/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) starts getting Android 7.0 Nougat update
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-A5-2017-starts-getting-Android-7.0-Nougat-update_id93695

Qualcomm to introduce Snapdragon 660 SoC on May 9th?
phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-to-introduce-Snapdragon-660-SoC-on-May-9th_id93703

Waze adds Mr T to its celebrity navigation voice options
phonearena.com/news/Waze-adds-Mr-T-to-its-celebrity-navigation-voice-options_id93693

Moto G4 Plus 64GB on sale 199.99 at B&H
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1251443-REG/motorola_00967nartl_moto_g4_plus_xt1644.html

Sony Xperia X Ultra specs leaks with tall 21:9 display
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_x_ultra_leaks_with_tall_219_display-news-24817.php

Nokia 8: Android flagship to launch in June with Snapdragon 835
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3006031/nokia-8-android-flagship-to-launch-in-june-with-snapdragon-835

Samsung Galaxy S8 Review! (Tim Schofield)
youtube.com/watch?v=xq4ga-qbEhA

Samsung Galaxy S8 Review! To Infinity And Beyond? - Pocketnow
youtube.com/watch?v=X0Cp6KGLt2Q

old

Other urls found in this thread:

boostmobile.com/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/features/Silver,128GB/
glyde.com/buy/used-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-32GB-Black-Verizon/12080120
kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-smallest-4g-smartphone
forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/07/04/push-notifications-not-coming-through-to-your-huawei-phone-heres-how-to-fix-it/
youtube.com/watch?v=mvS7z0TgWe4
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/moto-g5-plus-review-still-good-and-cheap-but-not-the-bargain-it-once-was/
theverge.com/2017/3/24/15045140/moto-g5-plus-review-price-specs-value
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Poastin again for more possible suggestions.

Need a recommendation:

>USA
>T-Mobile (want band 12 support)

Wanted:
>Long ass battery life/huge ass battery
>Good community support
>Good camera
>SD card slot
>Fingerprint reader
>5" or LESS (if possible)

Budget is US$300-ish.

Should I go with G4 Plus or G5? G4 seems to have more megapixels and better processor

iPhone SE 128GB from Virgin or Boost
unlock it for $20
Comes in under your budget and meets all criteria except SD card slot

Look into an s5 and purchase a third party battery and custom back panel

DTEK 50 vs PRIV vs BlackPhone 2 or wait for mcafee privacy phone?

who is this demen semon?

Moto G5 Plus

>better processor
That's up for debate between the 617 and 430
>more megapixels
Who cares? That's not the most important part of a sensor and the camera apps on Moto phones are garbage anyways
The other main difference is that the screens are different with the G4 Plus having a better resolution and larger screen

Zuk Z2, Honor 8.

What do you think about the HTC 11 news?

Trying to decide between Moto G5 Plus and Xperia XA1. There isn't much in the way of reviews for the XA1 yet, so I'd love to hear from anyone that has one. Especially in regards to battery life, which is really important to me.

>Xperia XA1
>mediakek
G5+ by a mile.

>he has a carrier
>he uses stock Android
>he uses googleshit
>he uses closed source/non free shit

Fuck are you doing user?

Is this pretty much my only option if I want a decent phone with a small display?

>iphone
user didn't say he sucked cocks on a daily basis like you do.

xperia compacts are good too

iPhone SE

Any word on the Oneplus 5 getting the snapdragon 835?

see

Strange, you're the only one here with an obsession for sucking cocks

boostmobile.com/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/features/Silver,128GB/

Crazy deal on iPhone SE with no contract

Dunno if there's a reliable way to unlock them though

So G5 then?

see

apparently it's $20 to unlock them

Anyone have an AT&T-compatible Android with a decent security patch that they're willing to part with? Just busted my phone and I'm holding out until the Z Play price drops.

I'm thinking of getting new phone. I'm with T-Mobile so what phone do you guys recommend?

I have a G5 and was looking into the S8

see

Why do Xperia phones have such mediocre reviews

Has anyone used the xioami redmi pro? If so what carrier?

I just want a 5.5" phone with a big battery. Was considered the OnePlus but holy fuck $600 isn't worth it

glyde.com/buy/used-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-32GB-Black-Verizon/12080120

this seems like a good deal, around $300 for "excellent quality"

what does that mean/has someone bought from here before?

Shit meant used it in Canada

Lenovo P2.

What are your priorities in a phone?

Samsung galaxy S7 vs One plus 3T?
need something that will fucking last

Why the hell would you upgrade a one year old flagship? You think they suddenly integrated unicorn farts or something?

OP3T

because tech journalists are lazy as fuck and only care about specs and not build quality since they write articles after spending 30 minutes with the phone

OP3T will have theird party ROM support for at least the next 5 years

are there any frequent complaints regarding the op3t's hardware. any bootloop like failures until now.
The 6p and 5x's abominations of battery failures, and bootloops didn't begin appearing until almost an exact year has passed after their release

sent you an email

no major complaints

There is a bluetooth bug affecting every Nougat device (pairing with old bluetooth devices like those found in cars and such)

Some people are reporting higher battery drain in OOS 3.14 but apparently it's been rectified in the latest open beta 6. I would just run freedom OS or lineageOS regardless

received ;^)

Lenovo P2, best battery life in a smartphone to date. Plus for £200 it's got really decent specs compared to most of the competition at the same price range

Redmi Pro is missing Band 4 AWS which seems to be a pretty common LTE band in Canada, I'd get a Redmi Note 4 Global instead, which has it.

Best phone for around $200? Mainly care about the camera for snapchat and video calls.

anyone do game boy advance/game boy emulation on their phones?

can most 1yr old flagships easily do it?

kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-smallest-4g-smartphone

Great idea for an MP3 player or take it out on a jog but that's about it

I just updated my Galaxy S5 to Marshmallow, what can I expect?

I'm not the other user but am in the same boat. Every review I've seen states that the s8 is the new Galaxy flagship. So why wouldn't I upgrade to the s8?

>So why wouldn't I upgrade to the s8?

Because there's a lot better things to spend $800 on than a 10% increase in performance and some stupid new form factor

How fucking goyed are you?

I have an iPhone 6 currently jailbroken on 8.3

Rumor has it that a jailbreak for 10.3.1 might be coming, should I update or just stay on 8.3?

just purchased a honor 8, how bad did I fucked up?

I'm having to upgrade regardless. My g5 is falling apart and the technical bugs have yet to be worked out. Atop that, the hardware is becoming outdated. I'm no more goyed than you are a tech critic. You read the articles and try to be edgy and different by going against the mainstream.

You did good. don't forget to protect your messaging apps.

forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/07/04/push-notifications-not-coming-through-to-your-huawei-phone-heres-how-to-fix-it/

>can most 1yr old flagships easily do it?
yes, even my original Galaxy S from 2010 ran gameboy advance emulator at full speed. Didn't play just gameboy games, I also completed Super Mario 64 (all 120 stars), Crash Bandicoot 2 / 3 / Racing, and got pretty far in Final Fantasy VII. A 1yr old flagship will emulate pretty much every console up to PSP / NDS (excluding PS2 and Xbox).

iPhone SE

No I'm simply a Nexus 5 user that realizes that people upgrading 1 year old phones are cucked consumer morons

Your g5 is falling apart? How is it not still under warranty?

Which one out of these besides ZUK Z2 and Mi5?

Bought a cheap plan from a cheap service. I use US Cellular bc of where I live and budgeting reasons

I like my g5 and I dont wanna replace it. But it needs it bad. And I've even consdered a replacement. But there's no sense in that as I'd be paying practically the same as I would an s6, OR I can upgrade to an s7 or s8 and get a better deal for upgrading

Stay on it for now.

Please don't frogpost

how does a 1 year old smartphone "need replacing bad"

At the very least you should be sending it in under warranty and getting it fixed

help

I think once I xposed this thing up it should be really good

kill yourself

>buying a used phone
>for verizon

you must be at least 18 years old to post here and off your parent's cell plan

Went from Android to iOS for a few years, but I'm fucking bored of iOS. Unless the 8 impresses me, I'm probably gonna switch back. I'm assuming that the LG G6 is the best phone right now? Had a Samsung and I can't stand Touchwizz, even if they heavily revamped it since then.

Honestly would prefer a stock Android phone, but if the 2017 Google phone is shit like the Pixel I'm not interested.

A friend of mine got the P10 lite today and after playing around with it for a bit I gotta say, its a really good deal.

>Nougat
>Nice display
>Not stock android but still a leightweight skin
>looks really premium
>snappy
>nice cam

It costs barely 270€ here in Germoney, which means it'll be even cheaper in burgerland and third world europe.
Can only recommend it.

WHY IS EVERY PHONE A TABLET NOW?

FUCK

xperia x compact

>microUSB

Use the warranty

yeah, usb c would be nice, still got quick charging tough.

Is the sd 650 the most battery efficient chipset

Note 4

Redmi Note 4, the Snapdragon version that is

This or the 430, surprisingly
Have had both and the 625 is better

youtube.com/watch?v=mvS7z0TgWe4

what can we expect?

Do you think the price jump from the Lenovo P2 to the OP3T is justifiable? I want a good but cheap phone that'll last me up to 2 years.

An overheating mess of a phone from a company that's lost their way

>I want a good but cheap phone that'll last me up to 2 years.

Moto G5 Plus

That wasn't in the options for a reason though, why anyone would buy that ugly piece of shit is beyond me.

>dark grey slate
>like every other dark grey slate
>ugly
also
>not using a case

Horrible space between screen and top of the phone. Absolutely vomit-inducing rebrand logo of moto, disgusting colour choices, curved like it's straight from 2012. That phone is a piece of shit.

>Horrible space between screen and top of the phone

sounds like you want a galaxy s8

>Lenovo P2
>has B28 support

Will this work in America? Also it's only justified if you want/need custom ROMs, a better camera, or you game newer games
Other than that the specs of the P2 are great, but I don't know anything about it's camera

>Something being designed horribly means you want that feature gone entirely.

Hurr. Plenty of phones get the sweet spot right, the g5 has a thumb width of space with a tinny front facing speaker, average camera and ugly as shit logo being displayed as if they were selling points.
The Moto G5+ is genuinely the ugliest phone out there right now, the people shilling it on here are doing other user's a disservice.

>muh design
fucking homo, neck yourself.

sounds like you are way more into design than specs or features

maybe you should wait for the new nokias or stick to sony

For me performance is an issue, I want the phone I'm using to be future proofed for heavy apps/emulation/multi-tasking. I'm asking if anyone here using the P2 feels that the phone will still be chugging along in a year and a half's time.

you forgot to mention the shittiest, most uncomfortable feature ever: the fucking gesture button instead of traditional buttons or onscreen buttons

Is the Galaxy S6 a bad idea?

I have a SD625 phone and yes I'm sure it will chug along nicely in a year and a half

This is why you don't get invited anywhere user :^)

I'd say I'm primarily interested in the specs. The MotoG5plus isn't cheap enough to justify it's middle of the road specs and poorman's design.

>The MotoG5plus isn't cheap enough to justify it's middle of the road specs and poorman's design.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/moto-g5-plus-review-still-good-and-cheap-but-not-the-bargain-it-once-was/

>The $229 Moto G5 Plus stands as the king of budget Android

theverge.com/2017/3/24/15045140/moto-g5-plus-review-price-specs-value

>Moto G5 Plus review: a new value champion

Is the OnePlus 3T a good purchase? I want something quick and snappy that's also developer friendly. I know the GS7 is on sale for the same price (~450USD) whats the wiser of the two?

Why doesn't xiaomi just add US lte bands?

I'm talking about the range of prices user, spending an extra hundred to get something that completely trumps it is negligible. The phone is not budget ENOUGH to make it's other sins forgivable. "HELLO MOTO" lol fuck off with that shit.