Previous thread: >>60156775

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:

Softmod Only
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Hardmod
T430 - 14", normal size
X230 - 12.5", ultraportable

Modern (Touchpad swap heavily recommended)
T440p - 14", normal size
T440 - 14", ULV, better battery, worse CPU
X240 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg (outdated, good starting point)

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01N4H50EK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0xJczbBJ7VSYB
ebay.com/itm/New-Notebook-Wifi-Wireless-Network-PCI-Express-Card-Lan-for-T420-l430-w530-/351958320876?nav=SEARCH
hardenedlinux.github.io/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/ps500104
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for THICC pad

Second for do not get gimped by sata2 speeds.

>recommending any **40 thinkpad
Piss off op. They were fucking garbage.

>keeping your **20 because you're too lazy to do some simple mods

kys. Nothing wrong with **40 if you're willing to swap the touchpad and like the look. Especially if you want a ULV.

I need to replace the networking card in my T420, it seems my MAC address was blocked from a certain network.

Will one of these work?
amazon.com/dp/B01N4H50EK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0xJczbBJ7VSYB

ebay.com/itm/New-Notebook-Wifi-Wireless-Network-PCI-Express-Card-Lan-for-T420-l430-w530-/351958320876?nav=SEARCH

You know you can spoof your mac, right? In just about any OS.

You don't need to get a new card.

just buy any WiFi card that uses N standard or get an AC

Ubuntu GNOME is giving me a lot of trouble with it, it constantly reverts back to the permanent MAC upon connection, even with parameters in the network config file specifically telling it not to do so.

Does anyone else heavily dislike the classic Trackpoint + Buttons?

And I don't mean I like the **40 garbage. I mean it seems like they just got the Trackpoint/Button configuration *just right* starting with the **50 series. I find myself using the touchpad on the classic ThinkPads more than the trackpoint, where on the newer Thinkpads it's far more comfortable for me to use the TrackPoint over it.

I think the TrackPoint buttons are to blame, but it also feels like the old TrackPoint heads are rougher. Might order a new one and see how it feels.

Why would you "want" ULV when the severe limitations of the models objectively negligate any battery life advantages?

I don't dislike the old style but I do prefer the new style.

You wouldn't, they're shit, but some people prefer the battery that much - I used to be one of them until I switched. The T440p is a good model though since it's exactly like the non-p ThinkPads before it, just in a new shell and has an easily swappable TouchPad.

>chinese knockoff 9 cell battery for T60
>notice the port on the battery itself is mushed up a bit, causing it to lose contact with the motherboard if slightly bumped on a table (REALLY ANNOYING WHEN MOVING IT AROUND)
>fold gum wrapper to fit behind and adjust the battery's port to stay in place
>problem solved, tried banging battery against table and T60 stayed on
>remove battery to inspect
>gum wrapper fell down the battery's shell and is irretrievable
>problem is fixed though
Is that shit gonna melt? Should I worry?

I haven't used a thinkpad trackpoint yet, however I did like the e6420 trackpoint on the dell latitude and found it extremely useful.

>chink battery
yes you should worry get a real one.

Literally one of the the first things on my list after I get my shit together.

To the fag that was shilling this.

Why shouldn't I get a x131e/x140e instead of pic related

I dunno but the x120e is more aesthetic

If you live in the US they cost like 50 bucks so why bother, just get the one you feel like getting and if it fails get the x120e

t. x120e owner

They're all hot garbage, who cares

Just bought a new 9 cell battery for my X220, how can I keep it in best health? And are there any tlp configs that are best for it?

Why is your pic mirrored?

x120e is cheaper and smaller

Good Linux desktop for desktop beginners?

I work in SSH and use Linux cloud VMs all day so I'm comfortable with the terminal, but as a desktop I'm clueless.

x201 tablet getting random, 0 warning shutdowns pretty frequently now. Anyone else experience this? Heard the line had motherboard issues and now I'm a little freaked out.

is isn't it super slow tho.
You'd be better off getting a x200

if you think the x120e is slow you never tried the x100e.

Well I didn't because I figured they were super slow.

But lately I've been tempted to get a x131e/x140e as a comfy shitposting device but they are as expensive as a x220 so I don't know.

Also might try the 810 g1.

again, you can replace motherboard in x120e with edge 11 one, which has i3-380um cpu on it.

wtf is a UM processor? Precursor to ULV?

keyboards on them are like typing on a wet sponge

last line where you could do a kb swap was the **30

the **40 was when quality really started going downhill

Some people like them. I don't. I'm not sure why you're arguing against preference. Plenty prefer the new keyboard. There's nothing wrong with having options.

It has a passmark score of 1162...
idk, I might try to get one for cheaps and see how it works with a motherboard swap.

If it's shit, I'll rape you

So, what is everyone doing about the Intel AMT in their post-Peryn Thinkpads? Are we going to have to rely on Lenovo to issue a firmware update for our aging xx20s or am I going to have to tinfoil back to my T60p?

Are you just talking about the T series? the quality on the X1 carbon 3rd gen is great. my only complaint is it doesn't snap shut. which i think they fixed by the 5th gen.

hardenedlinux.github.io/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

Softmodders need not apply (yes, even **20).

Lenovo released a BIOS update to fix bugs in the T430 last month... it's not unlikely.

T400 or T420

What should I buy as a secondary computer ?
> It will be my first Chinkpad

>Are we going to have to rely on Lenovo to issue a firmware update for our aging xx20s
pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/ps500104

Seems like they are fixing it, though it's listed as at least a month away. It also sounds like people who have never configured AMT (so 99% of non-business users) are safe from the remote vulnerabilities in the meantime, right?

Also, a word of common sense:
Don't actually use the back panel as a chalkboard. As much fun my colleagues and I had drawing stupid shit on it, random words and letters managed to get permanently etched into the plastic. At least nobody got fingerprints on the screen.

>Ubuntu
lmao

Holy shit.
I thought this was all a meme.
Saw on eBay a grade A refurb X220 for £90.
Got it down to £55 with no HDD or RAM.

Threw 8GB DDR3 and a 120GB SSD in.

It's the best thing ever. The trackpoint is amazing to use, i never thought I would like it but not having to take your hands off the home row makes so much sense now, make going between nVIM other applications so much better.

And the keyboard. Oh my god. It's better than any mechanical I have owned or used, this laptop has literally only been used for presentations.

just ordered a 9 cell and new WiFi card, going to pick up an mSata SSD and turn it into a hackintosh for shits and giggs.

I also just bid on another...

I don't see how anyone can like typing on mushy chiclet shit that has poor tactile and sound feedback but whatever. They also fucked a layout that wasn't broken. Cheap chiclet Dell desktop keyboards feel better to type on than standard X line chiclets imo.
>there's nothing wrong with having options
Except you don't have options because Gookovo decided to throw away a perfectly good layout and keyboard design to get the Acer crowd

The T440p has a significantly better touchpad for those who use the touchpad a lot.

And I don't mean the meme one, I mean that if you swap it you get a normal sized one with better buttons instead of the garbage that exists on pre-**40 series where it's a sticker on top of the palmrest.

the *20 keyboard flexes a lot.fuck that chink trash
t43p masterrace.

anybody?

Is #/tpg/ dead? Can't connect to it.

Can anyone link me to some good cheap thermal pads? I have lots of thinkpads I need to clean out

we moved to discord

There's a discord?

I figured it out, turns out you need to leave the first three sections of the MAC address unchanged, otherwise the hardware rejects it and just automatically reverts it. I'm a bit surprised, I didn't expect to have to do that on a Thinkpad.

You sure it's first three? Normally it's just the first octet, or you need to change the first octet to 02.

Don't blame IBM/Lenovo, that's nearly always a WLAN card restriction.

I was talking about the kb
maybe you replied to the wrong post

No, I know. I'm just saying, options. There's no "perfect" ThinkPad currently in my opinion. 20/30 come close, but there are good things about the **40 series that is overlooked.

x230t from ebay.

Replaced Thermal Compound

Still 53c :(

Anyone?

I suppose it's subjective but 20/30 is the closest to perfect since it has the old style body builds and you can retrofit a 20 line keyboard onto a 30 with bios mod

I heard the 40 had some thermal issues combined with the redesign fuckup so that doesn't put it into a very good light. Ofcourse, you can get a good touchpad in a 40 but you're stuck with chiclet. I don't have a source on the thermal problems, iirc I heard it on here

It's funny how we're moving further and further away from good quality with every gen release

you did all there was to do right?

replace compound and clean fan intakes is all there is to it afaik

I wouldn't worry too much. P

my thinkpad that I use in a docking station is producing random gibberish when I type with an external keyboard. What could be causing this?

I'm being offered a free laptop as a gift for finishing my first degree. I want to get something new. Are newer Dell Latitudes better than newer Thinkpads? This one is mainly gonna be for work and school and I plan on duel-booting windows and a *nix distro on it, probably Debian.

53C is bad? Intel CPUs are designed to handle much more than that. As long as it is quiet when idle, it is ok. Don't expect much more than a couple of degrees when you replace thermal paste anyways.

Eh again, good quality is subjective. I have a P50s from last gen and I'm returning it because I like my "new" modded T430 better and Lenovo has been (((repairing))) my P50s for nearly two months (I could do it, but I didn't wanna shell out for parts when I had warranty).

What I dislike about the newer gens is the keyboard and lack of moddability. They're still the best consumer laptops IMO.

Max specs t470

This is going to sound like a stupid reply (which it is), but you just convinced me the chicklet keyboard isn't so bad.

It seems the xx30 Thinkpads can get the old one anyway, but on a tablet version of the laptop it's like, who gives a fuck? The thing's a hedonist machine anyway so maybe just swallow what it offers withot worrying too much.

When it's not a tablet though your "who cares" buffer is gone so I don't know.

My number one fear when ordering a Thinkpad online is its formerly being used by a chain smoker (or smoker period). Even if I record myself opening the package I worry there's no observable proof the thing smells like and is coated by inhaled cancer stick.

I think buying one that used to be used for education or business is the best thing to do.

I read a blurb a long time ago that said the entire appeal of used Thinkpads is they're bought in bulk by business entities then mass sold a few years down the road, flooding the market with reliable, lightly-used machinery. So I think that's standard, but still...

I guess you mean watch whose hands I'm buying from, but it's all second-hand anyway, no?

Nobody really smokes outside of breaks when they are working or studying. I think your fear only applies to personal sales.

>(((repairing))) my P50s for nearly two months
holy fuck seriously? All warranties I ever dealt with was on site in max three days response

Didnt even have to ship. That's one thing they excel at from my experience. Never thought they would take that long with a top of the line P50

Found the guy who only likes air cooled Porches and buys tubes only made from the sixties and before.

I don't mind it, but some later ThinkPads (I am thinking X1C3) felt the nub was a bit too low.

desu I'm probably going to get a ThinkPad Edge E130 w/ 1.7GHz i5-3317u
I want it to see if it is better than the i3 X131e I have.
It's like the X130e without the big ass bumpers

X120e is OK but get the best AMD CPU you can find. a 1.4GHz from schools is just... terrible

Damnit Sup Forums he is a goner

where it at doe?

>duel booting
I think the sllim precisions are nifty, looks better than a W550s

Damn that sucks.
Did you post that you were excited getting one of these a few months back?

Hey OP put /tpg/ in the subject next time.
Some people auto-add it to their thread watcher

Yea that pissed me off enough to pimp out a T430 to replace it. I'm selling my P50s as soon as it comes back, if that ever fucking happens.

X201 user here. I want to upgrade to one of the newer X models (newer than x220). Give me a quicj rundown on the newer thinjpads. Some disirables:

No touchscreen
Buttons

>desu I'm probably going to get a ThinkPad Edge E130 w/ 1.7GHz i5-3317u
isn't the edge series trash?

>i3 X131e
give it to mee
REEEEEEE

Can I hotswap my HDD caddy and insert the DVD one? I'm using a T420 if that's relevant.

Yes, it is.
I believe the all of the 11" X-Series share the same body and frame as the edge models, only some slightly different cosmetics.

I think there is an X140e or X141e that might have an i5, but the E130e is much more aquirable.
The i3 X130e was just a fluke, though it does look a bit garbage after i dropped in a X120e display that doesn't look right. :)

Anywho, you can get mSATA on the X130's and later, X100 and X120 are missing out.

It gets pretty hot.
I use it as backup at my work since I have X120e displays lying around.

>Yes, it is.
Sorry, do you mean it's in fact trash?

saucey don't make me buy something I'll regret. looking for a comfyposting

my t430 ran at 35-40 :(

Yes

lol get the i5 E130 and u wont regret it.
It's just not as awesome as an X30 or X61. Dat build quality

Is a HP EliteBook 8560w worth buying for ~380USD?

It's got a Core i7- 2820QM (4 cores, 8 threads) and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M graphics.

Also is 1600x900 a good resolution, unlike the 1366x768 eye cancer

Anything below 1080p is pretty shitty, but below 15 inches it's at least bearable.

>lol get the i5 E130 and u wont regret it.
looking through ebay I can't seem to find any.

So I Just upgraded my x230's screen and added an SSD.

I plan on maxing out the RAM. Any recommendation on which Brand/Retailer to buy it from?

The cheapest as long as it's not fucking Kingdan or something.

It literally doesn't matter.

this.
brand ram is a scam. they are all made by samsung, sk hynix, micron and I don't know who else.

So I bought a thinkpad t420s and put linux on it like most of you guys, but battery life went to shit even after calibration and setting it up correctly. Is win7 just better in that aspect because of better driver support/hardware level support? I don't want to have to use wangblows just to get more than an hour out of the thing. I can always buy an ultrabay battery but I doubt that'll make up the difference. Even just browsing some times will drain the battery in an hour. ACPI is showing 64% capacity which is also shit but I tested it at the shop (little mom and pop that sells refurbished laptops) and it showed 94% capacity.

Yes, battery life on Linux is terrible

Do neets on Sup Forums just not go anywhere then? Because everything is running amazingly well for productivity on intel graphics but without battery to support it it's useless

>Do neets on Sup Forums just not go anywhere

Theoretically, a computer also needs to be plugged in on Ethernet for this exploit to work, right? I fail to see how one could exploit this over WiFi, especially if the killswitch is activated.

I might go back to using my T400 until the W530 patch is released in June.

kind of what I thought. I'll probs stick with linux on it for now and get an ultrabay battery but win7 is looking attractive just for long term usage if I'm working

>reliable, lightly-used machinery.
in rare cases
most of them are in an abused state

also, if you're that peculiar about buying used try to find a good local deal so you can see it beforehand

that's ridiculous
I don't get how this happened with aa P50s.

I've had a tech come to me to repair my iirc standard warranty lower end shitpads like X lines. I've never even had to send anything in. I don't get why you were treated differently for an expensive model like that

:^)

shit, here I thought their warranty was still respectable

anything but onsite is trash service apparently
Thanks for giving me one less reason to ever buy Gookovo again
Why did you need to ship yours to the repair center? Do they not offer onsite for a high end like the P50?

I was busy and didn't read up enough on it.(also assumed some shady third party "lenovo approved" shop was gonna fuck with it).

To any user with an x220.
Some user told me I could get nearly 6 hours out of the 9-cell battery? Is that on a new one and would that be on the i7 or i5 version? Which OS?
Looking forward to buying one, plz help me become a proud owner.

>Do neets on Sup Forums
what do you think

Absolutely great linux support.

T430, i7 quad with 35w tdp, 16gb 2133mhz, msata(satatII) ssd or sataIII ssd, and an alienware screen and a dock.