So are cursive supposed to be a more ergonomic form of writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hGtmUX7t088
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand
cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF
vimeo.com/45232468
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Eclectic_shorthand_by_cross.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's also used because it makes each letter more distinct and therefor much more difficult to mistake one letter for another on account of handwriting.

It's a more "absolute" form of writing latin characters.

>Age: 6 years
>I am 5.

In my opinion cursive doesn't really work that well on english, but I still write cursive in spanish with everything I can because it's faster, we don't use the letters that use more strokes as much as english does, it's also easier to tell apart the variables in math/logic when writing in cursive because you don't use cursive variables.

I like it, think of it as the katakana and hiragana of the alphabet, make cursive great again.

Cursive letters are far easier to confuse than block letters. There's a reason engineers use block letters

however, upper case letters are too slow to write. cursive is more legible than, and faster than, lower case. cursive is objectively the best

Yes

The Palmer method of business writing was made exactly for that.

What pen does Sup Forums use?

Faber-Castell Basic here.

Lmao

BY THAT LOGIC WE SHOULD WRITE LIKE THIS FROM NOW ON STOP

cursive is the writing style of civilized world after all

Cursive master race. Cursive handwriting is why my school carry is an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

/sci/lon here, I use a Kuretake Fudegokochi Regular brush pen. Here's video of it in action.

youtube.com/watch?v=hGtmUX7t088

1) You're supposed to write with your shoulder girdles, not with your fingers. This is the most major issue that people have with poor handwriting and cramps while writing.
2) Cursive was designed to be faster and more smoother than regular writing and there have been several different variants of cursive English script that have been taught over time. That said, the difference from writing in print isn't as huge as it's often hyped up. Definitely shoulder girdles make a bigger difference. One notable argument is that cursive writing makes it more natural for writers to think at the level of words instead of letters while writing.
3) There have been some official movements to get rid of cursive and among them there are some notable arguments. One for instance was that given the huge amount of information being produced by humans on a daily basis we will eventually be forced to start digitizing things just to make it navigable. Unfortunately OCR technology (until somewhat recent breakthroughs in machine learning) totally sucked at cursive and as such its use was being discouraged.
4) For whatever reason a lot of people have difficulty picking up cursive and it's really just better to focus on getting people writing than trying to critique the way they choose to write.
5) Cursive may be difficult to read and in general typography/design/calligraphy/lettering there are times when cursive may be appropriate and times when it may not be. There is no simple end all solution for how people should express themselves.

Developing your own flavor of print that you can write quickly and comfortably > cursive.

This. OP is fake news.

Is this really Dijkstra's handwriting? It's really cute! Do you happen to have a sample of his numerals, the letter z, and possibly some math?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand

THAT WOULDN'T BE THE WORST THING

thinking about making a font?

one apotl a tame that mere 3 stfe littl pigs one pig pig mada a hous of stew on made a hous of sticky and one made a hous of pride brcks T here was one huagry wofe T he woks x woj went to the house mad out og stwew and he stad pr hugga and he blend his his house down the little pig ranto the next house B wt the wt's wolf sottoud the pig and it wrent to the next house

this looks like a 4th grader wrote this

wallah

Yup, that's Dijkstra. cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF has some more stuff in it.

I wish I were that skilled. Making a typeface is hard work. It's not just about making a bunch of letters but you have to figure out kerning, weight, and a bunch of stuff so that at the end of the day you get these nice "even" looking lines of text. Typically a type designer will go through several iterations and choosing what to change requires both a good eye and some good amount of background knowledge in typography.

The reason I'm asking is because I actually just really like typography and have recently gotten into lettering. Lettering is similar to calligraphy except that in calligraphy you write words while in lettering you draw them (I'm the brush pen guy above). I've been looking for interesting sets of letters to add to my collection (for practice and inspiration when creating pieces).

Here's a neat video on art and type design.
vimeo.com/45232468

lmao, doesn't help that the kid has terrible spelling.

Awesome, Thanks!!

>he still writes stuff on paper
i thought i was on Sup Forums, not some gay shit like /sci/. you guys disappoint me.

>So are cursive
Bong detected

Cursive master race.
It really is faster once you master it.
I went to Catholic school and we were taught cursive in 2nd grade and required to write everything in perfect cursive from then on. You could fail a perfect paper if you had enough malformed letters.

Gregg Shorthand is superior though, I've wanted to learn it for a while and plan on teaching myself over the summer.

/sci/ is all about the LaTeX, you plebian.

>you can only write on paper

>he doesn't have an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

thats only legible for like 40min and than even the author cant read it

(Not true, by the way.)

this
cursive fucking sucks

>not buying a surface

No, not buying a Surface. Fuck Microsoft, and fuck Windows. There is nowhere near as much explicit support for drawing/writing implements -- or even for touch -- in Windows as there is in iOS.

>he bought a mac because he's creative

i can still be keeper of the most advance supreme hand stick writing tech elder scribe after nuclear apocalypse

I bought a Mac because I wanted a laptop I didn't have to maintain. Four years later, and it hasn't needed any maintenance more severe than a Delete key. Good decision.

I bought the iPad because I'm a student, and handwriting aids retention. The iPad Pro is the best portable handwriting implement available, full stop.

Lamy CP 1

>ipad is best
lolno
fucking phoneposters

It's most likely a guy learning arabic, don't bully him.

It actually is best, though. The Surface is no comparison. You can argue that Windows is better than iOS -- which is subjective, because what you're using it for matters -- but you can't argue that the Apple Pencil is bad.

>a house of pricks

This is why I use English secretary hand.

Only if the person that wrote it learned it in 5 minutes.

If you use a shorthand writing system as your literal job, it is hard not to write it down in non-job scenarios. Like when you are giving a note to someone else that sees it and reports you as a terrorist, you get deported to a country you've never heard of, then gutted in the name of a religion you never heard of.
Shorthand. Srs bsns.

>he doesn't have an apple pen

Cursive is suppose to be easy on the hands.

I used to have a nice Sheaffer, but it fell off a table and the nib got bent, and then I lost it, so stuck with a plastic Lamy Safari. Still a decent pen.

Beautiful but difficult to read and even harder to write.

He crosses his 7's but not his z's. Also, his 8's look weird (like funny S's) and he sometimes uses serifs on capitals but other times he does not. Overall still very pretty.

>pineapple pen

I unironically write everything like that.
I'm left handed though so my handwriting is awful.

>Mohat is your last name

Jesus this thread is full of idiots. Cursive writing is because of the ancient use of ink and quill. You couldn't write one letter at a time without making a mess because of the constant lifting between strokes. It became easier to write every letter or word in one stroke which also increased the speed of writing.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive

Hahahahah penlets never learn

cursive in this case was used for encryption

Absolutely should.

Like was literally developed and optimized over thousands of years for hand stick scribbling not a machine

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Eclectic_shorthand_by_cross.png

wow English Hiragana is a mess

>It's also used because it makes each letter more distinct and therefor much more difficult to mistake one letter for another on account of handwriting.
you know we're talking about cursive, right?

The title says 5 years 7 moths so I guess it rounds to 6

imagine if you write that way on a exam/test.
teachers think you are just making random lines, but when they tell you to read what you wrote, oh boy the reaction...

I don't disagree

I know french shorthand

My mother writes like this.

ITSHOWROMANSDIDSOITSLOGICALLYTHEBESTWAY

Before like 2010 I noticed, people cared about their handwriting. Even when I'm not trying, my handwriting doesn't look like trash. I've seen a lot of adults my age with that of a 10 year olds. And it's pathetic.

The issue now tho is that people aren't communicating with letter anymore like they use to. Hell, email is on it's way out and soon will be on other forms. But really, with cursive, it's easier if you know how to.

g2

>he's a lefty
>neat I am too!
>has shit handwriting
b-but... how? Seriously? Do I need to write something up to show Sup Forums how my handwriting looks compared?

>Not writing like this.

It's funny realising something so basic (literally 1st year of Elementary School) differs nation to nation.

As I was growing up in the 90s and a bit of the 2ks, I took up a bit of calligraphy. It's sad that no one takes this as a serious profession anymore. The generation that truly appreciates it is dying off. It's a nice form but ya know, it's going out...

I heard most schools aren't even teaching kids the basics of cursive and if it's JUST legible, that's all that matters. So if you can just write with your toes, you're all set.

Uni-ball Signo DX

Mitsubishi makes good pens

Made with GNU/Trackpoint (tm)

>tfw forced myself to move to cursive full time
>now enjoy writing
I love this shit.

both of those are unreadable

Fixed.

Fixed.

G2 is a pretty good pen my dude

>My name is Isiah
Dropped

Not technology.

I'm a lefty too and my handwriting is trash
Most of the time I write in almost all caps

>not writing in cursive with a cursive italic or stub nib fountain pen
Disdain_For_Plebs.jpg

It's better than writing out letters the way you see them on a printed page, but it is a lot slower than and harder to read than typing. Plus typing has all the advantages of being an electronic format (searchable, etc.).

I don't get why the strikethrough meme is forced in schools. It's much faster to read when the errors are blacked out, and it doesn't slow you down that much when you write.