Why do these tech type of people have long hair and beards?

Why do these tech type of people have long hair and beards?
Was it just the fashion back then so people today look up to them?

I noticed that I ,without deciding or thinking, grew long hair and beard and I'm only 25. Without any kind of plan to look older,edgier or wizardier.

Why do these things happen spontaniously to people who are more invested into computers?

that's what happens when you don't care about fashion (aka you're not gay, a cuck, or a normalfag). you spend more time and care more about the virtual world than the real world.

No time to worry about insignificant shit like getting haircuts when you're working on interesting and complex technology.

>was long hair and beards fashion in the late 60s and early 70?
Are you legitimately retarded?

Shit i've never really noticed it til now.
>Why do these things happen spontaniously to people who are more invested into computers?
bad hygenie for some, others would probably care less about investing time into appearance and grooming and put that time into programming, research etc probably not but idk

This sounds very logical,I am at peace now.
Was I asking that or was I asking did they do it because of fashion?

Computer science and computer engineering were relatively new fields in the 60s and 70s. It attracted a bunch of hip young people, who kept up with the trends and style of that age. They were hip back then because the US spent most of the 40s and 50s pushing science and math as cool subjects, and being good at school was considered a good thing back then (unlike now, where black dropout culture is dominant).

As these people grew older, they just retained the trends from that age. This is why you'll see so many bearded old professors in these fields. Also STEM fields in general fell out of fashion, so it stopped attracting young hip people and only nerds with no fashion sense whatsoever remained.

These new younger nerds look up to the old styles from the past and their professors and basically just copied them. Some may find excuses such as lack of interest in personal hygiene etc, but it's generally because they surrounded themselves with people with this kind of fashion during their college and university days. After college and university, the same nerds were too old to keep up with modern trends and styles and retained the hairy look.

>Was I asking that or was I asking did they do it because of fashion?
Well you did post Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, who most famously wrote the C language in the early 70's

It is weird to say they looked like that because they didnt have time or care for hygene since having long hair and beard makes you waste more time on washing that shit and drying unlike short hair and clean shave. I mean yea their hair was probably dirty and shit but still there is a limit (and its a short one) where you need to wash your hair because your skin which is deep beneath the shitty oily dirty hair starts to itches and then you will not focus on your work no matter how much nerd you are about your work. Beard itches also, and it makes you wanna wash it every time after eating unless you want to smell the shit under your nose whole day every day because of rotting or smelly food.

t. long hair and beardfag

ken seems to have gotten his beard later

That's exactly my point. They looked like that because it was fashion, and younger generations grew up in social bubbles where everyone looked like that, so the adopted that type of style.

How old are they here? Dennis already has nice beard and Ken is balding :(

Male balding starts in the mid- to late-20s and is quite rapid for some people. It's extremely individual, my little brother who is 22 is already showing clear signs, while I'm in my early 30s and only have a slightly receding hairline.

It's a status symbol. "I don't need to look professional to do my high-paying professional job, so I'll look like a homeless person because nobody cares to apply grooming standards to a grown man the customer never sees."

dmr says it's from about 1972, so ~30 years old

>tfw millenials don't know about rocknroll

you are just too lazy and don't care enough to trim yourself
there is no deep reason

Back then it was style.

Today it's either you are an edge lord and hide behind greasy hair.
Or you want to hide you fat double chin.

>Or you want to hide you fat double chin.
literally me

hahaha

A lot of autistic people don't take good care of their appearance.

>why do men have beards

uhh...wow.

>Never knew these old farts existed
>get called John Lennon every time I visit my folks during the holidays
>not even a hipster
I think it has to do with a mentality similarity than anything as shallow as fashion.Remember these guys were writing the rules in their field, like any other field mindsets gather and similarity show up when you apperance reflects your values, it just to happens beards were cool and anti-establishment/societies rules for the time,today it's still kinda true as you still see people complain about it in the workplace where most would choose to be baby face clean.

these guys just choose to stick with it long after beards coolish have faded.

It has nothing to do with PC, it's the lack of sex

It is because they know the work they are doing on computers is so important for humanity that they can not spare a single minute for anything unnecessary such as shaving. Einstein never cut his hair because he did not have time to do it.