Why would someone pay for hosting when they could do it themselves for free?

Why would someone pay for hosting when they could do it themselves for free?

some ISPs block 80/443 outgoing. some institute data caps in America that are low enough to barely let people behave like normal, watching Netflix & YT, much less having enough bandwidth a month to host a basic webpage.

Why shoot a man before throwing him out of an airplane?

Why would someone pay for food when they could do it themselves for free?

Home internet connection are shit.

Time is money.

Your logic can be applied to anything OP, but when you have a functioning business and have shit to do like actually make money then you much rather pay a professional company to design, host and manage your website for you.

Not all of us here are NEETs

You mostly pay for the fast internet connection and electricity.

Mostly this.

It is a fine solution for sites of limited appeal, AKA neckbeard sites. It will be fine for you, user.

My VPS has a 1Gb/s connection that's not even available in my area, my home Internet is ass for personal use let alone for others to use it too, and not that they'd really do anything but I'm technically not allowed to host public servers on my residential connection

>mfw i had 260Mbit upload and unlimited traffic for my self hosted site last year but i had to move to a new apartment

>data caps
>low bandwidth
>higher security risk to your home network
>somewhat harder to configure

>data caps
Most people have normal broadband fibre connection. There are no data caps it's fucking 2017

No one offers slower than unlimited 100Mb/s in my area anymore. I don't think that's shit.

>murica

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In America ISPs can pretty much decide that you have a data cap without telling you. You won't know what it is until you exceed it.

I don't have a data cap but there are plenty of places in America with data caps.

because any respectable ISP will block 80/443 outgoing and SMTP.

Home connections are shit, and what type of hardware are you going to be running in your bedroom, a whole enclosure full of racks or a shitty thinkpad?

Not to mention if you're an idiot (which I presume you are because let's face it -- if you needed to ask and couldn't just search it up, you are an idiot), you put your home network and devices at risk due to misconfigured or insecure services.

You seem to have not left your parents basement before. Hard to realize, but yes, there are other places out there beyond the reach of the shadows thrown about by the stairwell leading up into that light

>because any respectable ISP will block 80/443 outgoing and SMTP.
Just fucking kys, nigger.
Any ISP which blocks ANYTHING should just fuckin stop and is retarded as fuck. Holy shit. Why would they even do that?

SMTP I can understand, but 80 and 443, no way.

CGNAT stops customers from hosting anything.

>Why would someone pay for hosting when they could do it themselves for free?

Not really free to setup a web server. Would need to have business class Internet with static IP, server hardware and networking equipt, depending on how much power you need there is noise and electric bill associated with it. Then this doesn't even touch on redundancy options - two different electric providers for each of the dual power supplies, backup machine running/ready to take over if your primary fails, etc etc.

Yeah you could run a shitty low bandwidth, low availability server at a residential internet price. If your provider doesn't block you from running a web server on your residential Internet plan.

any ISP which is not shitty upgrades to v6 and uses a dualstack, if needed, on their end before even concidering CGNAT

People used to run servers from home spamming emails and other BS.

Running the webserver costs more electricity than buying a hosting package

Mainly because of retards like OP trying to host servers on their home connections.

If your site gets hit or exploited, it's *their* infrastructure getting hit, their operations being hurt, and revenue lost to a neet hosting hentai with a broken Apache config.

Those of us who decided to live a greener life do not keep our computers running 24/7. It's cheap these days to rent a virtual server. Since it's virtual, the carbon footprint is 0 so I live a guilt free life unlike you fuckwards who're gonna destroy this planet before we ever get to Mars.

>Since it's virtual, the carbon footprint is 0 so I live a guilt free life unlike you fuckwards who're gonna destroy this planet before we ever get to Mars.

More virtual machines, more stress on the hypervisor/hardware, more emissions. Although I doubt it'll be too massive, probably still much better than an old desktop running 24/7.

You joke but my university honestly claimed this. They proudly boasted a couple years back that because they had switched from self hosted mail to using Gmail, they had managed to eliminate X% of their IT emissions.

>because any respectable ISP will block 80/443 outgoing
What? I'm not sure I've ever heard of an ISP doing that. I think that's specific to wherever you live.

if my ISP blocks ports 80 or 443 outgoing can't I just use other ports as a proxy then route them back to 80/443 after they pass through the ISP?

>university
>gmail
WAT WAT IN THE BUTT
MURICAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Do a quick search for "isp block port 80" and you'll find tons of threads and questions. Lots of ISPs do.

Enjoy your Russian DDOS

With a reverse proxy. You will need to host that elsewhere and pay for it though

Why pay for a burger when you can buy a Mcdonalds franchise and make your own burger?

>ISP will block 80/443 outgoing
You mean incoming.

>SMTP
That is a good default setting to reduce spam which originate from brainlet users. Most users don't need to have those ports open. If you call the ISP's admin, they open them for you. I've even got them to set PTR records for me.

No, Ireland.

Yes, I meant incoming. I was thinking in the direction of packets and stuff. Thank you.

Some ISP will ask you to switch to a business account to unblock ports. Also symmetric packages can be obscenely expensive, doing a colo at a datacenter is usually cheaper

They may not be intentionally "blocked" unless we're talking about a jew ISP. Many of them use shitty NAT configurations and it's just not configured to receive incoming connections. They never get any complaints so they don't bother changing anything. Just call them and ask for your list of ports to be forwarded to you.

>have to buy hardware upfront
>electricity usually costs more than the cost of a VPS
>no ddos protection
>no 99.99% uptime
>no gigabit speeds

That can be challenged if it isn't implied in the TOS you agreed to.

Why be a big guy when you can have someone else do it for you?

>wat is raspberry pi

Fucking moron.

Free is okay if all you're posting are your cat's pictures, personal files and a shitty blog noone cares about.

You can't run serious web applications from home.

100 megabits is shit

I use the cloud where everything runs on open technology. I think that means the ports are also open. Cloud technology is the revolution we've been waiting for. These days everything is based on cloud. Those who're using non-cloud services aren't able to keep up with the rapid progress in technology. Cloud computing makes everything more accessible and easier to edit and maintain synergy with all my devices.

>because any respectable ISP will block 80/443 outgoing and SMTP.

>North Korea
>respectable

A meme piece of shit that isn't suitable for anything useful other than MAYBE a shit kodi box. Can't even use it as a seed box.

sure, i'll host my business site from my home 800kbps upload connection

>He's talking about running CPU and I/O intensive applications on lightweight hardware in a thread about hobby personal web servers.

Fucking moron.

OP don't listen to these morons, this was a good question to ask but unfortunately this board is very, very low quality and in turn you'll get people like this idiot who will club you over the head with their ignorance

If you are hosting a small site then paying for hosting doesn't make much sense unless you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. The only security issue you're likely to run in to is DDOS and there are cheaper ways to deal with that than a VPS.

If you plan to run a huge business portal with a huge forum section, which will be sending tons of emails per day and which will be running resource-hungry applications all at the same time, you will need a dedicated machine.

In conclusion, unless you're uploading or handling heavy data, there's no point in paying for hosting when you can do it on your own for free

>He doesn't get a dedicated connection directly to his home.

What a loser.

Sure, if you only use that webserver as a webserver.
I used mine as a NAS as well and other services. It was already doing other stuff for me so the power consumption is fine. Draws around 30W max so the power consumption over a year is just a few bucks.

If you're smart about how you host you can do a lot with 100mbit.
Put all your images and any videos on third parties solutions you can embed, most of your pages will only be a few tens of kB meaning you can serve thousands of requests per second.

Chances are your personal site isn't going to receive that sort of traffic.

I host vpn, website (only used by me to check if my server is up), torrent seedbox, owncloud, and all sort of other shit that my 200Mb/s connection is more than enough for.

I have servers runing on a vm on my pc in my room, usually two: apche for random php and ftp shit and node for goofing around, also a server for an app i wrote is hosted on the same vm. I do this because i havent graduated school yet and live with my parents, where we have decent internet and *free* electricity. It'd take me months to explain why I need the servers, so I just asked them to not turn off the pc. Ever. Could anyone point me to some rookie pitfals that i should take care of security wise?

google: vlans, patch management, access control

I run a 24/7 plex server with... I dunno, over 97% uptime? But most of the downtime is from my ISP being stupid. That and power outages (my stuff is on a UPS but other links can go down). In the past things like hard drive failures were a big deal too (now I have a NAS).

If I could get a decent VPS at a decent price I'd be all in. Because then they can handle reliability and keep good internet speeds.

Basically it's like this - sometimes you can make do with the tools you have at home, sometimes you need a professional tool set. That's why you host through someone else - in the hopes that they're professional enough to keep your shit running.

It occurred to me that it would be really interesting to know what my friends actually think of me, and that I might be able to find out if I set up a website where you could post messages anonymously about how you feel about me. Then I could come back and see what people say. If anyone chats shit too hard, I could look up their IP address. It would only get about 20-30 visitors ever, so it shouldn't be too much strain on my regular computer, and I'd take the site down again after a week.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I think facebook is the place people go nowadays to seek attention

I'd post a link on Facebook and ask people to click it. Then I would see how they react with the magic of online anonymity. It could even be an interesting social experiment to see if they all call me a faggot when they know me in real life.

>shit upload speeds
>dynamic IP or behind two NATs
y-yeah I can totally do it

money is money

I have a shitbox monthly plan for $3. I can't electricity/hardware for that.

wew lad. you can't do what my host does not for ten times the money.

dumb nigger

DUMB FROGPOSTER

Because home connection's have a shitty upload speed, and that's fundamental for having a server. And I'm not counting on our shitty PCs and how hard is to mount a UNIX server.

Why wipe your ass if you're going to shower later?

Because your ISP will kick your ass for it they get uppity about that

a basic webpage uses less bandwidth than 1 20 minute show on netflix per month
I've hosted 30 websites on my home server for around 9 years on comcast. not only have they never gave a fuck.. even images etc with moderate traffic are less than 1 youtube video's bandwidth

>higher security risk for home network

not really

You don't think providing another entrance to your network increases the attack surface?

>100Mb/s
>Unlimited
Pick one. 100Mb/s means you are limited to 262.98 Tb per month.

I can't run my mail server throught residential internet. Almost all these IP's are blacklisted.

>still misinterpreting the grab them by the pussy

lol at all these people telling you to pay for hosting

The point is this. Lets say I am a business and I want to make a website and I check out the computation cost and it turns out I need 100 computers to run the website.

I have to hire a guy to go online and choose good computers, and then buy the computers for full price, then have them shipped to me, then build a building to hold the computers, and then put the computers in the builting, install them, put the software on it, develop it, bugest it, and then release it. And if I find out my business grows and I need 200 computers I need to build a building twice as large and do twice the amount of work.

With cloud computing they just make a fuck ton of computers they are never going to use and allow you to rent them.

So if you are a business that needs one million computers you can turn them all on INSTANTLY without having to wait. That's the point is the speed of it. And you only pay for what you use so when you turn them off you do not have a bunch fo computers left over that you've got to figure out how to sell.

It's interpreted as sexual assault.

You don't need 100 computers. These days many providers will let you choose one big cloud rather than many smaller ones.

>what are power bills

The energy to power more than one desktop for 24/7 will cost more than a VPS I guarantee you

It's not though

>The energy to power more than one desktop for 24/7 will cost more than a VPS I guarantee you

Running a desktop 24 hours a day for a year (assuming 10 cents per KWH) = $66

VPS Hosting Monthly Price:
Standard Enhanced
$29.99 $59.99

I cannot host anything, literally nothing doesn't get past all those ISP NATs, so I have to pay for hosting

m-me too

woah....so ur saying sparsely populated countries like rhe us canada and austealia have bad internet....hmmmm

*thoughts*

this

>for free
explain to me again where you get a free internet connection, a free computer and free power from?

>they could do it themselves
How would you map a domain to your dynamic IP?

>And revenue lost to a NEET hosting hentai with a broken Apache config

afraid.org