutli-Threading, with quantifiable performance benchmarks
2) DRM free Native Video Screen Capture with already existing (non proprietary) video formats such as MP4/MP5
3) Native Command Line Interface that runs parallel to the GUI with direct hardware access
4) Visual Studio w/ BASIC level GUI design interface
5) Trimmed Browser with less bloat and more access than IE 10

I think that Microsoft should release a beginner, intermediate and advanced version of windows. The advanced version should be able to function as a server platform.

1) I am still running windows 7 and my computer will go into sleep mode while I am downloading something in my browser.
2) Expanded Offline Help Functions/ Trimmed Online help functions. When I can't get online the help library sometimes seems anemic, yet when I am online its filled with bloat.

Clearly designated options to remove tracking and reporting features that aren't buried under mountains of obfuscation.

Options for one-click, no backsies, void your warranty root access.

Better automation regarding user preferences to make use of tracking features

Better Cache access and memory allocation using user behavior tracking to reduce load times and navigation hiccups when accessing favorite features and programs.

1.)just make different version of windows. ie. paid windows is telemetry free and doesnt fucking spend all my monthly data downloading updates and sending telemetry data. windows s version, the cheap one, does and have ads.
2.)fix the fucking search. it was fine in windows 7, why fuck it up.
3.)support for 16 and 32 bit programs
4.)better support for my fucking 8c/16t ryzen
5.)just remove the fucking metro for desktop and laptop. just fucking put it in the tablets.

A better filesystem
No registry bullshit
Sandbox all programs
Better customisability
Less RAM usage/os size

Adding an icon interface that lets you use command line utilities such as registry access and editing, certificate handling, system logs, task manager, ect

More accountability in regards to system processes and registry entries, i.e. clearly defined processes that can be verified.

>No registry bullshit
Word. My computer has a billion things running in the background at startup cause hardware venders keep installing their shovelware and running background processes.

and ffs, just include MS office standard as part of the OS. Stop dicking us at both ends.

You could also tell Intel to stop sabotaging the UEFI BIOS and preventing dual boot LINUX/Windows installations.

>What do you want in a Windows OS
i want it not to exist

Better Support for AMD/Radeon

Released under a GNU public license approved by the Stallman himself.

tough shit.

Microsoft is a trillion dollar software conglomerate. Hell will freeze over before they run out of money.

Maybe stop engaging in price fixing? Why should we pay more for the same product than they do in Peru?

It would be cool if we could only get software from the Windows store. Having to hunt down software and install it manually with an installer only to get a bunch of viruses sucks.

Also, I'd like more games like Minecraft and CandyCrush to be auto installed every update.

It would be great if you couldn't disable Windows Defender at all. I know it turns itself back on, but sometimes I accidentally disable it and leave myself open to viruses.

>It would be great if you couldn't disable Windows Defender at all.

Lol

All windows defender does it keep an outdated list of filenames it thinks might be viruses. The firewall blocks port access and is a complete pain in the ass when you are using server hosting.

I don't mind having a firewall, but does it protect against port scans? Can you disable it if you need to manually set access to your ports or use port forwarding on your router?

>Also, I'd like more games like Minecraft and CandyCrush to be auto installed every update.

That would be fucking awesome! Wooo free minecraft! MS Flight Simulator can suck it!

Might want to make it a freemium game though.

>Might want to make it a freemium game though.

Official MS Minecraft Mods. Cut the modding communities ego / bickering out and just install the primo mods for 5 bucks a piece.

Here is a really radical idea:

Stop calling it Windows. Microsoft really needs to rebrand, people think of it as more of an comercial institution than a software vender.

This may sound... odd, but did you ever think that Microsoft might have too much money? I don't mean it should just light money on fire, but as a conglomerate, maybe it should divest itself of holdings and invest that money in other industries.

Just imagine the panic if you announced that you were going to slash MS budget by 2/3's and invest in Soy or whatever, it'd be like Defcon 2.

I mean, the main consensus among programmers is that Windows has too much bloat, correct? That seems to be its main problem; its a bureaucratic nightmare of kludged together parts and dependancies with millions of features and depreciated libraries, some of which have never even been used.

If you look at big gaming conglomerates like Sony Playstation they really did their best work when they had lean budgets and hard sales targets.

Too much operating capital and your company starts operating more like a government and less like a business.

better reporting accountability is just a good general byline. Programs should be required to say what data they report and who they report it to.

As far as industry trends go, this is pretty toxic. I think Metadata is highly overvalued in the industry. We've got to stop treating this Orweilian bullshit like its money in the bank.

There is no real evidence to support the idea that hoarding metadata actually drives sales. If anything, it just leads to rampant speculation and constant reinterpretation of what marketers already know.

1. Option to turn off telemetry and forced updates for users who know what they're doing (you can hide it in advanced settings to protect normies).

2. See 1.

3. See 1.

4. See 1.

5. See 1.

System level color management like what macOS has.

Space pinballs, paper clip dude, MS office, and easily pin recycle bin onto taskbar

I mean hell, most of Microsofts Revenue comes from contract sales to large manufacturers. They are so far removed from the end user that they are relying on their metadata to figure out what developers want instead of just asking them.

Adding a little flash to the GUI might endear people to the OS. I mean, sure, its customizable, but a lot of people just end up using it right out of the box.

I kind of hate that control panel is stuck using hyperlink style notation to reference setting options. I realize that doing so helps conserve namespace, (since there is only so many reference tags a user can hold onto at once) but I would like some icons at least.

>le forced updates no disable meme
I'm sorry you're just bad.

>It would be great if you couldn't disable Windows Defender at all.
>couldn't disable
>windows defender
>Not leaving all your ports open and letting the internet ride your PC bareback

>2015 LTSB
>in 2017

as if they spend money on windows.

they've been paying minimu wage pajeets to rehash windows 95 since 1995.

Oh yeah baby! Stuff it in my SMTP port! Raw dog my TCP/IP until it bleeds!

I kind of feel sorry for Gates. (Bill not Daryl)
I feel like he lost control of his company.

I mean the guy made it onto Saturday Night Live back when it was still good. Thats more than you can say for Steve Jobs.

His staff is probably plagued with suck ups and hanger ons from when he was a poorfag. Giving your friend a job is one thing, paying for his pool extension on his summer condo with your christmas bonus is another.

there was honestly a time when we thought that Bill Gates might take over the world.

lol, Bill Gates should run for president.

1. Opened source on the kernel and all the windows core components so it can be debotnetted

>it matters

look up "windows 10 god mode" but ya, i feel you on that.

Easy:
1: Win10 Kernel + Win7 userland
2: Bust up svchost
3: delta updates
4: Leave me the fuck alone
5: Tabbed file browser
Hard:
see above, plus:
1: Make ReFS support everything needed to install Windows on it
2: Don't auto install horseshit
3: Compression by default
4: Reduce space wasted by multiple languages and unneeded drivers (every gig helps on a small VM lab)
5: Configurable RAM compression & swappiness
God:
1:) Auto update
2:) tiered access to gpedit
3:) XAML everything (the last preview before it 4:) booted faster on an HDD than 8.1 on an SSD)
5:) registry (WINE has a good alternative system)
6:) DX12
7:) The search system. If we must, Cortana can stay, but when I search for shit in something other than a web browser, I'm not looking for web results.
8:) CMD. What the hell does it do that PS doesn't?
9:) synced accounts. handy, but pain in the dick to help clients who lock themselves out.
10:) Built in HyperV. It breaks more than it works for me, even doing something as simple as restarting a guest can kill switching.

strict segregation of system, user and application data
efficient code sharing
allocate resources effectively
these are the only two things an operating system needs to do

three things an operating system needs to do

ez moud
1 merge PS and CMD, make it fully linux terminalized
2 tiling window manager
3 no snoopy
4 shutdown the second after I click poweroff, not half an aeon later
5 keyboard shortcut customization, like in xfce

1. Less intrusion and more OS hands off
2. Remove game mode and anything else that trys to "manage" gaming
3. Remove tiles
4. Replace edge with a choice of chrome or firefox and save everyone a step on setup
5. The ability to update without constant reatarts

Being able to install GNU/Linux through cmd while overwriting all Windows partitions would be a good start. Send my regards to the pajeet in charge of Microsoft.

>shut down the second after i click poweroff

This is unrealistic

1. Better font rendering. I know the story behind it, I know Microsoft has patents and invested in the current system and believes it has better legibility, but it actually looks horrible.

2. A unified UI concept. Those old file properties, Run window, administrative tools still have the old blocky UI.

3. Opening folders while drag-and-dropping. Tabbed file explorer. Native dark mode theme for explorer etc.

4. Native file previews on pressing spacebar.

5. An actually usable hardware/software issues log, I can use to identify why the pc actually crashed at one point. The current tools are unable to properly identify why the system crashes. At least, not in the system event viewer. Haven't been able to open memory dumps yet.

Ability to apply updates without restarting. Ability to apply updates while still using the computer. Ability to not be interrupted by the operating system when I'm in the middle of something.

> No built in malware
> No telemetry
> No botnet
> No fucking ads in the music player
> No phoning home
> No data mining
> A default background image that isn't downright tacky so I don't have to worry about finding a new one

>EXCEPT Cortana
When you try to treat a person's cancer, do you leave the most malignant tumors in place and think it's going to work?

1- BSD-inspired kernel
2- reworked explorer (functionality + interface)
3- redesigned UI
4- updates that don't require my machine to reboot and hold it hostage for an eternity
5- EXT4 as a filesystem

1- Reworked explorer.exe (make the taskbar and the file manager their own processes)
2 - Better explorer UI/UX (tabs, split panels, add tags like in macOS etc...)
3 - Single and consistent interfaces
4 - better font rendering
5- better scaling for high res monitors
6- Something like resume from OSX/macOS
7- switchable interface (from desktop to tablet mode)
8- stronger security
9- 2 versions only: basic and pro maybe 3 (enterprise/embedded idk)
10- repos to download software from powershell